Aaron Rodgers

Moderator: bwgood77

Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Aaron Rodgers 

Post#1 » by Lexluthor » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:42 am

Does anyone think this guy is overrated by the media. He has only won one Superbowl and that was over a decade ago.And he has not won a conference championship since 2010. Why does the media put him in the goat conversation ?
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Re: Aaron Rodgers 

Post#2 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:02 am

No he is properly rated. He is one of the greatest QBs of this generation and this game has seen. Green Bay just doesn't do as great of a job putting up a better team around him then other teams does. Brady had 3 INTs in this game and still won. Green Bay selecting a QB with their first pick should tell you alot.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#3 » by therealbig3 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:37 am

Papi_swav wrote:No he is properly rated. He is one of the greatest QBs of this generation and this game has seen. Green Bay just doesn't do as great of a job putting up a better team around him then other teams does. Brady had 3 INTs in this game and still won. Green Bay selecting a QB with their first pick should tell you alot.

I mean, that's kind of an argument against Rodgers too though, right? How do you really blame the team around him when his defense DID pick off Brady 3 times? He turned those 3 TOs into 6 points. That's not going to get it done.

With that said, I agree, he's one of the greatest ever. But he's not really blameless for today's game, he couldn't capitalize on TB's mistakes at all.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#4 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:21 pm

2010 Aaron Rodgers was probably the most impressive QB play I've ever in terms of being able to extend plays and make unbelievable throws. What seems to get him some times seems to be holding on to the ball too long and not making quick decisions, although his ability to extend plays is probably a part of that. He makes a lot of big plays holding on to the ball.
I don't think he's as good as he used to be, but he's still really good.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:22 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:No he is properly rated. He is one of the greatest QBs of this generation and this game has seen. Green Bay just doesn't do as great of a job putting up a better team around him then other teams does. Brady had 3 INTs in this game and still won. Green Bay selecting a QB with their first pick should tell you alot.

I mean, that's kind of an argument against Rodgers too though, right? How do you really blame the team around him when his defense DID pick off Brady 3 times? He turned those 3 TOs into 6 points. That's not going to get it done.

With that said, I agree, he's one of the greatest ever. But he's not really blameless for today's game, he couldn't capitalize on TB's mistakes at all.

Exactly. Classic choke job by Aaron Rodgers. No way around it.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,559

Post#6 » by Harry Garris » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:42 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Exactly. Classic choke job by Aaron Rodgers. No way around it.

Aaron Rodgers played pretty well. He was sacked 4 times and pressured constantly and still managed to outplay Tom Brady, who had a completely empty pocket and open receivers all game.

There's no doubt that Rodgers could have done more, but just saying that the QB on the winning team is a clutch god and the QB on the losing team choked is such a lazy and unintelligent way to look at football. Don't stoop to the level of analysis of the screaming talking heads on ESPN. The rest of us are making fun of those guys for how dumb they sound, not trying to be them.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:36 pm

I don't even watch ESPN. I watched the game. Aaron Rodgers made some bad decisions in this game. Despite playing well at times, he had some bad throws for one thing. he was too much of a pussy to tuck the ball and run with it in which I thought he would have scored. Then the NFL MVP couldn't do a thing with the #1 offense after the Packers got him two more INT's of Brady. I lost a lot of respect for Rodgers yesterday. All that incredible talent with not much to show for it. Kinda sad really.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#8 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:03 pm

Lexluthor wrote:Does anyone think this guy is overrated by the media. He has only won one Superbowl and that was over a decade ago.And he has not won a conference championship since 2010. Why does the media put him in the goat conversation ?

Largely, Rodgers career is best described as a great QB who carried teams with bad defenses into the playoffs where he was beaten by more complete teams with good defenses.

The one time Rodgers had a genuinely good defense, he won the SB.

The 2 times he had decent defenses (‘21 and ‘14) he lost close games to teams with really good defenses. BUT it’s possible to nitpick his performance in both games.

