ImageImageImage

Fire SVG

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Re: Fire SVG 

Post#41 » by davidvolumes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm

A blind man could see having Reggie pounding the air out of the ball for 16 to 18 seconds each possession had 3 players standing around just watching. It made Reggie look good but its not a system that leads to elite bb. What took svg so long long to figure this out if he is such a great coach?
I remarked months before svg addressed it that the league had caught up with the Reggie and Dre high p n r? One of my issues with svg is he he is slow to make adjustments and changes. I have heard the argument many times as to why we cant play boban. Slow feet, doesn't close out on mobile centers who can shoot;etc...Have you noticed opposing centers are eating dre alive. Dre doesn't play the p n r well at all. He doesn't extend himself out on centers who can shot. And he rarely established good post position. How do you help a team of average players? By having a center to throw the ball to who has established good post position.
Futhermore Marcus Morris and jon are NOT good 3 point shooters. What they are are solid midrange players who on occasions can make a few 3's. Same with kcp. These 3 should be involved heavily in pick and roll situations. That's there strengths. This team has talent. What it doesn't have is a coach who puts each player in situations to succeed. You got to be kidding. Building a team around Reggie. LMAO.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#42 » by flow » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:41 pm

theBigLip wrote:Wow, so many places to go with this. I strongly think SVG is doing a good job and we need to keep him. But let me explain a bit more.

Secondly, are we just judging SVG because of two players not performing up to our expectations? It makes total sense to roll with these guys this year and hopefully make them better. Not sure if RJ is not good or not healthy, but he sure looked better last year, so I'm assuming he's not 100%. So you want to fire SVG because his PG is not healthy?

No, I'm blaming SVG for having those expectations of them in the first place. Neither were warranted, and neither should have been made franchise players. Nothing is surprising about the way either of those players are playing.

On the day RJ was traded to Detroit, an OKC fan wrote the following in response to Detroit fans questioning why OKC fans were happy to be rid of him:

He doesn't make smart basketball plays, not a good decision maker, and he's not talented enough to make up for it. He has poor court vision and if he makes up his mind that he's gonna take the shot, that's what he'll do, no matter who's open.

He's a terrible outside shooter, a TERRIBLE defender, and a bad decision maker.

He's good at driving and a pretty good finisher around the rim. He has good touch. He IS capable of getting hot and pouring in points once in a while... but overall? You're getting a 42% shooting "PG" with bad decision making/bad court vision and terrible defense.

Virtually everything he said has proven completely true. (you could argue his outside shooting isn't terrible). So yes, SVG is to blame for not having the insight and forethought that this fan had when he decided to make him his franchise point guard.

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#43 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

flow wrote:
theBigLip wrote:Wow, so many places to go with this. I strongly think SVG is doing a good job and we need to keep him. But let me explain a bit more.

Secondly, are we just judging SVG because of two players not performing up to our expectations? It makes total sense to roll with these guys this year and hopefully make them better. Not sure if RJ is not good or not healthy, but he sure looked better last year, so I'm assuming he's not 100%. So you want to fire SVG because his PG is not healthy?

No, I'm blaming SVG for having those expectations of them in the first place. Neither were warranted, and neither should have been made franchise players. Nothing is surprising about the way either of those players are playing.

On the day RJ was traded to Detroit, an OKC fan wrote the following in response to Detroit fans questioning why OKC fans were happy to be rid of him:

He doesn't make smart basketball plays, not a good decision maker, and he's not talented enough to make up for it. He has poor court vision and if he makes up his mind that he's gonna take the shot, that's what he'll do, no matter who's open.

He's good at driving and a pretty good finisher around the rim. He has good touch. He IS capable of getting hot and pouring in points once in a while... but overall? You're getting a 42% shooting "PG" with bad decision making/bad court vision and terrible defense.

Virtually everything he said has proven completely true. (you could argue his outside shooting isn't terrible). So yes, SVG is to blame for not having the insight and forethought that this fan had when he decided to make him his franchise point guard.

Good post. The crazy thing is that RJ is the best PG we've had around here for awhile, so at least it was an improvement. I'm sure everyone on the board agrees we need to keep looking to improve that position.
sinnombre2323
Sophomore
And1: 32

Re: RE: Re: Fire SVG 

Post#44 » by sinnombre2323 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:25 pm

theBigLip wrote:
flow wrote:

Good post. The crazy thing is that RJ is the best PG we've had around here for awhile, so at least it was an improvement. I'm sure everyone on the board agrees we need to keep looking to improve that position.

Should've got ricky rub...

Sent from my SM-J700M using RealGM mobile app
davidvolumes
Junior

Post#45 » by davidvolumes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

I am not saying SVG is wrong to sit Stanley for any reason he chooses at any time. BUT it certainly seems he holds Stanley to a higher standard than he does Reggie and Dre.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#46 » by DBC10 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:00 pm

flow wrote:

That's what OKC fans said? Man I must've missed that since all I really heard was bad defense and locker room trouble.

But it does prove them completely right for whatever it's worth. SVG gambled, thought he can groom him to be his own PG that plays his way, but got someone that is opposite of that. Defensive liability, tunnel vision, and not an elite finisher with 26%+ usage rate.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#47 » by vic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 am

flow wrote:

Slow Clap
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
vic
Veteran

Post#48 » by vic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:52 am

At the very least of you know what you got you make the the 4th man instead of the top dog
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#49 » by Han Solo » Sat Apr 8, 2017 2:32 am

yes.
vic
Veteran

Post#50 » by vic » Sat Apr 8, 2017 2:54 am

SVG is still coaching in 2005.

