ImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

Kalamazoo317
Rookie
Posts: 1,203
And1: 502
Joined: Nov 23, 2018
   

Re: Around the League 

Post#1061 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:45 pm

Minny is bad.
JNewton
Veteran
Posts: 2,908
And1: 132
Joined: Aug 20, 2002

Re: Around the League 

Post#1062 » by JNewton » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:57 pm

bstein14 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
That's not true at all... we could have easily kept Wood if we wanted to we just wouldn't have had the money to sign Plumlee... who we gave up a 2nd to dump to sign Olynyk.

The Rockets were able to get a first round pick from Dallas for Wood. The Rockets probably got a more valuable pick for Wood than we got for Grant.



Financially we absolutely could’ve kept both. But from a roster building perspective, we would never have resigned Wood and signed Grant. So technically I’m right


We could have just let Wood be the starting center next to Grant. It seems like the most major reason we didn't keep Wood was because he was out for himself a bit down the stretch for us (and who can blame him on a tanking team with injured Blake and traded away Drummond)..... More so that Casey wasn't a fan of him and Weaver wanted to clean house and build a new "culture".

The fact that Houston was able to sign him and then trade him for a 1st rounder is very similar to what we were able to do with Grant and its one way to ultilize cap space to build assets.


Asides from Troy Weaver not seeming to be interested in keeping Wood; Wood himself also did not want to stay with the Pistons. His social media posts made that pretty clear.
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 39,438
And1: 3,127
Joined: Sep 05, 2004

Re: Around the League 

Post#1063 » by Cowology » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:11 am

The Steph Curry effect is kinda wild. The W's took 100 shots tonight and 52 of them were 3's. That's over 50% of their total fga!! Steph had 18 attempts all by himself.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but that's hard for me to wrap my head around.
chrbal
RealGM
Posts: 20,425
And1: 1,394
Joined: Mar 02, 2001
Contact:

Re: Around the League 

Post#1064 » by chrbal » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:22 pm

JNewton wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Financially we absolutely could’ve kept both. But from a roster building perspective, we would never have resigned Wood and signed Grant. So technically I’m right


We could have just let Wood be the starting center next to Grant. It seems like the most major reason we didn't keep Wood was because he was out for himself a bit down the stretch for us (and who can blame him on a tanking team with injured Blake and traded away Drummond)..... More so that Casey wasn't a fan of him and Weaver wanted to clean house and build a new "culture".

The fact that Houston was able to sign him and then trade him for a 1st rounder is very similar to what we were able to do with Grant and its one way to ultilize cap space to build assets.


Asides from Troy Weaver not seeming to be interested in keeping Wood; Wood himself also did not want to stay with the Pistons. His social media posts made that pretty clear.



I mean if you wanna apply facts and such, sure. Geez.

The team would’ve never signed Grant and kept Wood, it just doesn’t make sense. I was just surprised to see a response that so clearly ignored the facts
MortSahlfan
Junior
Posts: 262
And1: 87
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
 

Re: Around the League 

Post#1065 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:49 pm

: Former No. 4 overall pick Josh Jackson is joining the Stockton Kings, Sacramento’s G League affiliate
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 15,112
And1: 8,023
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Around the League 

Post#1066 » by zeebneeb » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:56 am

Watching the Magic tonight, and man its rough watching that team starting to come together, while the Pistons are actually getting worse.

Damn.
mattao313
General Manager
Posts: 8,108
And1: 3,725
Joined: Aug 29, 2014
       

Re: Around the League 

Post#1067 » by mattao313 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:37 am

Watching Maxey I could see ivey becoming a similar player.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 27,943
And1: 5,884
Joined: Jun 22, 2001

Re: Around the League 

Post#1068 » by bstein14 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:49 am

zeebneeb wrote:Watching the Magic tonight, and man its rough watching that team starting to come together, while the Pistons are actually getting worse.

Damn.


That's one of the hard parts about being excited for next season... Most people thought the Magic and Pacers would be the only two teams worse than us (maybe the Wizards or Hornets as well (after the assault and losing Bridges).... but the Pacers took a decent sized step forward this year and have a young star in Haliburton... and the Magic also have been playing much better and look to be closer to a .500 team of late with a young start in Banchero and other really promising young players. It's hard to look at the East and see five teams we could be better than next year even if we land a decent FA starter and we get the #2 or #3 pick in this draft.

