OT: Browns give Deshaun Watson highest paid guaranteed contract in history

Moderator: bwgood77

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: OT: Browns give Deshaun Watson highest paid guaranteed contract in history 

Post#41 » by TheNewEra » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:53 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:As a Browns fan:
-- I think the contract is fine. It's an overpay but he's young and this is far and away the most important position. If it makes you a contender, and it probably does, it's worth it.
-- that draft compensation is STEEP though. Yikes.
-- I wanna be hyped about this but the dude seems like a scumbag and now I'm actually less interested in this season than I would have been otherwise. I've a daughter. How the hell can I support this?
It's gross AF tbh.

For every person that uses the I have a daughter/sister/mother tag line to make a point just imagine this is your son/brother/father and it’s a second chance opportunity after charges were dropped. For anything not dropped then hope it does and he learned from his mistakes
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#42 » by mademan » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:54 pm

man there's like 6 Superbowl contenders in the AFC, gotdamn
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Post#43 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:56 pm

Dominater wrote:
dlts20 wrote:
Dominater wrote:It's a crazy stupid deal......because he's not the best QB. Not by a long shot. PLUS 3 1st round picks? Talk about double dipping. Only guy that's worth all that is Pat Mahomes

You are out your mind. Watson is a stud and only 26. People are even questioning maholmes after his flame out this post season and Watson never had a roster like the chiefs

One of the last games he played , he got blown out against the Bears and Mitch Trubisky. I'm a Bears fan. That Bears team was God awful on both sides of the Field. And Watson put up 7 points against that. I was not impressed at all. That would never happen to Mahomes or Rodgers

Chiefs scored 3 on the titans this year lmao
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,484

Post#44 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:56 pm

dlts20 wrote:
Dominater wrote:It's a crazy stupid deal......because he's not the best QB. Not by a long shot. PLUS 3 1st round picks? Talk about double dipping. Only guy that's worth all that is Pat Mahomes

You are out your mind. Watson is a stud and only 26. People are even questioning maholmes after his flame out this post season and Watson never had a roster like the chiefs

Legit Watson is so good and once people see him play again they will see why the Browns made this move
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,612

Post#45 » by Rainwater » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:59 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
dlts20 wrote:All criminal charges were dropped and in a lot of these cases, once one or two get involved, it's a snowball effect for a money grab

Can you name 5 people who had 10+ people make claims against them? Watson has 22. Possible but unlikely these were all made up.

With the age of Metoo there are plenty of guys with more than 10 accusations. Trump had 26, Andrew Cuomo had 11, Bill Clinton had 10 or so (all never convicted) and we all know about Weinstein's, R. Kelly's and Cosby' many cases (all convicted,). Hell, Brett Kavanaugh had 4,500 tips come to the FBI as he was nominated for the supreme court.

When it comes to sexual assault cases with HIGH PROFILE CELEBRITIES such as Watson there must be an in-between, we must believe in all women but also believe in due process. Other than that I try to keep my mouth shut on the subject because their situations are more complex than the avg person especially since I wasn't there and have no clue what happened. While supporting the women who have been assaulted and supporting their claims because sexual assaults are under reported, it must also be understood a lot of high profile celebrities are also seen as targets due to their wealth and power and are subject to lawsuits of all kinds. The Brett Kavanaugh case will always stick out to me as an example because I was amazed how 4,500 tips just appear as he is being nominated for the supreme court.

So to me it best we separate Watson the football player from Watson the person.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#46 » by mattao313 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:00 am

I'm not a big football guy but Deshaun Watson is a beast imo QB is so important in football I understand taking this risk I would too. Mayfield is overrated.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,553

Post#47 » by Dominator83 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:07 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
Dominater wrote:
dlts20 wrote:You are out your mind. Watson is a stud and only 26. People are even questioning maholmes after his flame out this post season and Watson never had a roster like the chiefs

One of the last games he played , he got blown out against the Bears and Mitch Trubisky. I'm a Bears fan. That Bears team was God awful on both sides of the Field. And Watson put up 7 points against that. I was not impressed at all. That would never happen to Mahomes or Rodgers

Chiefs scored 3 on the titans this year lmao

The Titans were a #1 seed behind a very good defense. Not even a comparison to the hapless Bears.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#48 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:10 am

Heard on the radio that this was the first time a team traded 3 FRPs while getting none in return since the Herschel Walker trade from Dallas to Minnesota. Hope for Browns fans this turns out better than it did for the Vikings lol

That said, I do think it could end up being a great trade for Cleveland. The QB position is so superpowered and all-important in the NFL today, so it's really apples and oranges to compare it to trading for a RB in the 90s
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#49 » by mademan » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:18 am

