Pistons @ Wiz (2pm MLK game)

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,781

Re: Pistons @ Wiz (2pm MLK game) 

Post#21 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:15 am

MotownMadness wrote:I think Stefanski will try to sell. He’s got no type of connections to the roster and has to know how good a top pick could look on his part. Clearly keeps a good scouting department or something too after getting guys like Dillon Brooks, Khyri and Bruce our of the second round

Stefanski got the gig he got by convincing Gores that he's on board with Gores' vision for the team, which clearly doesn't include ripping things down.

You need a change of heart from Gores for something like this to unfold, I think.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#22 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:19 am

Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:I think Stefanski will try to sell. He’s got no type of connections to the roster and has to know how good a top pick could look on his part. Clearly keeps a good scouting department or something too after getting guys like Dillon Brooks, Khyri and Bruce our of the second round

Stefanski got the gig he got by convincing Gores that he's on board with Gores' vision for the team, which clearly doesn't include ripping things down.

You need a change of heart from Gores for something like this to unfold, I think.

I mean I don’t want to give Gores too much credit to think he even has a vision. Gores don’t know anything and as long as we keep Blake then I’m sure Stefanski can tell him what’s best for now anyways.

Could never see Gores agreeing to a process type rebuild but I could explain to a 7 year old the advantage of the 6th pick lottery odds over a 8th seed that’s looking unlikely anyways.

If Gores wants to win then I think they are trying to convince him why Drummond needs to be sold
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#23 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

I mean I don’t want to give Gores too much credit to think he even has a vision. Gores don’t know anything and as long as we keep Blake then I’m sure Stefanski can tell him what’s best for now anyways.

Could never see Gores agreeing to a process type rebuild but I could explain to a 7 year old the advantage of the 6th pick lottery odds over a 8th seed that’s getting harder to achieve now in almost February

Vision was probably the wrong word.

He wants to make the playoffs and promotes and desires moves that increase the likelyhood of that happening in the short term.

I think until this fundamental attitude of his changes all of this talk of selling is wishful thinking.

You say you could explain it to a 7 year old, but clearly over the better part of a decade Gores hasn't learned regardless of how easy you think it would be for him to learn. Not sure why one would suppose this year will magically be different.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#24 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:23 am

Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Stefanski got the gig he got by convincing Gores that he's on board with Gores' vision for the team, which clearly doesn't include ripping things down.

Could never see Gores agreeing to a process type rebuild but I could explain to a 7 year old the advantage of the 6th pick lottery odds over a 8th seed that’s getting harder to achieve now in almost February

He wants to make the playoffs and promotes and desires moves that increase the likelyhood of that happening in the short term.

I think until this fundamental attitude of his changes all of this talk of selling is wishful thinking.

You would think owning the team this long he would watch basketball now enough to know what’s best when it comes to the draft.

Like even if your not gonna gut the team you should still have enough sense to know what’s best when it gets to February and you suck ass.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#25 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:25 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: I mean I don’t want to give Gores too much credit to think he even has a vision. Gores don’t know anything and as long as we keep Blake then I’m sure Stefanski can tell him what’s best for now anyways.

You would think owning the team this long he would watch basketball now enough to know what’s best when it comes to the draft.

Like even if your not gonna gut the team you should still have enough since to know what’s best when it gets to February and you suck ass.

I absolutely agree. One would think so.

But evidence from the last several years suggests that he hasn't gotten the picture. Regardless of how clear it seems to be to us, it simply doesn't appear that the brass sees it this way. Actual evidence trumps "you would think it should be this way" every time.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#26 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:29 am

Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Vision was probably the wrong word.

Like even if your not gonna gut the team you should still have enough since to know what’s best when it gets to February and you suck ass.

But evidence from the last several years suggests that he hasn't gotten the picture.

Maybe to help fix parity in the NBA they need to screen guys better who are trying to purchase a team. If your just gonna let any business man buy a franchise without a basketball mind then it can get ugly.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#27 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:30 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: You would think owning the team this long he would watch basketball now enough to know what’s best when it comes to the draft.

But evidence from the last several years suggests that he hasn't gotten the picture.

Maybe to help fix parity in the NBA they need to screen guys better who are trying to purchase a team. If your just gonna let any business man buy a franchise without a basketball mind then it can get ugly.

Is the NBA all that concerned with parity?

It really doesn't appear so.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#28 » by bstein14 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:25 am

Its insane we're almost in February and we're a game away from having the 6th pick and two games away from the 8th seed. Each loss before the deadline has to be pushing us into being sellers (maybe even on Blake) but for some reason I don't feel like Casey or ownership has any intentions of going that route. Really need Luke to continue to get shots and playing time and hopefully be a positive impact player by next season.
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#29 » by bjones521 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:43 am

bstein14 wrote:Its insane we're almost in February and we're a game away from having the 6th pick and two games away from the 8th seed. Each loss before the deadline has to be pushing us into being sellers (maybe even on Blake) but for some reason I don't feel like Casey or ownership has any intentions of going that route. Really need Luke to continue to get shots and playing time and hopefully be a positive impact player by next season.

