No if I'm Houston
7%

Total votes: 27

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,199

Re: QB Movement in the 2021 offseason 

Post#121 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:27 pm

skones wrote:If you can get a legitimate franchise QB, you do it. It's really that simple. You can be a team who searches far and wide for a guy, or you can just grab one out of the gate. Your first round picks down the line don't matter if you don't have a QB, and the draft is a total crapshoot to begin with. It would be stupid for Carolina to say, "that's too much" for the most important position in football. It would be stupid for Houston to deal him. They should do whatever they can to appease Watson and fix their mess.

You can't say they don't matter at all.

Watson wants out of Houston because the supporting cast isn't good enough.

Those first round picks are key to improving the roster.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#122 » by skones » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:37 pm

wco81 wrote:
skones wrote:If you can get a legitimate franchise QB, you do it. It's really that simple. You can be a team who searches far and wide for a guy, or you can just grab one out of the gate. Your first round picks down the line don't matter if you don't have a QB, and the draft is a total crapshoot to begin with. It would be stupid for Carolina to say, "that's too much" for the most important position in football. It would be stupid for Houston to deal him. They should do whatever they can to appease Watson and fix their mess.

You can't say they don't matter at all.

Watson wants out of Houston because the supporting cast isn't good enough.

Those first round picks are key to improving the roster.

Sure, but Watson is LITERALLY the key to that roster ya know? You want know what they'll do with the first round picks they get? They'll look for a QB, and if it fails in year one, they'll look for a QB again. That's how this works. QB purgatory is the worst place to be in the NFL. You limit your total upside. You've got like 10-12 teams year in year out that are in the mix from the start because of their QB and the rest are largely in flux looking for that guy.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#123 » by goober » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:24 pm

Crazy to see that the Seahawks/Wilson relationship is tearing apart as well. Lots of elite QBS available like never before!
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#124 » by jwise44 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,424

Post#125 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:06 pm

Goober wrote:Crazy to see that the Seahawks/Wilson relationship is tearing apart as well. Lots of elite QBS available like never before!

Read on Twitter

jwise44 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Unless Watson was headed this way, there's no way I'd consider moving him. End of story.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,359

Post#126 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:37 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Goober wrote:Crazy to see that the Seahawks/Wilson relationship is tearing apart as well. Lots of elite QBS available like never before!

Read on Twitter

jwise44 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Unless Watson was headed this way, there's no way I'd consider moving him. End of story.

Why is there so much talk about him trading him?
wco81
RealGM

Post#127 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:59 pm

He saw Brady have success on another team so maybe he thinks his supporting cast is holding him back from more rings?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#128 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:13 am

bwgood77 wrote:Why is there so much talk about him trading him?

He wanted more input. The team then fired the OC at the end of the year. Mainly because the play calling & offense went downhill the latter part of the season. Russ didn't perform all that well. Some of that was on the coaches, scheming. Not making adjustments throughout.

Most of the talk seems to be coming from his agent. He doesn't have the best reputation (Baseball guy). He has a history of leaking stuff to the media to gain leverage. He's done this the last two contract negotiations involving Russ (i.e. Rumors of him going to NY, before he signed his last deal).
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#129 » by skones » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:20 am

This is why Wilson is so insufferable and fake. "I did not request a trade, but here are teams that I'd like to go to if, like, you were to trade me." No, man, that's a trade request.
wco81
RealGM

Post#130 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:18 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

He wanted more input. The team then fired the OC at the end of the year. Mainly because the play calling & offense went downhill the latter part of the season. Russ didn't perform all that well. Some of that was on the coaches, scheming. Not making adjustments throughout.

Most of the talk seems to be coming from his agent. He doesn't have the best reputation (Baseball guy). He has a history of leaking stuff to the media to gain leverage. He's done this the last two contract negotiations involving Russ (i.e. Rumors of him going to NY, before he signed his last deal).

Only the coaching and scheme?

Or personnel too?

As elusive as he is, he's been sacked and hit a lot.

But who decides to break the pocket and try to hit on a big play? Was he trying to keep plays alive too often to try to throw it downfield instead of doing more timing patterns?

