Possible New Anthem Rules

Moderator: bwgood77

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Re: Possible New Anthem Rules 

Post#41 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun May 27, 2018 11:59 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Some of us vets got going on this subject in the Twitterverse after one of those obligatory “the players are disrespecting the Military” posts that drives most of us nuts. Reminisced about how you would see GI’s scurrying around at 7:58 AM trying to get inside a building so we wouldn’t get stuck standing at attention for 30 seconds at 8:00 when the anthem was played base wide and the flag was raised. Same thing at 4:58 to avoid Taps at 5:00. Got talking about how uniformed enlisted personnel and uniformed Officers at the BX and Commissary would both literally separate ourselves by two rows in the parking lots just to avoid having to salute each other... got some pretty good laughs yesterday on Twitter.

Bottom line for us was we served to protect the players rights to protest and for the indignant alt right bozos to protest. And we don’t care one way or another.

Thank you for your service, good sir! :usa: :thumbsup:

I’d like to take a moment to thank the waitresses and bartenders at all the NCO Clubs I stumbled out of back in the day for their service as well. They are severely under appreciated.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#42 » by Bulltalk » Sun May 27, 2018 11:27 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Some of us vets got going on this subject in the Twitterverse after one of those obligatory “the players are disrespecting the Military” posts that drives most of us nuts. Reminisced about how you would see GI’s scurrying around at 7:58 AM trying to get inside a building so we wouldn’t get stuck standing at attention for 30 seconds at 8:00 when the anthem was played base wide and the flag was raised. Same thing at 4:58 to avoid Taps at 5:00. Got talking about how uniformed enlisted personnel and uniformed Officers at the BX and Commissary would both literally separate ourselves by two rows in the parking lots just to avoid having to salute each other... got some pretty good laughs yesterday on Twitter.

Bottom line for us was we served to protect the players rights to protest and for the indignant alt right bozos to protest. And we don’t care one way or another.

Maybe it's the social media and news cycle thing, but it sure seems that people allow themselves to get worked up into a tizzy about things they normally wouldn't care much about if they weren't baited into it in some way. Having said that, don't get me started on Trump and the GOP now. :lol:

Nice stories and insight and of course always the thanks for service.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Heat84
Junior
And1: 11

Post#43 » by Heat84 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:13 am

I don't believe they're protesting to disrespect the military but they're still wrong. While cops do resort to lethal tactics too quickly to subdue someone(because they have no business being cops if they're gonna pull their gun at the slightest sign of danger, even from someone unarmed), in most of those incidents that caused the protests, the person killed would still be alive if they had just complied with the officers instructions. Those incidents account for less than 1% of all cop/citizen interactions in the country. So the epidemic they're protesting about does not exist. Most black people are killed by other black people (statistically speaking). The protesters are raising hell about the 1% and ignoring the 99% especially Chicago.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#44 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 pm

The only problem I've ever had with the anthem, was an Olympic Gold medal athlete, Carl Lewis singing it.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:26 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:The only problem I've ever had with the anthem, was an Olympic Gold medal athlete, Carl Lewis singing it.

People overrate Roseanne singing it. Carl Lewis is the Gold standard.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#46 » by RaoulDuke79 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:The only problem I've ever had with the anthem, was an Olympic Gold medal athlete, Carl Lewis singing it.

On the flip side, this was the greatest:

We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:55 am

RaoulDuke79 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

On the flip side, this was the greatest:

Damn sure was!
Pro-Am40
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#48 » by Pro-Am40 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Hopefully this season the focus will be back on "football"!
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#49 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Heat84 wrote:I don't believe they're protesting to disrespect the military but they're still wrong. While cops do resort to lethal tactics too quickly to subdue someone(because they have no business being cops if they're gonna pull their gun at the slightest sign of danger, even from someone unarmed), in most of those incidents that caused the protests, the person killed would still be alive if they had just complied with the officers instructions. Those incidents account for less than 1% of all cop/citizen interactions in the country. So the epidemic they're protesting about does not exist. Most black people are killed by other black people (statistically speaking). The protesters are raising hell about the 1% and ignoring the 99% especially Chicago.

Damm dude, you are ignorant.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#50 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Yeah Rossanne belted in out in a disrespectful tune, grabbed her crotch and spit on the ground. Where was the outrage then?

This whole thing is overblown. I served 4 years and I really didn't find much offensive about it. I don't think they aimed at me, but it's their RIGHT to do it. The NFL makes HUGE money on the BACKS of these players, runs them into the ground (CTE) and then toss them aside as if they were garbage. Where's the outrage for that?
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#51 » by righterwriter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 am

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Yeah Rossanne belted in out in a disrespectful tune, grabbed her crotch and spit on the ground. Where was the outrage then?

