ImageImageImage

Game 45: Pistons @ Pacers // Tues. 7pm on FSN Detroit

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#121 » by Liqourish » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Amir with 4.3 pts 5.0 rebs 0.7 asts 2.0 blks on 55% fg in 12.3 mpg in the last three games where Flip has finally played him.

The only other game in January where he got serious minutes was the game agianst New York on January 13th where he got 8 pts 2 rebs and 1 ast on 3-3 shooting and 2-2 from the line in 12 minutes.

If you average THAT game in with the last three where he saw real minutes (not 2 minutes in garbage time) he has averaged 5.3 pts 4.3 rebs 0.5 asts 0.3 stls 1.5 blks on 64% fg and 75% FT in 12.3 mpg.

IMO, Amir is earning minutes right now. Whether Flip just had an epiphany or else Joe told him to prove he can't play and he'll trade him, Amir is producing when given real substantial minutes.

I'd like to see him with mostly Max or Sheed when playing though.
jab
Starter
And1: 3
Location: Detroit: Where only the strong survive cause the weak are eaten alive!

Post#122 » by jab » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Liqourish wrote:
IMO, Amir is earning minutes right now. Whether Flip just had an epiphany or else Joe told him to prove he can't play and he'll trade him, Amir is producing when given real substantial minutes.

I'd like to see him with mostly Max or Sheed when playing though.

I would like to see him play only with Sheed a few more times. We are too undersized and weak on D when he is out there with Mad Max.

Flip is not capable of having an epiphany. Joe told him to prove Amir could not hold his own and if not he would package up our expiring contracts and make some callbacks to other teams who are drooling over all the #2 draft picks Joe D has in his pocket.

Joe D would not have signed Amir last summer if he didn't KNOW Amir had game. Joe D would not trade Amir unless Amir wanted to leave or started to 'sulk'.

I'm not responsible if some people don't realize that Flip Saunders has to get a new contract but Joe D has a job for as long as he wants to be a GM :wink:

BTW thanks for the 'stats' on Amir's recent play, I don't look up or even think about stats when I notice a player is having an impact on the flow of the game
ADM
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#123 » by ADM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:38 pm

Some post-game observations...

Just as soon as I call Rasheed's post game "overrated", he goes nuts in the post and starts lighting cats up like a Christmas tree. I still stand by my assertion and would point out there's only been one other game where he's looked nearly as good (against Chicago earlier in the year), but he sure did go to work down there. No surprise he tends to be more motivated when slow, crappy defenders are on him.

Stuckey finally, finally, showed some flashes. He made a couple of nice one-on-one plays, played aggressively, and didn't look too lost. He's got skills, he just needs to be more comfortable. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Jarvis finally made himself useful on the court. He's a tough player to watch when he's missing shots, just totally useless.

Amir's still playing very well, doing what he does best: blocking shots, running the floor, rebounding, and bringing energy. He's earning his minutes now. Hopefully he stays in the rotation and works out some of the kinks on the floor. I couldn't personally care less if we play .500 ball for a while to work in the bench and then go on a post All-Star break tear. We'd still win 50 games and be the second seed.

Quinn Buckner is an excellent TV analyst. I usually dread watching the opposing team's feed on League Pass, but he was really good. He was extremely perceptive (picking up on the communication between players and other trends). Good stuff.

I'm also firmly convinced that Indiana couldn't possibly have played a better first half, and yet they still lost the game. That has to be painful to watch.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#124 » by nasty daddy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:23 pm

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/ ... 0278.shtml

Rasheed Wallace eased his way into the game. By the end, he was soaring through the air to make a game-saving play.

After sauntering through a scoreless first quarter, Wallace returned late in the first half and promptly went on an inside scoring spree. He remained aggressive the rest of the game, finishing with 24 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks.

He can still surprise everybody on occasion, and he certainly caught Travis Diener off guard in the closing seconds. With the Pistons leading by four, Wallace scampered across the court and swatted Diener's 3-point try from the corner.

nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#125 » by nasty daddy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:11 am

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/ ... logid=1133

A couple of leftovers from the 110-104 win in Indy Tuesday: You might have noticed an angry Rasheed Wallace stalking over to the end of the bench at the end of the first half. Wallace had just hit five straight shots good for 11 points. He was cooking and there was nothing Indiana could do to stop him. There were 19 seconds left and the Pistons were going to have the last possession of the half. Wallace was angry that Flip Saunders pulled him from the game. Wallace had two fouls, which was the reason Saunders pulled him. There was a lot of banging going on on the low block and Saunders didn't want to risk him picking up foul No. 3. Wallace didn't brood long, though. He came out smoking in the second half. "That's what happens, sometimes," he said with a shrug. "I ain't trippin' about it."

Lost in Wallace's brilliance Tuesday -- at least in my coverage -- was another energetic and productive effort from Amir Johnson. He had six rebounds and six points. He made a spectacular rebound jam over Mike Dunleavy in the fourth quarter. In the second quarter he made a deft little pass to Wallace, setting him up for a dunk. He made another nice feed in the fourth, finding Chauncey Billups alone for a three-pointer. For the first time, Johnson is playing comfortably and confidently. It's still early, and there is a lot more learning and growing to be done, but the Pistons may have at last found their fourth big man.

By the way, I called the shots on Jarvis Hayes' 13-point breakout game. I was watching him pre-game and he was sizzling. Usually there is no correlation between what these guys do pre-game and in-game -- but Hayes had that look. I even told him before the game that he was going to break out. I predicted he'd score 16, I was off by three. He probably wishes every game was against the Pacers. He's torched them for 33 points, hitting 13 of 19 shots. Final thing: For all of you who sent their prayers and regards to my brother -- bless you. He came out of surgery fine. They said it went as well as any quadruple by-pass can go. Now comes the hard part. Rehab and recovery. I am on my way to spend a couple of days with him. Thanks again for all your kindness.

Return to Detroit Pistons