ImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderators: theBigLip, Cowology, dVs33, Snakebites

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,547

Re: Around the League 

Post#1901 » by bstein14 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:33 pm

Cowology wrote:This media rights deal for the NBA is bonkers. Sad that we won't' get anymore Inside the NBA after the 25' season. I'm torn on the Amazon thing. They obviously needed to tackled streaming rights issues and I'm not sad to see the NBA become more accessible, but Amazon swallowing everything up isn't exactly good.

I dunno what David Zaslav & WBD are doing. The rebrand to "Max" was a disaster and now he's punting the NBA.

Yup, CBA only allows 10% increases to cap but with that new deal it will go up 10% every year for a long time.

$141.0 million in 24-25
$155.1 in 25-26 (First year of Cade rookie Max extension)
$170.6 in 26-27
$187.7 in 27-28
$206.5 in 28-29
$227.1 in 29-30 (Last year of Cade rookie Max extension)
jars
Junior
And1: 61

Post#1902 » by jars » Thu May 23, 2024 4:03 am

bstein14 wrote:
Cowology wrote:This media rights deal for the NBA is bonkers. Sad that we won't' get anymore Inside the NBA after the 25' season. I'm torn on the Amazon thing. They obviously needed to tackled streaming rights issues and I'm not sad to see the NBA become more accessible, but Amazon swallowing everything up isn't exactly good.

I dunno what David Zaslav & WBD are doing. The rebrand to "Max" was a disaster and now he's punting the NBA.

Yup, CBA only allows 10% increases to cap but with that new deal it will go up 10% every year for a long time.

$141.0 million in 24-25
$170.6 in 26-27
$187.7 in 27-28
$206.5 in 28-29

Was this a change in the last CBA? IIRC there was a massive salary spike last media rights deal and thats how Noah, Mozgov and Mahinmi got boatloads, right?
bstein14
RealGM

Post#1903 » by bstein14 » Thu May 23, 2024 11:03 am

jars wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

$141.0 million in 24-25
$170.6 in 26-27
$187.7 in 27-28
$206.5 in 28-29

Was this a change in the last CBA? IIRC there was a massive salary spike last media rights deal and thats how Noah, Mozgov and Mahinmi got boatloads, right?

Yes, and if it wasn't the new TV could have reportedly caused a single year 40+% increase the year Cade would be getting his max deal so it likely would have cost a ton more on a Cade max if the cap jumped to $190 million range in 25-26.
Kalamazoo317
Analyst
And1: 1,753

Post#1904 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat May 25, 2024 11:25 pm

This, btw, should make trading for "large" existing contracts less painful, because they won't be looking nearly as large soon.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,995

Post#1905 » by Cowology » Sun May 26, 2024 12:52 am

Kyrie is such an enigma. I have big problems with some things he's said/done and I thought Dallas was a disaster waiting to happen. I'd never want him anywhere near my team.

But if you look at his current behavior, the guy is soooo impressive. Talent & physical gifts aside, Kyrie is a really really smart dude. He's incredibly articulate and a true student of the game. I'm super impressed everytime I hear him speak and I absolutely love how he's approached the game.

I kinda feel like he's making me like him, even though I don't want too.
Kalamazoo317
Analyst

Post#1906 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun May 26, 2024 4:50 pm

Well for the first time in a long time he's playing "the right way" and acting like a great teammate.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1907 » by Cowology » Mon Jun 3, 2024 6:07 pm

OT but I've been casually following WNBA this season and I don't get all the Caitlin Clark hate from other players. It's petty. She just out there trying to hoop and people going Jordan Rules on her as a rookie. SMH
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,985

Post#1908 » by Snakebites » Mon Jun 3, 2024 6:28 pm

Cowology wrote:OT but I've been casually following WNBA this season and I don't get all the Caitlin Clark hate from other players. It's petty. She just out there trying to hoop and people going Jordan Rules on her as a rookie. SMH

Lebron got similar resistance when he game into the league. Even from some of his own teammates IIRC.

It was stupid then and it’s stupid now.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#1909 » by bstein14 » Mon Jun 3, 2024 6:53 pm

Cowology wrote:OT but I've been casually following WNBA this season and I don't get all the Caitlin Clark hate from other players. It's petty. She just out there trying to hoop and people going Jordan Rules on her as a rookie. SMH

It's 100% a jealousy thing. They hate she's gotten so much attention, money, fame, etc. They are are to prove she ain't ****. The reality is, the better she does the better off the league is but 98% of opposing players don't seem to care about that at all.

The average WNBA salary is $116k and there are about 135 players so that means everyone in the entire league combined makes about $15.6 million and Caitlin Clark is going to make more than half of that amount in endorsements alone.