There was plenty of outrage. It was a big news story, which is why we are talking about it still today. Then again, that was Roseanne trying to be funny by "acting like a baseball player" so its clearly not the same thing.

This whole thing is overblown. I served 4 years and I really didn't find much offensive about it. I don't think they aimed at me, but it's their RIGHT to do it. The NFL makes HUGE money on the BACKS of these players, runs them into the ground (CTE) and then toss them aside as if they were garbage. Where's the outrage for that?

Nobody is saying they don't have a "right" to do it, there are just many consequences for doing it-- both for themselves, their team, and the league in general, because a lot of fans really don't like it.

If you are outraged by the way NFL players are treated physically, feel free to express yourself and make it a larger and more public issue. I'm sure they know the risks of playing football as a profession, yet still decide to stick around and play for some reason ($).
Heat84
Junior
And1: 11

Post#52 » by Heat84 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:38 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Heat84 wrote:I don't believe they're protesting to disrespect the military but they're still wrong. While cops do resort to lethal tactics too quickly to subdue someone(because they have no business being cops if they're gonna pull their gun at the slightest sign of danger, even from someone unarmed), in most of those incidents that caused the protests, the person killed would still be alive if they had just complied with the officers instructions. Those incidents account for less than 1% of all cop/citizen interactions in the country. So the epidemic they're protesting about does not exist. Most black people are killed by other black people (statistically speaking). The protesters are raising hell about the 1% and ignoring the 99% especially Chicago.

Damm dude, you are ignorant.

Damn dude, you're a liberal.
lokey550
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#53 » by lokey550 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 4:24 pm

monopoman wrote:Why don't they play the national anthem before every show starts and ends. How about having it played at least once during all commercial breaks. I never understood why Pro Sports was the one time the national anthem is played before each game. Sure, I get it's inclusion in the Olympics for the gold medal team or individual but before every pro sports game when almost every game is an American based team vs. an American based team.

It was first started to promote the military and gain buy in for what was to come and increase recruitment efforts. The government pays/paid the pro sports teams to play it, televise it, and have the players participate. I have more to add but I digress.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#54 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:17 pm

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#55 » by wco81 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:32 pm

If Ezekiel Elliot or Tyron Smith don't "toe the line" will the Cowboys suspend or cut them?
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#56 » by TheGOATWill » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:
No. Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I think the national anthem should be played before...

--Movies in theaters
--Concerts of all kinds
--Awards shows like the Oscars
--Authorized political rallies
--Campaign appearances
--Religious services
--etc...

It's about time that all public gatherings start taking the example set by sports.

MAGA.

It is... in military theaters.

Which was always a good time for us serious minded airmen to stand at attention and go "Psssshhhhh!!!!" every time the cymbals go off during the anthem. And as the theater was dark, it wasn't like some officer with a burr up his arse was going to issue a Letter of Reprimand or something.

Good times.

i didn't know that, and I came from a military family, though I didn't enlist myself.

Military folks possess the uncanny ability to avoid being outside in the minutes leading up to 8 am. I was pretty good myself. Especially on Friday. For one reason only. To not be stuck outside standing for the anthem. I personally am not offended if a person kneels or knits a sweater during the anthem. It's ok to kneel while praying so seems like it would be ok to kneel during the anthem.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:48 pm

wco81 wrote:If Ezekiel Elliot or Tyron Smith don't "toe the line" will the Cowboys suspend or cut them?

Of course not.

Chaz Green on the other hand...
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#58 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:57 pm

NFL has botched this from the start. There are two quick easy solutions to this. Stop playing the anthem before games (I actually like the anthem being played, but damn not when it has made this big of a deal), or just play the anthem when the players are in the locker room. I know the military pays the NFL so I doubt they will stop playing it, so just play it when both teams are in the locker room.

Im just honestly tired of hearing both sides talk about this thing.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#59 » by righterwriter » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:48 am

Duke4life831 wrote:NFL has botched this from the start. There are two quick easy solutions to this. Stop playing the anthem before games (I actually like the anthem being played, but damn not when it has made this big of a deal), or just play the anthem when the players are in the locker room. I know the military pays the NFL so I doubt they will stop playing it, so just play it when both teams are in the locker room.

Not playing the anthem would be a huuuuuuuuge thing to a lot of fans and would be very bad PR-wise for the NFL. Not to mention, the military may scale back or completely stop advertising with the NFL, which would cost them millions of dollars every year.

Let me see if I can try to explain the two sides, at least from my point of view, so we can determine who's right/wrong.

Some players want to bring attention to "injustice" in America by making a public protest every week during the national anthem. It's absolutely fine to have an opinion, and noble to want to improve what is perceived as a problem, but there is obviously a disconnect between them and many people who are having a hard time understanding exactly what their cause is and see the time they choose to protest as offensive.

