Alliance of American Football to begin in the spring of 2019 on CBS

Moderator: bwgood77

JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,034

Alliance of American Football to begin in the spring of 2019 on CBS 

Post#1 » by JazzUte88 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 am

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/spring-league-alliance-of-american-football-to-launch-in-2019-on-cbs/

The XFL, the controversial football league founded by Vince McMahon in 1999 that lasted one season, is set to return in 2020. But it won't be the only new professional football league -- or even the first to begin play.

Charlie Ebersol -- the son of NBC executive Dick Ebersol, McMahon's partner during the XFL's first stint -- announced in a press release that the Alliance of American Football will debut on Feb. 9, 2019 on CBS.

The younger Ebersol, who directed ESPN's "30 for 30" documentary on the XFL, brought in former NFL general manager Bill Polian to help oversee the league. Former Steelers safety Troy Polamalu will oversee the player side and former USC standout and executive J.K. McKay will oversee the team side. Advisors include former players Hines Ward and Justin Tuck, and Dick Ebersol.

"The Alliance of American Football represents a fundamental shift in the way we approach professional sports," Charlie Ebersol said. "We believe fans and players are what's most important, so our approach is simple -- we've created an Alliance where fans and players share in the success of their teams."

"Players have our commitment that we will seek the highest degree of safety and our support as we continue to invest in their success off the field with post-football career scholarships and financial wellness programs," he continued. "With the expertise of Bill Polian and a leadership team of respected former All-Pro players and executives, we are committed to putting the best football product possible on the field every weekend, ensuring that 2018 will be the final year fans have to experience a six-month period without football."

The plan, like the XFL, is to stock the league with players who don't make it onto NFL rosters.

"There is a significant amount of football talent looking to begin or extend their professional careers," Polian said. "The Alliance will provide those players with a new opportunity to compete at a high level. Our players and fans are the lifeblood of The Alliance, and we will treat them as such."

"We will give players an opportunity to flourish on the field while establishing plans to support their personal and professional growth, health, safety and financial well-being. This is our commitment to them and will result in an exciting pro football product on the field that fans across the nation and in our markets can rally around."

CBS will air the league's debut game on Feb. 9, 2019, one week after Super Bowl LIII on CBS. The network will also carry the Alliance of American Football's championship game on the final weekend of April 2019. One regular-season Alliance game will air exclusively on CBS Sports Network each week as well.

"As the Alliance of American Football launches next February we are excited to become the official television partner, adding more football to our robust programming line-up with a great package that includes two primetime games on CBS, as well as a full slate of regular-season spring football on CBS Sports Network," said CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus. "With Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian at the helm we are confident that the product they will deliver will be entertaining, exciting, engaging and something that fans will really enjoy."

The league will have eight teams in cities to be announced in the next three months. Rosters will have 50 players each and will be built primarily through a regionally-based draft. To differentiate the Alliance of American Football from its competitors, there will be no TV timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials. Other differences will include no kickoffs and instead of onside kicks, the trailing team will receive the ball on their own 35-yard line facing fourth down and 10. There will also be a 30-second play clock and mandatory two-point conversion attempts after touchdowns.

Will watch. Interested to see if they'll have a team in Utah, would attend a game.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,034

Re: Alliance of American Football to begin in the spring of 2019 on CBS 

Post#2 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:47 am

The Alliance of American Football, a new professional spring league set to debut next February, revealed on "CBS This Morning: Saturday" that the first host city will be Orlando, with college football Hall of Famer Steve Spurrier set to coach.

The Alliance's co-founder Charlie Ebersol, former NFL wide receiver Hines Ward, who is serving as an executive of player relations, and Spurrier himself joined "CBS This Morning: Saturday" to discuss the new league, which will kick off just one week after next year's Super Bowl.

The games will be available to stream on a free app, on CBS and CBS Sports Network. Teams in eight different cities will play a 10-game season.

CBS will air the league's debut game on Feb. 9, 2019, one week after Super Bowl LIII on CBS. The network will also carry the Alliance of American Football's championship game on the final weekend of April 2019. One regular-season Alliance game will air exclusively on CBS Sports Network each week as well.

"We brought in the best players and the best coaches to be at the top of the organization. We wanted to give fans not just an opportunity to see great football but to see what would happen if you brought the players and the league together," Ebersol said.

