ImageImageImage

Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut?

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Snakebites

Who gets cut?

Joe Johnson
16
43%
Christian Wood
7
19%
Other
14
38%
 
Total votes: 37

User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,501
And1: 4,882
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#41 » by Snakebites » Wed Oct 2, 2019 5:10 pm

Drwho17 wrote:Blah, Joe Johnson signing makes no sense, of course neither did taking on the extra year of contract for Tony Snell, then dumping the return for him for useless future 2nd's that may convey. Anyways the correct answer is GET RID OF THON MAKER.

They might be hoping a trade comes along that allows them to keep both Wood and JJ.
User avatar
GreekAlex
Rookie
Posts: 1,182
And1: 417
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#42 » by GreekAlex » Wed Oct 2, 2019 6:43 pm

Drwho17 wrote:Blah, Joe Johnson signing makes no sense, of course neither did taking on the extra year of contract for Tony Snell, then dumping the return for him for useless future 2nd's that may convey. Anyways the correct answer is GET RID OF THON MAKER.


I don’t see a future on this team for Maker so it seems like such a waste continue to develop him this season at the expense of someone like Wood.

Thon wants to play for his next contract and I hope the Pistons aren’t dumb enough to give it to him.

Long bigs that have a little range aren’t as rare as they once were and despite his perceived draft potential, after seeing him play last season, I don’t see his best case scenario being more than a backup 5/6M per year player.
the_l_train
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,486
And1: 48
Joined: Jul 05, 2005
Location: G-Rap

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#43 » by the_l_train » Wed Oct 2, 2019 11:22 pm

Maker looks like a baby fawn out there sometimes, but at least he hustles and can hit threes. Somehow he weighs more than Wood.

I have a weird feeling Svi will be the odd-man out.
440BB
Sophomore
Posts: 123
And1: 75
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#44 » by 440BB » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:36 am

It feels like a battle between Svi and Khyri to me unless we can move Galloway.
DET_Athletics
Senior
Posts: 579
And1: 98
Joined: Dec 17, 2014
       

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#45 » by DET_Athletics » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:40 am

Canadafan wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:There’s been a lot of talk about who will get the last roster spot.

Get your vote in!

If you vote other, please specify in a post who will be cut if you believe it’s a different player.

Personally I’d like to keep both but if I had to choose one, I’d keep Wood. I really like what he brings as a three point shooting rim protector.

I’ve always thought there was no point in having “lame duck” players so I wish there was an opportunity for the Pistons to trade Langston Galloway & Thon Maker in a 2 for 1 deal to open up an extra roster spot. I don’t see either player on the team next season and I don’t think either player brings any intangibles that’s worth investing a roster spot for a full season.

Unless Thon Makers work in the off season and extra muscle has transformed his game, I don’t see anything he does better than Wood.


For Jae Crowder
For Robert Covington, Andre Roberson or Jay Crowder. And swap Thon for Svyi Mykhailiuk, we have too many wings.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Redeemed
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,517
And1: 415
Joined: Apr 06, 2012
     

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#46 » by Redeemed » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 am

GreekAlex wrote:There’s been a lot of talk about who will get the last roster spot.

Get your vote in!

If you vote other, please specify in a post who will be cut if you believe it’s a different player.

Personally I’d like to keep both but if I had to choose one, I’d keep Wood. I really like what he brings as a three point shooting rim protector.

I’ve always thought there was no point in having “lame duck” players so I wish there was an opportunity for the Pistons to trade Langston Galloway & Thon Maker in a 2 for 1 deal to open up an extra roster spot. I don’t see either player on the team next season and I don’t think either player brings any intangibles that’s worth investing a roster spot for a full season.

Unless Thon Makers work in the off season and extra muscle has transformed his game, I don’t see anything he does better than Wood.


It’s either Galloway or Thomas. Wood has earned not a spot but rotation minutes. ISO will end up being a part time get a bucket guy or someone you put in at the end of games as a decoy who can score.

I think Thomas is worth keeping and developing. His offensive game is way ahead of Bruce’s (my favorite current Piston) and his handle, size, and versatility gives him greater value than Gallo.

However even streaky, Galloway still looks like the better shooter from range. I believe if Thomas doesn’t get minutes in the remaining preseason games, the decision has been made.

If he plays and falters, he’ll cost himself the spot. The only thing that could save Thomas is if we pull off we find a way to deal Gallo for future picks and cash. Or package Gallo and Reg for someone.

Otherwise a really development player (Khyri Thomas) is going to lose his spot in favor of a streaky shooter with shaky handles who plays hard.
Canadafan
Starter
Posts: 2,306
And1: 673
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#47 » by Canadafan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:05 pm

DET_Athletics wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:There’s been a lot of talk about who will get the last roster spot.

Get your vote in!

If you vote other, please specify in a post who will be cut if you believe it’s a different player.

