Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Re: Earl Thomas won´t report to training camp 

Post#21 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 5, 2018 4:37 pm

The Regime wrote:
Read on Twitter

I feel like Seattle is going to regret this decision.

Hopefully, we lock him up. If not, franchise him next year. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#22 » by Bulltalk » Wed Sep 5, 2018 5:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
The Regime wrote:
Read on Twitter

I feel like Seattle is going to regret this decision.

Hopefully, we lock him up. If not, franchise him next year. :wink:

Cactus, don't you take a 2nd rounder for him now? We're on the rebuild, and didn't we lose our 2nd round pick in the Duane Brown trade? We could get it back here. It could be a mid-level 2nd round pick.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#23 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 5, 2018 6:13 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Hopefully, we lock him up. If not, franchise him next year. :wink:

Cactus, don't you take a 2nd rounder for him now? We're on the rebuild, and didn't we lose our 2nd round pick in the Duane Brown trade? We could get it back here. It could be a mid-level 2nd round pick.

No. That's not good enough in my mind. I want a (2nd + 4th) at minimum. We gave up a 2nd & 3rd for Brown last year. People really overrate the value of draft picks.

We haven't drafted well enough recently to really capitalize anyway. Where is Malik McDowell these days? :wink: :banghead:

Dallas has low-balled us from the beginning. Tell Jerry & his clowns to kick rocks. :lol:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,243

Post#24 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Sep 5, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm glad Jerry and his clowns lost this one. Want to stay younger and keep getting younger. Rather keep our 2nd round pick and watch you guys have a wonderful season.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#25 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Sep 5, 2018 9:25 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Hopefully, we lock him up. If not, franchise him next year. :wink:

No. That's not good enough in my mind. I want a (2nd + 4th) at minimum. We gave up a 2nd & 3rd for Brown last year. People really overrate the value of draft picks.

We haven't drafted well enough recently to really capitalize anyway. Where is Malik McDowell these days? :wink: :banghead:

Dallas has low-balled us from the beginning. Tell Jerry & his clowns to F off! :lol:

Wasn't ET seriously contemplating retirement last year? What makes you think an indecisive 30 year old, who is constantly dishing out big hit after big hit, would fetch a 2nd and 4th round pick? I cant believe Dallas offered a 2nd for him honestly...
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#26 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 5, 2018 10:50 pm

The Regime wrote:Wasn't ET seriously contemplating retirement last year? What makes you think an indecisive 30 year old, who is constantly dishing out big hit after big hit, would fetch a 2nd and 4th round pick? I cant believe Dallas offered a 2nd for him honestly...

He's still worth more to the team than some unknown 2nd Round pick. We're still talking about a HOF safety here. He's not exactly replaceable.

Earl is a very emotional, spur of the moment type. He was never going to actually retire. Assuming he stays healthy, he has a good 3-4 years left in him realistically. Worth the investment.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,221

Post#27 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 9:40 pm

If you franchise him, it would be $10-15 million or more?

Seahawks would have to be contenders to justify that kind of salary wouldn't they?

Maybe they will be, despite predictions.

It's kind of strange, that these stories in the last week make it sound like they're eulogizing the team. I think Sportscenter talked about the dynasty that never was and showed the goal line interception by Butler as the end of a possible dynasty.

But if Wilson could still play at a high level, they should be able to sign some big free agents? Because the some of the guys who were earning big salaries like Bennett, Sherman and Chancellor are gone so they should have cap space.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#28 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 7, 2018 11:03 pm

wco81 wrote:If you franchise him, it would be $10-15 million or more?

Seahawks would have to be contenders to justify that kind of salary wouldn't they?

It's kind of strange, that these stories in the last week make it sound like they're eulogizing the team. I think Sportscenter talked about the dynasty that never was and showed the goal line interception by Butler as the end of a possible dynasty.

But if Wilson could still play at a high level, they should be able to sign some big free agents? Because the some of the guys who were earning big salaries like Bennett, Sherman and Chancellor are gone so they should have cap space.

The team is going to have like $70 million in cap space next off-season. So, it's not a concern at all. Russ, Bobby Wagner, Doug Baldwin & Duane Brown have high salaries, but that's about it. So, they can easily afford to pay Earl & a few other guys as well.

Before this off-season, the team's cap was heavily invested in the defense (70%). So, that's why the offensive line has sucked & the offense has struggled at times. Pete & the front office finally realized that they needed to cut bait with some of the high salaried, aging players on defense & invest more money into the offense overtime. To try to be more balanced as a team.

By letting Sherman, Bennett, Avril & others go, it's going to save them a ton of money. Money they can roll over & use next year.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#29 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Sep 8, 2018 3:24 am

wco81 wrote:It's kind of strange, that these stories in the last week make it sound like they're eulogizing the team.

