Possible New Anthem Rules

Moderator: bwgood77

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Re: Possible New Anthem Rules 

Post#61 » by wco81 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 8:34 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
wco81 wrote:If Ezekiel Elliot or Tyron Smith don't "toe the line" will the Cowboys suspend or cut them?

Of course not.

Chaz Green on the other hand...

Richard Sherman said Jerry was sounding like a plantation owner.

Cowboys stars should refuse to stand for the anthem just for that reason alone.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,655

Post#62 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 8:45 pm

wco81 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
wco81 wrote:If Ezekiel Elliot or Tyron Smith don't "toe the line" will the Cowboys suspend or cut them?

Of course not.

Chaz Green on the other hand...

Richard Sherman said Jerry was sounding like a plantation owner.

Cowboys stars should refuse to stand for the anthem just for that reason alone.

A boss telling his employees on a certain way to conduct themselves while theyre at work, has no more connection to a plantation owner than any other boss or manager in any business.

Nothing derails this discussion faster than comparing multi millionaires to slaves.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Post#63 » by wco81 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 8:58 pm

It was the language as well as the attitude, that they will do as he says when that involves suppressing their individual voices.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#64 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 8:59 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:NFL has botched this from the start. There are two quick easy solutions to this. Stop playing the anthem before games (I actually like the anthem being played, but damn not when it has made this big of a deal), or just play the anthem when the players are in the locker room. I know the military pays the NFL so I doubt they will stop playing it, so just play it when both teams are in the locker room.

Im just honestly tired of hearing both sides talk about this thing.

Not playing the anthem would be a huuuuuuuuge thing to a lot of fans and would be very bad PR-wise for the NFL. Not to mention, the military may scale back or completely stop advertising with the NFL, which would cost them millions of dollars every year.

Let me see if I can try to explain the two sides, at least from my point of view, so we can determine who's right/wrong.

Some players want to bring attention to "injustice" in America by making a public protest every week during the national anthem. It's absolutely fine to have an opinion, and noble to want to improve what is perceived as a problem, but there is obviously a disconnect between them and many people who are having a hard time understanding exactly what their cause is and see the time they choose to protest as offensive.

The protesting players need to do a better job of explaining their position, and also to explain why protesting during the national anthem is essential, because as of yet they haven't done a good job in bridging the gap between them and those that disagree with their actions.

The owners are likely looking at this from two perspectives-- one as individuals who see the protest as disrespectful without proper reason, two as businessmen who see the negative reaction it's drawn from paying customers and people who support the team. I think both of these perspectives are totally reasonable, and I think they need to press the issue a bit more with the players and ask for specifics on why the players are protesting and make it an actual discussion about the issues and their goals.

If these protesting players want to discuss more investment in minority neighborhoods or sentencing laws for non-violent crimes, or funding for education of low-income people, then I don't think the owners would have any issue supporting these things, as long as the players do their part to lead the way. The owners have already agreed to give nearly $100M to social justice causes as chosen by the players as part of a goodwill gesture to bring the two sides together. The fact that for some players this isn't enough or doesn't mean anything is a gesture I'm sure the owners don't appreciate.

If the players don't have any plan and see this as an indefinite protest as long as their is any sort of perceived injustice in the world, then obviously the owners have no reason to engage with them nor support them, as it will just whittle away their fan base and it is likely something they don't agree with personally.

For me, the players protesting need to be clear. Being so vague up to this point has only led to disarray. If their only goal is to cause dissension, then I think like any employee that causes trouble at the workplace, they'll find themselves out of a job.

As much as people try at times to talk about sports as they do any other type of job, it's just not the same. I don't like comparing the two.

What they are doing is clear if you want to see it that way. They're bringing to light THEIR personal experiences with injustice in our country. They aren't vague at all - but on the flip side, the issue is so vast that they couldn't possibly talk about it in full detail.

