2022 Offseason moves

Moderator: bwgood77

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,242

2022 Offseason moves 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:33 pm

The big ones are obviously what happens with Rodgers and Brady.

Some experts have opined that if Rodgers get to the Broncos, that turns them into contenders, but in the AFC West, it may be difficult to dethrone the Chiefs unless they have cap problems and they have to drop key starters.

Packers want Rodgers to stay and supposedly they've reduced a lot of the acrimony that Rodgers expressed about the front office, particularly the GM.

But they face big cap challenges, with players like Adams up for big contracts. Rodgers may demand Packers retain Adams and they could with the franchise tag, which would screw over Adams if he got injured before he gets something in the range of $50 million guaranteed contract.

Rodgers is a free agent but there's talk that Packers would still get compensation. Probably because they could franchise tag him? Or NFL free agency just is slanted against players.

Beyond that, several teams are facing QB questions, the Browns, the Colts, Vikings, just off the top of my head. Mayfield is up for a big contract with the team having a disappointing season. Colts have WEntz under contract next year but he isn't going to lead them where they want, as Reich says in Hard Knocks.

I think Cousins' contract is up as well.

Pittsburgh doesn't have a heir apparent for Big Ben. Giants have an unsettled QB situation. Philly has a starting QB but is he good enough? Washington also without a franchise QB.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,152

Re: 2022 Offseason moves 

Post#2 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:54 pm

I think the biggest names in Dallas that could be cut are Demarcus Lawrence and Amari Cooper. Although outside chance Tyron Smith is released.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,565

Post#3 » by hermes » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:03 am

wco81 wrote:
I think Cousins' contract is up as well.

no, he has another year
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,060

Post#4 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:03 am

Aaron Rodgers is not a free agent, he is under contract with the GB Packers, with a $46.44 million cap hit and a $26.85 million dead cap hit, if cut.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,437

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:28 pm

Rodgers will end up in Denver.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#6 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:54 pm

No.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:54 pm

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:No.

Yes.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#8 » by Pharmcat » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:09 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Rodgers will end up in Denver.

Why go to that division?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#9 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:43 am

Pharmcat wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Rodgers will end up in Denver.

Why go to that division?

His OC in GB was just hired. Meanwhile, he & his gf have ties to Boulder. Denver is his preferred choice. They have the pieces & are just in need of a QB. Regardless of who is in that division.
hermes
RealGM

Post#10 » by hermes » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:54 am

rodgers would be crazy to leave the north, it would be crazy wide open with him gone

i mean he should, for my sake, but it would be wild
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#11 » by goober » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:37 pm

I still think Rodgers should be a Niner.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:48 pm

goober wrote:I still think Rodgers should be a Niner.

How so? They just invested aton in Lance & don't have the draft capital to make it work. Green Bay has Love. So a swap of Lance wouldn't work on their end. They could've had him if they had just been patient & not gone all in on Lance. :wink:
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#13 » by righterwriter » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:49 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

How so? They just invested aton in Lance & don't have the draft capital to make it work. Green Bay has Love. So a swap of Lance wouldn't work on their end. They could've had him if they had just been patient & not gone all in on Lance. :wink:

The Niners need to resign Deebo and Bosa, among many other guys that make their roster go. That means Lance's $8.5M/yr rookie contract salary, which is $18M/yr less than Jimmy and any top-15 QB, is a huge asset.

I think Lance right now is better than Jimmy G., but with locker room considerations and keeping their game plan in place that has got them here, they're sticking with Jimmy. With that in mind, swap in Lance who can do a heck of a lot more in terms of running, stretching the field, and extending plays, and give him an entire offseason to work with his coaches and improve his mechanics, and you've got a QB that will make the Niners better next year.

Rodgers or Brady would've been fun, but I think the Niners are quite happy with Lance as their guy on a cheap deal and being able to keep all their blue chippers.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#14 » by righterwriter » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:00 am

What do you guys think is Jimmy G's value in a trade? The way I see him is he's probably slightly above average, but he's a pretty amazing leader and a guy who has shown he's cool with a team drafting a QB to wait in the shadows while Jimmy helps the team win.

