General Fantasy Football Discussion

Moderator: bwgood77

Cassalien
Sophomore
And1: 98

General Fantasy Football Discussion 

Post#1 » by Cassalien » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:12 am

I dont know if this is the right place to ask for some fantasy football advice but I will just go ahead and ask you guys for advice.

I am not the most experienced football fan since i started watching football about 5 years ago so please excuse my idiocy.

Anyways, I still need a RB for week two and RB is pretty much the position I have the least clue about on who to pick. There is a few RBs for this season that I wanna get into my line ups with the likes of Sequon, Kamara, McCaffrey, Zeke and Bell yet here I am having no clue on who to pick.

I can't really estimate the quality of defense of the Buccaneers, therefore McCaffrey is someone I'd like to pick this week but dont have the knowledge about in terms of match up.

The Redskins surprised me last week by actually almost defeating the Eagles which i thought was gonna be an easy win for the Eagles so I am kinda afraid to go against the Redskins by picking Zeke.

Kamara vs the Rams is something I believe aint a good idea lol

Sequon vs the Bills - a team i dont follow at all - is hard to estimate how the bills will be performing on defense...

Last but not least is Bell, is he poised to feast on the Browns? Browns didnt look impressive at all in week one.

Every type of insight is greatly appreciated! I want to get more into Football but it aint easy doing so by living in germany lol
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Re: General Fantasy Football Discussion 

Post#2 » by DirtybirdGA » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 am

How many players are in your league? I'd side with McCaffrey.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Cassalien wrote:I dont know if this is the right place to ask for some fantasy football advice but I will just go ahead and ask you guys for advice.

I am not the most experienced football fan since i started watching football about 5 years ago so please excuse my idiocy.

Anyways, I still need a RB for week two and RB is pretty much the position I have the least clue about on who to pick. There is a few RBs for this season that I wanna get into my line ups with the likes of Sequon, Kamara, McCaffrey, Zeke and Bell yet here I am having no clue on who to pick.

I can't really estimate the quality of defense of the Buccaneers, therefore McCaffrey is someone I'd like to pick this week but dont have the knowledge about in terms of match up.

The Redskins surprised me last week by actually almost defeating the Eagles which i thought was gonna be an easy win for the Eagles so I am kinda afraid to go against the Redskins by picking Zeke.

Sequon vs the Bills - a team i dont follow at all - is hard to estimate how the bills will be performing on defense...

Last but not least is Bell, is he poised to feast on the Browns? Browns didnt look impressive at all in week one.

Every type of insight is greatly appreciated! I want to get more into Football but it aint easy doing so by living in germany lol

So I take it you are doing weekly fantasy on Draft Kings or Fanduel? If you get points for receptions, McCaffrey for sure, and maybe him anyway. Any of those you named are good options. You really never know. I think the Cowboys will always run Elliott a lot and they have one of the best lines, so he will almost always get yards. Barkley might be the best, but teams might stack the box against the run since the Giants pass game is weak. Also, the Giants are not very good so they may get down early and turn more to the pass.

But Barkley is still top 5 at worst usually. Kamara should always be good too. Bell also a solid option. You can always look at these....it might depend a little on whether or not you get points per reception (PPR) because a guy like McCaffrey catches a lot of passes...though even if you don't get points for each catch, you still will get points for all the yards, so he might be #1 anyway, particularly if not against a tough D.

Here are the PPR rankings from ESPN: https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/19ranksWeeklyRBPPR/fantasy-football-weekly-running-back-ppr-rankings-2019

And the non PPR rankings (they look pretty much the same anyway): https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/19ranksWeeklyRBnonPPR/fantasy-football-weekly-running-back-non-ppr-rankings-2019
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,585

Post#4 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:31 pm

This is a no brainer for me. McCaffrey should light up that charmin soft Bucs defense.
Cassalien
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Cassalien » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Cassalien wrote:I dont know if this is the right place to ask for some fantasy football advice but I will just go ahead and ask you guys for advice.