But set that aside for a minute - people should not care that they kneel for the anthem. It's not a disrespectful thing in any way. If YOUR experience in America is terrible, why would you celebrate the anthem?

That's what they're doing - they are using that as a platform to get people to discuss social injustice in America. And it's been effective.

The people that want this to go away should realize that the easiest thing to do here is stop caring whether someone stands or kneels for the anthem. Because while you might get offended because you love our country, they might not - and there's nothing wrong with that. What people that oppose kneeling are basically doing is challenging their (the people kneeling) experiences, which is illogical. Best way to make this go away (and man do I wish this would go away) is for people to just stop talking about it in the media.

I agree and disagree with a lot of this. I have never thought they were disrespecting America by kneeling (I know many many do). When I go to games I always stand, but I wont lie, if Im watching the game at home and they televise the anthem, I dont get up. I usually zone out or go get some food.

I also think the message the players have wanted to bring has been mixed. You hear many say they arent kneeling because of the flag or anthem, while Kaepernick himself originally stated he wasnt going to stand for a flag that represents what he is against. Then you got players kneeling cause of Trump came in and started talking about it. Then you throw in a lot of players who kneel during the anthem then dont do anything outside of kneeling to try and change anything. Now Im not talking all the players, I know there is a good amount like Malcolm Jenkins who does a lot outside of football looking for a change.

I also think the people complaining about the kneeling have made this a bigger thing than it originally was (Trump was a big part of this), and this all couldve not have been a big deal if they didnt make a big deal out of this.

I also dont blame what Fox and CBS ended up doing at the end of last year and decided not to air the anthem at all. They are a business and their business was taking a hit, so I dont blame them for trying to adjust.

I personally dont like politics and stuff like this mixed in with my entertainment, whether I agree or disagree with it. I know many people (all different races) that got fed up with the protests and all the media talking about them. I was with a group of buddies last year and we were watching a game, for the first 10-15 minutes of the game, all the announcers were talking about were the protests. What players were doing it, what was planned what wasnt, what are their plans for next week and so on. All of this while the game was going on. We ended up turning it off and went outside and played some hoops.

I honestly think Fox and CBS are just going to continue not to air the anthems and the spotlight on this will die down.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#65 » by bmurph128 » Mon Aug 6, 2018 3:15 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
Not playing the anthem would be a huuuuuuuuge thing to a lot of fans and would be very bad PR-wise for the NFL. Not to mention, the military may scale back or completely stop advertising with the NFL, which would cost them millions of dollars every year.

Let me see if I can try to explain the two sides, at least from my point of view, so we can determine who's right/wrong.

Some players want to bring attention to "injustice" in America by making a public protest every week during the national anthem. It's absolutely fine to have an opinion, and noble to want to improve what is perceived as a problem, but there is obviously a disconnect between them and many people who are having a hard time understanding exactly what their cause is and see the time they choose to protest as offensive.

The protesting players need to do a better job of explaining their position, and also to explain why protesting during the national anthem is essential, because as of yet they haven't done a good job in bridging the gap between them and those that disagree with their actions.

The owners are likely looking at this from two perspectives-- one as individuals who see the protest as disrespectful without proper reason, two as businessmen who see the negative reaction it's drawn from paying customers and people who support the team. I think both of these perspectives are totally reasonable, and I think they need to press the issue a bit more with the players and ask for specifics on why the players are protesting and make it an actual discussion about the issues and their goals.

If these protesting players want to discuss more investment in minority neighborhoods or sentencing laws for non-violent crimes, or funding for education of low-income people, then I don't think the owners would have any issue supporting these things, as long as the players do their part to lead the way. The owners have already agreed to give nearly $100M to social justice causes as chosen by the players as part of a goodwill gesture to bring the two sides together. The fact that for some players this isn't enough or doesn't mean anything is a gesture I'm sure the owners don't appreciate.

If the players don't have any plan and see this as an indefinite protest as long as their is any sort of perceived injustice in the world, then obviously the owners have no reason to engage with them nor support them, as it will just whittle away their fan base and it is likely something they don't agree with personally.

