NFL Conference Championships Games Discussion

Moderator: bwgood77

rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,145

Re: NFL Conference Championships Games Discussion 

Post#121 » by rapstarter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:15 am

Belichick, Brady and Gronk are the GOAT, but damn is Julian Edelman clutch. He's had a more illustrious career than most Hall of Famers. Only thing is I don't think he will remember much of it when he retires. His brain is being sacrificed for Brady's legacy.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#122 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:26 am

High 5 wrote:The missed DPI was hilariously bad and inexcusable, but as a Falcons fan it was a late Christmas present. The Saints winning a SB in Atlanta would have fueled my nightmares for a long time.

Honestly, I was terrified of the idea of making it to the Superbowl in Atlanta and having something like what happened to y'all, happen to us. :/

Luckily the poor officiating would have none of it. Fittingly, Tom Brady got to go again, with a little help with some absolute phantom calls, like the roughing the passer where the guy never even got off his blocker to touch Tom. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#123 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:07 am

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Marcus_Shart
Starter
And1: 3,599

Post#124 » by Marcus_Shart » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:34 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
High 5 wrote:The missed DPI was hilariously bad and inexcusable, but as a Falcons fan it was a late Christmas present. The Saints winning a SB in Atlanta would have fueled my nightmares for a long time.

Honestly, I was terrified of the idea of making it to the Superbowl in Atlanta and having something like what happened to y'all, happen to us. :/

Luckily the poor officiating would have none of it. Fittingly, Tom Brady got to go again, with a little help with some absolute phantom calls, like the roughing the passer where the guy never even got off his blocker to touch Tom. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whine all you want about phantom calls Maholmes couldn't get a 1st down to save his life in the 4th, but the zebras kept bailing him out there taking the pressure off him. That enabled him to fuel the comeback. Thankfully the Pats stuck to the gameplan and won the coin toss keeping Steph Dirt off the field. I have a bad feeling about this superbowl though being it's the hated Pats against a huge market team. Generally doesn't end well when we've played NY I can only imagine LA will be granted something equivalent to the helmet catch being LA.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#125 » by therealbig3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:29 am

Lots and lots of whining.

Much like the Steelers, the Saints have been living off a SB from ages ago and have done nothing but choke their way out of the playoffs every year since (when they even make it). This year was just more of the same. The sudden outrage is hilarious, especially when they still had the lead after that missed DPI, AND they had the ball to start OT and Brees proceeded to throw a pick that gave the Rams the chance to end it. And if we want to go through the game and see what penalties/non calls caused what, I’m sure you can find plenty throughout the game that benefitted the Saints too.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,194

Post#126 » by The High Cyde » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:35 am

therealbig3 wrote:Lots and lots of whining.

Much like the Steelers, the Saints have been living off a SB from ages ago and have done nothing but choke their way out of the playoffs every year since (when they even make it). This year was just more of the same. The sudden outrage is hilarious, especially when they still had the lead after that missed DPI, AND they had the ball to start OT and Brees proceeded to throw a pick that gave the Rams the chance to end it. And if we want to go through the game and see what penalties/non calls caused what, I’m sure you can find plenty throughout the game that benefitted the Saints too.

I still have flashbacks of the freak Tim Tebow led Broncos beating the Steelers in the playoffs from a few years back...haha truth be told since LA didn't have a team I decided to back the Steelers, cause I didn't get along with the guy who was a Chargers fan, and I freaking hate the Bay I hated the Nines... but I think I found a team to root for in the Rams lol they're back home =D

I'll say this though, as a fan of the Rams ( ;) ) though, the Saints got jobbed. That was clear as a text book definition of PI as you'll ever see and the Rams and everyone else with a brain knows it. They got away with one. It is what it is boys.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#127 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 am

The High Cyde wrote:

I still have flashbacks of the freak Tim Tebow led Broncos beating the Steelers in the playoffs from a few years back...haha truth be told since LA didn't have a team I decided to back the Steelers, cause I didn't get along with the guy who was a Chargers fan, and I freaking hate the Bay I hated the Nines... but I think I found a team to root for in the Rams lol they're back home =D

I'll say this though, as a fan of the Rams ( ;) ) though, the Saints got jobbed. That was clear as a text book definition of PI as you'll ever see and the Rams and everyone else with a brain knows it. They got away with one. It is what it is boys.