So I take it you are doing weekly fantasy on Draft Kings or Fanduel? If you get points for receptions, McCaffrey for sure, and maybe him anyway. Any of those you named are good options. You really never know. I think the Cowboys will always run Elliott a lot and they have one of the best lines, so he will almost always get yards. Barkley might be the best, but teams might stack the box against the run since the Giants pass game is weak. Also, the Giants are not very good so they may get down early and turn more to the pass.

But Barkley is still top 5 at worst usually. Kamara should always be good too. Bell also a solid option. You can always look at these....it might depend a little on whether or not you get points per reception (PPR) because a guy like McCaffrey catches a lot of passes...though even if you don't get points for each catch, you still will get points for all the yards, so he might be #1 anyway, particularly if not against a tough D.

Here are the PPR rankings from ESPN: https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/19ranksWeeklyRBPPR/fantasy-football-weekly-running-back-ppr-rankings-2019

And the non PPR rankings (they look pretty much the same anyway): https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/19ranksWeeklyRBnonPPR/fantasy-football-weekly-running-back-non-ppr-rankings-2019

Good stuff! Thanks for your opinion. I put in McCaffrey and hope for the best now.

I am not using fanduel nor draftkings. I kept it basic by joining the offical NFL fantasy manager (pretty straight forward name) since that is the page thats being promoted by our broadcast station. That said, there are points given to RBs for receiving yards as well so I am more than delighted to hear that he is most likely going to get lots of targets for passes as well.

I also went through some google research for the fantasy rankings for RBs since this is the position I know the least amount of players but for some reason didn't end up on the links you provided me so thanks for that as well sir!

On another note, would you recommend going for a different fantasy manager game as in draft kings or fan duel? Since this is my first season playing any sort of fantasy manager with some friends, we just settled for the easiest one lol

Edit: Is there a dedicated Thread for fantasy discussion other than the RealGM own fantasy leagues? Dunno if should grind peoples nerves with my non existent knowledge from time to time in the match up threads
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:04 am

Cassalien wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Good stuff! Thanks for your opinion. I put in McCaffrey and hope for the best now.

I am not using fanduel nor draftkings. I kept it basic by joining the offical NFL fantasy manager (pretty straight forward name) since that is the page thats being promoted by our broadcast station. That said, there are points given to RBs for receiving yards as well so I am more than delighted to hear that he is most likely going to get lots of targets for passes as well.

I also went through some google research for the fantasy rankings for RBs since this is the position I know the least amount of players but for some reason didn't end up on the links you provided me so thanks for that as well sir!

On another note, would you recommend going for a different fantasy manager game as in draft kings or fan duel? Since this is my first season playing any sort of fantasy manager with some friends, we just settled for the easiest one lol

Edit: Is there a dedicated Thread for fantasy discussion other than the RealGM own fantasy leagues? Dunno if should grind peoples nerves with my non existent knowledge from time to time in the match up threads

It's probably best to just discuss in this forum because there are a lot of fantasy players here, so you will likely get some opinions. There is a fantasy football forum but it's a ghost town and people haven't really posted there in years. I will make a thread in this forum and move your posts there so they won't get buried in this week 2 game thread.

As far as fan duel or draft kings, I don't really know. I have played one or both maybe a few times, but not often. I would probably stick with the one you are in if it is on the NFL.com website. They also have weekly ones on Yahoo and probably espn, but if you already have one, I'd just use the one you are using.

Pay attention to injuries too. A lot of players getting injured. I thought I read something about Le'Veon Bell being a bit banged up.
Cassalien
Sophomore

Post#7 » by Cassalien » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:50 am

DirtybirdGA wrote:How many players are in your league? I'd side with McCaffrey.

The league consists of about 20k people. Everyone can pick every team or player just a few rules to obey to.

Each week you pick a team for passing offense, rushing offense, defense and special teams. You can only pick a team for one of these categories once per week, so lets say the pats play the dolphins this week, you cant just go all out on the pats. In addition you can only pick each team 5 times/weeks per season.