Stanley has been more valuable on the court than iso Morris for about 50 games.
Bobans been the same player all year.

His decision making is atrocious.
davidvolumes
Junior

Post#51 » by davidvolumes » Sat Apr 8, 2017 2:58 am

He should be fired for the coaching job he did this year. Svg is the single most reason pistons failed to make the playoffs. Just for the record dre is a third string center
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#52 » by El Chivo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 am

It's time to.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#53 » by theBigLip » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:10 am

This is a pivotal year. I could see extremely different possibilities.

I could see us get our teamwork together and have everyone healthy, and get HCA this coming year in the playoffs, just like several of us thought before this season.

I could also see a lockerroom blowup, everyone taking sides and tuning out SVG. If that happens there is going to be a lot of activity by the trade deadline.

So the truth is likely somewhere in between. I'm giving SVG the coach and SVG the GM one more year before I jump ship.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#54 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:33 am

I think SVG moves upstairs permanently before he gets fired.

Gores didn't hire him to rebuild the roster - he hired him to rebuild the entire organization!

That takes a lot of trust, time and money and Gores seems smart enough to know you're not getting results in the NBA immediately from such a large change

You can shuffle players in and out but true difference makers are hard to find in the NBA

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#55 » by JohnReese » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:24 am

He is still our best option. I'm done hiring assistants hoping they become great coaches.
vic
Veteran

Post#56 » by vic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am

I'm spoiled. I've seen a Pistons championship every decade in my life except for this one. SVG talks defense but pays offense. He doesn't have Pistons DNA and it doesn't look like they will ever win with SVG unless he can fix his mindset. You can't yell defense into a guy you gotta get the right guys and pay the right guys.

All his choices scream that he really values offense over defense that's why we have the highest payroll without being a contender. Sorry I don't see it right now with SVG.
vic
Veteran

Post#57 » by vic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Look around the NBA today.

Winning teams acquire defenders and enhance them offensively.
- Spurs - Kahwi, Danny
- Bulls made the playoffs with Butler, Rondo
- Miami - went on huge streak end of last year with a bunch of defensive nobodies
- Milwaukee - Giannis, Middleton
- Boston - winning with IT and a bunch of defenders
- Warriors - Draymond, Iggy

Losing teams acquire offensive players and try to get them to play defense by yelling.
- Suns (Booker)
- Minnesota (Wiggins, Lavine). That's why Thibs went after Butler.
- Pistons

SVG seems to be falling into a losing mentality. He's burying the only defensive-minded player he's acquired. He got rid of Spencer who could actually defend other point guards.

Most of the main guys he's picked up on his own has been an offensive guy he thinks he can yell defense into. Reggie, Tobias, Ellenson, Boban, Hilliard, etc...

SVG just doesn't have the Pistons mentality. Unless I see SJ, Leuer, Ish getting top 7 minutes this year, I really don't see much improvement happening for this team. You gotta play your defense-first guys.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#58 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:57 pm

He can get the guys to play decent defense overall as I remember for the first couple months before everything got dysfunctional we were a top 5 defense and was rarely giving up 100 points at home.

However this team can't shoot at all and you have to at least be able to knock down open 3s somewhat. He had to address that issue over anything else right now cause it was killing us and he needs to try and get another 3 point shooter before the season starts.

I remember one game we went like 1 for 24 from 3 or some crap. That's just not gonna get it done period.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#59 » by DBC10 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:08 pm

MotownMadness wrote:He can get the guys to play decent defense overall as I remember for the first couple months before everything got dysfunctional we were a top 5 defense and was rarely giving up 100 points at home.

However this team can't shoot at all and you have to at least be able to knock down open 3s somewhat. He had to address that issue over anything else right now cause it was killing us and he needs to try and get another 3 point shooter before the season starts.

I remember one game we went like 1 for 24 from 3 or some crap. That's just not gonna get it done period.

A lot of it has to do with our out of date offense and having zero identity there as well. Half the time we try to run motion but then it just goes back to every guy just standing around not doing anything which is the worst way to play basketball as CLE this year has shown. The only reason CLE can play and win like that is because they have a Lebron, that's it. We have nobody that talented here so everything else sort of falls apart like pulled pork when we try to imitate an offense or go with the out of date 4 spread PnR where no one is talented enough to pass with everyone standing around.

I would love for SVG to take a step back from coaching and just join the front office permanently and hire some up and coming guy.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#60 » by hoophabit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:10 pm

This again!? Really hated the Kennard selection I guess? ;-)

The Pistons gave the ball to Jackson. It looked like a pretty good idea, but he broke. Is what we saw last year the new normal, or can Reggie regain his ability to pressure the basket? Does he mature into a better vet by improving his team play?

Seriously, had they kept "the mayor?" Dinwiddie started a few games for the worst team in the league. Beno probably did a better job as the 3rd string PG, and all going with your 2nd and 3rd stringers likely would have achieved would be drafting just a little lower. If Reggie and the docs thought he could go, the team pretty much had to let him try. Call it pride or heart, Reggie tried until they shut him down. (The game after the team meeting excepted, of course.) :D

Drummond was a disappointment last season. He clearly became discouraged, and provided no leadership. At this point, I'd understand if the team chose to trade him. If he never learns to take the game seriously it will be a waste of colossal athletic talent.

I didn't see the apparent, sure-fire moves that would have salvaged last season. The offense he's running seemed to get quite a few people good shots, and they missed much too often.

Return to Detroit Pistons