Is the HoF irrelevant?

Moderator: bwgood77

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Is the HoF irrelevant? 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:28 pm

So we had the staged moments of Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson supposedly learning on camera for the first time that they were getting into the HoF -- never mind that their loved ones were there on set, ready to give reactions for the TV cameras.

Apparently someone set up cameras to capture Drew Pearson's reaction.

Well Pearson didn't make it and he was angry and said he was heart broken to get snubbed again.

My question is, why do they care any more? Players of Pearson's generation didn't grow up with Internet or Youtube so I guess it's wired into their minds that HoF is the only way their careers would be remembered.

But even if he did get inducted, I would think far more Cowboys fans and NFL fans in general would learn about him and his career by Googling his numbers and watching highlights of him on Youtube.

Because the fact is, only a fraction of NFL fans will bother visiting Canton, OH.

Same would be true of the MLB and NBA HoFs too.

In fact, I would guess that only a fraction of fans bother to look that much at the HoF web sites.

Now, in the minds of older players, he would be joining a select group, a small percentage of all the men who've played, coached or had any other kind of involvement with football.

But again, most fans won't have this perspective about how few players make the HoF. If they bother to look up players from 40-50 years ago in the first place, they will find the stats and highlights. Maybe the only difference would be that there would frequently be this "Hall of Famer" label associated with those who are inducted.

I wonder if current players are as preoccupied with being in the HoF after their careers end or making as much money as they can while their bodies hold up.

Fans often have discussions about GOAT players, especially here on RealGM. Of course most GOATs are already in the HoF. But it's still an informal discussion. There are no official GOAT designations or medals or trophies or yellow jackets.

The point is, great players will be remembered regardless, because the web made the HoF less relevant, if not completely irrelevant.

Return to The General NFL Board