ImageImageImage

Your 2022 NBA Draft Prospect

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Re: Your 2022 NBA Draft Prospect 

Post#2561 » by whitehops » Fri May 20, 2022 7:37 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Seems like Ivey, Sharpe, Murray, Mathurin are the guys in the mix for 5. Obviously Sacramento's pick will factor in. I think Mathurin probably is the player type I'd be most excited to add to our backcourt.

obviously we want a secondary play maker next to cade and ivey has the potential to fill that role. what makes me feel better about murray and mathurin as consolation prizes are that they are great off-ball players. both are great at cutting, crashing offensive boards, shooting off screens, catching lobs, etc.

all three players would also make us more athletic. murray isn't a quick-twitch athlete like ivey and mathurin but he's a fluid athlete, definitely above average overall.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#2562 » by buzzkilloton » Fri May 20, 2022 7:44 pm

Jsindto wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:So did ESPN have Sharpe ranked ahead of guys like Wembanyama in next years draft?

Wembanyama has been #1 since at least last year, and I think Scoot Henderson has been #2 since last year. Before reclassifying, Sharpe was looked at as that #3 guy on the early 2023 boards.

Wembanyama definitely goes #1 this year, and Henderson probably does this year too. He's really, really good. Ultra absurd athletic point guard.

This class is going to be very good. Has big time stars at the top and its going to run deep. The Thompson twins and Nick Smith are legit to.

Hopefully we dont make any drastic free agent moves. Were likely going to add a raw rookie guard whos going to be a negative his first season. Shouldnt be to hard to get one more pick in that 7-11(obv want top4 luck) range which i feel is going to be good in this draft.
Jsindto
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#2563 » by Jsindto » Fri May 20, 2022 8:01 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Jsindto wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:So did ESPN have Sharpe ranked ahead of guys like Wembanyama in next years draft?

Wembanyama has been #1 since at least last year, and I think Scoot Henderson has been #2 since last year. Before reclassifying, Sharpe was looked at as that #3 guy on the early 2023 boards.

Wembanyama definitely goes #1 this year, and Henderson probably does this year too. He's really, really good. Ultra absurd athletic point guard.

This class is going to be very good. Has big time stars at the top and its going to run deep. The Thompson twins and Nick Smith are legit to.

Hopefully we dont make any drastic free agent moves. Were likely going to add a raw rookie guard whos going to be a negative his first season. Shouldnt be to hard to get one more pick in that 7-11(obv want top4 luck) range which i feel is going to be good in this draft.

There really shouldn't be a way to mess up this offseason. The only way is if you go after a big FA and they bust. But let's say they get Ayton, a 24 year future foundation of this team who ends up being great in Detroit, and it leads to Detroit being at pick #13 in a very good draft? Great! They got a great player in Ayton.

Let's say they do a slower build, just their draft class (say pick 5 and pick 11 in a trade for Grant), minimal FA maneuvering, and they are picking 7/8 in a very good draft? Great! They'll have one last bite at a high draft pick in a good draft before hopefully being a perennial playoff team if everything goes right starting the year after next.

I can only see Weaver messing it up if he goes all in for Ayton, and he's what some people think he might be: an above average player, not a great player, getting paid the MAX. Then that can hurt you.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#2564 » by buzzkilloton » Fri May 20, 2022 8:22 pm

Jsindto wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Jsindto wrote:Wembanyama has been #1 since at least last year, and I think Scoot Henderson has been #2 since last year. Before reclassifying, Sharpe was looked at as that #3 guy on the early 2023 boards.

There really shouldn't be a way to mess up this offseason. The only way is if you go after a big FA and they bust. But let's say they get Ayton, a 24 year future foundation of this team who ends up being great in Detroit, and it leads to Detroit being at pick #13 in a very good draft? Great! They got a great player in Ayton.

Let's say they do a slower build, just their draft class (say pick 5 and pick 11 in a trade for Grant), minimal FA maneuvering, and they are picking 7/8 in a very good draft? Great! They'll have one last bite at a high draft pick in a good draft before hopefully being a perennial playoff team if everything goes right starting the year after next.

I can only see Weaver messing it up if he goes all in for Ayton, and he's what some people think he might be: an above average player, not a great player, getting paid the MAX. Then that can hurt you.

I've got tons of thoughts on Ayton the player and centers in the Ayton thread so i dont want to go to into that.

