NFL Positions

Moderator: bwgood77

DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

NFL Positions 

Post#1 » by DCRYsing89 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:44 am

As a rookie on the NFL scene, I have been wondering about the positions
I have played numerous sports, but fully got into Basketball, Rubgy (Union and League) and Football (Soccer)

All I know so far (with some obvious names)

Abbreviations - Position - Role
QB - Quater Back - Does the throughing and playmaking for others, calls the plays, basically a Bball PG on steroids...
RB - Rushing Back/ Running Back - ???
WR - Wide Receiver - Makes wider runs?
TE - Tight End - ???
K - Kicker - Kicks
Defence... No idea...

Also what are some tell tale signs of what position someone might be/ physical tools/ appearance that are important to position.

If anyone could help me out understanding this sport that’d be great, thanks for your time,
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,463

Re: NFL Positions 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:41 pm

DCRYsing89 wrote:As a rookie on the NFL scene, I have been wondering about the positions
I have played numerous sports, but fully got into Basketball, Rubgy (Union and League) and Football (Soccer)

QB - Quater Back - Does the throughing and playmaking for others, calls the plays, basically a Bball PG on steroids...
TE - Tight End - ???
K - Kicker - Kicks
Defence... No idea...

Also what are some tell tale signs of what position someone might be/ physical tools/ appearance that are important to position.

If anyone could help me out understanding this sport that’d be great, thanks for your time,

RB is running back (sometimes called halfback). FB is fullback which is technically another RB, but a FB, lesser used these days, usually will block for the RB. He will sometimes be right behind the QB and the HB or main RB will be behind the FB and the FB will try and clear the path for the RB....he is a bigger guy usually. The Chargers utilize a FB a lot....Derek Watt (JJ Watt's brother) and he's a stud. He gets goal line carries sometimes.

WR - Wide receiver. All receivers are called this, except TEs but WRs can also be more of deep threats (which usually line up very wide on one side) or more of a slot receiver which is closer to the line and he typically will do shorter routes down or across the middle as more of a check down option (check down meaning the QB may want to first look at his deep wide receivers but if they are covered he will then check the slot guy) or you can sometimes consider a RB doing a short route for a pass a quick check down option...a last resort for the QB if the rush is coming and he's under pressure or about to be sacked.

TE is usually a bigger guy who lines up on the line (at the end) and either stays in and blocks or goes out for shorter passes.

Yes, K is the guy who kicks field goals, extra points (PATs or points after touchdowns) and kicks off to the opposition after scores or at beginning of half. Referred to also as PK (place kicker)

And then the Punter punts the ball on 4th down if they have failed to convert for a 1st down and fresh set of downs.

Other offensive positions are the lineman...the C (center) who hikes the ball, and on each side their is a Guard...used to be referred to as G but now referred to as OG (offensive guard) which makes no sense to me since there is no such thing as a DG or defensive guard....maybe not to confuse with a CB or something.

Then the guys on the outside of the guard are the Tackles. They refer to them as LT and RT (left or right). Left Tackle they sometimes refer to as the blind side Tackle but this would be for right handed QBs, since when they are looking to pass, their back is to the left, so the Left Tackle is guarding his blind side, or defenders that he might not see coming at him....so this is a very important position since the Defensive Ends on that side will typically be trying to get to the QB from his blind side.

Defense....I take it since you just mention them as a whole group you are thinking in terms of fantasy, but they have positional players too. I play in fantasy leagues that pick defensive players too....you pick offensive players at each position so I think it is kind of dumb to just pick an entire defense and have it encompass so much...I think they even include special teams in a fantasy defense score, which makes absolutely no sense.

I could go through the defensive positions but I won't for now since you didn't ask about that.
DCRYsing89
Starter

Post#3 » by DCRYsing89 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:As a rookie on the NFL scene, I have been wondering about the positions

TE - Tight End - ???
K - Kicker - Kicks
Defence... No idea...

RB is running back (sometimes called halfback). FB is fullback which is technically another RB, but a FB, lesser used these days, usually will block for the RB. He will sometimes be right behind the QB and the HB or main RB will be behind the FB and the FB will try and clear the path for the RB....he is a bigger guy usually. The Chargers utilize a FB a lot....Derek Watt (JJ Watt's brother) and he's a stud. He gets goal line carries sometimes.

WR - Wide receiver. All receivers are called this, except TEs but WRs can also be more of deep threats (which usually line up very wide on one side) or more of a slot receiver which is closer to the line and he typically will do shorter routes down or across the middle as more of a check down option (check down meaning the QB may want to first look at his deep wide receivers but if they are covered he will then check the slot guy) or you can sometimes consider a RB doing a short route for a pass a quick check down option...a last resort for the QB if the rush is coming and he's under pressure or about to be sacked.

TE is usually a bigger guy who lines up on the line (at the end) and either stays in and blocks or goes out for shorter passes.

Yes, K is the guy who kicks field goals, extra points (PATs or points after touchdowns) and kicks off to the opposition after scores or at beginning of half. Referred to also as PK (place kicker)

And then the Punter punts the ball on 4th down if they have failed to convert for a 1st down and fresh set of downs.

Other offensive positions are the lineman...the C (center) who hikes the ball, and on each side their is a Guard...used to be referred to as G but now referred to as OG (offensive guard) which makes no sense to me since there is no such thing as a DG or defensive guard....maybe not to confuse with a CB or something.

