Week 7 Matchups and Games Discussion

Moderator: bwgood77

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Re: Week 7 Matchups and Games Discussion 

Post#121 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:36 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Come on, Cam Newton and Matt Ryan actually won MVPs and led their teams to the SB. They didn't win, but they were straight up dominant players that were the franchise cornerstones for their team. Wilson won a SB as a game manager on a team that depended way more on their defense. He has never been a legitimate MVP candidate, because it's obvious that he's just not that level of player. Those are just facts.

Guys like Newton, Ryan, and Carr have proven WAY more as franchise QBs than Wilson has. I really can't comprehend how anyone could believe otherwise.

I have no problem arguing Ryan... and there is too short of a shelf life on Carr. But dude... Newton isn't as good a QB as Wilson. Neither from a leadership standpoint nor from a numbers perspective. And the QBR numbers don't lie even with Cam having 900 rushing yards more than Wilson going into this past weekend. 99.6 (2nd all time) versus 86.1 (27th all time)... and Wilson with 17 4th Q comebacks against Cam's 12. Who cares about MVP awards?

And as far as the franchise QB discussion... that's silly. Take either guy out of the lineup and both teams are screwed.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#122 » by Bulltalk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Come on, Cam Newton and Matt Ryan actually won MVPs and led their teams to the SB. They didn't win, but they were straight up dominant players that were the franchise cornerstones for their team. Wilson won a SB as a game manager on a team that depended way more on their defense. He has never been a legitimate MVP candidate, because it's obvious that he's just not that level of player. Those are just facts.

Guys like Newton, Ryan, and Carr have proven WAY more as franchise QBs than Wilson has. I really can't comprehend how anyone could believe otherwise.

I have no problem arguing Ryan... and there is too short of a shelf life on Carr. But dude... Newton isn't as good a QB as Wilson. Neither from a leadership standpoint nor from a numbers perspective. And the QBR numbers don't lie even with Cam having 900 rushing yards more than Wilson going into this past weekend. 99.6 (2nd all time) versus 86.1 (27th all time)... and Wilson with 17 4th Q comebacks against Cam's 12. Who cares about MVP awards?

And as far as the franchise QB discussion... that's silly. Take either guy out of the lineup and both teams are screwed.

I just don't get the Russell Wilson hatred. Here's a 5 foot 10 and 5/8's inches QB drafted in the 3rd round who flat out wins the starting QB position his rookie year, goes right to the playoffs, wins the SB his second year, has never missed the playoffs, even behind horrible offensive lines where he's running for his life half the time.

Not only that, but he's about as upstanding of a citizen as you could ask for in a football player, squeaky clean, a positive leader on and off the field, never says or even implies a bad thing about anyone, a player who constantly works to improve his craft, who plays even when he shouldn't, missing no games last year even when he was terribly hurt, is amazingly resilient and productive under game time pressure situations, etc, etc...

Where does all this hate come from? I don't get it.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#123 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
I just don't get the Russell Wilson hatred. Here's a 5 foot 10 and 5/8's inches QB drafted in the 3rd round who flat out wins the starting QB position his rookie year, goes right to the playoffs, wins the SB his second year, has never missed the playoffs, even behind horrible offensive lines where he's running for his life half the time.

Not only that, but he's about as upstanding of a citizen as you could ask for in a football player, squeaky clean, a positive leader on and off the field, never says or even implies a bad thing about anyone, a player who constantly works to improve his craft, who plays even when he shouldn't, missing no games last year even when he was terribly hurt, is amazingly resilient and productive under game time pressure situations, etc, etc...

I just know this. If it's crunch time and I need my QB to make a play that's going to either win or lose a game and I'm choosing between Cam or Wilson...

I'm going with Russ.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,618

Post#124 » by bmurph128 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

1. Where are you getting "hate"? For me I'm saying he's about the 10th best QB in the NFL. If I was hating, I would say he was in the bottom half. Top 10 is still a very good QB, especially today.

2. Probably where we disagree - but I think you're giving way too much credit to the QB position here. The Seattle Seahawks accomplished all those things, and they had more success when Wilson was the 3rd most important part of the team (defense/Lynch/Wilson) - now that he's the 2nd most important they haven't had nearly as much success - that's probably where our disconnect is.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#125 » by Bulltalk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:16 pm

bmurph128 wrote:1. Where are you getting "hate"? For me I'm saying he's about the 10th best QB in the NFL. If I was hating, I would say he was in the bottom half. Top 10 is still a very good QB, especially today.

2. Probably where we disagree - but I think you're giving way too much credit to the QB position here. The Seattle Seahawks accomplished all those things, and they had more success when Wilson was the 3rd most important part of the team (defense/Lynch/Wilson) - now that he's the 2nd most important they haven't had nearly as much success - that's probably where our disconnect is.

I was just using the "hate" term in the colloquially way it's being used now. That's all.