Adding a player pushes us towards the 11 side of things I want to be picking as high as possible. One more lotto pick in a good draft and then a big addition. If we dont add anyone and we shock the world and hit the playin and Ivey/Sharpe wins rookie of the year I'll be ok. More then likely were adding big minutes to a player that needs a season and we need another year.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#2565 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri May 20, 2022 10:01 pm

I'm watching some keegan Murray game highlights right now. Things that stand out on the positive side: nice length, gets up pretty quick for rebounds or dunks, seems to have a high IQ / fundamentals, nice compact shot, can score a little inside and out. Honestly, not a whole lot of negatives other than he doesn't have many wow moments, isn't a super athlete, and not much of a playmaker. He kind of reminds me of Cade (obviously not the same level of prospect) in that he doesn't need to be an elite athlete to be productive. Also, I see shades of Al Horford in his game. I was a little worried he's the PF version of Saddiq Bey (in terms of high floor / lower ceiling), but I think he has a little higher upside than Bey. All that said, he isn't a sexy pick but I can see why he's projected mid lottery.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#2566 » by edmunder_prc » Fri May 20, 2022 11:49 pm

I think it goes

Jabari to ORL
Chet to OKC - they like unicorns and honestly OKC might tank yet another year. It doesnt make any sense to me, but they could tank forever until they get a Lebron type guy.

What does HOU do? Just pick Paolo because the bigs are top 3?

Lets say Paolo doesnt get picked by HOU, they want Ivey or someone else, who knows, do the Kings pick Paolo?

He could slide I think - or 1 of the bigs could be there at 5.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,977

Post#2567 » by tmorgan » Sat May 21, 2022 12:01 am

Getting Paolo at 5 would be an insane heist, but it can’t happen. If a top three team doesn’t want a big or Ivey, they’ll trade out with someone that does.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#2568 » by zeebneeb » Sat May 21, 2022 12:10 am

Moses ShamMoses wrote:I'm watching some keegan Murray game highlights right now. Things that stand out on the positive side: nice length, gets up pretty quick for rebounds or dunks, seems to have a high IQ / fundamentals, nice compact shot, can score a little inside and out. Honestly, not a whole lot of negatives other than he doesn't have many wow moments, isn't a super athlete, and not much of a playmaker. He kind of reminds me of Cade (obviously not the same level of prospect) in that he doesn't need to be an elite athlete to be productive. Also, I see shades of Al Horford in his game. I was a little worried he's the PF version of Saddiq Bey (in terms of high floor / lower ceiling), but I think he has a little higher upside than Bey. All that said, he isn't a sexy pick but I can see why he's projected mid lottery.
To the bolded, exactly. Murray has an all-around game like Horford. Post moves, three point shot, shot-blocker, handles are a bit better then Horfords, and can absolutely catch a lob. One thing to note, Murray is leagues better at rebounding then Grant, so if he replaces Grant in the starting lineup, I am 100% fine with that.

I'm still not convinced he'll be there at 5 though. The fit is just too perfect for Sacramento.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#2569 » by buzzkilloton » Sat May 21, 2022 12:47 am

tmorgan wrote:Getting Paolo at 5 would be an insane heist, but it can’t happen. If a top three team doesn’t want a big or Ivey, they’ll trade out with someone that does.

It makes no sense for him to fall. The best players available also fit the teams. The Rockets already have Green at the 2 why reach for Ivey/Sharpe?. OKC and Magic are guard heavy as well.

Yeah they could trade down i guess. I dont think it really makes sense if I were any of those young teams im just taking one of those guys happily. If they did want to trade down I hope they call Weaver we could work out a 3team deal and move Grant in it so we can get up in the top 3.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#2570 » by ComboGuardCity » Sat May 21, 2022 1:16 am

There’s always surprises and I think similar to last year there will be smoke screens driven by the media to drive clicks. Guarantee a tweet will come out this year saying, “For the first time since I can remember, the order go picks is unclear” that being said, someone in the top 4 is going to go off script. My guess is Mathurin goes Top 4
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#2571 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat May 21, 2022 2:51 am

Assuming the big 3 are gone, my order is:
1) Ivey
2) Sharpe
3) Mathurin
4) Murray

Of course, I know absolutely nothing about Sharpe. Those that watch him in workouts will be better positioned to make an informed decision.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#2572 » by MotownMadness » Sat May 21, 2022 5:39 am

So what do you think buzzkillington? Is Ivey gonna be best case realistic scenario at 5? Probably most potential if he's there.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#2573 » by buzzkilloton » Sat May 21, 2022 6:29 am

MotownMadness wrote:So what do you think buzzkillington? Is Ivey gonna be best case realistic scenario at 5? Probably most potential if he's there.

My big board. Edwards just put out a article and he said his sources are saying these are the four guys were choosing between fwiw.

4.Ivey
5.Sharpe
6.Mathurin
7.Murray

I think Ivey is the best case. Its just the athletic ability it makes him standout we shall see if he gets there. Actually I'm hearing alot of people say the Kings will take Ivey or trade the pick to someone who will because hes best available. I thought they would go Murray but who knows its early.

Sharpe has tons of upside as well. I know his first step isnt elite but he is long and ive seen enough film to know hes a legit big time shot maker. Not sure if thats where Weaver is gonna go but I believe he wont let any media know if he is the favorite.

Even if we get a Math or Murray I think both seem like there going to be pretty good players. They just dont feel like pick 5 kind of players. I didnt think Haliburton was a pick 7 kinda player either.