Im not saying he has an issue in big games, but if he does, I wonder if its in how he *calls* big games, more so than his actual performance—like, did we abandon the run too readily yesterday? And if so, is that LaFleur, Rodgers, or both? Tampas tough to run on, but all year we’ve had success precisely bcuz we ran the ball (and off that comes playaction). Idk.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#9 » by dr3am » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:47 pm

Exactly bro & why we don’t make a thread about Russell Wilson when he loses just like how they did with Aaron Rodgers? At least Rodgers gets to the championship game with 1 receiver compared to Wilson having Lockett & Metcalf.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#10 » by hermes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:11 pm

all i know is that its really sucked having to go against him twice a year for over a decade
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#11 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm

therealbig3 wrote:

Fair point but we all know Green Bay doesn't have that great of a OL. Think of this, how much better do you think Rodgers would play if he had a trio of Godwin, Mike Evans and Antonio Brown? you could even throw Scotty Miller in there instead of just looking for Adams all game. The point is Arod is definitely not overrated. Take him off that team and it's no way GB gets even that far.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#12 » by El Turco » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:38 pm

Harry Garris wrote:Don't stoop to the level of analysis of the screaming talking heads on ESPN. The rest of us are making fun of those guys for how dumb they sound, not trying to be them.

you are asking way too much from him lol

brady probably would have won the game if aaron threw 3 picks. no doubt he is immensely talented and no doubt packers have done a **** job building around him but he is not as good as some of the other greats when it comes to taking advantage of opportunities and finishing the job.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#13 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:08 am

I would probably go Manning over him all time. No shame in being like the 4th or 5th best QB ever or whatever.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#14 » by RaoulDuke79 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:00 am

Spoiler:
thomchatt3rton wrote:Largely, Rodgers career is best described as a great QB who carried teams with bad defenses into the playoffs where he was beaten by more complete teams with good defenses.

The 2 times he had decent defenses (‘21 and ‘14) he lost close games to teams with really good defenses. BUT it’s possible to nitpick his performance in both games.

Im not saying he has an issue in big games, but if he does, I wonder if its in how he *calls* big games, more so than his actual performance—like, did we abandon the run too readily yesterday? And if so, is that LaFleur, Rodgers, or both? Tampas tough to run on, but all year we’ve had success precisely bcuz we ran the ball (and off that comes playaction). Idk.

Fair and valid points.

Also, Van Hemmersly is a brilliant billiard player who is not fond of dissin' the homies...and he teaches science, too!
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#15 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:40 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:
Spoiler:
thomchatt3rton wrote:Largely, Rodgers career is best described as a great QB who carried teams with bad defenses into the playoffs where he was beaten by more complete teams with good defenses.

Fair and valid points.

Also, Van Hemmersly is a brilliant billiard player who is not fond of dissin' the homies...and he teaches science, too!

He teaches the only way he knows how....WITH A POOL TABLE!

Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#16 » by Lexluthor » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:43 pm

To me he is this generations Steve Young .
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#17 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:53 pm

Part of it is that he got the biggest QB contracts when it was time to extend him. That is why the Packers struggled to build up a great supporting cast.

They also had the philosophy of not paying too much for other players, letting them walk than giving top market contracts for anyone other than Rodgers.

It’s still the case that most SB winners didn’t have rosters with one or two players, usually QBs, taking up a certain percentage of the cap.

Brady has gone to all those SBs and won those rings consistently taking well below his market value. He’s earning $25 million this year compared to how much Rodgers is getting?

I’ve heard that even with 3 years left on his deal this might be a ploy to get a renegotiated deal, either more money and/or more years.
pagal
Starter
And1: 2,078

Post#18 » by pagal » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:58 pm

It is really a crime what the Packers have done to this guy. Garbage coaches, almost no skills players drafted or signed as FA.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#19 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:17 pm

How did they get Davante Adams?

Or they let players like Greg Jennings walk. Also that guy who was a great slot WR, he eventually walked.

They also had a stud TE a few years back but he got injured.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#20 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:12 pm

wco81 wrote:

Part of it is that he got the biggest QB contracts when it was time to extend him. That is why the Packers struggled to build up a great supporting cast.

They also had the philosophy of not paying too much for other players, letting them walk than giving top market contracts for anyone other than Rodgers.

It’s still the case that most SB winners didn’t have rosters with one or two players, usually QBs, taking up a certain percentage of the cap.

Brady has gone to all those SBs and won those rings consistently taking well below his market value. He’s earning $25 million this year compared to how much Rodgers is getting?

I’ve heard that even with 3 years left on his deal this might be a ploy to get a renegotiated deal, either more money and/or more years.

You are partially right but I don't buy that, just say GB doesn't draft well or sign good enough FA. Actually they signed Zadarius Smith to a big contract and he performed well.

Rodgers had a cap hit of 20M in 2018, 29M in 2019 and then 21M in 2020. That is underpaid to me with the quality of QB he is. You can definitely build a great team with your QB making that much. But now in 2021 his cap hit balloons to 37M , now that is a argument to make at that number and with the cap supposedly going down this year.

Drafting a QB in the first round should tell you alot bro. They are in win now mode so why not get Rodgers as much weapons as possible? Or build a better defense.

Return to The General NFL Board