We're the worst team in the East and our two best players this year are over 30 and that is certainly a reason to be concerned.
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 27,943
And1: 5,884
Joined: Jun 22, 2001

Re: Around the League 

Post#1069 » by bstein14 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:32 pm

Jerami Grant wanted to sign a 4 year, $112 million contract extension with Portland after he was traded there but Portland wanted to wait and see how things went.... Now Grant has averaged a very efficient 21.2 PPG shooting 42+% from deep and playing good defense and Jerami Grant has now decided he wanted to wait until this summer because he thinks he can get more than the $112 million in FA.
Invictus88
Starter
Posts: 2,362
And1: 1,003
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Around the League 

Post#1070 » by Invictus88 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:05 am

bstein14 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Watching the Magic tonight, and man its rough watching that team starting to come together, while the Pistons are actually getting worse.

Damn.


That's one of the hard parts about being excited for next season... Most people thought the Magic and Pacers would be the only two teams worse than us (maybe the Wizards or Hornets as well (after the assault and losing Bridges).... but the Pacers took a decent sized step forward this year and have a young star in Haliburton... and the Magic also have been playing much better and look to be closer to a .500 team of late with a young start in Banchero and other really promising young players. It's hard to look at the East and see five teams we could be better than next year even if we land a decent FA starter and we get the #2 or #3 pick in this draft.

We're the worst team in the East and our two best players this year are over 30 and that is certainly a reason to be concerned.


Except that if you trade away Bojan for a FRP and possibly Burks for a 2nd and naturally get rid of McGruder, Cojo and Noel (all non-essentials) then you have a roster loaded with potential that has an average age of 22.08; far and away the youngest team in the league; not to mention with a high lottery pick in this year's draft.

Our future best player has been hurt all season and everyone else is still making major strides in their development. None of those players including Bojan and Burks will have any real impact on our club when it comes time to win meaningful games.

I'd be way more concerned if we were losing games and we didn't have young talent and assets to grow with. That's just not the case here.

You can choose to lose sleep over the fact that we are losing a lot of meaningless games this year or take solace in the fact that our rebuild is still on schedule.
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 27,943
And1: 5,884
Joined: Jun 22, 2001

Re: Around the League 

Post#1071 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:45 am

Invictus88 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Watching the Magic tonight, and man its rough watching that team starting to come together, while the Pistons are actually getting worse.

Damn.


That's one of the hard parts about being excited for next season... Most people thought the Magic and Pacers would be the only two teams worse than us (maybe the Wizards or Hornets as well (after the assault and losing Bridges).... but the Pacers took a decent sized step forward this year and have a young star in Haliburton... and the Magic also have been playing much better and look to be closer to a .500 team of late with a young start in Banchero and other really promising young players. It's hard to look at the East and see five teams we could be better than next year even if we land a decent FA starter and we get the #2 or #3 pick in this draft.

We're the worst team in the East and our two best players this year are over 30 and that is certainly a reason to be concerned.


Except that if you trade away Bojan for a FRP and possibly Burks for a 2nd and naturally get rid of McGruder, Cojo and Noel (all non-essentials) then you have a roster loaded with potential that has an average age of 22.08; far and away the youngest team in the league; not to mention with a high lottery pick in this year's draft.

Our future best player has been hurt all season and everyone else is still making major strides in their development. None of those players including Bojan and Burks will have any real impact on our club when it comes time to win meaningful games.

I'd be way more concerned if we were losing games and we didn't have young talent and assets to grow with. That's just not the case here.

You can choose to lose sleep over the fact that we are losing a lot of meaningless games this year or take solace in the fact that our rebuild is still on schedule.


Is the rebuild still on schedule if we only win 30 games next year? Or is next year a year where you feel like we need to be a playoff team or make some bigger changes as a franchise?
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 15,177
And1: 4,109
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Around the League 

Post#1072 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:07 am

bstein14 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
That's one of the hard parts about being excited for next season... Most people thought the Magic and Pacers would be the only two teams worse than us (maybe the Wizards or Hornets as well (after the assault and losing Bridges).... but the Pacers took a decent sized step forward this year and have a young star in Haliburton... and the Magic also have been playing much better and look to be closer to a .500 team of late with a young start in Banchero and other really promising young players. It's hard to look at the East and see five teams we could be better than next year even if we land a decent FA starter and we get the #2 or #3 pick in this draft.