For me, the players protesting need to be clear. Being so vague up to this point has only led to disarray. If their only goal is to cause dissension, then I think like any employee that causes trouble at the workplace, they'll find themselves out of a job.

As much as people try at times to talk about sports as they do any other type of job, it's just not the same. I don't like comparing the two.

What they are doing is clear if you want to see it that way. They're bringing to light THEIR personal experiences with injustice in our country. They aren't vague at all - but on the flip side, the issue is so vast that they couldn't possibly talk about it in full detail.

But set that aside for a minute - people should not care that they kneel for the anthem. It's not a disrespectful thing in any way. If YOUR experience in America is terrible, why would you celebrate the anthem?

That's what they're doing - they are using that as a platform to get people to discuss social injustice in America. And it's been effective.

The people that want this to go away should realize that the easiest thing to do here is stop caring whether someone stands or kneels for the anthem. Because while you might get offended because you love our country, they might not - and there's nothing wrong with that. What people that oppose kneeling are basically doing is challenging their (the people kneeling) experiences, which is illogical. Best way to make this go away (and man do I wish this would go away) is for people to just stop talking about it in the media.

I agree and disagree with a lot of this. I have never thought they were disrespecting America by kneeling (I know many many do). When I go to games I always stand, but I wont lie, if Im watching the game at home and they televise the anthem, I dont get up. I usually zone out or go get some food.

I also think the message the players have wanted to bring has been mixed. You hear many say they arent kneeling because of the flag or anthem, while Kaepernick himself originally stated he wasnt going to stand for a flag that represents what he is against. Then you got players kneeling cause of Trump came in and started talking about it. Then you throw in a lot of players who kneel during the anthem then dont do anything outside of kneeling to try and change anything. Now Im not talking all the players, I know there is a good amount like Malcolm Jenkins who does a lot outside of football looking for a change.

I also think the people complaining about the kneeling have made this a bigger thing than it originally was (Trump was a big part of this), and this all couldve not have been a big deal if they didnt make a big deal out of this.

I also dont blame what Fox and CBS ended up doing at the end of last year and decided not to air the anthem at all. They are a business and their business was taking a hit, so I dont blame them for trying to adjust.

I personally dont like politics and stuff like this mixed in with my entertainment, whether I agree or disagree with it. I know many people (all different races) that got fed up with the protests and all the media talking about them. I was with a group of buddies last year and we were watching a game, for the first 10-15 minutes of the game, all the announcers were talking about were the protests. What players were doing it, what was planned what wasnt, what are their plans for next week and so on. All of this while the game was going on. We ended up turning it off and went outside and played some hoops.

I honestly think Fox and CBS are just going to continue not to air the anthems and the spotlight on this will die down.

Obviously there are all different types of people in all professions, but I have never heard any military person say that kneeling was in anyway disrespectful. I couldn't care less about people kneeling or standing for the anthem, and I am the same way you - I always stand when I attend the game, never when I'm watching it on TV.

The irony is that with the freedom that our country is so famous for makes me feel like it would disrespectful for players that wanted to kneel, to NOT kneel. Doesn't bother me and I couldn't care less - although what ends up typically happening is that someone who passionately disagrees with players kneeling ends up saying something that makes me go "ah....and that's why they're kneeling".
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,626

Post#66 » by DimesandKnicks » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:The only problem I've ever had with the anthem, was an Olympic Gold medal athlete, Carl Lewis singing it.

People overrate Roseanne singing it. Carl Lewis is the Gold standard.