Nearly $4 million per year from Nike, $1 million from Panini, plus Gatorade, Wilson, State Farm, and about a dozen more. She's likely making close to $10 million between everything plus appearance fees, etc. And its deserved she is upping the value of the entire league.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1910 » by Snakebites » Mon Jun 3, 2024 7:10 pm

bstein14 wrote:

It's 100% a jealousy thing. They hate she's gotten so much attention, money, fame, etc. They are are to prove she ain't ****. The reality is, the better she does the better off the league is but 98% of opposing players don't seem to care about that at all.

The average WNBA salary is $116k and there are about 135 players so that means everyone in the entire league combined makes about $15.6 million and Caitlin Clark is going to make more than half of that amount in endorsements alone.

Nearly $4 million per year from Nike, $1 million from Panini, plus Gatorade, Wilson, State Farm, and about a dozen more. She's likely making close to $10 million between everything plus appearance fees, etc. And it’s deserved she is upping the value of the entire league.

Hopefully she elevates the league like those endorsement deals would suggest. If she does then in the long run player salaries will rise.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1911 » by Cowology » Mon Jun 3, 2024 7:20 pm

bstein14 wrote:

Nearly $4 million per year from Nike, $1 million from Panini, plus Gatorade, Wilson, State Farm, and about a dozen more. She's likely making close to $10 million between everything plus appearance fees, etc. And its deserved she is upping the value of the entire league.

Rookies around $80k which is just above the national median for household income. It's a decent salary compared to a lot of folks, but there is also a shelf life.

CC is going to put more money in everbodies pockets.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1912 » by Snakebites » Mon Jun 3, 2024 7:45 pm

Cowology wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

Rookies around $80k which is just above the national median for household income. It's a decent salary compared to a lot of folks, but there is also a shelf life.

CC is going to put more money in everbodies pockets.

The median salary doesn’t go as far as it used to unfortunately.

And yeah, it’s not a job you can do forever. Not sure what the average career length is in the WNBA.

Of course, they also get that for part of the year. There is earning potential in other months. They aren’t starving by any stretch but they need to have post-playing plans in most cases.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#1913 » by MortSahlfan » Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:55 pm

The Chicago Bulls are trading two-time All-Defensive guard Alex Caruso to the Oklahoma City Thunder for guard Josh Giddey, sources tell ESPN
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,146

Post#1914 » by theBigLip » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:16 pm

Great pickup for OKC
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#1915 » by MortSahlfan » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:22 pm

theBigLip wrote:Great pickup for OKC

Yeah, surprised Chicago couldn't snatch a pick from Presti's huge stash.. OKC definitely "won".. Hell of a defensive player, and defenses can't sag off him because Caruso can hit the 3.

Presti would be wise to package some picks and upgrade his team before all those young guys under 25 will want their payday and with this 2nd apron business prevents it from happening.
Kalamazoo317
Analyst

Post#1916 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:10 pm

Wish we’d make a similar trade with Ivey. Slightly older 3 and Dish player for our young, mildly disappointing high draft pick. Any 1-for-1s fit there?
jars
Junior
And1: 61

Post#1917 » by jars » Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:14 am

MortSahlfan wrote:

Yeah, surprised Chicago couldn't snatch a pick from Presti's huge stash.. OKC definitely "won".. Hell of a defensive player, and defenses can't sag off him because Caruso can hit the 3.

Presti would be wise to package some picks and upgrade his team before all those young guys under 25 will want their payday and with this 2nd apron business prevents it from happening.

Caruso is about to be an expiring, so I guess it is hard to demand a pick AND a young player. I think OKC won, but maybe not by that much and they have the upside of Giddey getting better
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#1918 » by MortSahlfan » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:29 am

jars wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:

Caruso is about to be an expiring, so I guess it is hard to demand a pick AND a young player. I think OKC won, but maybe not by that much and they have the upside of Giddey getting better

Ah, didn't know that. But I'm guessing they'd trade for him knowing they could re-sign him. He seems like a loyal guy who gave LA every chance to match Chicago's offer.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,789

Post#1919 » by oldncreaky » Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:54 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Wish we’d make a similar trade with Ivey. Slightly older 3 and Dish player for our young, mildly disappointing high draft pick. Any 1-for-1s fit there?

Giddey was the 5th best starter on OKC -- but on a team that won two thirds of its RS games

I suspect Giddey has a lot more value around the league than Ivey
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Kalamazoo317
Analyst

Post#1920 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:51 pm

oldncreaky wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Wish we’d make a similar trade with Ivey. Slightly older 3 and Dish player for our young, mildly disappointing high draft pick. Any 1-for-1s fit there?

Giddey was the 5th best starter on OKC -- but on a team that won two thirds of its RS games

I suspect Giddey has a lot more value around the league than Ivey

Sure. Is there a player a notch down from Caruso who'd make sense?

Though maybe it's unfair to judge most of our young players until we get a coach who gives a crap and a real defensive anchor at center (was too much to ask Duren to QB the defense last year, I think).

Return to Detroit Pistons