CB Marcus Peters Traded to Rams

Moderator: bwgood77

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

CB Marcus Peters Traded to Rams 

Post#1 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Adam Schefter is reporting that KC is sending CB Marcus Peters to the Rams.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: CB Marcus Peters to Rams? 

Post#2 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Adam Schefter is reporting that KC is sending CB Marcus Peters to the Rams. No details yet.

Blockbuster

Read on Twitter

Early, unsubstantiated rumors are a conditional day 2 pick (likely a 3rd that can jump to a 2nd?) in 2019
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:29 pm

FNQ wrote:
Early, unsubstantiated rumors are a conditional day 2 pick (likely a 3rd that can jump to a 2nd?) in 2019

To be clear, that's the headline pick. Rapoport reporting that its a package of picks, so will likely involve some day 3 picks as well
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:30 pm

Per Rap:

Read on Twitter

Free agency just got a premier CB. Raiders have to be interested.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Rapoport is saying the Rams are giving up: 2018 1st & 2019 5th for Peters!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:44 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Rapoport is saying the Rams are giving up: 2018 1st & 2019 5th for Peters!

WOW

The Chiefs were shopping the guy for behavioral issues and the Rams gave up a 1st for him?? Thats kinda crazy

I'm glad hes out of the division but the Chiefs getting a 1st out of it sucks
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,188

Re: CB Marcus Peters Traded to Rams 

Post#7 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Seems like the Aquib Talib situation all over again. Definitely an overpay by the Rams, but if McVay and Wade can get his head straight he'll be a beast.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#8 » by Mich3006 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 am

Crazy, thought he would stay in KC.

Wondering why the 49ers didn’t push to deal for him. he‘s top 3, even with his off-field issues and behavior.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#9 » by Bulltalk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:51 am

Washington Huskies coach Chris Petersen kicked him off the football team before he went pro. The guy's obviously a headcase, but a talented one. Yeah, KC getting a first round pick for a player they wanted to get rid of is nice.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,610

Re: RE: Re: CB Marcus Peters to Rams? 

Post#10 » by bmurph128 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:35 am

FNQ wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Rapoport is saying the Rams are giving up: 2018 1st & 2019 5th for Peters!

WOW

The Chiefs were shopping the guy for behavioral issues and the Rams gave up a 1st for him?? Thats kinda crazy

Im reading that we did not give up our first rounder. But if we did, Im fine with it.

Trumaine is a good CB, but not worth the $13 million per year he will want. Peters is cheap and a better player. Also a better fit for Wades system.

The cost of signing TruJo versus the cost of Peters, aside from Peters being better, will allow the Rams much more flexibility. Can now afford to re-sign Joyner, Robey-Coleman, Watkins and extend Donald. If we manage to bring everyone back because of this trade, I wont care if it cost a 1st round pick.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:50 am

bmurph128 wrote:I'm reading that we did not give up our first rounder. But if we did, Im fine with it.

It's weird. Rapoport sent out a tweet earlier saying it was for a 1st & another pick. But, there hasn't been anymore confirmation by anyone. :dontknow:

I think this could really blow up in their face eventually. Peters got kicked off the UW Football team because he clashed with coaches & violated team rules. There are also reports that he had the same issues in KC. The guy is known for being a hothead. Talented. But, this is a very risky move imo.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by bmurph128 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:I'm reading that we did not give up our first rounder. But if we did, Im fine with it.

It's weird. Rapoport sent out a tweet earlier saying it was for a 1st & another pick. But, there hasn't been anymore confirmation by anyone. :dontknow:

I think this could really blow up in their face eventually. Peters got kicked off the UW Football team because he clashed with coaches & violated team rules. There are also reports that he had the same issues in KC. The guy is known for being a hothead. Talented. But, this is a very risky move imo.

Hearing more and more that it's really unlikely that we gave up anything significant.

Apparently the Chiefs were trying to trade him for weeks with no luck. Seems likely that it'll be something like a 3rd and 6th round pick this year and a 2nd and late round pick next year.