Then you get to pick a QB, RB and WR. One will be labled as captain and give you double the pts but there is no restrictions. I went with Brady for QB and AB for WR since the dolphins are in tank mode and by the looks of it, I should have gone with the Pats RB as well lol RIP McCaffrey in yesterdays game lol
Cassalien
Sophomore

Post#8 » by Cassalien » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:54 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Cassalien wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

It's probably best to just discuss in this forum because there are a lot of fantasy players here, so you will likely get some opinions. There is a fantasy football forum but it's a ghost town and people haven't really posted there in years. I will make a thread in this forum and move your posts there so they won't get buried in this week 2 game thread.

As far as fan duel or draft kings, I don't really know. I have played one or both maybe a few times, but not often. I would probably stick with the one you are in if it is on the NFL.com website. They also have weekly ones on Yahoo and probably espn, but if you already have one, I'd just use the one you are using.

Pay attention to injuries too. A lot of players getting injured. I thought I read something about Le'Veon Bell being a bit banged up.

Oh yeah you bet I do pay attention to Injuries. The page itself has info as well as far as it goes to questionable or unable to play info but I tend to hit google up and do research on every player I elect.

Also Captain Hindsight says hello to McCaffrey lol he got only 53 scrimmage yards, no TDs or anything that drops good PTS. He got me a solid 4 pts :clap: dont get me wrong not trying to put blame on you, I was gonna roll with him most likely anyways :)
Cassalien
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Cassalien » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:54 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Cassalien wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Oh yeah you bet I do pay attention to Injuries. The page itself has info as well as far as it goes to questionable or unable to play info but I tend to hit google up and do research on every player I elect.

Also Captain Hindsight says hello to McCaffrey lol he got only 53 scrimmage yards, no TDs or anything that drops good PTS. He got me a solid 4 pts :clap: dont get me wrong not trying to put blame on you, I was gonna roll with him most likely anyways :)
Cassalien
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Cassalien » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:01 am

Mamba Mentality wrote:This is a no brainer for me. McCaffrey should light up that charmin soft Bucs defense.

I wish you were right about that prediction :P
gobears81
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#11 » by gobears81 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:08 am

I think this is a good week to not go top end on RB in DFS but use the difference on higher end WRs like Julio Jones. Too late now it sounds
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#12 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Cassalien wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:This is a no brainer for me. McCaffrey should light up that charmin soft Bucs defense.

Panthers offense as a whole is **** if Cam isn't gonna use his legs. Bucs sold out to stop CMC and challenged Cam to throw and he was erratic to say the least. Norv needs to get him moving to get this offense jumpstarted.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Cassalien wrote:

Panthers offense as a whole is **** if Cam isn't gonna use his legs. Bucs sold out to stop CMC and challenged Cam to throw and he was erratic to say the least. Norv needs to get him moving to get this offense jumpstarted.

It's amazing how bad he was off on throws last night. That late 3rd down across the middle (short pass) with a wide open field ahead was an awful miss along with many others.

I'm lucky I didn't draft him in any leagues this year. I had him in multiple leagues last year. Hopefully Goff does better than he did in week one though.....he was bad and I have him in 2 leagues....should have played Rivers over him. Lucky they are 2 qb leagues though so I had Mahomes in one. I also have Baker Mayfield and Kirk Cousins in that one. In the other one I have Goff, Rivers and Big Ben. I currently have him benched in that one. Big Ben has to bounce back....and if Kyler Murray carved up that Lions D than Rivers should.

Unfortunately I also have a bunch of Rams skill players. In one league I have Gurley, Cooks and Woods and in another I have Gurley and Woods and Malcolm Brown does all the scoring. Then I have Kupp in another league.

I hope all these Rams turn it up soon.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:51 pm

I have Watson and Goff in one of my keeper leagues and I'm really tempted to start Goff this week. His home/road splits are pretty crazy and the Saints secondary looks very beatable.
Cassalien
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Cassalien » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:47 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
Cassalien wrote:

It's amazing how bad he was off on throws last night. That late 3rd down across the middle (short pass) with a wide open field ahead was an awful miss along with many others.