There are two ways to look at where I or someone else might rank Wilson. The first being where would you rank him right now in comparison, as in present QB play and past QB play. The second being where would you rank him as in present QB play and future QB play. There is a distinction here for the simple reason that I or someone else might choose Wilson over the likes of a Roethlisberger, Brady, Brees, etc... simply on the basis of their age and real and potentially diminishing effects of it upon their future performance.

Also, in the second instance, one might rank Wilson a little lower than some younger and less experienced QB because they might think that these younger QB's, based upon present play and future potential, will exceed Wilson as an NFL starting QB. There is obviously more conjecture involved in this latter case than the former one.

In terms of QB play right now, meaning this year and recent years, I would personally only rank a few QB's clearly higher than Wilson:

--Brady
--Rodgers
--Brees
--Roethlisberger

Then I would look at QB's that I deem you could make a decent argument for as being better taking the good with the bad:

--Rivers
--Ryan
--Eli Manning (hard to dismiss 2 Super Bowls)

Then I there would be the QB's that some might argue as being better, but which I simply don't agree, and don't think the facts bear it out, at least not yet, for one reason or another:

--Luck
--Stafford
--Newton

Then there's the QB's who might be playing pretty good now, but there's not enough evidence yet to make such judgments IMO:

--Carr
--Marriotta
--Presscott
--Winston
--Wentz
--etc...

As both a Seahawk fan and someone who considers themselves to be a somewhat objective observer, and assuming that Rodgers was healthy now, there's only a few QB's that I might insert over Wilson if I wanted to win a Super Bowl THIS YEAR:

--Brady
--Rodgers

There are only a few more I would consider:

--Brees
--Rivers
--Ryan

For various different reasons, I wouldn't consider choosing Roethlisberger or Manning. For other reasons, I wouldn't consider choosing Stafford, Luck, Newton, or any of the other younger QB's either.

With all this scattered thinking of mine in mind, and my needing to see more out of the younger crop of QB's, I have a hard time seeing Wilson ranked lower than 9th, and personally and currently I rank him somewhere about 4 through 7, depending upon my mood.

In the end, time will better sort out such distinctions.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Post#126 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Agreed. I don't like Cam off the field & as a leader, so I wouldn't choose him over Russ. But, he's the better player. I would take Ryan & Carr over Russ in a heartbeat.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#127 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Bulltalk wrote:Dak Prescott-With a line=yes. W/out a good line= No.
Eli Manning--Heck NO
Carson Wentz--I like Wentz, but I'd still choose Russ.
Kirk Cousins--I might, yes
Aaron Rodgers--Absolutely
Matt Stafford--Yes
Sam Bradford--No
Mitch Trubinsky--No
Drew Brees--Yes, but old.
Cam Newton--Better player, not a leader, so no.
Matt Ryan--Absolutely
Jameis Winston- No
Jared Goff--Maybe??
Carson Palmer--No
Brian Hoyer--No
Tom Brady--Yes, but old.
Jay Cutler--No
Josh McCown--No
Tyrod Taylor--No
Joe Flacco--No
Andy Dalton--No
Ben Roethlisberger--No, too old.
DeShone Kizer--No
Blake Bortles--No
Marcus Mariotta--Toss up
Andrew Luck--Toss up
Deshaun Watson--Maybe???
Trevor Sieman--No
Alex Smith--No
Phillip Rivers--Yes, but old.
Derek Carr--Yes
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by Bulltalk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:Dak Prescott-With a line=yes. W/out a good line= No.
Eli Manning--Heck NO
Carson Wentz--I like Wentz, but I'd still choose Russ.
Kirk Cousins--I might, yes
Aaron Rodgers--Absolutely
Matt Stafford--Yes
Sam Bradford--No
Mitch Trubinsky--No
Drew Brees--Yes, but old.
Cam Newton--Better player, not a leader, so no.
Matt Ryan--Absolutely
Jameis Winston--Toss up
Jared Goff--Yes
Carson Palmer--No
Brian Hoyer--No
Tom Brady--Yes, but old.
Jay Cutler--No
Josh McCown--No
Tyrod Taylor--No
Joe Flacco--No
Andy Dalton--No
Ben Roethlisberger--No, too old.
DeShone Kizer--No
Blake Bortles--No
Marcus Mariotta--Yes
Andrew Luck--Toss up
Deshaun Watson--Yes
Trevor Sieman--No
Alex Smith--No
Phillip Rivers--Yes, but old.
Derek Carr--Yes

Wow. I'm surprised by some of your choices over Wilson. Didn't expect it.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#129 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:09 pm

High 5 wrote:I guess I have to admit I was wrong about the Falcons not going the way of the Panthers. I had a lot more faith in Ryan than Cam, but he has been a disappointment to this point for sure. He can't lead his receivers properly and anything 20+ yards downfield feels hopeless after being automatic last season. Not that the receivers/OL are blameless and Sark clearly isn't Shanny (though he was also bad his first year), but Ryan has to play better for any of it to matter.

Sometimes we just have to take the homer glasses off every now & then. It's beneficial in the long run. :wink:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#130 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Bulltalk wrote:Wow. I'm surprised by some of your choices over Wilson. Didn't expect it.