The younger Ebersol, who directed ESPN's "30 for 30" documentary on the XFL, brought in former NFL general manager Bill Polian to help oversee the league. Former Steelers safety Troy Polamalu will oversee the player side and former USC standout and executive J.K. McKay will oversee the team side. Advisors include Ward and Justin Tuck, and Dick Ebersol.

The league will have eight teams in eight cities. Rosters will have 50 players each and will be built primarily through a regionally-based draft that will be held this fall. To differentiate the Alliance of American Football from its competitors, there will be no TV timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials. Other differences will include no kickoffs and instead of onside kicks, the trailing team will receive the ball on their own 35-yard line facing fourth down and 10. There will also be a 30-second play clock and mandatory two-point conversion attempts after touchdowns.

Spurrier, who left both Florida and South Carolina as those programs' winningest head coach, said he was intrigued by the new rules of the game, which include two-and-half hour games and 30 seconds in between plays, and the opportunity to include great players who don't make it into the NFL.

"It's a fine line between who makes a team and who doesn't in the NFL. We don't have a minor league of professional football," Spurrier said. "Those players get a chance to continue playing even if they don't play at the highest level and then maybe someday they play well enough to go to the highest level."

For Ward, it's all about the well-being of the players. "Player safety, that's top priority. I mean, that's something we want to bring to our league.

Spurrier's team will play its home games at the University of Central Florida's Spectrum Stadium, which sits roughly 13 miles outside of Orlando. Tickets to see Spurrier's team in action will go on sale later this month. Starting on April 17, fans will be able to put down season-ticket deposits on the league's website, AAF.com.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steve-spurrier-announced-as-first-coach-and-orlando-first-host-city-for-alliance-of-american-football/
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 4, 2018 7:51 pm

Which one of you fools is going to watch this?
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 4, 2018 7:57 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Which one of you fools is going to watch this?

:wave:

I'll check it out. The XFL 2.0 league will be one that I will avoid however. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 4, 2018 8:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

I'll check it out. The XFL 2.0 league will be one that I will avoid however. :wink:

Once you have hockey you will find leagues like this one silly
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 4, 2018 9:00 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Football is still football, man. It's a long offseason. I'll take whatever I can get. :wink:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat May 5, 2018 12:00 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote: :wave:

Football is still football, man. It's a long offseason. I'll take whatever I can get. :wink:

I remember feeling that when the USFL came into being... and how long it took (it wasn’t very long at all) before I came to the conclusion that with the exception of a few players, it just wasn’t the same as NFL or even college. That and having a boat and spending quality time on the local lake in said boat with lots of beer.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Sat May 5, 2018 12:59 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I remember feeling that when the USFL came into being... and how long it took (it wasn’t very long at all) before I came to the conclusion that with the exception of a few players, it just wasn’t the same as NFL or even college. That and having a boat and spending quality time on the local lake in said boat with lots of beer.

It's a little different here in the Winter time, my man. There's plenty of outdoor activities like boating, fishing, etc. Just not reserved for your typical day in February. :wink:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat May 5, 2018 1:55 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

It's a little different here in the Winter time, my man. There's plenty of outdoor activities like boating, fishing, etc. Just not reserved for your typical day in February. :wink:

I forgot you live next to the tundra.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Sat May 5, 2018 3:15 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I forgot you live next to the tundra.

Well...I guess. If you consider Canada as "the tundra". :lol:

45 & overcast (70% chance of rain) isn't exactly boat weather.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#11 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat May 5, 2018 3:17 am

I highly doubt I'll even check it out.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Sat May 5, 2018 4:17 am

To differentiate the Alliance of American Football from its competitors, there will be no TV timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials. Other differences will include no kickoffs and instead of onside kicks, the trailing team will receive the ball on their own 35-yard line facing fourth down and 10. There will also be a 30-second play clock and mandatory two-point conversion attempts after touchdowns.

I'm in! :thumbsup:
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#13 » by RavenMad31 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 6:32 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

To differentiate the Alliance of American Football from its competitors, there will be no TV timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials. Other differences will include no kickoffs and instead of onside kicks, the trailing team will receive the ball on their own 35-yard line facing fourth down and 10. There will also be a 30-second play clock and mandatory two-point conversion attempts after touchdowns.

I'm in! :thumbsup:

I'm dreading the day they do away with kickoffs and it may be the final straw for my 40+ year love affair with football, but that 4th and 10 idea is pretty good.

Return to The General NFL Board