Who you hoping for? How you feeling about the spot?

Edit-
Honestly if I had to bet 1million dollars on who were getting I'd bet on Murray. I just think hes going to be a guy Weaver likes. I would think he takes Ivey over Murray though just my hunch.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#2574 » by vic » Sat May 21, 2022 10:10 am

At this point I'm not concerned about pick 5 I'm just figuring out a way to use Grant to get 7.

Portland needs a win-now forward for Dame. Only guy they can draft for that is Keegan.

Do we draft Keegan at 5? Does that force them to trade 7 for Grant?

Or does that force us to have to trade Grant, putting us in a weaker position to ask for 7?

Or do we draft Ivey/Sharpe, let the Pacers take Murray, which forces Portland to trade 7 for Grant, then we take Tari Eason to replace Grant instead of Murray?

I'm just trying to figure out how to get two picks.

Maybe that's why Weaver has publicly said he likes 7 guys in this draft... to signal to Portland that he's only interested in pick 7.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
gusman
Analyst
And1: 355

Post#2575 » by gusman » Sat May 21, 2022 11:33 am

If Tom Gores wants to sell any extra seats or get nationally televised games, Murray would be the wrong pick.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#2576 » by Pharaoh » Sat May 21, 2022 12:03 pm

gusman wrote:If Tom Gores wants to sell any extra seats or get nationally televised games, Murray would be the wrong pick.
Think you underestimate Murray.

The game and skills look the part but me being me I wanna know his mindset: is he Jimmy Butler level or yeah nah he's just gonna accept his spot in the league?

Same for all these kids.

Cade obviously has "it", Bey came into this past season looking to develop more than his 3 point stroke, Stewart improved too, even thr favourite whipping boy Hayes showed his potential on both ends of the floor.

Y'all racing back to mediocrity and I get that. I really do. Losing hurts.

Said it when Weaver was doing all his crazy **** and I'll repeat it now cause he said as much from day 1:

Weaver came here to restore this franchise.

Can we all just watch it and appreciate the effort it takes to turn this absolute joke around?

IF he succeeds or not it's actually irrelevant! We've sucked for too long.

Give this FO time to right the ship - by any means nessacary.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#2577 » by zeebneeb » Sat May 21, 2022 12:29 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
gusman wrote:If Tom Gores wants to sell any extra seats or get nationally televised games, Murray would be the wrong pick.
Think you underestimate Murray.

The game and skills look the part but me being me I wanna know his mindset: is he Jimmy Butler level or yeah nah he's just gonna accept his spot in the league?

Same for all these kids.

Cade obviously has "it", Bey came into this past season looking to develop more than his 3 point stroke, Stewart improved too, even thr favourite whipping boy Hayes showed his potential on both ends of the floor.

Y'all racing back to mediocrity and I get that. I really do. Losing hurts.

Said it when Weaver was doing all his crazy **** and I'll repeat it now cause he said as much from day 1:

Weaver came here to restore this franchise.

Can we all just watch it and appreciate the effort it takes to turn this absolute joke around?

IF he succeeds or not it's actually irrelevant! We've sucked for too long.

Give this FO time to right the ship - by any means nessacary.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Me and you tend to agree on a fair amount of points (save for timeline), and you nailed the "mindset".

Murray has obvious talent, but if he has a weaker mindset(Drummond), or a more passive mindset, he's going to be your average NBA player.

It's a delicate balance one has to look for, when drafting. Sometimes wanting to be the best, drifts into diva territory, and sometimes someone seeming passive ends up being misunderstood, when it's actually deep learning.

I'm tired of physical measurements, and talent being the main points, I want the mind included in evaluations of these young men, much the same way the military does it. Fine out what they are made of, for real.

Like you mentioned though, it's hard to determine exactly what "it" is, but you know "it" when you see it.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#2578 » by 440BB » Sat May 21, 2022 1:36 pm

I think Weaver is looking at the person as closely as the talent. The right attitude and drive should show up in his draft choices based on the past. I don't want to see any player on this roster with a questionable motor, regardless of talent.

Still recovering from the Drummond Syndrome.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,304

Post#2579 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:05 pm

Unless we're getting a top ten pick or a front court starter in a trade for Grant, I am not interested in drafting Murray really. I think Mathurin has that mentality we want on this team and potential to be a knockdown shooter, shut down man defender, and secondary playmaker, which is what I'd want next to Cade in the backcourt. I think Ivy is too dependent on athleticism and I worry he won't be effective off-ball. Sharpe is probably my second choice after Murray, but he's such an unknown.
ajoyce
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#2580 » by ajoyce » Sat May 21, 2022 3:11 pm

My ideal draft would see Blanchero fall to 4 and we make a move up one spot. But this is unlikely to happen. While I think Murray will have a good rookie year I just do not see the fit with Bey rostered. Should be an easy decision for Weaver. Just take Ivey or Sharpe at 5. Whichever player is there just grab them.

Return to Detroit Pistons