Post#41 » by Bostondave » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:07 pm

Yeah, it was one helluva run.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Re: Pats legacy after Super Bowl 52 

Post#42 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:34 pm

Bostondave wrote:Yeah, it was one helluva run.

Boston fans have been so "lucky"/spoiled. The great Celtics teams of the past. The Patriots current run. World Series & Stanley Cup wins. It really is unprecedented. Crazy. It's why your so hated! :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#43 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:43 pm

History says this is "IT". The run is over. Quarterbacks dont play like MVP's beyond 40. The end is near. I don't expect them to make it back next year, because history says they won't.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#44 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:45 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:History says this is "IT". The run is over. Quarterbacks dont play like MVP's beyond 40. The end is near. I don't expect them to make it back next year, because history says they won't.

As much as I would like to agree, it's the AFC.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#45 » by hermes » Tue Feb 6, 2018 11:30 pm

don't sleep on the blake bortles revenge tour next year
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#46 » by therealbig3 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:44 am

RavenMad31 wrote:
laika wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:Pats deserve their props. Dynasty. But, I think they blew this game. They didn't play their top DB Butler. That opened up a lot for Philly's passing game. Who focused on his replacement.

And by "they", you mean Belichick. This was such an inexcusably bad decision that Kraft should consider firing him, especially when you consider that Belichick has failed at the most important aspect of his job for a decade now(producing a good defense).

It almost felt like Belichick was sabotaging the team after losing the power struggle to Brady/Kraft earlier this year. Bill has always been extremely overrated. There are a lot of coaches who could win a super bowl with Brady and Flores as the replacement defensive coordinator.

They have been in the top ten in fewest points allowed 13 of the last 15 years and in the top five for 7 of those years.
Where are all these coaches that could win all these Super Bowls? Why aren't they coaching my team? There isn't a coach in the NFL in the last two decades that wouldn't have been messing around with Drew Bledsoe for another five years when Bill had the guts to stick with Brady.

By advanced metrics, the only times the Pats had a really good defense around Brady were 03, 04, and 06.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#47 » by therealbig3 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 6:01 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:It's not even a matter of opinion, really. And regardless of how weak their division is, 15 straight years with 10-plus wins, and the past eight with 12-plus, is f'ing insane.

And the thing is, I don't think they routinely had the best talent. Not like, say, those 49ers teams in the late 80s and early 90s that were absolutely stacked. Most dynasties are built around a long-term of core group of Hall of Famers. You get past Brady, hands down the best QB of all time, and who are those guys? Gronkowski for sure. But Matt Light? Vince Wilfork? Richard Seymour? Moss is a legend but he was only there for three seasons or so.

Obviously they have had some quality players over the years. But who else could do stuff like sticking a WR at DB and make it work like they did?

Their first three Super Bowls, Brady was basically Alex Smith at this point. The defense did very well vs. very good offenses(Rams and Colts) and deserves a lot of credit for their early success. They also did well vs. Atlanta too. Rodgers outplayed Brady vs. the Falcons by a large margin, but his defense was much worse.

Rodgers wasn't close to as good as Brady against the Falcons lol. That's nonsense. His team's defense did worse, but he himself didn't play all that great. He essentially stat padded like crazy in the 2nd half...his team was down huge against a lax defense, of course he was going to put up numbers towards the end of the game. In reality though, he didn't play nearly as well as Brady.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#48 » by DirtyDez » Wed Feb 7, 2018 7:13 am

Pats get 3-4 guys back on D but they have some guys becoming FA's. Amendola, Solder, Lewis and Burkhead most notably. Amendola is almost a must to bring back given the WR injuries and his chemistry with Brady.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#49 » by Pharmcat » Wed Feb 7, 2018 2:18 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:History says this is "IT". The run is over. Quarterbacks dont play like MVP's beyond 40. The end is near. I don't expect them to make it back next year, because history says they won't.

ok max kellerman :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 7, 2018 2:45 pm

hermes wrote:don't sleep on the blake bortles revenge tour next year

Anyone sleeping on the Jags next year will rue the day. Including the locals and their NFC East bunkmates who have to play the AFC South next year.

At least we get the Jags here. Not that the Cowboys have ever established any form of home field advantage at the Death Star.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Post#51 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:07 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Bostondave wrote:This legacy feels like it's coming to an end. You'd have to be in the area to know and feel it. A lot of backstory and rumors of infighting. We're losing our two coordinators. But most importantly, for me at least, Bellichick's legacy is tarnished irretrievably because of the bone headed move of benching starting CB Butler. That was perhaps the craziest thing I've ever heard a coach doing to his team. Bellichick is a genius, but it's a thin line between genius and madness. Bellichick went to madness for that game. We still don't know why he did it. He wrecked the legacy with that move in my mind.