Thats why I want us to lose every game before the deadline. We CAN NOT trade our pick
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#30 » by vege » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:25 am

bjones521 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Its insane we're almost in February and we're a game away from having the 6th pick and two games away from the 8th seed. Each loss before the deadline has to be pushing us into being sellers (maybe even on Blake) but for some reason I don't feel like Casey or ownership has any intentions of going that route. Really need Luke to continue to get shots and playing time and hopefully be a positive impact player by next season.

Thats why I want us to lose every game before the deadline. We CAN NOT trade our pick

I honestly believe the more we lose, the bigger the chance our awful FO do something desperate and dumb. We will not be sellers and we will try to make the playoffs period. People need to understand that. Even if Blake get injured, we will not tank.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#31 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:59 am

vege wrote:
bjones521 wrote:

I honestly believe the more we lose, the bigger the chance our awful FO do something desperate and dumb. We will not be sellers and we will try to make the playoffs period. People need to understand that. Even if Blake get injured, we will not tank.

If Blakes not out there this team is toast. Easily on the same level as the knicks/cavs maybe less talent actually.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#32 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:59 pm

62 year old Casey, 67 year old Stefanski, and “make a splash” Gores aren’t tanking. Our only hope is making moves via trades that hopefully don’t negatively impact our future. We have to be looking for guys like Fultz and DSJ

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#33 » by Manocad » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:47 pm

Stop with the “The owner/management will or will not do X” stuff. No one in this forum has any clue what’s in the heads of Gores or Stefanski any more than anyone else unless you work for the team and are talking to them personally.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
pistonpat
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#34 » by pistonpat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:31 pm

Gores may go down as one of the worst owners we have had. He doesn't really understand basketball or the predicament his team has been in since he bought them. If you listen to his quotes, he has been very clear that he thinks this team is playoff worthy. ESPN reporters who have had access to front office in the last month, says the Pistons have been one of the most active teams and stupid enough to trade their first round pick again. It is pure lunacy.

As someone mentioned, he has basically hired yes men at the end of their career (SVG, Stefanski,etc..) who are handsomely paid to try and keep his playoff dream alive. These guys are just looking for their last big pay day and if an owner says he wants an 8th seed vs building for championship, you get this junk we have watched since Gores took over. As we all know, this strategy has delivered a decade of pain for Piston fans living in no man's land. As long as this is Gores mantra and his direct reports are paid too much to tell him the real truth, Piston fans will continue to live with inept management and decisions that will not align with winning a championship. Instead, we will be stuck where we have been for a decade, not willing to tank and winning meaningless games in March and April, but not good enough to rise anywhere higher than the 7/8th seed ( and being knocked out in the first round)

Take it for what it is worth, but someone who claims to have knowledge of why Gores is so stubborn on the 8th seed vs what every intelligent basketball person knows what should be done, is he plans to see the team in the next few years and feels the value is higher if the team is in the playoffs....
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#35 » by DCintheD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:50 pm

pistonpat wrote:Gores may go down as one of the worst owners we have had. He doesn't really understand basketball or the predicament his team has been in since he bought them. If you listen to his quotes, he has been very clear that he thinks this team is playoff worthy. ESPN reporters who have had access to front office in the last month, says the Pistons have been one of the most active teams and stupid enough to trade their first round pick again. It is pure lunacy.

As someone mentioned, he has basically hired yes men at the end of their career (SVG, Stefanski,etc..) who are handsomely paid to try and keep his playoff dream alive. These guys are just looking for their last big pay day and if an owner says he wants an 8th seed vs building for championship, you get this junk we have watched since Gores took over. As we all know, this strategy has delivered a decade of pain for Piston fans living in no man's land. As long as this is Gores mantra and his direct reports are paid too much to tell him the real truth, Piston fans will continue to live with inept management and decisions that will not align with winning a championship. Instead, we will be stuck where we have been for a decade, not willing to tank and winning meaningless games in March and April, but not good enough to rise anywhere higher than the 7/8th seed ( and being knocked out in the first round)

Take it for what it is worth, but someone who claims to have knowledge of why Gores is so stubborn on the 8th seed vs what every intelligent basketball person knows what should be done, is he plans to see the team in the next few years and feels the value is higher if the team is in the playoffs....

I want to cry.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#36 » by flow » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 pm

JohnReese wrote:Drummond+Jackson+Ellenson x Bazemore+Lin+Dedmon

Please!

Dedmon's a nice player. Can do a little bit of everything and plays hard.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#37 » by Billl » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 pm

DCintheD wrote:
pistonpat wrote:Gores may go down as one of the worst owners we have had. He doesn't really understand basketball or the predicament his team has been in since he bought them. If you listen to his quotes, he has been very clear that he thinks this team is playoff worthy. ESPN reporters who have had access to front office in the last month, says the Pistons have been one of the most active teams and stupid enough to trade their first round pick again. It is pure lunacy.

I want to cry.

The reality is actually sadder than that though. We haven't been a 7/8 seed in limbo for a decade. We've been a lottery team for a decade. At least perennial playoff teams have a decent talent base. They probably are stuck, but if they get 1 lucky draft pick or FA to add to their core, they can suddenly become competitive. It usually doesn't work, but at least there is a chance. If the pistons hit on 1 pick, we'd go from lottery limbo to playoff limbo. We'd still be looking for 4-5 more rotation players that could play winning basketball.

Return to Detroit Pistons