Then the guys on the outside of the guard are the Tackles. They refer to them as LT and RT (left or right). Left Tackle they sometimes refer to as the blind side Tackle but this would be for right handed QBs, since when they are looking to pass, their back is to the left, so the Left Tackle is guarding his blind side, or defenders that he might not see coming at him....so this is a very important position since the Defensive Ends on that side will typically be trying to get to the QB from his blind side.

Defense....I take it since you just mention them as a whole group you are thinking in terms of fantasy, but they have positional players too. I play in fantasy leagues that pick defensive players too....you pick offensive players at each position so I think it is kind of dumb to just pick an entire defense and have it encompass so much...I think they even include special teams in a fantasy defense score, which makes absolutely no sense.

I could go through the defensive positions but I won't for now since you didn't ask about that.

Thanks, yeah I would like to know the defence to, it’s just I have no idea about anything more than it’s there...
Like I know there’s a line that tries to sack the QB, then there’s a couple guys just hanging round trying to cover up the WRs and ‘catchers’...

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:45 pm

DCRYsing89 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

TE - Tight End - ???
K - Kicker - Kicks
Defence... No idea...

Thanks, yeah I would like to know the defence to, it’s just I have no idea about anything more than it’s there...
Like I know there’s a line that tries to sack the QB, then there’s a couple guys just hanging round trying to cover up the WRs and ‘catchers’...

Defensive line has defensive tackles in the middle and defensive ends on the end....a lot of the big name defensive linemen are defensive ends...they rush at the QB from the end...the interior line is typically a little more geared to stop the run, though of course they rush the QB on passing downs too.

Then you have linebackers behind them...they either also rush the QB or drop into coverage...maybe cover the TE.

then you have CBs that cover the wideouts and safeties who cover the middle of the field.

DCRYsing89
Starter

Post#5 » by DCRYsing89 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:51 am

So what decides what position someone is going to be,
QB would be throwing arm, awareness and vision.

What differentiates say a WR to a RB or even TE?
On top of that what differentiates a Safety to a Corner Back?

Thanks man for these answers, honestly didn’t know where to start to google this, and know if I am to win the fantasy league, and also get solid trash talk in I need at least a strong basis of knowledge.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 am

DCRYsing89 wrote:So what decides what position someone is going to be,

Thanks man for these answers, honestly didn’t know where to start to google this, and know if I am to win the fantasy league, and also get solid trash talk in I need at least a strong basis of knowledge.

The best college players at the positions get drafted to play that position. Occasionally QBs transition to WRs. Heck, Antonio Gates, one of the best TE's ever, was actually a basketball player in college but the Chargers thought he would make a great TE. But typically the best college players get drafted. Mostly from the best college programs because they are able to recruit the best prospects out of High School, but sometimes QBs (or any position) come from smaller schools. For example, Carson Wentz came from North Dakota State, and the Chargers just drafted a guy from North Dakota St who was great in college. Randy Moss, one of the best receivers ever went to Marshall.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#7 » by El Turco » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am

Moss was actually a top notch recruit and signed by florida state, he transferred to marshall later
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
DCRYsing89
Starter

Post#8 » by DCRYsing89 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:33 am

bwgood77 wrote:

The best college players at the positions get drafted to play that position. Occasionally QBs transition to WRs. Heck, Antonio Gates, one of the best TE's ever, was actually a basketball player in college but the Chargers thought he would make a great TE. But typically the best college players get drafted. Mostly from the best college programs because they are able to recruit the best prospects out of High School, but sometimes QBs (or any position) come from smaller schools. For example, Carson Wentz came from North Dakota State, and the Chargers just drafted a guy from North Dakota St who was great in college. Randy Moss, one of the best receivers ever went to Marshall.

So is there like certain physical characteristics that help in certain positions?

Like Metcalf why was everyone so crazy about him?

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#9 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:44 pm

DCRYsing89 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

So is there like certain physical characteristics that help in certain positions?

Like Metcalf why was everyone so crazy about him?

I don't' know about him in particular, but with most positions it is mainly instinct. But linemen are often like 6'5, 300-350 lbs, wrs can be very tall, and most are very fast sprinters, particularly the deep threat WRs. DBs and LBs it typically comes down to instincts and speed. QBs usually taller, but some are shorter like Wilson, Brees, and Kyler Murray. Sometimes teams go for great pocket passers and sometimes double threats...those who can run and scramble if need be. Over time, teams have gone more after those who can also run.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#10 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm

He's a genetic freak...

Ran a 4.33 (tied for 3rd fastest at this years combine), benched 225 27 times (tied for most among wr's), one of 5 wr's to to turn in a vertical jump of 40 or more inches (40.5), and finished fifth among receivers in the broad jump at 11-2. Hard not to be crazy over him.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:He's a genetic freak...

Ran a 4.33 (tied for 3rd fastest at this years combine), benched 225 27 times (tied for most among wr's), one of 5 wr's to to turn in a vertical jump of 40 or more inches (40.5), and finished fifth among receivers in the broad jump at 11-2. Hard not to be crazy over him.

He's looked pretty good so far. His limited route tree is still a little concerning. But, the guy is just so big & fast and a perfect fit in our offense. He's a great fit with Wilson because of his deep ball accuracy.

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Return to The General NFL Board