Take it from an expert on this subject. All good things come to an end. But it was one hell of a run... arguably the best ever. I sure as hell don't look back at the Cowboys of the 90's and remember how it ended anymore than I look back at the 70's Cowboys in the same way (except for Super Bowl XIII but I won't get into that because it just pisses me off...).

I remember those 5 total Super Bowl wins. And smile.

You just had to remind everyone of Super Bowl XIII. At least you didn't bring up Super Bowl V so I'll give you some props, :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#52 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:11 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Anyone sleeping on the Jags next year will rue the day. Including the locals and their NFC East bunkmates who have to play the AFC South next year.

At least we get the Jags here. Not that the Cowboys have ever established any form of home field advantage at the Death Star.

We haven't had a home field advantage since we left Texas Stadium. I guess Jerry never had a conversation with Red Auerbach.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:14 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Bostondave wrote:This legacy feels like it's coming to an end. You'd have to be in the area to know and feel it. A lot of backstory and rumors of infighting. We're losing our two coordinators. But most importantly, for me at least, Bellichick's legacy is tarnished irretrievably because of the bone headed move of benching starting CB Butler. That was perhaps the craziest thing I've ever heard a coach doing to his team. Bellichick is a genius, but it's a thin line between genius and madness. Bellichick went to madness for that game. We still don't know why he did it. He wrecked the legacy with that move in my mind.

Take it from an expert on this subject. All good things come to an end. But it was one hell of a run... arguably the best ever. I sure as hell don't look back at the Cowboys of the 90's and remember how it ended anymore than I look back at the 70's Cowboys in the same way (except for Super Bowl XIII but I won't get into that because it just pisses me off...).

You just had to remind everyone of Super Bowl XIII. At least you didn't bring up Super Bowl V so I'll give you some props, :wink:

I did watch the Mike Curtis INT of Morton over the weekend.

Feel better?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:15 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I watch two games I have on DVD every year before the Super Bowl. I watch the 1992 NFC Championship game and Super Bowl XIII. Every year. Because... I have to feel those emotions again. Keeps me grounded.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#55 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:16 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Feel better?

I think I told you before I always hated you, :wink:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:22 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:You just had to remind everyone of Super Bowl XIII. At least you didn't bring up Super Bowl V so I'll give you some props, :wink:

Feel better?

I think I told you before I always hated you, :wink:

:party:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#57 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:29 pm

Pharmcat wrote:

Am I wrong? Teams that lose the SB typically don't make it back the next year. Call it a "Hangover"... or whatever. But history also says QB's over 40 decline in play. They don't get better at that age. :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#58 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 7, 2018 6:45 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:

Am I wrong? Teams that lose the SB typically don't make it back the next year. Call it a "Hangover"... or whatever. But history also says QB's over 40 decline in play. They don't get better at that age. :wink:

I don't know. Cactus Kellerman kinda has a nice ring to it, :lol:
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#59 » by RavenMad31 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 11:05 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:
laika wrote:
And by "they", you mean Belichick. This was such an inexcusably bad decision that Kraft should consider firing him, especially when you consider that Belichick has failed at the most important aspect of his job for a decade now(producing a good defense).

It almost felt like Belichick was sabotaging the team after losing the power struggle to Brady/Kraft earlier this year. Bill has always been extremely overrated. There are a lot of coaches who could win a super bowl with Brady and Flores as the replacement defensive coordinator.

They have been in the top ten in fewest points allowed 13 of the last 15 years and in the top five for 7 of those years.
Where are all these coaches that could win all these Super Bowls? Why aren't they coaching my team? There isn't a coach in the NFL in the last two decades that wouldn't have been messing around with Drew Bledsoe for another five years when Bill had the guts to stick with Brady.

By advanced metrics, the only times the Pats had a really good defense around Brady were 03, 04, and 06.

Metrics are a fantastic tool for replacing hunches, narratives and common logic with actual facts. The one most important stat when judging a defense, however, is whether or not they are keeping a team from scoring. If you can share whatever it is you are looking at, I'd love to see it though. I'm always down to learn something.

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

We haven't had a home field advantage since we left Texas Stadium. I guess Jerry never had a conversation with Red Auerbach.

BJJ, if the '70s Cowboys could get the band back together and they beat my Ravens in the Super Bowl, because of you I'm not ever sure I could be mad about it.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#60 » by wco81 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:44 am

Oh man, just saw headlines on SC with a couple of Eagles players boasting about running fake walkthroughs in case the Pats were spying.

Some good trolling there.

Return to The General NFL Board