The source (Sherman) can't seem to move on. Drama seems to follow him. :wink:

Spoiler:
I'm glad the team finally moved on from him & he's now the Niners problem. :lol:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#30 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Sep 8, 2018 1:18 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
wco81 wrote:If you franchise him, it would be $10-15 million or more?

The team is going to have like $70 million in cap space next off-season. So, it's not a concern at all. Russ, Bobby Wagner, Doug Baldwin & Duane Brown have high salaries, but that's about it. So, they can easily afford to pay Earl & a few other guys as well.

Before this off-season, the team's cap was heavily invested in the defense (70%). So, that's why the offensive line has sucked & the offense has struggled at times. Pete & the front office finally realized that they needed to cut bait with some of the high salaried, aging players on defense & invest more money into the offense overtime. To try to be more balanced as a team.

By letting Sherman, Bennett, Avril & others go, it's going to save them a ton of money. Money they can roll over & use next year.

In the end, even with all that cap space, if their drafts don’t improve then you’re stuck in salary cap hell with no end in sight. That’s where the fix comes from.

Trust me. I know these things. I’ve seen them. And it never changes.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#31 » by jwise44 » Sat Sep 8, 2018 1:49 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
wco81 wrote:It's kind of strange, that these stories in the last week make it sound like they're eulogizing the team.

Spoiler:
I'm glad the team finally moved on from him & he's now the Niners problem. :lol:

I think it’s hilarious that they keep mentioning Bennett and Sherman then say an “ex-seahawk” as though it’s not completely obvious that it’s sherman.

Especially when one goes on to make Sherman look like a good guy about almost fighting Bennett
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#32 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Sep 8, 2018 3:07 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The team is going to have like $70 million in cap space next off-season. So, it's not a concern at all. Russ, Bobby Wagner, Doug Baldwin & Duane Brown have high salaries, but that's about it. So, they can easily afford to pay Earl & a few other guys as well.

In the end, even with all that cap space, if their drafts don’t improve then you’re stuck in salary cap hell with no end in sight. That’s where the fix comes from.

Trust me. I know these things. I’ve seen them. And it never changes.

Yup. That's how they built the SB teams. Through the draft.

Guys like Shaquem Griffin, Tre Flowers, Rasheem Green are going to get a lot of playing time. They also have faith that some of those young pups will step up & become consistent starters. That will go along way toward preserving & helping the cap over the next few years.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#33 » by Bulltalk » Sat Sep 8, 2018 8:31 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Spoiler:

I thought the SI article was kind of a nothingburger. Everybody knows that the SB loss to the Pats was one of the most gut-wrenching losses in a game of that magnitude in NFL history. They win that game, this article likely is never written years later. The core of that team would be a 2 time SB champion team, have the best record over about a 6 year period, and perhaps might have played in and even won another SB absent the psychological damage that occurred from that loss.

What else was news about that article? That franchise QB's get special treatment from their teams because they are by far the most important position in professional team sports? Duh. That due to the salary cap and the short life span of players in the NFL teams are forced to cut loose high priced veterans in favor of younger, lower salaried players under team control? Duh. That infighting exists amongst players on NFL teams at different times and junctures? Duh.

I thought the article was mostly just a statement of the obvious with a bunch of drama thrown in.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,221

Post#34 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 8, 2018 10:27 pm

I didn’t read the article but he headlines and reporting on it sounded like the “dynasty that never was” or “almost a dynasty” kind of a feeling.

They tried to defend the play call at the time but that has to be devastating for some. Sounds like some of the Warriors players coaches and staff after game 7 of the 2017 nba Finals.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#35 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Sep 8, 2018 11:10 pm

wco81 wrote:I didn’t read the article but he headlines and reporting on it sounded like the “dynasty that never was” or “almost a dynasty” kind of a feeling.

They tried to defend the play call at the time but that has to be devastating for some. Sounds like some of the Warriors players coaches and staff after game 7 of the 2017 nba Finals.

It's basically Sherm & a few former players complaining about Pete not calling out Wilson. Sour grapes mostly.

Richard is just being a giant petty drama queen. He's held a grudge against Jim Harbaugh since the time he was drafted. Now, he has a personal vendetta against Pete. It's just his personality (Diva).

Sherman has always been a man of extremes, of loud arrogance and quiet desperation, who plays as if his self-worth were at stake. It's how a skinny kid from Compton who shied away from contact in youth football willed himself to Stanford and became one of the most physical corners in football history. He's famous in the building both for being a teammate you can go to with any personal problem and for pointing fingers.

"He's always looking at what other people are doing," says a former assistant coach who has had many talks with him. "He's made it personal. It's your fault we're not winning. It wears guys thin."

Return to The General NFL Board