Lamar Jackson - being asked to change position?

Moderator: bwgood77

lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,840

Lamar Jackson - being asked to change position? 

Post#1 » by lobosloboslobos » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:15 am

I don't understand why Lamar Jackson isn't even projected to go in the first round in some mock drafts, and is also being asked to workout as a receiver. The dude has been an incredible college QB. Thoughts?

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/2/17073636/combine-five-thoughts-lamar-jackson-quarterback
At best, that request feels like an insult to a guy who threw for 9,043 yards and 69 touchdowns, averaged 8.3 yards per attempt, and registered a 142.9 passer rating during his illustrious career in Louisville’s pro-style passing game. At worst, it seems to hint at racial bias. It also suggests there’s a handful of teams that are still unwilling to build an offense around Jackson’s skill set: A dynamic runner and passer, his game is perfect for a scheme featuring designed runs, the heavy use of play-action, run-pass options, and quarterback movement. The former Cardinals playmaker ran for more than 4,100 yards and scored another 50 rushing touchdowns during his college career.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Re: Lamar Jackson - being asked to change position? 

Post#2 » by jwise44 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 am

I understand some athletic qbs that don’t have talent as an actual qb that still seem amazing and suck in the nfl

But Lamar Jackson hasn’t seemed to lack much of anything like the other super athletic qbs usually do that make them fail in the pros?

Am I wrong? (I feel bad for Lamar cause I feel that most of the time in life I’m wrong)
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,320

Post#3 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 pm

jwise44 wrote:I understand some athletic qbs that don’t have talent as an actual qb that still seem amazing and suck in the nfl

But Lamar Jackson hasn’t seemed to lack much of anything like the other super athletic qbs usually do that make them fail in the pros?

Am I wrong? (I feel bad for Lamar cause I feel that most of the time in life I’m wrong)

Well, how many times have you changed your positions in the last year or so? :wink: :lol:
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#4 » by FNQ » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Has anyone officially asked him to do it? I heard that a scout asked him once about it, and its blown up. Havent seen any team that thinks hes anything but a QB to date
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#5 » by lobosloboslobos » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:28 pm

I just don't get why he isn't seen as a great pick and is getting zero hype in terms of all the talk about teams with quarterback needs. His team didn't do well it's true but he's one guy out of 60 or whatever and his personal performances were off the charts in rather key stats such as throwing for touchdowns and running for touchdowns. He has such game-breaking ability and star-power that it just seems strange to me that teams wouldn't be all over him and instead he seems more like an afterthought. I also thought his arm was extraordinary, especially on longer throws where he zips it in with extreme power and accuracy. No doubt he needs improvements in some areas but there aren't many rookie QBs who don't, if any.

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#6 » by Revived » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 pm

The success that Terrelle Pryor has had must be leading this charge.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#7 » by El Turco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:I don't understand why Lamar Jackson isn't even projected to go in the first round in some mock drafts, and is also being asked to workout as a receiver. The dude has been an incredible college QB. Thoughts?

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/2/17073636/combine-five-thoughts-lamar-jackson-quarterback
At best, that request feels like an insult to a guy who threw for 9,043 yards and 69 touchdowns, averaged 8.3 yards per attempt, and registered a 142.9 passer rating during his illustrious career in Louisville’s pro-style passing game. At worst, it seems to hint at racial bias. It also suggests there’s a handful of teams that are still unwilling to build an offense around Jackson’s skill set: A dynamic runner and passer, his game is perfect for a scheme featuring designed runs, the heavy use of play-action, run-pass options, and quarterback movement. The former Cardinals playmaker ran for more than 4,100 yards and scored another 50 rushing touchdowns during his college career.

His college stats have no bearing to his draft stock, nfl is littered with failed nfl qbs with legendary college numbers.

He has really thin frame and somewhat poor mechanics. He might be able to fix the latter and become a good qb instead of just a good athlete but consensus is it is going to take some time, which is mostly only afforded by good teams picking late 1st.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by FNQ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Revived wrote:The success that Terrelle Pryor has had must be leading this charge.

Eh this is nothing new. People are mixing race in it to drive the story. But as Tim Tebow and Eric Crouch already know, winning a Heisman at QB doesnt mean people want you to play that in the NFL.

Lamar Jackson will be drafted as a QB, will play QB, and will be a gimmick WR when needed just like a lot of other NFL QBs. Anyone trying to convert him to WR, a position he played sparingly in HIGH SCHOOL, would be stupid.
El Turco

Post#9 » by El Turco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Has less to do with his high school experience but more to do with utilizing his athleticism if he fails as a qb. There's also precedent with qbs converting to wrs with edelman, pryor, randle el, brad smith etc.

He'll get a chance to prove himself as a qb though.

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by FNQ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:00 pm

El Turco wrote:Has less to do with his high school experience but more to do with utilizing his athleticism if he fails as a qb. There's also precedent with qbs converting to wrs with edelman, pryor, randle el, brad smith etc.

He'll get a chance to prove himself as a qb though.

Of those guys, only 1 was considered a draftable talent as a QB (Pryor). The others were either too small (Edelman, Randel El) or flat-out not skilled enough (Brad Smith)..

I think its funny, because a lesser talent (IMO, Bridgewater) was never asked to be a WR or even tryout there, because he simply wouldnt have the athleticism for it. A lesser version of Jackson, DeShone Kizer, was never asked for it either.
El Turco

Post#11 » by El Turco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 pm

Neither kizer nor bridgewater had anywhere near the speed and elusiveness that lamar has shown, which are rather important tools to play receiver.

Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#12 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 am

I don’t see long career unless a lot of his mechanics change late 4th at best . At WR he becomes a 3rd
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by FNQ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:59 pm

El Turco wrote:Neither kizer nor bridgewater had anywhere near the speed and elusiveness that lamar has shown, which are rather important tools to play receiver.

I know, but that's the point - they were less diverse so they were just drafted straightaway as QBs, early. Jackson looks to be a better prospect than both at QB, but is asked to potentially play somewhere he has minimal experience because he's faster than those 2?
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#14 » by OGLife » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:11 pm

El Turco wrote:Neither kizer nor bridgewater had anywhere near the speed and elusiveness that lamar has shown, which are rather important tools to play receiver.

I compare Lamar’s game to Colin Kaepernick
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#15 » by lobosloboslobos » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:51 am

new article on the topic

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766425

Former NFL quarterback and current Bleacher Report NFL analyst Chris Simms has Jackson rated as the top signal-caller in the draft, followed by Allen. On The Simms & Lefkoe Podcast, Simms said the conversation behind moving Jackson to wide receiver "is truly the dumbest f--king thing I've ever heard.

Return to The General NFL Board