No way it could really blow up in our faces though when thinking about the Trumaine Johnson situation. Doubt we were ever going to re-sign him since he'll command top dollar - getting Peters for cheap for what will basically be two years is a stroke of brilliance. Better player than Johnson for much cheaper. Flip side is his attitude but, I view it as a win/win situation. We didn't really have an alternative at CB anyways.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by bmurph128 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:09 pm

FNQ wrote:

WOW

Chiefs get a 4th this year (and gave the Rams a 6th) and a 2nd next year.

The great thing for the Rams is that we'll likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Johnson leaving - so we essentially traded Trumaine Johnson at around $13 million per year, a 4th rounder this year and a 2nd next year, for Marcus Peters at about $1.5 mil/$9 mil/$14 mil for three years (if he's franchised), a 6th rounder this year and a 3rd rounder next year.

Once you factor in that Peters is the better player, that's a no brainer for the Rams. Crazy.

But I kind of like this move for the Chiefs too. Apparently nobody else really wanted him.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#14 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:40 pm

I think this is a great deal for the Chiefs !!!!
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:13 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I think this is a great deal for the Chiefs !!!!

Agreed. Peters is overrated by many. Picks aside, he also is known for giving up big plays. Guy has worn out his welcome at every stop. LA will be no different. Big reason why only two teams showed any interest.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by bmurph128 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Agreed. Peters is overrated by many. Picks aside, he also is known for giving up big plays. Guy has worn out his welcome at every stop. LA will be no different. Big reason why only two teams showed any interest.

Advanced metrics would disagree with you.

And all of them have him as a better player than Trumaine Johnson, which makes this a great move and a no brainer for the Rams.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#17 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:35 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

And all of them have him as a better player than Trumaine Johnson, which makes this a great move and a no brainer for the Rams.

That's great. But, you gotta ask yourself, why would he be available? And why weren't more teams interested in him? :wink:

Chris Peterson (UW) didn't want him around (kicked him off the team). Even though he ended up being a 1st round talent.

The Chiefs just kicked him to the curb as well.

Kansas City gets a 2nd & a 4th. Not too bad for a player they no longer wanted. You do the math. :P
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by bmurph128 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:00 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Agreed. Peters is overrated by many. Picks aside, he also is known for giving up big plays. Guy has worn out his welcome at every stop. LA will be no different. Big reason why only two teams showed any interest.

That's great. But, you gotta ask yourself, why would he be available? And why weren't more teams interested in him? :wink:

Chris Peterson (UW) didn't want him around (kicked him off the team). Even though he ended up being a 1st round talent.

The Chiefs just kicked him to the curb as well.

Kansas City gets a 2nd & a 4th. Not too bad for a player they no longer wanted. You do the math. :P

Sure, the deal makes sense for the Chiefs. But it makes just as much sense for the Rams.

Whoever pays TruJo is simply not worth what he will get and what he would ask for - the Rams get to put off paying that amount for any CB for at least two years. Because he will most likely walk, the Rams would probably net a 3rd round comp pick.

So from the Rams perspective, we get Peters for Trumaine while swapping 4th and 2nd round picks for 6th and 3rd round picks - most teams would make those draft pick swaps for $12 million in cap savings alone - factor in that Peters is the better player and this is a home run for the Rams.

As for why there weren't many other interested parties - how much money do you think Peters will command when he's a free agent? He's going into his 4th year. The Rams have the luxury to apply his 5th year option, which is still a bargain price for him - and then let him walk. I seriously doubt we will re-sign him when Aaron Donald is about to be making $20+ million per year. So from other teams' perspectives: who would trade for a player with attitude issues, having to get up decent draft picks, and then face either losing or re-signing said player for an outrageous amount?

That's probably why nobody else was interested.

It's a risk - but less of a risk than paying Trumaine $12-14 million per year. He's been an above average player and underrated by some that don't know him - but he's not a top 5 CB and that's the type of money he will get.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#19 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Not only that, he is a bad locker room guy and the Chief's were like 31 vs. the pass last season. Been a very long time since I've seen them that low in that dept.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#20 » by Revived » Fri Mar 9, 2018 1:11 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Not only that, he is a bad locker room guy and the Chief's were like 31 vs. the pass last season. Been a very long time since I've seen them that low in that dept.

He’s still the best CB they had.

Return to The General NFL Board