NCAA Football 08!! *Reviews are in!!

Moderator: bwgood77

Monkeyfeng06
Banned User
And1: 6

NCAA Football 08!! *Reviews are in!! 

Post#1 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:16 pm

NCAA FOOTBALL '08

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/ncaafootball08/index.html?tag=result;title;1

http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1702/NCAA-Football-08/

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/890/890431.html

Like many EA Sports titles that make the leap, the first next-gen NCAA Football title felt like it was missing something. Sure, it was a great game on its own, but when compared to the current-gen version, it just didn
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#2 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:48 am

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/06/10/recruiting-in-ncaa-08-football/

an awesome video that shows off the new recruitment tool in ncaa football 08.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#3 » by Icness » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:54 am

This is my year to get NCAA and I'm looking forward to it. I alternate between NCAA and Madden from year to year; I get too addicted to have it be worthwhile to buy both in the same year.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#4 » by studcrackers » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:43 am

thanks for the read monkeyfeng, it looks incredible and since i didnt get a football game last year i will definitely be getting this it looks to good to pass up.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
memgrizzlies
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by memgrizzlies » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:54 am

I WOULD BUY THIS GAME IF VINCE YOUNG WAS ON THE COVER
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#6 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:04 am

memgrizzlies wrote:I WOULD BUY THIS GAME IF VINCE YOUNG WAS ON THE COVER

yeah... vince young just finished his first year in nfl....
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#7 » by High 5 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:54 am

Is the Campus Legend mode like Superstar mode as far as the camera angle goes? Or is just the regular view and you have the option of controlling anyone?
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#8 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:27 am

High 5 wrote:Is the Campus Legend mode like Superstar mode as far as the camera angle goes? Or is just the regular view and you have the option of controlling anyone?

yup, the same camera angle.
High 5
RealGM

Post#9 » by High 5 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:35 am

I appreciate the response but it's kind of vague. Same camera angle as Superstar or same angle as usual? Pretty sure you mean same as usual, but just making sure. Thanks.
Reks
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Reks » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:29 am

Yes i love NCAA games
menflavor
easily the worst realgm screen name
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#11 » by J.Kim » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:59 am

This is the first year I'll be buying an NCAA game, because up till now I've never had a console...

From people raving about it on a year-to-year basis, I hope it lives up to my expectations...
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#12 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:13 pm

High 5 wrote:I appreciate the response but it's kind of vague. Same camera angle as Superstar or same angle as usual? Pretty sure you mean same as usual, but just making sure. Thanks.

the same camera angle as superstar.

As with superstar mode, the camera will shift to focus on your player depending on his position and, unless you're a QB who can call audibles, you'll depend on your AI coach to get you the ball.

here's the gamespot preview on campus legend mode:

Every year tens of thousands of high school football players dream of continuing their careers at the collegiate level, but most of them will never know what it's like to play in an enormous stadium in front of 60,000 rabid fans. EA Tiburon is doing its best to make sure that dream comes true for everybody in NCAA Football 08's campus legend mode. We recently spent some time with the mode at EA's Summer Preview event and tried to see if we had what it takes to take our game from high school to a Division 1 powerhouse. It wasn't easy, but it sure was fun.

You can start your campus legend career in a number of ways: You can take over the career of any existing collegiate player, you can create a player and start him off in college, or you can create a high school player. Just be sure to pick a position you enjoy because you can't change it once you've begun. Should you go the high school route, you'll start the game as a senior who's about to take part in a 16-team playoff featuring schools from real cities in whatever area you said your player is from. The first three games take place on what looks like a typical high school field with a small number of bleachers packed with fans. If you can make it to the championship game you'll be rewarded with your first taste of what it's like to play at the next level because your game will take place in the stadium of the nearest major university.

Your focus isn't just on winning playoff games; it's also on playing well and garnering the attention of college recruiters. This means you'll have to make every play count, especially since your coach can bench you if you're stinking up the joint. But be aware that if you're blowing out the other team, your coach might call off the dogs and pull you too. Because you're a player and not a coach, you'll have to run the plays that are sent in by the head coach. EA is toying with the possibility of letting you call audibles if you're the QB, but no final decision has yet been made. You'll have control over only the player you've created, and the game will quickly simulate any play you're not involved in, though you can choose to watch any play you'd like. While it's only natural to want the ball in your hands on every play, it's surprisingly fun to throw a block that springs a player free for a big gain--especially if you're a quarterback. QBs naturally get the most action and receivers the least, but you can call for the ball if (like any receiver worth his salt) you think you're open on every play.

Once your high school career has wound down you'll be presented with a list of the schools that want you to don their colors. While this is a small victory, your journey has just begun. Do you go to a small school where you'll come in and challenge for the starting job right away, or do you swallow your pride and ride the pine at a major program? We chose the big school route and headed off to Nebraska to see if we could channel our inner Tommy Frazier. As expected, we were way down on the depth chart. Heck, we were lucky to just get into the stadium. But we didn't come this far to be a glorified water boy; we came to play, and that meant working hard in practice.

When practice started we were shown how far behind the next player on the depth chart we were. Basically, you'll need to earn about 21 practice points for every one overall rating point between you and the player above you. When your rating equals his, the job is yours. After practice we were awarded points that went toward improving our quarterback's accuracy, throwing power, carrying ability, elusiveness, spine move, and juke. While a backup quarterback's role is mostly limited to mop-up duty in blowouts, other nonstarters will need to be prepared to contribute to special teams, both on offense and defense. In addition to practicing, you'll need to figure out how to best spend your free time. You can choose to study, go to the movies, or play pickup basketball, which may raise or lower certain attributes or even cause injury. Being all about our education we decided to stay in and hit the books. Hey, we said we wanted to be like Tommy Frazier, not Lawrence Phillips.

