Nick Foles

Moderator: bwgood77

RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Re: Nick Foles 

Post#21 » by RavenMad31 » Tue Feb 6, 2018 3:17 am

My hunch is that, as Cactus Jack pointed out, there are enough teams to drive his value in draft picks above what his real value is. If a team is willing to offer more than Foles is worth in draft capital, they move him. They hold all the cards given they have very little of their cap space dedicated to QB. Worst case, they hold on to him this year as an affordable backup who is capable of winning a Super Bowl if Wentz goes down and then let him walk after the season.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,618

Post#22 » by bmurph128 » Tue Feb 6, 2018 4:07 pm

blazza18 wrote:
bmurph128 wrote: Wentz has been in the NFL for two years, and in both years has sustained an injury that caused him to miss time. You have Wentz cheap for a while - I would keep Foles and I think Foles would want to stay.

Wentz played 16 games in 2016. 16 games is the entire regular season.

My bad - he didn't miss any regular season games.

But he suffered a hairline rib fracture in his first year, and then the season ending injury in his second year - I would want to keep Foles for now.
Bostondave
Analyst
And1: 2,058

Post#23 » by Bostondave » Tue Feb 6, 2018 4:34 pm

Congrats Eagles. Foles surprised me. I don't think he missed all day. But as I said in the SB thread he didn't go against the best Pats defense.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 6, 2018 4:55 pm

I believe his past experiences will play into his decision... and he seems like the type of dude who hasn't squandered all that money he got after leaving Philly the first time. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he decided the grass isn't necessarily greener outside the Philly city limits, took a hometown discount and just stayed.

Don Strock made a pretty nice living holding the clip board for Dan Marino.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Bostondave
Analyst
And1: 2,058

Post#25 » by Bostondave » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:06 pm

Hometown discounts are rare. And he showed me a lot. More than I thought he had in him actually.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#26 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:10 pm

cksdayoff wrote:the end game of all of this is to win a super bowl. trade foles for what? a 2nd round pick? foles is worth way more than a 2nd round pick, what is a 2nd round pick gonna contribute that foles can't as a backup to wentz? eagles have two starting caliber QBs right now. that is an amazing insurance, one that is definitely needed for a team that may very well end up in the super bowl again next season

just because the eagles are one of the favorites to reach the super bowl for say, the next 5 seasons, doesn't mean that they will actually get there and win it. you maximize those odds with a legit starter behind an MVP caliber QB in wentz, at least for one more season

Most teams don't carry 2 starting caliber QBs, and the reason is not because of money.

Dont understand how a backup QB improves their chances more than say, a 2nd round CB/S. The Eagles may have won but a lot of their defensive inadequacies were exposed. And you never, ever choose strengthening the bench over strengthening the starting lineup, even at the most important position in the game. Otherwise why didnt the Chiefs just keep Alex Smith as a legit starter behind Mahomes?

And another huge issue that doesnt seem to be registering here: the locker room. Everyone knows that the Eagles want Wentz to be the QB, but when there are 2 starting QBs (and one isn't a surefire HOFer - Brady), tension arises. Players choose sides, locker rooms can be fractured easily. So even if Foles is willing to play the backup and forego what likely will be his best chance at running a team again, it doesnt make sense from an Eagles standpoint either. Max out his value, sign a new backup QB, and hope you don't need him, just like every other team in the NFL
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#27 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:12 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:I believe his past experiences will play into his decision... and he seems like the type of dude who hasn't squandered all that money he got after leaving Philly the first time. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he decided the grass isn't necessarily greener outside the Philly city limits, took a hometown discount and just stayed.

I think if he took a hometown discount and wanted to stay in Philly, that would ruin him. Very beta. The guy had 2 monster games in the NFC championship game and Super Bowl.. if he doesnt want to be a starting QB in the NFL, then I guess he won't ever be again
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#28 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:23 pm

FNQ wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:I believe his past experiences will play into his decision... and he seems like the type of dude who hasn't squandered all that money he got after leaving Philly the first time. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he decided the grass isn't necessarily greener outside the Philly city limits, took a hometown discount and just stayed.

I think if he took a hometown discount and wanted to stay in Philly, that would ruin him. Very beta. The guy had 2 monster games in the NFC championship game and Super Bowl.. if he doesnt want to be a starting QB in the NFL, then I guess he won't ever be again

Well - unless the Eagles decide to trade him (I wouldn’t), we have a whole year to see.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#29 » by cksdayoff » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:58 am

cksdayoff wrote:the end game of all of this is to win a super bowl. trade foles for what? a 2nd round pick? foles is worth way more than a 2nd round pick, what is a 2nd round pick gonna contribute that foles can't as a backup to wentz? eagles have two starting caliber QBs right now. that is an amazing insurance, one that is definitely needed for a team that may very well end up in the super bowl again next season

just because the eagles are one of the favorites to reach the super bowl for say, the next 5 seasons, doesn't mean that they will actually get there and win it. you maximize those odds with a legit starter behind an MVP caliber QB in wentz, at least for one more season

8-) 8-) 8-)
#failforfultz
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#30 » by therealbig3 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:25 am

I actually trust Foles more than Wentz at this point in their careers and think he's the better QB right now. Wentz is obviously the superior talent, but that hasn't actually translated into superior results.

Obviously you keep Wentz over Foles, the potential is just too hugely in favor of Wentz, but Foles just wins games and I actually have quite a bit of confidence in him being able to pull off an upset in the wild card game.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#31 » by JazzUte88 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:18 am

I used to think starting Wentz and having him as the guy going forward, but I think the Eagles need to win now and resign Foles and trade Wentz for other pieces.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#32 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 7, 2019 5:19 am

UtahJazzFan88 wrote:I used to think starting Wentz and having him as the guy going forward, but I think the Eagles need to win now and resign Foles and trade Wentz for other pieces.
Won't happen.
Foles strongly considered retirement last season. People need to stop acting like he's the better QB and I give him a great deal of credit for his success last postseason. Including yesterday in the teams win against Chicago.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#33 » by blazza18 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 7:32 am

The only way it happens is if Foles wins another super bowl and/or the lockerroom sides more with Foles. Hard to see it happening though. Pederson has said many times Wentz is the face of the franchise.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#34 » by XDevilBoiX » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 am

Eagles have a big decision to make, Wentz is the Franchise QB but Foles is the fan favorite right now. Foles somehow gets the job done and should be considered being the QB moving forward and he’s still young at 29. I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Post#35 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 am

blazza18 wrote:Pederson has said many times Wentz is the face of the franchise.

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#36 » by blazza18 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:57 am

Florio has been pushing that narrative for awhile. I don't really buy it. He played a full season his rookie season and 13 before a bad knee injury. There's no long term concern with his back from all report. Foles has never played a full season either if that's a reason why we should move on from Wentz.

And as far as the stats are concerned. Wentz played a full rookie season with the worst weapons in the league. Foles played in Chip's offense with Shady and DeSean. That they're so close says more about Wentz imo.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.

Return to The General NFL Board