ImageImageImage

Donavan Mithcell/Luke Kennnard

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: Donavan Mithcell/Luke Kennnard 

Post#21 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:38 am

Both are going to be stars in this league, but Mitchell is far more athletic and explosive which means he'll always get more attention. I
think LK will have a longer and more successful career
313 Professor
Starter
And1: 963

Post#22 » by 313 Professor » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:21 pm

Kilo wrote:
Kilo wrote:
El Chivo wrote:Kennard might be the only successful draft pick made by van Bower...

Check out Spencer Dinwiddie this season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2580782/spencer-dinwiddie

Also Darrun Hilliard is putting up 25/4.9reb/3.4assists shooting 48% including 43% from 3-point range for the Spurs G-League.

I was fine with both being jettisoned from the Pistons, but it shows that Stan is bad with young players and giving them no playing time and a really tight leash. Basketball is a game you need to play to develop. Teams rarely scrimmage during the season and shooting and post up drills are crud in translating into game situations.

My dogs! Dinwiddie and smooooove D Hilly. :(

Spencer > Drummond! I've been watching him. He's splashing deep 3's now like it's nothing and switching onto wings blocking shots. Still some tendency and scoring weaknesses but he should be a Piston! :nonono:

Didn't do any scouting last draft 1st time in a while, but I like Luke. We may not have made the absolute best pick but Luke still looks like a good pick.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#23 » by MotownMadness » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:23 pm

313 Professor wrote:
Kilo wrote:
Kilo wrote:
Check out Spencer Dinwiddie this season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2580782/spencer-dinwiddie

Also Darrun Hilliard is putting up 25/4.9reb/3.4assists shooting 48% including 43% from 3-point range for the Spurs G-League.

I was fine with both being jettisoned from the Pistons, but it shows that Stan is bad with young players and giving them no playing time and a really tight leash. Basketball is a game you need to play to develop. Teams rarely scrimmage during the season and shooting and post up drills are crud in translating into game situations.

My dogs! Dinwiddie and smooooove D Hilly. :(

Spencer > Drummond! I've been watching him. He's splashing deep 3's now like it's nothing and switching onto wings blocking shots. Still some tendency and scoring weaknesses but he should be a Piston! :nonono:

Didn't do any scouting last draft 1st time in a while, but I like Luke. We may not have made the absolute best pick but Luke still looks like a good pick.

They had Dinwiddie home/away stats on the GB. It's unreal the difference. Like going from AllStar to complete scrub lol
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#24 » by flow » Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:42 pm

I was in favor of Luke. Mitchell has been better than I expected, but Luke has not disappointed.

Would I take Luke over Mitchell if there was a re-draft today? Maybe not. But I'm still ok with Luke. He's going to be a very good player.

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#25 » by vic » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:12 pm

Yeah Luke is a good player...

I guess I'm just spoiled by 25+ years of defense-first championship expectations also known as Detroit Basketball... lol
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
vic
Veteran

Post#26 » by vic » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:14 pm

ps here's a tip I learned from years of following the draft... never pass on a basketball player whose actual favorite sport is baseball or also plays baseball. Something special about those guys.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 307

Post#27 » by King Bugs » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:52 pm

Donovan Mitchell was my guy and I was furious when we passed on him. Every time I come across a Utah Jazz boxscore and see him having yet another big game it makes me die a little inside, especially as the Pistons have come plummeting back to earth after that good start. Not to say Kennard won't eventually be good, but it's clear that D Mitch is good right now and we need good players right now.

Donovan is actually a great future argument for all the non-tankers on the board. We don't need to tank, we just need to draft the right players.
Kaboom3
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#28 » by Kaboom3 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:42 pm

Mitchell is a better all around player than Kennard and likely will be better than Kennard long term as well. He has taken advantage of his opportunity in Utah and once you become the man so early, that is highly unlikely to change. You will never convince me though that taking Kennard will not work out well for the Pistons.When the time comes for Luke to get heavy minutes you will see what I am talking about. I love that he is consistently in the rotation now and gaining valuable experience...call me crazy but I see a lot of Klay Thompson in his game.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#29 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:53 am

Anybody whos not completely mad about passing up Mitchell for Kennard is just being a homer. It was a awful mistake one thats going to haunt us for years to come. Mitchell was a consensus higher rated player on every draft site. SVG went for a guy who best case is JJ Reddick instead of a guy who has all nba upside. Passing up players like Booker and Mitchell for rotation players is why we'll be fighting for 8 seeds rather then fighting to win the east.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#30 » by rmfc » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:20 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Anybody whos not completely mad about passing up Mitchell for Kennard is just being a homer. It was a awful mistake one thats going to haunt us for years to come. Mitchell was a consensus higher rated player on every draft site. SVG went for a guy who best case is JJ Reddick instead of a guy who has all nba upside. Passing up players like Booker and Mitchell for rotation players is why we'll be fighting for 8 seeds rather then fighting to win the east.