Personally I’d like to keep both but if I had to choose one, I’d keep Wood. I really like what he brings as a three point shooting rim protector.

I’ve always thought there was no point in having “lame duck” players so I wish there was an opportunity for the Pistons to trade Langston Galloway & Thon Maker in a 2 for 1 deal to open up an extra roster spot. I don’t see either player on the team next season and I don’t think either player brings any intangibles that’s worth investing a roster spot for a full season.

Unless Thon Makers work in the off season and extra muscle has transformed his game, I don’t see anything he does better than Wood.


For Jae Crowder
For Robert Covington, Andre Roberson or Jay Crowder. And swap Thon for Svyi Mykhailiuk, we have too many wings.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app


Covington would be amazing. Hard to pull off though
User avatar
tradez401
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,421
And1: 252
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
 

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#48 » by tradez401 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:18 pm

MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 26,758
And1: 14,502
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#49 » by MotownMadness » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:49 pm

tradez401 wrote:

Are you Everything King?
Invictus88
Pro Prospect
Posts: 971
And1: 266
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#50 » by Invictus88 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Johnson. He's still looked his age despite making a couple shots in limited minutes. If we are going to concede playing defense at the three (which is the reality of playing him) then I'd rather have us play 3 guards at the same time instead (RJ, DRose, and Kennard).

Wood is a strict upgrade from our backup C's in prior years (Zaza, boban, moreland) and can be had for peanuts. Keeping him is a no-brainer.

Ideally we find a way to dump galloway but I don't see a way to do it unless we completely waste the value of his expiring contract. (We want to get salary and a draft pick back in return).

I suppose we could dump thomas for nothing?

None of these options seem even close to better than just letting Iso Joe go.
User avatar
tradez401
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,421
And1: 252
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
 

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#51 » by tradez401 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:35 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
tradez401 wrote:

Are you Everything King?


naw just a supporter of his.
User avatar
tradez401
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,421
And1: 252
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
 

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#52 » by tradez401 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:36 pm

seems like khyri is the odd man out i just hope he dont become a contributor for another team if released.
440BB
Sophomore
Posts: 123
And1: 75
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#53 » by 440BB » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:23 am

It's tough for Khyri because Joe can contribute in specific offensive situations while Khyri doesn't have a role in the rotation unless someone gets hurt. I wonder how much the lack of scoring options last year comes in to the decision. Khyri makes more sense for the long term but Joe may be more help this season.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 26,758
And1: 14,502
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#54 » by MotownMadness » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:34 am

tradez401 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
tradez401 wrote:

Are you Everything King?


naw just a supporter of his.

Yeah ive seen a few of his videos, cool guy.
User avatar
ElectricMayhem
General Manager
Posts: 7,663
And1: 6,516
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Location: Kobe-Osaka
     

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#55 » by ElectricMayhem » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 am

Obviously Christian Wood should be a Piston this year. I just don't have any confidence in the Pistons front office making appropriate decisions.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.
El Chivo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,940
And1: 760
Joined: Jun 19, 2015
Location: Roma
       

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#56 » by El Chivo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:50 am

if they cut Khyri Thomas we hit the luxury tax?
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
kpt
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 54
Joined: Nov 06, 2018
       

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#57 » by kpt » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:47 pm

To my knowledge it has to be JJ or Wood being cut or we head to luxury tax. Please feel free to correct me if you are more in the know.
edmunder_prc
Junior
Posts: 291
And1: 155
Joined: Dec 06, 2015
   

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#58 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:47 pm

in the minutes Joe Johnson has played he looked scared, slow, and cant shoot. His defense also looks slow and timid. He has no upside, only downside. He brings nothing.

Wood can play the PF position and the C. He is a rim protector, etc.

At this point if Wood is dropped, we can only wait until this group of people are fired and hope the next group arent idiots. Its very hard to be a fan of poorly run organizations and the Pistons have been that since about mid-way Joe Dumars. Right about that Iverson trade, where the team leader in Billups was traded for washed up Iverson.
440BB
Sophomore
Posts: 123
And1: 75
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#59 » by 440BB » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:02 pm

At this point Wood would have to play himself off the roster IMO.
User avatar
DetroitPistons
RealGM
Posts: 15,756
And1: 3,153
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
Location: Michigan

Re: Wood, Johnson or Other... Who Gets Cut? 

Post#60 » by DetroitPistons » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Maybe I'm jumping the gun but I will be very surprised if Wood is not an NBA rotation player for the rest of his career. He is multi skilled, has good physical tools, has great energy, and has had a decent sample size to show what he can do. The eye test tells me he is going to be a solid rotation player and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being our 3rd best bench player just behind Rose and Kennard.

I will be absolutely livid if we don't keep him.
http://www.youtube.com/user/drcraigvideos
reasonablefaith.org - creationwiki.org
intelligentdesign.org - icr.org
answersingenesis.org - tektonics.org
drdino.com - evolutionfairytale.com

Return to Detroit Pistons