Seems most of the time he gets pressured is if there's a jailbreak situation, immediate pressure because some blocker whiffed or 2 or more rushers get right in his face and he has no room to escape.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#131 » by hermes » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:27 am

what is happening to the qbs this off-season? is this just going to be a giant game of musical chairs?

man i hope wilson doesn't go to the bears
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#132 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:06 am

wco81 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Only the coaching and scheme?

Or personnel too?

As elusive as he is, he's been sacked and hit a lot.

But who decides to break the pocket and try to hit on a big play? Was he trying to keep plays alive too often to try to throw it downfield instead of doing more timing patterns?

Seems most of the time he gets pressured is if there's a jailbreak situation, immediate pressure because some blocker whiffed or 2 or more rushers get right in his face and he has no room to escape.

The performance of the O-line declined in the 2nd half of the season when they had some injury issues. So yes, part of it was personnel. But overall, the line held up just fine. It actually graded out about league average. Better than past years.

Yes, Russ is responsible for a good number of those sacks. He hangs onto the ball a long time, 2nd longest last year among QB's (iirc). People like to lay the blame on the offensive line. But that's just a lazy take. The downside to his game is that he's always going to have a high sack rate. Part of that is due to the scheme that the team has employed over the years. But that also plays to his strengths, which is playing off-script & throwing the ball downfield.

They like to run the ball & use play action to attack vertically (Air Coryell offense). Both Metcalf & Lockett thrive in this type of offense. But when teams decided to take the deep ball away from Russ & the offense, the team (coaches) did a poor job of adjusting. Kind of like what we saw with the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. That's why the offense was so poor down the stretch. Stagnant for the most part. Thus, they've brought in a new OC.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,359

Post#133 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:19 am

They should trade him to the Cowboys for Dak just so I can watch the discussion between Jack and Jinx.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#134 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 am

bwgood77 wrote:They should trade him to the Cowboys for Dak just so I can watch the discussion between Jack and Jinx.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,233

Post#135 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:25 pm

I'm only here so I don't get fined.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#136 » by righterwriter » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:32 am

Really weird to see Russell Wilson being so publicly angry. The Seahawks have made him one of the highest paid players for many years and they've had a lot of success together. I can't imagine what they've done to make him so pissed off to start going scorched earth on them suddenly.

I think the only way he'd get traded is if the Seahawks could get another top-QB in there and/or an heir apparent. Not sure who is available on the trade market now, so they'd likely be stuck with a Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gardner Minshew or Sam Darnold type. I think they'd want a top-10 pick to get one of the top-4 QBs in this draft, but which team would deal out of that to get Wilson? The only one I can think of is Carolina, who might be interested if their pursuit of Deshaun Watson comes up short.

The #9 and a 2021 1st rd pick, plus maybe a couple extra non-1st rd picks could get it done. And now that I think about it, Bridgewater could be a good placeholder QB in front of whomever they pick at #9 (I'd guess Trey Lance). I'm not sure Wilson wants to go to Carolina, though.

Otherwise, I don't see a trade happening to one of the teams Russell has apparently listed:

Chicago: only has the #20 pick and no QB to send back to Seattle
Dallas: Dak's team
Saints: #28 pick and also completely handcuffed by the salary cap already
Raiders: Maybe could work if a Carr + #17 pick was acceptable for Seattle. I'm not sure how much the Hawks like that, even though Carr is underrated and underappreciated, in my opinion.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#137 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:37 am

righterwriter wrote:Really weird to see Russell Wilson being so publicly angry. The Seahawks have made him one of the highest paid players for many years and they've had a lot of success together. I can't imagine what they've done to make him so pissed off to start going scorched earth on them suddenly.

I think the only way he'd get traded is if the Seahawks could get another top-QB in there and/or an heir apparent. Not sure who is available on the trade market now, so they'd likely be stuck with a Ryan Fitzpatrick, Gardner Minshew or Sam Darnold type. I think they'd want a top-10 pick to get one of the top-4 QBs in this draft, but which team would deal out of that to get Wilson? The only one I can think of is Carolina, who might be interested if their pursuit of Deshaun Watson comes up short.