^Truth.

One more thing. The thing that makes Reddick a very good player (outside of his shooting talent) is his ability to get open. At tbis point in time,Kennard has not shown he can do that even aginst bench players. Plus,his man defense is also brutal...like several other fellow Pistons.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,551

Post#31 » by pistonsbball » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:59 am

Mitchell was the true alpha dog this team needs. Would have 5 more wins this year alone.
vic
Veteran

Post#32 » by vic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Saw Mitchell highlights from last night
Officially done with the Van Gundys

They just don't think right.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#33 » by rmfc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Little man beast, this guy.

Some of Mitchell's moves in the paint last night were just sick!
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,254

Post#34 » by GreekAlex » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:46 pm

The most telling action is the organizations drafting strategy. When you're not getting top lottery picks, I believe you need to gamble on players with higher ceilings.

If you don't want to tank, you must focus on upside in the draft.

By the way, it looks like Mitchell is already better than AB.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#35 » by DCintheD » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm

This organization will never learn from their draft mistakes. What's worse is even if we did draft Mitchell he wouldn't be who he is right now since this organization is HORRIBLE at developing talent. Not sure how/why these people still have jobs. Until an owner/front office is committed to developing talent, we will continue watching a garbage product while players we passed on develop into top talents, or players we did draft end up somewhere else developing. This organization is not committed to doing the right thing.
I may sound salty but I'm sick of this sh^t. There is incompetence in this organization and it starts with ownership. Gores is an absentee owner who puts all his trust in SVG. Enough of this bullsh^t. Cash out to someone who cares or fire SVG from president and hire someone with some long term vision.

I like Luke but Mitchell is a Piston wearing a Jazz jersey..
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
vic
Veteran

Post#36 » by vic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Tired of pistons that don't play like Pistons because ownership and management don't think like Pistons...

Maybe we need to bring in somebody with Midwestern roots.

Or Isaiah Thomas, Laimbeer

Absentee owners, offensive minded coaches, weakminded players, undeveloped draft picks, missing out on future stars
Kaboom3
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#37 » by Kaboom3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Mitchell definitely appears to be a special talent but I still maintain the belief that he would be a shell of himself in Detroit because dumbass Van Gundy would never give him the minutes. Would not happen. I also believe that it is way too early to put down Kennard as a poor draft choice. That kid is a flat out winner and once he gets consistent minutes fans will be happy with the results. Could be worse....could have drafted Monk. That dude cannot get off the bench for the sorry Hornets...lol.
vic
Veteran

Post#38 » by vic » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm

One player I had even higher than Mitchell was Anunoby. Look what he's doing for Toronto

"In addition to a dominant bench mostly composed of former Raptors 905ers, the starting lineup has surged since the insertion of rookie forward OG Anunoby in mid-November. Anunoby guards the opposing team's top scorer virtually every game, and he has been better than advertised as a floor spacer -- he is shooting 43.5 percent from deep -- and a playmaker. When he is on the court with Serge Ibaka and Siakam, the Raptors almost always have an advantage in athleticism, allowing them to switch on defense more than ever before. "

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-the-raptors-got-sick-of-playoff-letdowns-and-broke-all-their-bad-habits/

I would love to see new leadership for the Pistons with a consistent defensive minded, two-way player strategy. SVGs mentality has consistently proven to be fools gold. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't trust his decision making right now.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#39 » by MotownMadness » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:11 pm

vic wrote:One player I had even higher than Mitchell was Anunoby. Look what he's doing for Toronto

"In addition to a dominant bench mostly composed of former Raptors 905ers, the starting lineup has surged since the insertion of rookie forward OG Anunoby in mid-November. Anunoby guards the opposing team's top scorer virtually every game, and he has been better than advertised as a floor spacer -- he is shooting 43.5 percent from deep -- and a playmaker. When he is on the court with Serge Ibaka and Siakam, the Raptors almost always have an advantage in athleticism, allowing them to switch on defense more than ever before. "

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-the-raptors-got-sick-of-playoff-letdowns-and-broke-all-their-bad-habits/

I would love to see new leadership for the Pistons with a consistent defensive minded, two-way player strategy. SVGs mentality has consistently proven to be fools gold. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't trust his decision making right now.

I really liked him but at 12 I lost interest after his injury. He's been very impressive though.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#40 » by MotownMadness » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Mitchell definitely had that Piston type of DNA. Even in the draft interviews he said his favorite player and style is Avery Bradley. Just talked about defense and his willingness to play at that end.

Return to Detroit Pistons