Even though it has been just a short time since our last hands-on time with the game, it's already looking and playing even better. The new gang tackles look great, and while there are even more animations in this build, the frame rate was more consistent and smooth. EA was tight-lipped about other aspects of the game, but we were able to get a few tidbits on some things to look forward to. Not only will there be 115 stadiums, but UCS's new stadium will be in the game, as will Vanderbilt's new digs and Alabama's upgraded stadium. We also got a closer look at the beautifully detailed trophies that will fill your trophy room...if you're any good.

NCAA Football 08 is due out on July 17 for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. We'll continue to bring you the latest on the game as its release date approaches.
High 5
RealGM

Post#13 » by High 5 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:23 pm

Awesome. I was a little disappointed because I thought you meant same as usual. This is great to hear. I was on the fence about buying NCAA this year, but Campus Legend sold me.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#14 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:48 pm

Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#15 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:34 pm

ncaa football 08 demo is now on Xbox live!! GO DOWNLOAD!!! and PLAY!!
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#16 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:59 pm

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21199.html

anyone interested in NCAA football 08 or the campus legend mode has to check this video out. it's awesome! i'm so buying this game!!
High 5
RealGM

Post#17 » by High 5 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:56 pm

Yeah, it's going to be hard for me to find time for anything else a few days after NCAA comes out. I'll be playing that non stop.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#18 » by HMFFL » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:27 am

Do you like playing it online?

I bought last years and the first thing I did was update the roster names. I used the transfer.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#19 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:58 am

HMFFL wrote:Do you like playing it online?

I bought last years and the first thing I did was update the roster names. I used the transfer.

that's cool. i only played online once... the other guy bailed on me so i automatically won... i want to use those name input thing but i gotta buy a memory card and transfer cable... sigh...
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#20 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:36 am

From the very first snap, you'll notice this game runs a whole lot faster and smoother than last year's edition, thanks to the necessary bump to 60 frames per second. This improved framerate also has another interesting effect -- you're able to see many more of the subtle-yet-sweet animations, such as ball carriers putting their hand on the ground to regain balance or juking under a defender who's suddenly left hugging air. Aside from speeding things up, developer EA Tiburon has smartly retooled many key facets of gameplay. Run blocking is vastly improved, as it's finally possible to get some positive yardage on sweeps -- plus, those fatties on the offensive line now open some actual running holes between the tackles. The defensive A.I. also steps it up, especially in the secondary. In years past, the deep ball was always a defensive back's Achilles' heel. That's not the case anymore -- unless you spot a breakdown in coverage or catch them offguard with a pump fake, these defensive speed demons will stick to wideouts like stink on s***. Defenders are pretty smart between the hash marks, too; toss an errant pass over the middle, and more often than not, someone will step in to intercept it. But you won't always want to rely on the A.I. for making plays, simply because the refined hit stick makes it much more fun to knock the snot out of the opposition. Seriously, it's supremely satisfying sending a receiver head over feet with a perfectly timed flick of the right analog stick. And now that 08 lets you save highlights, you can continually relive these thrilling, heavy-hitting moments and even send the clips to your fellow sportos.

08 also excels away from the gridiron. The new recruiting system (which gives you 10 simulated hours a week to call prospects, feel out their likes and dislikes, and then pitch them on stuff like campus life and playing time) even had this documented Dynasty hater completely hooked. Unlike in previous installments, the recruiting here never feels overwhelming, and 08's simple-yet-effective feedback system (a smiling/frowning football -- yes, I know it sounds corny, but it works) lets you know right away whether you should keep pursuing a blue-chipper or invest your time elsewhere. The ego-driven Campus Legend mode finally finds its way into the 360 version, and unlike Madden NFL 07's horrific Superstar mode, you can actually play using these position-specific camera angles. This year's mode also comes with another neat twist, as you start your career competing in your home state's high school playoffs (hmm, seems like some folks at EA are fans of Friday Night Lights). Obviously, the better you perform, the more schools will be beating down your door with scholarship offers. While those two modes thrive in 08, it's somewhat disappointing that the developers didn't add any new minigames (Bowling, Option Dash, and Tug-O-War return) to the mix.

So does anything taint this revitalized gridiron? Yep, and it starts online. Once again, the NCAA series (along with EA's Madden 08, which we'll review next month) are severely slackin' in this area. Sure, the online matchups run pretty much without a hitch -- but, man, what do we gotta do for an online Dynasty mode across the Internet? C'mon, EA: It's about time you made it possible for a bunch of online friends to join up and battle it out for the BCS crown and recruits. 08 sports some other head-scratchers, including a play-call screen that covers up instant replays (lame) and an utter lack of alternate uniforms (even lamer, especially since EA has said that it won't be offering them via download). These are small gripes for sure, but two that EA really needs to address in next year's game.

Before we wrap things up, you may have noticed that I'm only talking about the 360 version here. Well, that's because EA refused to send us the PS3 edition, which I've confirmed only runs at 30 frames per second (so expect this one to move a bit slower). With that being said, if you own both systems, you'd be a fool not to choose the Microsoft route when picking up a copy of 08.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3161358

looks like a must buy for football fans!! :bowdown:

Return to The General NFL Board