Why is Cam Newton Considered Great?

Moderator: bwgood77

Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Why is Cam Newton Considered Great? 

Post#1 » by Pacercoltboiler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 am

The talking heads talk about great QBs, and immediately Newton gets mentioned in the top five. Why? I know he can hit his tight end Olsen, but I don't really see him as a hitting a guy in stride QB. Does he even have a deep ball as far as accuracy? At the same time, a guy like Brees gets no love at all, and he is actually deadly accurate. What did Newton do to get love that Brees did not?
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Re: Why is Cam Newton Considered Great? 

Post#2 » by Mind_Odyssey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:57 am

Because of 2015. That’s it.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#3 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:35 pm

In Cam's defense his best receiver (not TE) he has ever played with is a declining Steve Smith. The Panthers sure haven't put many weapons around him.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#4 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Brees gets no love at all? That's news to me. He's in the mix for top 5 qb year in and year out...
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,618

Post#5 » by bmurph128 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:56 pm

I have Brees as literally the third best QB of all time, so, gets plenty of love from me.

As for Cammy, the one great season mixed with the prototypical/never before seen combo of size and athleticism.

I do not consider Cam "great" - I consider him "good" - same category as Wilson - guys that can win you games but not going to be on that Rodgers/Brees/Brady level, probably ever.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,424

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 am

bmurph128 wrote:I have Brees as literally the third best QB of all time, so, gets plenty of love from me.

As for Cammy, the one great season mixed with the prototypical/never before seen combo of size and athleticism.

I do not consider Cam "great" - I consider him "good" - same category as Wilson - guys that can win you games but not going to be on that Rodgers/Brees/Brady level, probably ever.

He's still got time.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#7 » by RavenMad31 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:56 am

I think I looked it up for a different thread a while back and his career numbers and W-L record are pretty similar to Colin Kaepernick's. The stardom of Cam Newton definitely outshines the numbers, you're right. I did always like the commercial where the kid is telling Cam that he's going to take his job.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#8 » by Pacercoltboiler » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Cam is tough, and hard to bring down, but he is in a run based offense. He has always had a decent OL, and Carolina has that fetish with huge WR. It is like they want every pass to be a jump ball. Cam is a winner, and a good QB, but he isn't one of those guys you fear in the 4th quarter. I think he gets the media love because he is flashy, and loves the cameras. Brees, I just don't know. You heard Brady and Manning forever. Then you heard all of the Aaron Rodgers love. They are all three greats, and it makes total sense. But then you start hearing the hype for guys like Russell Wilson and Derek Carr. Brees seems like an invisible man. He makes the top five list every year, but the media won't touch him. They will be forced to give him a little coverage when he breaks the all-time passing yardage number. He just seems like the greatest QB you never hear about. Is it because he is in New Orleans? Maybe it is because he is a quiet non-flashy guy? The only press I hear is about how much he meant to the community after the Hurricane. He is the invisible hall of famer.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Because of 2015. That’s it.

Pretty much. Because when you take 2015 away, it's more or less a slightly above average QB we are talking about.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

Return to The General NFL Board