You notice it’a mostly Patriots fans that want to be like “every team gets bad calls”, like anything ever goes against them

It is what it is, it’s not a grand conspiracy, or excuses, or an everybody hates us mentality. The Saints were just on the losing end of a horrificly bad pass interference that should have ended the game.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#128 » by laika » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:46 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:

You notice it’a mostly Patriots fans that want to be like “every team gets bad calls”, like anything ever goes against them

It is what it is, it’s not a grand conspiracy, or excuses, or an everybody hates us mentality. The Saints were just on the losing end of a horrificly bad pass interference that should have ended the game.

Calls go against the Patriots all the time, but people refuse to notice. The refs were extremely favorable to Kansas City.

"The Pats got a break on the roughing the passer call where they thought they hit Brady in the helmet. I mean, it actually did graze his helmet - you could see it move as the hand slid down - but it was so minor that the Pats got a big break there.

But they got screwed on:
- The JC Jackson penalty along the sideline when he was just running stride for stride with the receiver, nothing more.(even more horrific considering there was contact on Patriots receivers on nearly every play in the 4th quarter)
- The non-holding or DPI penalty against Eric Berry when, from the moment the ball was snapped, he was hanging on to Gronk's jersey for dear life, never once letting go, and no flag in sight.
-The extemely weak penalty on Jackson for holding(he was in the 5 yard area) that negated a huge Chiefs lost yardage on the fumble.
- The non-DPI penalty on the Dorsett touchdown. He got absolutely mugged - WAY worse than what Jackson did to Kelce. No flag. I do wonder if they'd have thrown it had Dorsett not caught the ball, like maybe the ref kept it in his pocket to see the outcome of the play. If so, I can live with that, but if he really wasn't gonna call DPI...holy smokes.
- The Dorsett OPI penalty. Ok, I can actually live with that one EXCEPT......
- The NON OPI penalty against the Chiefs on the play being discussed in this thread which was FAR more egregious.(blatant pick that Chiefs scored touchdown on).
So I don't want to hear any whining by Chiefs fans about this game. Tom Jackson saying in the post-game (and we know he hates BB and the Pats) that you "hate" to call an offsides penalty like they did on Ford. Yeah, TJ, the dude was a half yard offsides, and it was OBVIOUS. You can't just pretend that's not happening right in front of everyone. It's different from the Saints-Rams DPI non-call, which is a terrible no-call but that's a bang-bang play in the flow of the action. The offsides call...my god the guy just lined up there and never moved and the ref stared at it for like three or four full seconds. Had to throw the flag there."

Also, it is actually not what it is. Goodell under rule 17 has the authority to replay the end of the game. But we know he won't do that.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#129 » by rapstarter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Geddy wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:So how long till we start hearing Tony Romo's name in coaching rumors? The dude's knowledge of the game is pretty crazy. The amount of tape he has to be watching is crazy.

He should be a defensive coordinator with the way he was predicting the plays

I imagine a lot of defensive coordinators can do the same. Identifying isn't the problem, the real challenge is communicating what to do to the players on the field at the very last second.

If I were him, I'd just stay a commentator. He's clearly better than everyone else at the job, and it's stress-free and high-paying.
donato
Junior
And1: 568

Post#130 » by donato » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm

https://www.change.org/p/we-want-nfc-championship-rematch-after-refs-missed-call-and-cost-saints-trip-to-super-bowl-we-want-nfc-championship-rematch-sunday-jan-27-after-refs-missed-call

All football fans should be signing this. No matter what your team, the outcome of the freaking SUPERBOWL matchup was affected. The refs clearly were either paid off or for personal reasons didn't throw the flag. There's literally ZERO other logical explanation. The game would've 99% been over after that. No matter if nothing comes by signing this, the message needs to be sent as loudly as possible.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,051

Post#131 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:12 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Tom Brady is the best QB we’ve ever seen. I’d put him above Jordan.

Who is Jordan? I don't remember a top QB named Jordan?
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,836

Post#132 » by azcatz11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Tom Brady is the best QB we’ve ever seen. I’d put him above Jordan.

Who is Jordan? I don't remember a top QB named Jordan?

And that’s why you shouldn’t post after drinking all day :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#133 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Pats got SO lucky that guy was in the neutral zone. That interception was game over. It's amazing that penalties determined the outcome of both championship games.

And then, lucky again...

Patriots now 3-for-3 in playoff OT coin tosses
It was the first of three overtime playoff games for the Patriots in the Brady/Bill Belichick dynasty. Each time, the Patriots won the overtime coin toss. And each time, the Patriots offense took care of business on the field to secure the victory before the opposing offense had a chance to take the field in the extra session.

