NFL owners reportedly have proposed 18-game schedule with 16-game limit for all players

Moderator: bwgood77

Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

NFL owners reportedly have proposed 18-game schedule with 16-game limit for all players 

Post#1 » by Jay 20 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:55 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-reportedly-have-proposed-18-game-schedule-with-16-game-limit-for-all-players-as-cba-talks-intensify/

I don't like this at all. Teams would have to bench players periodically throughout the year so players do not exceed their 16 game limit. It would be really strange in my opinion. Just to get some more games?

I guess it's all about the money for the owners so they have a reason to want this.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Re: NFL owners reportedly have proposed 18-game schedule with 16-game limit for all players 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Sounds awful. So Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc. all have to sit 2 games? Yeah...That's gonna go over real well with fans who paid for tickets. :lol:

The NFL should have reduced the Pre-season to 3 games (At most) long ago. 2 preferably. But, anything to make an extra buck. :roll:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Re: NFL owners reportedly have proposed 18-game schedule with 16-game limit for all players 

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:30 am

I'm not against a longer season at all, especially since they could just reduce preseason by 2 games, but yeah, having a max of 16 games doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But the 16 game schedule is fine with me too. Typically it's enough.

If they really want to expand the games though I wouldn't be against adding a playoff team on each side. They have more teams in the NFL than the NBA but fewer playoff spots.

Plus, with 4 division winners, sometimes a really tough division with 3 good teams leaves a team out of the playoffs and a 2nd lesser team from a weak division (with two really weak teams) benefits.

So in this case, you'd get only 1 team in each conference with a bye, and 3 games in each conference on WC week...3 division winners without byes host 3 wildcard teams, and #1 seed bye hosts lowest seeded advancing winner in second week while other two winners play.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#4 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:15 am

Take it! BUT, ask and negotiate for the World! Bump up the roster from 53 to 75+. That gets more.paid players into the league. Salaries? Raise it to the roof! Pension? Jack that up as well. Medical benefits, the best first class medical insurance. Expansion? Get that done, maybe not in America, expand presence moreso in Europe, sending a message that the league pays top dollar for any european athlete. Many are lookin at it half empty. Im sayin its half full. You Billionaires want expansion? Then pay for it plus all the trappings and extras that come with it.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#5 » by JazzUte88 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:15 am

I kinda like it.
justme400e
Junior
And1: 116

Post#6 » by justme400e » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:43 pm

It could be the opportunity the NFLPA has been waiting for to get cannabis testing eliminated. Owners will get it approved one way or another so the players might as well get something that they've wanted for a while.
4theland4ever
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by 4theland4ever » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:57 am

Just another money grab by the NFL. I'm trying to figure out who's worst....them or the NBA (with their new "awards" show.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#8 » by Pharmcat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:53 pm

justme400e wrote:It could be the opportunity the NFLPA has been waiting for to get cannabis testing eliminated. Owners will get it approved one way or another so the players might as well get something that they've wanted for a while.

LOL thats a terrible deal.

you want 18 games, players need guaranteed contracts and guaranteed health care post nfl career.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#9 » by bmurph128 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:19 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Sounds awful. So Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc. all have to sit 2 games? Yeah...That's gonna go over real well with fans who paid for tickets. :lol:

The NFL should have reduced the Pre-season to 3 games (At most) long ago. 2 preferably. But, anything to make an extra buck. :roll:

I've heard this argument a lot, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Rodgers has been injured for half the season twice in his career. Brady once for the entire season. Some of the fans that bought tickets to games they missed were probably disappointed, but it happens. Also rest them at the end of the year if they have seeding locked up.

You're right about preseason, but no business would sacrifice that money - so if we end up with less preseason games it will only be in exchange for more regular season games.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#10 » by bmurph128 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I'm not against a longer season at all, especially since they could just reduce preseason by 2 games, but yeah, having a max of 16 games doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But the 16 game schedule is fine with me too. Typically it's enough.

If they really want to expand the games though I wouldn't be against adding a playoff team on each side. They have more teams in the NFL than the NBA but fewer playoff spots.

Plus, with 4 division winners, sometimes a really tough division with 3 good teams leaves a team out of the playoffs and a 2nd lesser team from a weak division (with two really weak teams) benefits.

So in this case, you'd get only 1 team in each conference with a bye, and 3 games in each conference on WC week...3 division winners without byes host 3 wildcard teams, and #1 seed bye hosts lowest seeded advancing winner in second week while other two winners play.

The NBA has too many playoff spots, so that's probably not the best model. But a 7th playoff team would be interesting - only allowing for one team to get a bye week. Would make home field advantage incredibly valuable.

I think the 16/18 idea is brilliant - teams would need to adapt, don't get me wrong - but the added revenue would increase the salary cap and add roster spots (they would have to increase the roster for how many backups would need to play) - and it would make having a backup QB one of the more important positions for the two games that your starter would have to sit.

You add jobs, add money, add meaningful football games, all while not jeopardizing player safety by them playing more games. IMO it's a win/win/win/win.

Return to The General NFL Board