Carl Lewis was actually trying..Roseanne was making a mockery of it and I believe grabbed her crotch and spit at its conclusion.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,626

Post#67 » by DimesandKnicks » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Heat84 wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Heat84 wrote:I don't believe they're protesting to disrespect the military but they're still wrong. While cops do resort to lethal tactics too quickly to subdue someone(because they have no business being cops if they're gonna pull their gun at the slightest sign of danger, even from someone unarmed), in most of those incidents that caused the protests, the person killed would still be alive if they had just complied with the officers instructions. Those incidents account for less than 1% of all cop/citizen interactions in the country. So the epidemic they're protesting about does not exist. Most black people are killed by other black people (statistically speaking). The protesters are raising hell about the 1% and ignoring the 99% especially Chicago.

Damm dude, you are ignorant.

Damn dude, you're a liberal.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/07/data-police-racial-bias
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,717

Post#68 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 pm

wco81 wrote:It was the language as well as the attitude, that they will do as he says when that involves suppressing their individual voices.

100% would happen at my job. If I showed up to a meeting with clients wearing a MAGA or Hillary hat you think my boss would be ok with that? The answer is no he wouldn't. He signs my paycheck. He can suppress my voice if he so desires. I'm on his time. If I don't like it I don't have to work there. Unless I missed a story somewhere I don't believe Jerry Jones has told players they aren't allowed to protest. He doesn't want it done on his time. I'm 100% ok with players kneeling. However, I'm 100% ok if owners don't want them protesting while at work. I think sometimes folks forget that athletes are employees.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,229

Post#69 » by BBallFreak » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
wco81 wrote:It was the language as well as the attitude, that they will do as he says when that involves suppressing their individual voices.

100% would happen at my job. If I showed up to a meeting with clients wearing a MAGA or Hillary hat you think my boss would be ok with that? The answer is no he wouldn't. He signs my paycheck. He can suppress my voice if he so desires. I'm on his time. If I don't like it I don't have to work there. Unless I missed a story somewhere I don't believe Jerry Jones has told players they aren't allowed to protest. He doesn't want it done on his time. I'm 100% ok with players kneeling. However, I'm 100% ok if owners don't want them protesting while at work. I think sometimes folks forget that athletes are employees.

You're right to an extent. The players are in a better position than most though, in that they have a CBA. Before the league can make such a rule, the players have to agree with it.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,717

Post#70 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:07 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

You're right to an extent. The players are in a better position than most though, in that they have a CBA. Before the league can make such a rule, the players have to agree with it.

I'm sure it is semantics by the league here.... But, technically the anthem falls under the pregame operations manual in which the CBA has no authority.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#71 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:

Agreed with all of this. A ton of jobs tell their employees talking politics is not allowed while working, let alone making a political protest.

Do I personally want political things pushed into my entertainment, no. I go to movies and watch sports and entertainment to get away from that stuff for a few hours. But do I think its disrespectful to the flag? No. Do I think its the most horrible thing to happen to the sport? No. It really makes no difference to me because again that is usually when Im going to the bathroom or getting my snacks ready for the game. Plus the networks stopped airing the anthem late last season anyways. So it really doesnt effect my viewing of the game, unless the announcers talk about it non stop at the beginning of the game and not talk about the game. But that is more my annoyance of broadcasters talking about stuff rather than the game while the game is going on (I dont care the topic). So ya I think many people exaggerated this thing and made it a huge story when it didnt have to be (including the president).

But on the other end of the straw, I have no problem with a boss telling their employees that they dont want them making political stands or protests at the job. Welcome to basically every other job there is. This has nothing to do with their 1st amendment, this is just a case of a boss not wanting his employees to politically protest while at work. And this is nothing at all like slavery.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#72 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:54 pm

I still get a kick out of Trump constantly pointing to TV ratings in this debate.

Who the hell still watches TV!? Neilson is still catching up on incorporating streaming services into their ratings. I have been using Hulu Live for a few years now at the recommendation of many friends. Only last summer was this services added to the ratings system. Many alternatives have yet to be included.

TV ratings are misleading while the industry is in a state of transition. Meanwhile, NFL revenue is at an all time high.

The NFL is quite happy where they are Trump.

Return to The General NFL Board