The protesting players need to do a better job of explaining their position, and also to explain why protesting during the national anthem is essential, because as of yet they haven't done a good job in bridging the gap between them and those that disagree with their actions.

The owners are likely looking at this from two perspectives-- one as individuals who see the protest as disrespectful without proper reason, two as businessmen who see the negative reaction it's drawn from paying customers and people who support the team. I think both of these perspectives are totally reasonable, and I think they need to press the issue a bit more with the players and ask for specifics on why the players are protesting and make it an actual discussion about the issues and their goals.

If these protesting players want to discuss more investment in minority neighborhoods or sentencing laws for non-violent crimes, or funding for education of low-income people, then I don't think the owners would have any issue supporting these things, as long as the players do their part to lead the way. The owners have already agreed to give nearly $100M to social justice causes as chosen by the players as part of a goodwill gesture to bring the two sides together. The fact that for some players this isn't enough or doesn't mean anything is a gesture I'm sure the owners don't appreciate.

If the players don't have any plan and see this as an indefinite protest as long as their is any sort of perceived injustice in the world, then obviously the owners have no reason to engage with them nor support them, as it will just whittle away their fan base and it is likely something they don't agree with personally.

For me, the players protesting need to be clear. Being so vague up to this point has only led to disarray. If their only goal is to cause dissension, then I think like any employee that causes trouble at the workplace, they'll find themselves out of a job.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#60 » by bmurph128 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 8:16 pm

righterwriter wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:NFL has botched this from the start. There are two quick easy solutions to this. Stop playing the anthem before games (I actually like the anthem being played, but damn not when it has made this big of a deal), or just play the anthem when the players are in the locker room. I know the military pays the NFL so I doubt they will stop playing it, so just play it when both teams are in the locker room.

Not playing the anthem would be a huuuuuuuuge thing to a lot of fans and would be very bad PR-wise for the NFL. Not to mention, the military may scale back or completely stop advertising with the NFL, which would cost them millions of dollars every year.

Let me see if I can try to explain the two sides, at least from my point of view, so we can determine who's right/wrong.

Some players want to bring attention to "injustice" in America by making a public protest every week during the national anthem. It's absolutely fine to have an opinion, and noble to want to improve what is perceived as a problem, but there is obviously a disconnect between them and many people who are having a hard time understanding exactly what their cause is and see the time they choose to protest as offensive.

The protesting players need to do a better job of explaining their position, and also to explain why protesting during the national anthem is essential, because as of yet they haven't done a good job in bridging the gap between them and those that disagree with their actions.

The owners are likely looking at this from two perspectives-- one as individuals who see the protest as disrespectful without proper reason, two as businessmen who see the negative reaction it's drawn from paying customers and people who support the team. I think both of these perspectives are totally reasonable, and I think they need to press the issue a bit more with the players and ask for specifics on why the players are protesting and make it an actual discussion about the issues and their goals.

If these protesting players want to discuss more investment in minority neighborhoods or sentencing laws for non-violent crimes, or funding for education of low-income people, then I don't think the owners would have any issue supporting these things, as long as the players do their part to lead the way. The owners have already agreed to give nearly $100M to social justice causes as chosen by the players as part of a goodwill gesture to bring the two sides together. The fact that for some players this isn't enough or doesn't mean anything is a gesture I'm sure the owners don't appreciate.

If the players don't have any plan and see this as an indefinite protest as long as their is any sort of perceived injustice in the world, then obviously the owners have no reason to engage with them nor support them, as it will just whittle away their fan base and it is likely something they don't agree with personally.

For me, the players protesting need to be clear. Being so vague up to this point has only led to disarray. If their only goal is to cause dissension, then I think like any employee that causes trouble at the workplace, they'll find themselves out of a job.

As much as people try at times to talk about sports as they do any other type of job, it's just not the same. I don't like comparing the two.

What they are doing is clear if you want to see it that way. They're bringing to light THEIR personal experiences with injustice in our country. They aren't vague at all - but on the flip side, the issue is so vast that they couldn't possibly talk about it in full detail.

But set that aside for a minute - people should not care that they kneel for the anthem. It's not a disrespectful thing in any way. If YOUR experience in America is terrible, why would you celebrate the anthem?

That's what they're doing - they are using that as a platform to get people to discuss social injustice in America. And it's been effective.

The people that want this to go away should realize that the easiest thing to do here is stop caring whether someone stands or kneels for the anthem. Because while you might get offended because you love our country, they might not - and there's nothing wrong with that. What people that oppose kneeling are basically doing is challenging their (the people kneeling) experiences, which is illogical. Best way to make this go away (and man do I wish this would go away) is for people to just stop talking about it in the media.

Return to The General NFL Board