I'm lucky I didn't draft him in any leagues this year. I had him in multiple leagues last year. Hopefully Goff does better than he did in week one though.....he was bad and I have him in 2 leagues....should have played Rivers over him. Lucky they are 2 qb leagues though so I had Mahomes in one. I also have Baker Mayfield and Kirk Cousins in that one. In the other one I have Goff, Rivers and Big Ben. I currently have him benched in that one. Big Ben has to bounce back....and if Kyler Murray carved up that Lions D than Rivers should.

Unfortunately I also have a bunch of Rams skill players. In one league I have Gurley, Cooks and Woods and in another I have Gurley and Woods and Malcolm Brown does all the scoring. Then I have Kupp in another league.

I hope all these Rams turn it up soon.

Was about to say, the Rams have been off to a weird and slow start in week 1. Might have to do with the trend of coaches sitting their starters for most of the pre season snaps. Even Aaron Donald is off to a slow start and he is a freaking beast. I hope for the sakes of your fantasy points that Goff gets his act together especially since signed that contract extension this summer and should have less things to worry about now.

Also going for Gurley is a big gamble considering he was on "load management" for the end of last season and the beginning of this season as well due to his chronic knee injury, at least according to these german tv experts lol

Mayfield seems like a gamble to me even tho he now has OBJ as a target and Kirk Cousins idk about that one. He had one or two solid seasons in Washington but I see the Vikings win games more due to their defense than their offense.

Obviously Mahomes seems like no brainer with that unique skill set he posses. He kinda reminds me of peak Steph Curry with the almost careless no look throws and his signature thorws plus the long range that he can throw the football with high accuracy.

Also too bad that I wasnt able to watch last nights game since it started at 2:20 am for me :'( but looking forward to some good games on Sunday including the first time that Brady will play with AB. Am I the only one that gets Randy Moss vibes here? lol even though Brady ain't as young anymore and he will have to prove that he is still one of the best in the business since father time can strike any time on him (really hope he destroys the tanking Dolphins for the sake of my fantasy team).
Cassalien
Sophomore

Post#16 » by Cassalien » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:I have Watson and Goff in one of my keeper leagues and I'm really tempted to start Goff this week. His home/road splits are pretty crazy and the Saints secondary looks very beatable.

So if I understand you correctly you assume that the Saints will lose this one in a shoot out?
Cassalien
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Cassalien » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:52 pm

gobears81 wrote:I think this is a good week to not go top end on RB in DFS but use the difference on higher end WRs like Julio Jones. Too late now it sounds

I mean Julio Jones is always a decent option, he is just that good IMO but is the Eagles defense that bad that Julio is gonna light them up?

And yes, unfortunately its too late to change the RB position now but what would a decent "not top end RB" be for you? As i said before RB is the position I have the least clue about.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Cassalien wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:I have Watson and Goff in one of my keeper leagues and I'm really tempted to start Goff this week. His home/road splits are pretty crazy and the Saints secondary looks very beatable.

So if I understand you correctly you assume that the Saints will lose this one in a shoot out?

I'll give a slight edge to the Rams since they're at home. Game has the highest O/U this week so there should be all kinds of fireworks, but really its a crap shoot this early in the season.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Where is the confidence level at with Terry McLaurin? I figure the Cowboys will go up early and force the Skins to play catchup which could mean plenty of targets for TM. Hard for me to put my trust in rookies in back to back weeks though...someone please convince me.
Cassalien
Sophomore

Post#20 » by Cassalien » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Cassalien wrote:

I'll give a slight edge to the Rams since they're at home. Game has the highest O/U this week so there should be all kinds of fireworks, but really its a crap shoot this early in the season.

Certainly hope for fireworks! Time for Goff to step it up for sure, especially since - as you said - his home splits are crazy (I assume that means way better than for away games)

Return to The General NFL Board