Like I've been saying, we all overrate our own players. Russ is good (better than the average QB), but there are several QB's, I would trade him for straight up. He isn't an elite QB & I'm not sure he will improve much from what we see.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by Bulltalk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Wow. I'm surprised by some of your choices over Wilson. Didn't expect it.

Like I've been saying, we all overrate our own players. Russ is good (better than the average QB), but there are several QB's, I would trade him for straight up.

I don't think I'm overrating him. No way I'd take Cousins over Wilson for the Seahawks now. And it has nothing to do with overrating Wilson, or homerism to me. It has to do with wanting to win. In the case of Stafford, he has a great arm, a real talented thrower, but I question his leadership and judgment more than Wilson's. And what has he won, anyway?

As for the youngsters like Marriotta, Goff, and Winston...I'd need to see more. There's nothing that's clearly shown me that they are better players and leaders than Wilson yet. In other words, I wouldn't lay money in Vegas on them over Wilson now.

Difference of opinion. That's all.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#132 » by FNQ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Three QBs in the league I’d take over Russell Wilson. No hesitation in that either. He’s playing with a brutal offensive line and has for the past 2 seasons, and has to deal with lackluster running games too. He can run, he can move in the pocket, and he has a strong arm. And despite being a mobile QB with no OL, has not missed a single game in his 6 year career.

The definition of a born winner. Outside of Brady/Rodgers/Brees, not a single QB I’d take in front of him.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#133 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 pm

FNQ wrote:Three QBs in the league I’d take over Russell Wilson. No hesitation in that either. He’s playing with a brutal offensive line and has for the past 2 seasons, and has to deal with lackluster running games too. He can run, he can move in the pocket, and he has a strong arm. And despite being a mobile QB with no OL, has not missed a single game in his 6 year career.

The definition of a born winner. Outside of Brady/Rodgers/Brees, not a single QB I’d take in front of him.

Wow. Over Carr?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by FNQ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:03 pm

And sandwiched in between those MVP years are years when they've been woefully ineffective. Has Cam even cleared the career 60% completion percentage yet?

Wilson has been extremely consistent despite the entire depletion of his OL and running game, and is now in his 3rd year of being the main target on offense for defenses to key in on. His response has been back to back 4000 yard seasons, mid 60s completion %, and a good running game despite having minimal weapons to play with. Cam can lay claim to the minimal weapons part too, but he's far too inconsistent. Ryan has always had a ton of offensive weapons and a terrible defense behind him necessitating him to throw a ton. Give me the guy who's been consistent despite the Hawks' lack of investment on the offensive side of the ball.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by FNQ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
FNQ wrote:Three QBs in the league I’d take over Russell Wilson. No hesitation in that either. He’s playing with a brutal offensive line and has for the past 2 seasons, and has to deal with lackluster running games too. He can run, he can move in the pocket, and he has a strong arm. And despite being a mobile QB with no OL, has not missed a single game in his 6 year career.

Wow. Over Carr?

Absolutely. Carr is great, and mind you, I wouldnt make the trade (continuity and roster structure matter a lot), but Carr tends to fade down the stretch and will get into this gunslinger mentality sometimes that gets us in trouble. But also remember that Carr is behind one of the best pass-blocking OLs in the league, has two 1st round WRs in his hip pocket.. he's not had to make something from nothing like Russ has. If they were swapped, I think the Seahawks get much worse and the Raiders stay roughly the same. Russ' ability to move, plus having a legit deep threat and a borderline elite possession guy like Crabtree.. we'd be an extremely tough offense to stop. And can't forget that Russ' wheels make it so much easier for RBs to get loose too.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#136 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:09 pm

FNQ wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Wow. Over Carr?

Absolutely. Carr is great, and mind you, I wouldnt make the trade (continuity and roster structure matter a lot), but Carr tends to fade down the stretch and will get into this gunslinger mentality sometimes that gets us in trouble. But also remember that Carr is behind one of the best pass-blocking OLs in the league, has two 1st round WRs in his hip pocket.. he's not had to make something from nothing like Russ has. If they were swapped, I think the Seahawks get much worse and the Raiders stay roughly the same. Russ' ability to move, plus having a legit deep threat and a borderline elite possession guy like Crabtree.. we'd be an extremely tough offense to stop. And can't forget that Russ' wheels make it so much easier for RBs to get loose too.

Great point.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#137 » by DirtybirdGA » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:48 pm

You all discussed tiers while I have tears...
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#138 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:12 am

DirtybirdGA wrote:You all discussed tiers while I have tears...

Things will get better. :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#139 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:38 am

NFC East battle. Always fun to watch !!! Too bad both teams couldn't lose, :pray:
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#140 » by therealbig3 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:48 am

SMH, WTF was that Wentz?

But some of these penalties are BS. Jeffery getting OPI for that? And I didn't really see the hold on Lane Johnson either.

Return to The General NFL Board