ImageImageImage

Casey - First Impressions

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Re: Casey - First Impressions 

Post#21 » by rmfc » Wed Nov 7, 2018 11:37 pm

All the Gs/SFs on this team are bench players at best. With that in mind, I'm not sure any conclusions can be made about Casey's coaching at this point.

Everyone seems to be playing with a lot more energy than before, though. That's a good sign. Also, it's nice to see that Casey has been flexible with this starting line up so far.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#22 » by DBC10 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 12:57 am

Yeah we shoot a lot more 3s but we don't generate great open shots or get our shooter(s?) in rhythm.
Jackattaq
Lead Assistant
And1: 246

Post#23 » by Jackattaq » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:28 am

I thought Casey was a good defensive coach from all accounts. So far, I’m not seeing it. We’ve been giving up points like there is no end in sight. I haven’t seen much of a defensive attitude improvement with this team.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#24 » by BDM22 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:35 am

Jackattaq wrote:I thought Casey was a good defensive coach from all accounts. So far, I’m not seeing it. We’ve been giving up points like there is no end in sight. I haven’t seen much of a defensive attitude improvement with this team.

Can’t really judge that either considering the rule changes. Pretty much every team is getting lit up.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#25 » by davidvolumes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:05 pm

On the plus side Casey has taken the ball out of Jackson hand. Another positive is sending Stanley to the 2nd unit and adding grlll to the starting lineup. Thats an addition by subtraction and Stanley appears much more comfortable coming off the bench. Casey is benefiting from Blake acting as a coach on the floor. Jackson, are and Stanley are settling in to more defined roles.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#26 » by mattao313 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Idk every game I watch the defense is God awful. If they could play just a little defense it would be a better team.
Championships
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#27 » by Billl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Yeah, the defense currently sucks, but I'm not sure that's all on coach. The plan is basically stay at home on shooters and let our bigs handle the paint. Given the way the game is being played, that's not a bad strategy. We just give up too much guard penetration and Dre isn't good enough defensively to make up for that. I'm not sure you can design a defense that works when your pg gets blown by.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#28 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:21 pm

We are 9th in defensive rating. The defense has been significantly better since the start of the season. I still think the residual effects of the freedom of movement rule is still leaving the impression that our defense is worst in the league (I assume most teams think their defense sucks) when in reality we are top 10 in defensive rating.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#29 » by Billl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Our defensive rating is pretty much us just running guys off the 3 point line. We're giving up a high percentage from 2 and we foul like crazy. The strategy is fine, but we need to really improve our plain man to man defense and quit giving up so many points at the foul line. Eventually that comes back to haunt you.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#30 » by mattao313 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:30 am

Billl wrote:Yeah, the defense currently sucks, but I'm not sure that's all on coach. The plan is basically stay at home on shooters and let our bigs handle the paint. Given the way the game is being played, that's not a bad strategy. We just give up too much guard penetration and Dre isn't good enough defensively to make up for that. I'm not sure you can design a defense that works when your pg gets blown by.

Yeah but I watched a little of the hornets game and remembered Reggie Jackson on kemba most of the game. That's just setting the defense up for failure.
Championships
DarkSyde
Junior
And1: 115

Post#31 » by DarkSyde » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:23 am

Dre looks much improved. Maybe it is from the rest but he seemed more active (more spring on his jumps) and focused. Blake is still Blake. He's taken over the team and is dictating the pace/plays, etc. Everyone is benefiting because he demands so much attention.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#32 » by davidvolumes » Sun Dec 2, 2018 1:43 am

Lets see , took ball out Reggie hands. Less made Reggie more efficient.
Put the ball in Blake hands. Offense doesn't have to work as hard to get good looks because Blake often draws double-team.
Plays Bruce brown a second rd draft pick rookie. SVG didnt play lottery picks.
I would say Casey doing very well
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#33 » by DETermination » Sun Dec 2, 2018 2:45 am

Dwane is going to win back to back coach of the year
Detroit vs Everybody
DarkSyde
Junior

Post#34 » by DarkSyde » Sun Dec 2, 2018 2:47 am

COY
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#35 » by Mr Peanut » Sun Dec 2, 2018 3:22 am

davidvolumes wrote:Lets see , took ball out Reggie hands. Less made Reggie more efficient.
Put the ball in Blake hands. Offense doesn't have to work as hard to get good looks because Blake often draws double-team.
Plays Bruce brown a second rd draft pick rookie. SVG didnt play lottery picks.
I would say Casey doing very well

I agree with everything in your post but SVG did play Johnson 23MPG and Kennard 20MPG in their respective rookie seasons so I can't agree with that take. He didn't play Ellenson but Henry doesn't belong in any NBA rotation even in his 3rd year.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Post#36 » by Cowology » Sun Dec 2, 2018 4:16 am

The schemes and execution are mediocre... but the team is playing hard and unselfishly. I like it. I've spoken before about my belief in culture being the foundation upon which all sustainable success is built, regardless of vocation. Give me a good attitude and a good work ethic and we'll figure out the rest as we go.
DarkSyde
Junior

Post#37 » by DarkSyde » Sun Dec 2, 2018 4:29 am

Cowology wrote:The schemes and execution are mediocre... but the team is playing hard and unselfishly. I like it. I've spoken before about my belief in culture being the foundation upon which all sustainable success is built, regardless of vocation. Give me a good attitude and a good work ethic and we'll figure out the rest as we go.

Blake agrees with you. He's satisfied where they are at however, there is still more work that needs to be done to take it up another level or two. Playoffs is on a whole different level that's for sure.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#38 » by hoophabit » Sun Dec 2, 2018 2:07 pm

With the ever present caveat about staying healthy, Griffin's influence on the team appears very positive with a training camp and some time. Casey knows how he wants the team to play and just keeps pushing it. Players are responding well both in terms of attitude and effort. So far so good.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,105

Post#39 » by Kilo » Sun Dec 2, 2018 2:43 pm

Just gotta get Kennard confident and in the rotation mix, if not a starter.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,527

Post#40 » by ropjhk » Mon Dec 3, 2018 5:55 pm

I see Casey's strengths are coming through for the Pistons. Casey has never been a great game manager or that good at writing up plays, but I see that he has Detroit playing hard. That's the biggest contribution he made in Toronto. With maybe a few exceptions, Casey generally got his players to live up to their potential and play hard. Pair up Casey with some good assistants who can compensate for his weaknesses and you could have a COTY situation.

Return to Detroit Pistons