It happened in Super Bowl LI, when Brady led a drive that resulted in a James White touchdown to cap a comeback from a 28-3 deficit against the Atlanta Falcons to claim the Patriots’ fifth Super Bowl win.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/patriots-win-another-playoff-ot-coin-toss-spark-questions-fairness-nfl-rules-053957805.html
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#134 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Pats got SO lucky that guy was in the neutral zone. That interception was game over. It's amazing that penalties determined the outcome of both championship games.

It was the right call. But, the RTP call was truly mindblowing lol. Between that & the DPI non-call, it might be the worst officiated set of games the NFL has had in sometime considering what was on the line.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#135 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Pats got SO lucky that guy was in the neutral zone. That interception was game over. It's amazing that penalties determined the outcome of both championship games.

It was the right call. But, the RTP call was truly mindblowing lol. Between that & the DPI non-call, it might be the worst officiated set of games the NFL has had in sometime considering what was on the line.

What is RTP? I know it was the right call, it was dumb of the guy, but the Pats were lucky there was a dumb guy on that play. That stuff happens a lot.

They get some kind of luck so often. Whether it be winning all coin flips for OT in playoff games, the Tuck Rule, Seahawks not running Lynch at goal line, etc.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#136 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:36 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

What is RTP? I know it was the right call, it was dumb of the guy, but the Pats were lucky there was a dumb guy on that play. That stuff happens a lot.

They get some kind of luck so often. Whether it be winning all coin flips for OT in playoff games, the Tuck Rule, Seahawks not running Lynch at goal line, etc.

Lol sorry. Roughing The Passer.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#137 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Saints did get jobbed on that missed call, easy PI call and the game is over. I don't like the refs deciding it that way, and it's probably why they swallowed the whistle, but when the penalty is completely obvious, you have to make the call.

But WTH is Payton thinking to call a pass on first down inside 2 minutes with the Rams only having 2 timeouts? Run the ball, force them to use both of their timeouts. Yes, it's conservative, and yes, the Rams offense is good enough to get in FG range with an explosive play or 2, but having to go that distance with zero TO's and under a minute still has some level of difficulty. That was a time management blunder by a HC who has been around way too long to make that mistake.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#138 » by therealbig3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:

Lol don’t think any of the people telling you guys to get over it has been a Pats fan, except for that laika guy.

EVERYONE can point to bad calls/non-calls that might have cost their team the game. Even Pats fans. The Saints still had multiple chances to end it though, so you can’t keep clinging to excuses.

And the Pats are probably the most screwed over team in the league considering the two witch hunts they went through that robbed them of draft picks. Deflate gate was classic stupid people vs smart people with stupid people winning out.
donato
Junior

Post#139 » by donato » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:13 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Saints did get jobbed on that missed call, easy PI call and the game is over. I don't like the refs deciding it that way, and it's probably why they swallowed the whistle, but when the penalty is completely obvious, you have to make the call.

But WTH is Payton thinking to call a pass on first down inside 2 minutes with the Rams only having 2 timeouts? Run the ball, force them to use both of their timeouts. Yes, it's conservative, and yes, the Rams offense is good enough to get in FG range with an explosive play or 2, but having to go that distance with zero TO's and under a minute still has some level of difficulty. That was a time management blunder by a HC who has been around way too long to make that mistake.

Payton did call a pass play on first down, Brees audibled out of it. The play was fine, he just made a poor throw an open Thomas that probably would've gotten 8 yards or so. Then the run on second down went nowhere (Rams were shutting down the run at this point). Then came what should've been the game ending pass interference no-call.

I can't fault them for the play calling. The Rams were moving the ball well at this point in the game, and the memory of Minnesota winning with 8 seconds left last season has to also be kinda fresh. It was aggressive, and it would've worked if it weren't for referee bias/fixing/whatever b.s. excuse. I don't see how whatever happened earlier in the game matters. It's like "whataboutism" relating to politics. The game should've been over and there's no excuse.
donato
Junior

Post#140 » by donato » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:16 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:

Lol don’t think any of the people telling you guys to get over it has been a Pats fan, except for that laika guy.

EVERYONE can point to bad calls/non-calls that might have cost their team the game. Even Pats fans. The Saints still had multiple chances to end it though, so you can’t keep clinging to excuses.

And the Pats are probably the most screwed over team in the league considering the two witch hunts they went through that robbed them of draft picks. Deflate gate was classic stupid people vs smart people with stupid people winning out.

Did you even watch the Saints game? Forget multiple chances later. That call has to be made. On no level of football is that not called by even the most amateur referee. Don't you get it? Then you talk about chances later? No. On the interception in OT Brees was clobbered in the face by the defender and that wasn't called either. You can't win if things that impact a play aren't called. This was decided by the refs. There is no other logical reason.

Return to The General NFL Board