Football and Olympics

JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Football and Olympics 

Post#1 » by JaxMagic » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:07 am

Today I was skimming through the TV and I came across the IFAF championship on the NFL Network. Team USA was playing Japan and this caught me way off guard because I had no idea an International American Football League even existed. Well i looked more into it and this organization is trying to push to get American football in the olympics. They are aiming for the 2016 Olympics. The Olympic committee is currently looking for new sports to add and they said they would be interested in football if it wold get the backing of the NFL. Well apparently, the NFL likes the idea because they said they would back it. How awesome would it be to see our football in the Olympics?
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#2 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:40 am

i would be pretty cool but i doubt other nations will register their team for it... if the US send their C-team, usa will dominate. i think right now, the US only sends like their F team or something.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#3 » by Latrell » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:04 am

I took a trip to Europe a while back and I was surprised to actually see people wear NFL jerseys in I'm talking mostly parts of Germany,Belgium,Netherlands etc...The NFL is starting to slowly catch on around the world, I mean people around the world actually have a vague understanding of the rules, I bet you 20 years ago no one outside of the US or Canada had any idea about the NFL or American football..They knew it existed as a sport...that's it...Now there is actually a small following of football in other parts of the world, mainly Western Europe, Eastern Europe is another story,no one knows football no one cares about football, no one follows footballl, I have family in Romania and I literally spent an hour trying to explain the rules of football to them to no avail, they weren't interested one bit, I even put in one of my Colts tapes and they couldn't stand even a quarter of it...too static for them, when teams would huddle up and set plays my cousins would ask me " why do they just stand there?" why aren't they moving?" and etc etc....it's the same with baseball, Europeans and and other countries in general don't seem to watch or play sports that involve a lot of strategy and intricacies, give a ball and a net and they're happy. They just don;t have the patience for sports like football or baseball, they just can't appreciate the beauty of these games...

Football is coming along but it still has a long,long,long way to go, Soccer in the U.S and Canada is WAY ahead of Football in Europe or around the world.

Return to The General NFL Board