2018-19 NFL predictions

Moderator: bwgood77

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Re: 2018-19 NFL predictions 

Post#21 » by therealbig3 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:22 pm

I also like how we can assume the Rams were going to hold on to win if not for that fumble, when there were like what, 8-9 minutes on the clock when the fumble happened?

And they also got the ball back with a little less than 4 minutes to go, down 2.

Sorry, ONE play didn't change the outcome of that game. And the injury that mattered the most was the one to Wentz anyway.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#22 » by therealbig3 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Wouldn't be surprised to see an Eagles-Patriots rematch this year btw.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#23 » by OGLife » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:24 am

MVP: Aaron Rodgers 2. Jared Goff 3. Tom Brady
Offensive Player of the Year: Deshaun Watson 2. Jared Goff 3. Jimmy Garoppolo
Defensive Player of the Year: Aaron Donald 2. Joey Bosa 3. Jalen Ramsey
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Saquon Barkley 2. Baker Mayfield
3. Sam Donald
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Bradley Chubb 2. Denzel Ward 3. Roquan Smith
Comeback Player of the Year: Aaron Rodgers
Coach of the Year: Mike McCarthy 2. Sean McVay 3. Bill Belichick
AFC Championship Game: Pittsburg Steelers - New England Patriots
NFC Championship Game: Los Angeles Rams - Green Bay Packers
Super Bowl: New England Patriots - Green Bay Packers
Super Bowl Champs: Green Bay Packers
Super Bowl MVP: Aaron Rodgers
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#24 » by bmurph128 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:49 pm

therealbig3 wrote:I also like how we can assume the Rams were going to hold on to win if not for that fumble, when there were like what, 8-9 minutes on the clock when the fumble happened?

And they also got the ball back with a little less than 4 minutes to go, down 2.

Sorry, ONE play didn't change the outcome of that game. And the injury that mattered the most was the one to Wentz anyway.

The Eagles didn't move the ball again, or even on that drive after the fumble, so it's a fair assumption.

Anyways I wasn't saying all that as a "see how easily the Eagles could have not even made the super bowl" - more as a point to how fluid the NFL season is. There's absolutely no guarantee that the Eagles will be better and while obviously Wentz was a huge injury, no QB is playing better than Foles did in that super bowl. It was actually one of the greatest performances ever. Wentz likely gets them a more comfortable win against Atlanta, but other than that replacing Foles with him gets you no gain in the NFCCG or the Super Bowl. Everybody can play the "if" game, and of course we can go all the way back to Wentz getting injured in the first place being random - the drive was extended by an awful taunting call on Trumaine Johnson - after the game Alshon even said he didn't understand why the ref threw a flag. The Eagles would have kicked a FG and Wentz would not have gotten hurt.

IMO the Rams and even the Vikings improved quite a bit more than the Eagles in the offseason - and there's nothing wrong with that. The Eagles were the best team in the NFL last year, so we needed to catch up.

As for people not picking the Eagles - I'm sure plenty will, but it's always a buzzkill to pick the defending champs to win again.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#25 » by Bulltalk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:18 am

I hate the Patriots if for no other reason than they've been playing in a division of patsies for like ever. The Jets, Dolphins, Bills...have you no self respect? You hand the Pats the division title season after season before it even begins.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#26 » by therealbig3 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:10 am

Bulltalk wrote:I hate the Patriots if for no other reason than they've been playing in a division of patsies for like ever. The Jets, Dolphins, Bills...have you no self respect? You hand the Pats the division title season after season before it even begins.

AFC East has sent two playoff teams for the last 2 years, and the year before that, the Jets missed the playoffs at 10-6. Jets, Bills, and Dolphins have had their moments over the years.

It's not as big of a joke as the AFC South, for example.

The AFC is just a joke compared to the NFC in general though. Every NFC playoff team last year had at least 10 wins. 10 wins was enough to win ANY of the 4 divisions in the AFC, even though the Pats and Steelers overachieved and won 13. 10 wins in the NFC got Atlanta 3rd place in their own division and the 6th seed.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#27 » by Bulltalk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:37 am

therealbig3 wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:I hate the Patriots if for no other reason than they've been playing in a division of patsies for like ever. The Jets, Dolphins, Bills...have you no self respect? You hand the Pats the division title season after season before it even begins.

AFC East has sent two playoff teams for the last 2 years, and the year before that, the Jets missed the playoffs at 10-6. Jets, Bills, and Dolphins have had their moments over the years.

The AFC is just a joke compared to the NFC in general though. Every NFC playoff team last year had at least 10 wins. 10 wins was enough to win ANY of the 4 divisions in the AFC, even though the Pats and Steelers overachieved and won 13. 10 wins in the NFC got Atlanta 3rd place in their own division and the 6th seed.

The Patriots have won their division 15 times out of the last 17 years. The two times they didn't, they finished in second place. Yes, I am aware that they arguably have the best QB and the best head coach in NFL history. But, having said that, in the modern parity driven NFL, with salary cap, low draft picks for the winningest teams, and all the player movement that happens, I would say that this divisional record of theirs is just as much a testament to how bad the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills have been than how good the Patriots have been.

It has been the easiest division they could have played in the last 17 years. It's like they are almost guaranteed 5 or 6 wins before the season even begins. Does anybody think they are not going to win a minimum of 5 games against their divisional opponents this year? 5 is surely the over/under, and that might be understating it.

Their divisional opponents have been so collectively bad the last 17 years, it's like the Pats have been all but guaranteed of making the AFC championship game each year.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#28 » by bmurph128 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

The Patriots have won their division 15 times out of the last 17 years. The two times they didn't, they finished in second place. Yes, I am aware that they arguably have the best QB and the best head coach in NFL history. But, having said that, in the modern parity driven NFL, with salary cap, low draft picks for the winningest teams, and all the player movement that happens, I would say that this divisional record of theirs is just as much a testament to how bad the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills have been than how good the Patriots have been.

It has been the easiest division they could have played in the last 17 years. It's like they are almost guaranteed 5 or 6 wins before the season even begins. Does anybody think they are not going to win a minimum of 5 games against their divisional opponents this year? 5 is surely the over/under, and that might be understating it.

Their divisional opponents have been so collectively bad the last 17 years, it's like the Pats have been all but guaranteed of making the AFC championship game each year.

I agree 100%. Patriots fans defend this by pointing out that their winning percentage is virtually the same against their divisional opponents as it is the rest of the NFL.

But when the best QB in the past 17 years from those three teams combined is Chad Pennington...you were never truly a threat.

And one of those years that the Patriots finished in 2nd place, Brady was out for the year and they still tied the Dolphins with an 11-5 record.

The Patriots have been given a high chance at getting a first round bye nearly every season, primarily because of the ineptitude of the other three teams.

Combining the talent of those three teams at any point probably still doesnt beat many of the Patriots teams over the years.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#29 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:31 pm

PockyCandy wrote:Teddy Bridgewater is going to start all 16 games.

On a completely unrelated note, I have tickets to the Titans VS Jets game in December, and I may be the only person outside of the Bridgewater family who is hoping that he's still starting over Darnold at that time.

A starting gig just isn't in the cards for Teddy. Jets made out with quite the haul though...flipped a $1M contract into a 3rd round pick.
DrAWNiloc
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#30 » by DrAWNiloc » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 pm

MVP: Aaron Rodgers
Offensive Player of the Year: Dalvin Cook
Defensive Player of the Year: Miles Garrett
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Hayden Hurst
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Roquan Smith
Comeback Player of the Year: David Johnson
Coach of the Year: Sean McVay