We're the worst team in the East and our two best players this year are over 30 and that is certainly a reason to be concerned.


Except that if you trade away Bojan for a FRP and possibly Burks for a 2nd and naturally get rid of McGruder, Cojo and Noel (all non-essentials) then you have a roster loaded with potential that has an average age of 22.08; far and away the youngest team in the league; not to mention with a high lottery pick in this year's draft.

Our future best player has been hurt all season and everyone else is still making major strides in their development. None of those players including Bojan and Burks will have any real impact on our club when it comes time to win meaningful games.

I'd be way more concerned if we were losing games and we didn't have young talent and assets to grow with. That's just not the case here.

You can choose to lose sleep over the fact that we are losing a lot of meaningless games this year or take solace in the fact that our rebuild is still on schedule.


Is the rebuild still on schedule if we only win 30 games next year? Or is next year a year where you feel like we need to be a playoff team or make some bigger changes as a franchise?
Depends on who we add this off-season.

If we don't sign anyone significant other than our Lotto pick you can't expect much of a leap even with Cade back cause youth generally doesn't win in the NBA.

IF we add a significant free agent or 2, plus our Lotto pick, plus Cade returns and is much improved? Whole different discussion

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 27,943
And1: 5,884
Joined: Jun 22, 2001

Re: Around the League 

Post#1073 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:46 am

Pharaoh wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Except that if you trade away Bojan for a FRP and possibly Burks for a 2nd and naturally get rid of McGruder, Cojo and Noel (all non-essentials) then you have a roster loaded with potential that has an average age of 22.08; far and away the youngest team in the league; not to mention with a high lottery pick in this year's draft.

Our future best player has been hurt all season and everyone else is still making major strides in their development. None of those players including Bojan and Burks will have any real impact on our club when it comes time to win meaningful games.

I'd be way more concerned if we were losing games and we didn't have young talent and assets to grow with. That's just not the case here.

You can choose to lose sleep over the fact that we are losing a lot of meaningless games this year or take solace in the fact that our rebuild is still on schedule.


Is the rebuild still on schedule if we only win 30 games next year? Or is next year a year where you feel like we need to be a playoff team or make some bigger changes as a franchise?
Depends on who we add this off-season.

If we don't sign anyone significant other than our Lotto pick you can't expect much of a leap even with Cade back cause youth generally doesn't win in the NBA.

IF we add a significant free agent or 2, plus our Lotto pick, plus Cade returns and is much improved? Whole different discussion

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app



I'm disappointed no matter what if we win just 30 games next year, unless we have significant injury issues.

Cade - Ivey - Bey - Stewart - Duren
Hayes - Livers - Diallo - Knox - Bagley

Add in a top 5 pick and Knox one of those guys out of the rotation and we should still be able to win more than games or else our "young talent" isn't so talented.... It's year 4 for Bey, Stewart and Hayes we need to at least make the play-in games or we're not developing the way we need to develop.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 15,177
And1: 4,109
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Around the League 

Post#1074 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:10 am

bstein14 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Is the rebuild still on schedule if we only win 30 games next year? Or is next year a year where you feel like we need to be a playoff team or make some bigger changes as a franchise?
Depends on who we add this off-season.

If we don't sign anyone significant other than our Lotto pick you can't expect much of a leap even with Cade back cause youth generally doesn't win in the NBA.

IF we add a significant free agent or 2, plus our Lotto pick, plus Cade returns and is much improved? Whole different discussion

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app



I'm disappointed no matter what if we win just 30 games next year, unless we have significant injury issues.

Cade - Ivey - Bey - Stewart - Duren
Hayes - Livers - Diallo - Knox - Bagley

Add in a top 5 pick and Knox one of those guys out of the rotation and we should still be able to win more than games or else our "young talent" isn't so talented.... It's year 4 for Bey, Stewart and Hayes we need to at least make the play-in games or we're not developing the way we need to develop.
Why is the play in the benchmark?

Is it possible we only win 30 games next season and the kids still are developing "the right way"?