The #9 and a 2021 1st rd pick, plus maybe a couple extra non-1st rd picks could get it done. And now that I think about it, Bridgewater could be a good placeholder QB in front of whomever they pick at #9 (I'd guess Trey Lance). I'm not sure Wilson wants to go to Carolina, though.

Otherwise, I don't see a trade happening to one of the teams Russell has apparently listed:

Raiders: Maybe could work if a Carr + #17 pick was acceptable for Seattle. I'm not sure how much the Hawks like that, even though Carr is underrated and underappreciated, in my opinion.

The only logical move would be a three-team trade. Russ goes to New Orleans/Vegas/?, Watson to Seattle, and Houston gets a load of picks.

There is no way the Hawks would agree to move him this off-season, while not receiving a QB in return. Not with his cap hit. Carroll is 70 years old, he's not interested in a rebuild.

Apparently his agent, who has been leaking this to the media, does not have the best relationship with management. His only Football client is Wilson. His other clients are tied to Baseball. So he doesn't have the best reputation.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#138 » by righterwriter » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:56 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
righterwriter wrote:Really weird to see Russell Wilson being so publicly angry. The Seahawks have made him one of the highest paid players for many years and they've had a lot of success together. I can't imagine what they've done to make him so pissed off to start going scorched earth on them suddenly.

The only logical move would be a three-team trade. Russ goes to New Orleans/Oakland/?, Watson to Seattle, and Houston gets a load of picks.

There is no way the Hawks would agree to move him this off-season, while not receiving a stud QB in return. Not with his cap hit. Carroll is 70 years old, he's not interested in a rebuild.

As a Niners fan that would break my heart to see Watson end up playing in Seattle for the next 10+ years.

I think Oakland is the only team that could manage to be in the three-team trade (without looking through the confusing cap situation). Maybe it could be:

SEA trades: Wilson, three first round picks (none this year, which hurts their case), and their 2021 2nd rd pick (#56)
SEA gets: Deshaun Watson

LV trades: Derek Carr, #17, and a future 1st rd pick
LV gets: Russell Wilson

HOU trades: Deshaun Watson
HOU gets: Derek Carr, #17 (from LV), a future 1st (from LV) three future 1st rd picks from SEA, and the #56 pick (via SEA)

That's four 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick for Watson, plus a good quality starting QB.

The problem is that Houston doesn't have their own 1st or 2nd rd pick this year, so the real addition of top talent for the 2021 season is going to be an issue. If you are the GM/Front office in Houston who is under so much scrutiny, you need to something special on the field next year or else you will likely be out of a job and only adding pick #17 and #56 in this deal is pretty disappointing, even if your draft situation is great in the future.

I think they want to be able to add a stud receiver and an impact defensive player via the draft. So the position of these picks + bringing in Derek Carr might not be enough. The Carolina deal likely would appeal to them more.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#139 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:04 am

righterwriter wrote:
Maybe it could be:

SEA trades: Wilson, three first round picks (none this year, which hurts their case), and their 2021 2nd rd pick (#56)

HOU gets: Derek Carr, #17 (from LV), a future 1st (from LV) three future 1st rd picks from SEA, and the #56 pick (via SEA)

That's four 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick for Watson, plus a good quality starting QB.

The problem is that Houston doesn't have their own 1st or 2nd rd pick this year, so the real addition of top talent for the 2021 season is going to be an issue. If you are the GM/Front office in Houston who is under so much scrutiny, you need to something special on the field next year or else you will likely be out of a job and only adding pick #17 and #56 in this deal is pretty disappointing, even if your draft situation is great in the future.

I think they want to be able to add a stud receiver and an impact defensive player via the draft. So the position of these picks + bringing in Derek Carr might not be enough. The Carolina deal likely would appeal to them more.

Lol you got it backwards, bud!

Vegas (Raiders) will be sending the picks (to Houston). :wink:
righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#140 » by righterwriter » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:09 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
Maybe it could be:

Lol you got it backwards, bud!

Vegas (Raiders) are the one's giving up the picks here. :wink:

Of course! Watson and Wilson are pretty much equal value (if we can somehow create a machine that erases seven years of wear and tear off of Russ) ;)

Return to The General NFL Board