Quarterback comparisons

Moderator: bwgood77

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Quarterback comparisons 

Post#1 » by Celtsfan1980 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:41 pm

I consider points allowed more important than yards allowed. I have expectations Wilson will be in the discussion of great quarterbacks later, but for now he's too young.
Seasons under 300 points allowed:
Montana 11 out of 13
Brady 8 out of 16
Manning 5 out of 17
Rodgers 2 out of 10
Brees 0 out of 16

Seasons under 350 points allowed:
Montana 11 out of 13
Brady 16 out of 16
Manning 10 out of 17
Rodgers 5 out of 10
Brees 8 out of 16

Best in points allowed:
1.Montana and Brady relatively even
3.Manning
4.Rodgers
5.Brees

Quarterback who has done the most winning:
1.Montana and Brady close
3.Manning
4.Rodgers
5.Brees

This won't happen in every comparison but in this case there is a correlation between winning and points allowed. Near 100% correlation. Even I was shocked after doing the research. Should we draw any conclusions from this(like Rodgers being underrated, Terry Bradshaw being overrated, etc.)?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,563

Re: Quarterback comparisons 

Post#2 » by hermes » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:45 am

wait, where is nick foles?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:
This won't happen in every comparison but in this case there is a correlation between winning and points allowed. Near 100% correlation. Even I was shocked after doing the research. Should we draw any conclusions from this(like Rodgers being underrated, Terry Bradshaw being overrated, etc.)?

I'm one of the biggest Bradshaw haters out there. But context is important when discussing him. Those first two Steeler Super Bowl wins were primarily won by the Steel Curtain and Harris/Bleier being dominant with an occasional pass to Swann (SB X comes to mind sadly). But - those other two SB wins don't happen without Bradshaw being spectacular. It's why I don't necessarily think he was overrated in the context of the era he played and the teams he played on. When he had to be great, he was. I don't include him in my Top 10 but he's there on the edge.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Celtsfan1980 wrote:

I'm one of the biggest Bradshaw haters out there. But context is important when discussing him. Those first two Steeler Super Bowl wins were primarily won by the Steel Curtain and Harris/Bleier being dominant with an occasional pass to Swann (SB X comes to mind sadly). But - those other two SB wins don't happen without Bradshaw being spectacular. It's why I don't necessarily think he was overrated in the context of the era he played and the teams he played on. When he had to be great, he was. I don't include him in my Top 10 but he's there on the edge.

The last Super Bowl:team allowed 14, 13, and 19 points. Maybe you can inform why Bradshaw gave them that victory and not their defense? In today's NFL if a quarterback puts up underwhelming numbers for many years early in their career(as Bradshaw did) they get cut. More than anything that is why Bradshaw was overrated.

Given our past discussions maybe you can now respond to the main point of this thread, since you've claimed winning is very important while my research clearly shows winning and points allowed are close to 100% correlated.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Celtsfan1980 wrote:

The last Super Bowl:team allowed 14, 13, and 19 points. Maybe you can inform why Bradshaw gave them that victory and not their defense? In today's NFL if a quarterback puts up underwhelming numbers for many years early in their career(as Bradshaw did) they get cut. More than anything that is why Bradshaw was overrated.

Given our past discussions maybe you can now respond to the main point of this thread, since you've claimed winning is very important while my research clearly shows winning and points allowed are close to 100% correlated.

Tell you what Chief...

You stick with your slanted analytics and personal observations and whatever random BS you choose to make your points and I’ll stick with the good old eye test. Because in the end you’ll still be trying to prove to the world that Brady isn’t the best QB ever while the majority of football fans will just look at you and shake their heads.

Peace. Out.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,433

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:09 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Celtsfan1980 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Tell you what Chief...

You stick with your slanted analytics and personal observations and whatever random BS you choose to make your points and I’ll stick with the good old eye test. Because in the end you’ll still be trying to prove to the world that Brady isn’t the best QB ever while the majority of football fans will just look at you and shake their heads.

Peace. Out.

Otis with his own mic drop! :lol: :thumbsup:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:27 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Celtsfan1980 wrote:The last Super Bowl:team allowed 14, 13, and 19 points. Maybe you can inform why Bradshaw gave them that victory and not their defense? In today's NFL if a quarterback puts up underwhelming numbers for many years early in their career(as Bradshaw did) they get cut. More than anything that is why Bradshaw was overrated.