He's got one more year on his contact at $26.5M, so you need a team with cap space and who wants to follow that plan of giving Jimmy the reins for a year-- maybe two-- and pick their young guy this draft to come along slowly.

Teams that I think could qualify:

- Washington
- Pittsburgh
- Cleveland (if they let Baker walk)
- New Orleans (not sure about the cap situation though)
- Carolina
- Miami
- Houston (depending on what their new coach thinks of Mills)

Deshaun Watson will go to one of these teams, but after him the QB free agent market is ice cold. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/all/

Assuming there's some QB musical chairs where Baker goes somewhere and Tua gets traded somewhere, that leaves many teams in dire need of a good QB to keep things together for next year, and Jimmy is a pretty perfect guy to bring in with his shine from this season and his manageable contract (even if his QB play is average to above average).

My guess is there's a bit of a bidding war and Jimmy eventually gets traded for a 2nd round pick somewhere between the combine and the draft.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,242

Post#15 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:46 pm

So Brady is retiring. I heard the Bucs may have a problem with the salary cap, as is the case with the Packers.

Bronk probably wasn't coming back and Godwin may not return from injury until well into next season.

Hmm, AFC South is wide open. Maybe Payton would have not retired either if he knew Brady was retiring.

NFC will be wide open as well, while AFC is shaping up to have a lot of good young QBs.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#16 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:50 pm

righterwriter wrote:What do you guys think is Jimmy G's value in a trade? The way I see him is he's probably slightly above average, but he's a pretty amazing leader and a guy who has shown he's cool with a team drafting a QB to wait in the shadows while Jimmy helps the team win.

He's got one more year on his contact at $26.5M, so you need a team with cap space and who wants to follow that plan of giving Jimmy the reins for a year-- maybe two-- and pick their young guy this draft to come along slowly.

Teams that I think could qualify:

- Washington
- Pittsburgh
- Cleveland (if they let Baker walk)
- New Orleans (not sure about the cap situation though)
- Carolina
- Miami
- Houston (depending on what their new coach thinks of Mills)

Deshaun Watson will go to one of these teams, but after him the QB free agent market is ice cold. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/all/

Assuming there's some QB musical chairs where Baker goes somewhere and Tua gets traded somewhere, that leaves many teams in dire need of a good QB to keep things together for next year, and Jimmy is a pretty perfect guy to bring in with his shine from this season and his manageable contract (even if his QB play is average to above average).

My guess is there's a bit of a bidding war and Jimmy eventually gets traded for a 2nd round pick somewhere between the combine and the draft.

The Colts gave up a 1st and 3rd for Wentz
Darnold got a 2nd, 4th and 6th

I've seen a lot speculation that Jimmy will pull a 1st. It sounds crazy, but when you see what these 2 guys went for.. Is it?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#17 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:06 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:I've seen a lot speculation that Jimmy will pull a 1st. It sounds crazy, but when you see what these 2 guys went for.. Is it?

Yes.
hermes
RealGM

Post#18 » by hermes » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:19 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

lance is a promising qb prospect on a rookie deal, you could probably send him to a half dozen other teams fairly easily
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:38 pm

hermes wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

lance is a promising qb prospect on a rookie deal, you could probably send him to a half dozen other teams fairly easily

If the Niners can get Rodgers they will. You don't go to a SB and then two years later get to the AFC Championship (and maybe SB) and pass on a chance at Rodgers to go with your newly drafted QB. If you are a contender you go for it.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#20 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:I've seen a lot speculation that Jimmy will pull a 1st. It sounds crazy, but when you see what these 2 guys went for.. Is it?

Yes.

So was the Niners making the NFC championship just a few weeks ago. :wink:

I look forward to us revisiting this in a few months.

I'm betting Jimmy will fetch a 1st from a team like Pitt. Will it be a smart move, probably not. But he will get it anyways.

Return to The General NFL Board