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:Heard on the radio that this was the first time a team traded 3 FRPs while getting none in return since the Herschel Walker trade from Dallas to Minnesota. Hope for Browns fans this turns out better than it did for the Vikings lol

That said, I do think it could end up being a great trade for Cleveland. The QB position is so superpowered and all-important in the NFL today, so it's really apples and oranges to compare it to trading for a RB in the 90s

They should get some assets back for Baker. Maybe a 1st, more likely 2 2nd rounders...should make it a little better, but thats the cost of a franchise QB, which Watson is and Baker isnt. He's 26; Cleveland is looking to keep him for like a decade
pro24
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#50 » by pro24 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:21 am

My guess is the Browns get one 2nd rounder for Baker.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,265

Post#51 » by Frank Dux » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:26 am

The NFL sure loves to empower predators.
SupaManu
Junior
And1: 986

Post#52 » by SupaManu » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:34 am

Balls Deep wrote:Football is literally ran like a plantation. Glad to see a player get a big, fully guaranteed contract. A black player at that.

:noway:
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#53 » by Flash4thewin » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:38 am

Shock Defeat wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:Watson has played 5 seasons in the NFL

Three of those seasons his team won only 4 games.

As soon as his team started struggling he literally quit on the team. They couldn't trade him because teams were concerned he was going to prison for raping women. Now he gets rewarded with a fully guarented contract.

People respond to incentives. Watson has learned he can do whatever he wants without getting punished. There's no financial reward for trying or improving his game. If he doesnt like the direction the teams going he can quit again and the team has to pay him.

And best of all? Yesterday we were his fourth choice out of four teams. And the Baker **** broke so we made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

He isn't in Cleveland to win or succeed. He's here because he got the most ridiculous contract in NFL history.

Yep. Watson chose financial windfall over winning. Saints would have been the best choice for winning. This just tells me who watson is, he’s about the money above everything else.

Duh, its always about the money. Honestly with how contracts are not guaranteed, he made the best choice for himself and his progeny. I support his decision to take the guaranteed cash every time.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,489

Post#54 » by azcatz11 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:41 am

Flash4thewin wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:Watson has played 5 seasons in the NFL

Three of those seasons his team won only 4 games.

As soon as his team started struggling he literally quit on the team. They couldn't trade him because teams were concerned he was going to prison for raping women. Now he gets rewarded with a fully guarented contract.

People respond to incentives. Watson has learned he can do whatever he wants without getting punished. There's no financial reward for trying or improving his game. If he doesnt like the direction the teams going he can quit again and the team has to pay him.

And best of all? Yesterday we were his fourth choice out of four teams. And the Baker **** broke so we made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

He isn't in Cleveland to win or succeed. He's here because he got the most ridiculous contract in NFL history.

Yep. Watson chose financial windfall over winning. Saints would have been the best choice for winning. This just tells me who watson is, he’s about the money above everything else.

Duh, its always about the money. Honestly with how contracts are not guaranteed, he made the best choice for himself and his progeny. I support his decision to take the guaranteed cash every time.

It was never about the money for Tom Brady.
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#55 » by Jables » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:25 am

Frank Dux wrote:The NFL sure loves to empower predators.

NBA doesn't really have **** to say after 2003. And he admitted it and was forced to apologise for anyone saying the case was dropped.

It's not an NFL problem, it's a human problem at the moment. Predators in positions of power are enabled, in politics, sport, corporations, wherever.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#56 » by LivingLegend » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:36 am

Frank Dux wrote:The NFL sure loves to empower predators.

Bro we just had a President 2 years ago that had 26 sexual assault allegations
bradybunch
Rookie
And1: 1,475

Post#57 » by bradybunch » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:42 am

They'll regret that.

And I don't care about off the field accusations.

They'll regret it on the field.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#58 » by Flash4thewin » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:44 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Flash4thewin wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Yep. Watson chose financial windfall over winning. Saints would have been the best choice for winning. This just tells me who watson is, he’s about the money above everything else.

It was never about the money for Tom Brady.

Well yeah thats the exception, how many people are married to a super model with a net worth over 400 million dollars?
Fantastik_Goat
Senior
And1: 576

Post#59 » by Fantastik_Goat » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:58 am

This Cancel Culture has got me all Bugaboo!
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,553

Post#60 » by Dominator83 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:56 am

bradybunch wrote:They'll regret that.

And I don't care about off the field accusations.

They'll regret it on the field.

My thoughts exactly. All my posts in this thread are speaking solely from an on the field perspective. You don't give a guy a record $$ contract AND fork over 3 1st round picks in one swoop unless your getting A GOAT candidate in return. And Watson is no GOAT candidate off field stuff not even withstanding. He's good. He's better than Baker. But again for that price and draft compensation I want an all timer
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !

Return to The General NFL Board