1 - horrendous
16%

Total votes: 37

ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Thoughts on the Season Thread 

Post#1 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:57 am

The seasons over ending in a 20+ point sweep. Blake played like a champ and no one else showed up. That being said, we saw glimpses of a decent team at times. All this without a real 3. How do you feel this season went? I’d say it was about a 3 for what I expected.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Re: Thoughts on the Season Thread 

Post#2 » by bstein14 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:03 am

Early summer I predicted we would be a 7th or 8th seed that gets swept, and that we would hire a coach like casey. So pretty much exactly what i thought. Next year, if NY lands Durant, we're likely a lottery team if we're still starting Dre and Reggie.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#3 » by Billl » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:04 am

It sucked, but it was exactly what I expected. Hover around 500 the whole time and fight for the final playoff spot. Get swept.

The only bright side is that the front office didn't do anything stupid. We didn't trade draft picks and we didn't commit any salary. Whenever Gores finally green lights a rebuild, we won't have any pick debts or long term contracts besides blake.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#4 » by DCintheD » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:09 am

Pathetic season but as some mentioned it was expected. Sad that the 2016 team that got swept had a ton more promise than this trash.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 306

Post#5 » by King Bugs » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:20 am

Complete waste of time.

We need a total teardown... yesterday.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#6 » by Spider156 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:35 am

It was a waste of time but at 500 and playoff appearance, I'd say it's a successful season. Issue is we're going nowhere. Everyone needs to get traded. It saddened me to see Drummond get exposed so much this series. Basically we have Jackson, Leuer, Galloway, and Smith all expiring next season. None of them should play another minute wearing a Pistons uniform. We have to cash those in for small contracts and picks, even second round picks. The year after that we have Drummond as an expiring. We have to wait another year for Drummond the same way we did for Jackson. Since we'll still have Blake and Dre, I'd take a swing at getting a star point guard (we'll have to get lucky without giving up a pick or Kennard.) After that we can absorb a large contract that a team will give this summer and maybe take a pick with it too. The year after that will be Blake as an expiring. Repeat. This is the ONLY way we stay competitive and rebuild. Because it saddens me to say, we're going to have to tank. This team is completely shook but it's not the end of the world. You don't need picks to get better (see nets).
Defense wins championships
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#7 » by The Moose » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:40 am

waste of time basically, and I cannot get behind the direction that Gores is leading the team
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#8 » by bstein14 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 am

The Moose wrote:waste of time basically, and I cannot get behind the direction that Gores is leading the team

I'd be happy if we traded Blake for Picks and expirings.... Traded Dre for expirings... waive everyone but Kennard, Brown, and Thomas.... and sign a bunch of young players to minimum deals.

Go into the 2020 summer with $100+ million in cap space and a top 4 draft pick, 2019 #15 pick and Kennard plus maybe some second round type players and whatever picks we got for Blake.

Full tear down would be ideal but Gores has no interest in it. You really only need to be real bad for one season, then you have max capspace and a top draft pick to try and start winning with.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:08 am

Eh, I'm not in the right frame of mind to answer this right now. Maybe tomorrow.
Shady_
Junior
And1: 521

Post#10 » by Shady_ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:10 am

bstein14 wrote:
The Moose wrote:waste of time basically, and I cannot get behind the direction that Gores is leading the team

I'd be happy if we traded Blake for Picks and expirings.... Traded Dre for expirings... waive everyone but Kennard, Brown, and Thomas.... and sign a bunch of young players to minimum deals.

Go into the 2020 summer with $100+ million in cap space and a top 4 draft pick, 2019 #15 pick and Kennard plus maybe some second round type players and whatever picks we got for Blake.

Full tear down would be ideal but Gores has no interest in it. You really only need to be real bad for one season, then you have max capspace and a top draft pick to try and start winning with.

This

Blake deserves to be on a contender, not wasting his time with us. By the time we're a contender ( if we ever become one which is very unlikely ) how old will Blake be???

We need to start our very own " trust the process" drafting young prospects and building a culture of toughness, playing hard and defense
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#11 » by vege » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 am

Short answer? Meh.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,069

Post#12 » by MrBigShot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 am

In one word: forgettable.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#13 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:33 am

Literally exactly what i expected around 500 and a fight for the 8 seed with a first round whooping if we make it.

The one thing that is scary about this season is our "big 3" was healthy through almost the entire reg season and we still only went 500. Going to have to repeat on health and make some wise free agent decisions to improve on the season.

I'm all for a rebuild obv but I honestly dont believe we do it till we get a new owner.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#14 » by whitehops » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 am

this season never really had much promise. our roster was locked in, we pretty much had no trade-able contracts except for bullock and ish, who were expiring contracts.

this offseason we have more chance of unloading contracts (reggie and galloway) because they are expiring to free up space but otherwise next offseason will be huge because we'll have reggie, galloway, leuer, maker, josh smith's dead cap hit and potentially drummond (if he declines his player option) coming off the books.

if drummond opts out of his deal for 2021, then we'd currently only have griffin, kennard and our two rooks this year on the books. there's a chance we can make moves this offseason to make next season a "moving forward" type of year but otherwise 2021 will be the true re-set for the team.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#15 » by El Chivo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:23 am

At least reality shut down some homers.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#16 » by MotownMadness » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:45 am

Definitely feels like a waste of time now but I was in a better mood before the playoffs and reality kicked in that we need big changes.

I guess with Blake on the roster it was more entertaining to watch but at the same time you know your never going anywhere besides in the average.

Some nights I do actually want to watch a good basketball game though cause hell I might die before the Pistons win another title for all I know and Blake helped provide that at times this year so props to him.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#17 » by dVs33 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:15 am

I enjoyed Blake's comeback. He was the lone bright spot to an otherwise meh season. We need a direction in the worst way going into next season

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#18 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:45 pm

Alright, first the positives:

1) Being proven wrong about Blake. I still have my views about the contract, the ceiling the team has with him, and the long term prognosis with the injuries. But I was wrong about him. I thought with no contract to play for, the losing situation, and the less than desirable market that he'd really fizzle out. He didn't. He never complained and he always played hard, and he had a good season.

2) Brief stretches. This team was fun to watch when the shots were falling.

Negatives:

Pretty much what we all knew going in. I don't really have much to say that hasn't been rehashed ad-nauseum. It's a poorly constructed roster with a lot of overpaid players that isn't set up well to win in the modern NBA. And most of the time we played like it. Regardless of the varying opinions on the quality of the coach, even if you like him he's the wrong coach for the direction we should be going in- rebuilding. Team feels like we don't have a viable plan going forward, and it's felt that way for a very long time now. I don't think anything really changed this year, and that's the negative.

And yet we all keep coming back. Always. Honestly being a fan of this team feels a little like being in a bad relationship sometimes.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#19 » by Manocad » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:01 pm

Exactly what I expected record-wise, but I voted for horrendous because of how painful the team made it.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,051

Post#20 » by Laimbeer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:08 am

From a fan entertainment standpoint? Good. Team direction? Bad, we should be rebuilding.

Return to Detroit Pistons