Name 5 teams we figure to be better than next season. Cause if you can't the play in isn't a realistic goal


Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 15,112
And1: 8,023
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Around the League 

Post#1075 » by zeebneeb » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:01 am

I've been watching a lot of Magic games lately, and they are getting really close to being a legitimate good team. If they ever land a good PG, they are going to be damn good. Scoot would boost that team into the stratosphere if he's what he's supposed to be.

Again, jealousy arises in my soul.
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 27,943
And1: 5,884
Joined: Jun 22, 2001

Re: Around the League 

Post#1076 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:37 am

zeebneeb wrote:I've been watching a lot of Magic games lately, and they are getting really close to being a legitimate good team. If they ever land a good PG, they are going to be damn good. Scoot would boost that team into the stratosphere if he's what he's supposed to be.

Again, jealousy arises in my soul.



A lot of people thought we had a chance to be better than Utah, Indy, Orlando, Sacramento, OKC, etc this year.

Indy has gone 1-9 in their last 10 and things have been looking a bit down for them, but they are still the 9th seed and in the play-in currently.

Sacramento being the 3 seed out West has actually been really surprising to me as well. I thought they got taken on that Haliburton trade but Sabonis has been the third best center in the league and playing great.

Teams with $30+ million in cap space this summer (pending what happens at the trade deadline of course) include us, Houston, Indy, San Antonio, OKC, Orlando, Charlotte, and Utah.... and if feels like with the way some of those other teams have played well we're likely one of the least desirable locations because we appear to be further away than most of those teams like OKC, Orlando, Indy, Utah, etc.
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 15,112
And1: 8,023
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Around the League 

Post#1077 » by zeebneeb » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:48 am

bstein14 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I've been watching a lot of Magic games lately, and they are getting really close to being a legitimate good team. If they ever land a good PG, they are going to be damn good. Scoot would boost that team into the stratosphere if he's what he's supposed to be.

Again, jealousy arises in my soul.



A lot of people thought we had a chance to be better than Utah, Indy, Orlando, Sacramento, OKC, etc this year.

Indy has gone 1-9 in their last 10 and things have been looking a bit down for them, but they are still the 9th seed and in the play-in currently.

Sacramento being the 3 seed out West has actually been really surprising to me as well. I thought they got taken on that Haliburton trade but Sabonis has been the third best center in the league and playing great.

Teams with $30+ million in cap space this summer (pending what happens at the trade deadline of course) include us, Houston, Indy, San Antonio, OKC, Orlando, Charlotte, and Utah.... and if feels like with the way some of those other teams have played well we're likely one of the least desirable locations because we appear to be further away than most of those teams like OKC, Orlando, Indy, Utah, etc.
Well Detroit has had some horrendous injury problems, and have arguably the worst coach in the league. It is what it is. As for Sacramento, I was high on that trade for Sacramento, and said they made the right pick with Murray. They are better then even I thought they would be, and I'm pretty sure I picked them to make the playoffs.

4 of the bad teams from last year have either taken big leaps(Pacers have almost tied their win total from last year at 24 wins(25) and thunder tied their win total tonight)or have been improving steadily. (Kings, Magic)

The only teams that have as bleak an outlook at the Pistons right now are Houston, and Hornets, with one being a self-inflicted one(Hornets)and the other due to bad team building, and the utter lack of a PG.

If the Pistons don't land top 2, then the outlook is bleak for next year. Hope Cade turns into a legit superstar...
LSV
Ballboy
Posts: 30
And1: 5
Joined: Mar 12, 2022
   

Re: Around the League 

Post#1078 » by LSV » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:23 pm

...
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 15,112
And1: 8,023
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Around the League 

Post#1079 » by zeebneeb » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:28 pm

Hornets win, and now have 15 victories on the season. Separation is starting to happen now between the crap-ass teams.

Next relevant game is Wizards@Spurs on Monday.

Records of trash teams-1/29/23

Hornets 15-36
Spurs 14-36
Pistons 13-38
Rockets 12-38

Next closest?

Magic 19-31

I think the Magic are out of the running for worst record. The title fight is between the bottom 4

Best thing that can come out of another lost season, is ensuring you secure top 5 at this point.
flow
Analyst
Posts: 3,495
And1: 2,018
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Around the League 

Post#1080 » by flow » Wed Feb 1, 2023 8:54 pm

The Pacers won 9 of 11 prior to Haliburton getting hurt. And then went 1-9 without him. That's impact.

Return to Detroit Pistons