Tell you what Chief...

Peace. Out.

Some people take themselves and their opinions way, WAY, WAY too seriously. I just want to sing.

And watch the Stars...
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#8 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:21 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Tell you what Chief...

Peace. Out.

Some people take themselves and their opinions way, WAY, WAY too seriously. I just want to sing.

And watch the Stars...

We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:12 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Otis with his own mic drop! :lol: :thumbsup:

And watch the Stars...

Should have polished off a six pack last night instead. Stars got drove.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,433

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:06 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
RaoulDuke79 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

And watch the Stars...

Should have polished off a six pack last night instead. Stars got drove.

I caught the Leafs/Bruins game last night. A good one.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#11 » by jwise44 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:30 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Tell you what Chief...

Peace. Out.

And watch the Stars...

I miss Ernie...can we unblock him?

Arguments like these where both intelligent posters make good points and have explained coherently why they stand by what they believe need an Ernie to join and make some random proclamation like, “cutler is better than all of them“

(Still jet-lagged from vacation)
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,271

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:12 pm

jwise44 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Otis with his own mic drop! :lol: :thumbsup:

And watch the Stars...

Arguments like these where both intelligent posters make good points and have explained coherently why they stand by what they believe need an Ernie to join and make some random proclamation like, “cutler is better than all of them“

Shouldn't you be more focused on your future marriage? :wink: :lol:
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#13 » by jwise44 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 1:05 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
jwise44 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

And watch the Stars...

I just spent 2 weeks in Hawaii with her and she’s gonna be moving in to my house when her lease is up...she let me off my leash for a little while to talk about sports to let me know I’ve been a good boy

Oh god I said my house!!!! I meant that my house will become her house!!! The leash shall be back on soon for my terrible mistake :noway:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:36 am

jwise44 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
jwise44 wrote:I miss Ernie...can we unblock him?

I just spent 2 weeks in Hawaii with her and she’s gonna be moving in to my house when her lease is up...she let me off my leash for a little while to talk about sports to let me know I’ve been a good boy

Oh god I said my house!!!! I meant that my house will become her house!!! The leash shall be back on soon for my terrible mistake :noway:

My = Our

You will learn to use this word.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,271

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:27 am

jwise44 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
jwise44 wrote:I miss Ernie...can we unblock him?

And if she has a good paying job, you can stay home and play house husband and father. I can picture you watching soap operas all day when the kids are at school and getting in a few re-runs of the Love Boat, :wink: :lol:
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by Celtsfan1980 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:56 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Tell you what Chief...

Peace. Out.

Two brothers that have watched football, and a father that watches football. Not one of us has said Brady is the GOAT, and one used to like the Patriots. The majority who claim Brady as the GOAT is in your head only without any evidence. If you're interested you can send me a PM about why I don't think humans are very smart. What the majority think doesn't mean anything to me because I have eyes. It would be as much about Montana(who I do respect a lot more) as Brady.

Looking up the games recently nothing close to great about Bradshaw's number in the third AFC Championship game against Houston. I'd argue the defense carried him that game as much as Bradshaw carried them in the Super Bowl. I already made the argument about the fourth Super Bowl. I expect you to ignore this just like you ignored my other comments about arguably the most overrated pro athlete in the history of pro sports Terry Bradshaw.
afox
Veteran
And1: 1,398

Post#17 » by afox » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Tell you what Chief...

Peace. Out.

Two brothers that have watched football, and a father that watches football. Not one of us has said Brady is the GOAT, and one used to like the Patriots. The majority who claim Brady as the GOAT is in your head only without any evidence. If you're interested you can send me a PM about why I don't think humans are very smart. What the majority think doesn't mean anything to me because I have eyes. It would be as much about Montana(who I do respect a lot more) as Brady.

Looking up the games recently nothing close to great about Bradshaw's number in the third AFC Championship game against Houston. I'd argue the defense carried him that game as much as Bradshaw carried them in the Super Bowl. I already made the argument about the fourth Super Bowl. I expect you to ignore this just like you ignored my other comments about arguably the most overrated pro athlete in the history of pro sports Terry Bradshaw.

Bradshaw did win a NFL MVP award...and back to back SB MVP's....And Brady is now in MJ territory...It's a consensus...You and your bloodline might not be in that majority, but it is a majority....SB 51 was the mic drop for Brady...that's over...

Return to The General NFL Board