ImageImageImage

Svi traded for Diallo

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,253

Re: Svi traded for Diallo 

Post#21 » by thesack12 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:52 am

GBanga3 wrote:I mean everyone’s entitled to an opinion, but if you’re complaining about this please stop.

Svi stunk this year, poor defender, not a bad shot.
There’s guys here in Australia playing NBL that could step in and do a better job than him straight away.

Dudes possibly out of the league and back home in Euro soon enough.

Another great move by Weaver.

As I mentioned, I don't particularly care that Svi got moved, but man you should consider pumping the brakes on classifying this as a "great move." Diallo has just as much potential to wash out of the league as Svi does.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,068

Post#22 » by Snakebites » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:53 am

Confession time: I don't know anything about this guy.

I am not surprised Svi is being moved. I still had hope that he would get his shot back, but he hasn't been good this year.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#23 » by mattao313 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:54 am

GBanga3 wrote:I mean everyone’s entitled to an opinion, but if you’re complaining about this please stop.

There’s guys here in Australia playing NBL that could step in and do a better job than him straight away.

Sure Svi sucks but its not like Diallo is great so us giving a 2nd on top is a head scratcher. feels like we had to sweeten the deal for no reason.
Championships
thesack12
RealGM

Post#24 » by thesack12 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:55 am

GBanga3 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Stop complaining about 2nd round picks. They are used as trade filler all the time, and getting them back is easy as hell.

Examine the damn player swap. In that sense, it's impossible to know what the team is getting exactly, but in the end Svi was playing terribly, and the old gaurd is all but washed away now, something ALL of us wanted.

You're right they are used for filler all the time... With Detroit sending them out.

Its easy to say they are useless or easy to aquire right now, but I'll remember that on all these upcoming draft days when dudes start to fall down the board which will inevitably lead to numerous "I wish we had a 2nd to draft _______" posts.

I don't particularly care that Svi got moved, I just personally don't see the upside in this trade. Its a swap of meh to bad caliber players and both are free agents to be. To me its just a simple matter of Weaver bringing in one of his former draft picks with OKC, which on the surface is fine but nothing worth getting excited about, especially since Detroit is attaching an extra asset.

This method hasn’t let him down yet.

When has he brought in a former draft pick of his?

OKC didn't draft Grant, and if we are just talking former players in general the Justin Patton acquisition was pointless
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Post#25 » by zeebneeb » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:56 am

thesack12 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Stop complaining about 2nd round picks. They are used as trade filler all the time, and getting them back is easy as hell.

Examine the damn player swap. In that sense, it's impossible to know what the team is getting exactly, but in the end Svi was playing terribly, and the old gaurd is all but washed away now, something ALL of us wanted.

You're right they are used for filler all the time... With Detroit sending them out.

Its easy to say they are useless or easy to aquire right now, but I'll remember that on all these upcoming draft days when dudes start to fall down the board which will inevitably lead to numerous "I wish we had a 2nd to draft _______" posts.

I don't particularly care that Svi got moved, I just personally don't see the upside in this trade. Its a swap of meh to bad caliber players and both are free agents to be. To me its just a simple matter of Weaver bringing in one of his former draft picks with OKC, which on the surface is fine but nothing worth getting excited about, especially since Detroit is attaching an extra asset.
Then there is the difference between our ways of viewing the trade. I don't look at 2nd round picks as having any actual value. They have perceived value, as shown here, but in the end the overwhelming majority of 2nd round picks don't even land players that will end up sticking in the NBA.

If this player ends up being better then Svi, the trade is a win regardless if a 2nd was thrown in. I view 2nd round picks as facilitators;

Weaver-"How about this deal?" GM-"uhhh, not sure..." Weaver-"Ill throw in a 2nd round pick" GM-"Oh what the hell let's do it"

If anything, 2nd round picks should be called lottery picks, as the chances of finding a rotation player is low, and finding a star has similar odds as...winning the lottery.

1st round picks, and better players in a swap is all I care about, and so far Weavers track record on players he's brought in/drafted has been nothing short of amazing during his short tenure here in Detroit.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on a 2nd round pick.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#26 » by chrbal » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:58 am

1-trade isn’t official yet, so I’ll wait to see what other crap is involved.

I enjoy watching the groups of people complain that “2nds are worthless and svi sucks” suddenly jump to anger when we trade one and flip svi for one of weavers guy so , I’m guessing, we can have rfa status on a 22(?) year old wing who seems to be playing pretty good.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#27 » by thesack12 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:58 am

zeebneeb wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Then there is the difference between our ways of viewing the trade. I don't look at 2nd round picks as having any actual value. They have perceived value, as shown here, but in the end the overwhelming majority of 2nd round picks don't even land players that will end up sticking in the NBA.

If this player ends up being better then Svi, the trade is a win regardless if a 2nd was thrown in. I view 2nd round picks as facilitators;

Weaver-"How about this deal?" GM-"uhhh, not sure..." Weaver-"Ill throw in a 2nd round pick" GM-"Oh what the hell let's do it"

If anything, 2nd round picks should be called lottery picks, as the chances of finding a rotation player is low, and finding a star has similar odds as...winning the lottery.

1st round picks, and better players in a swap is all I care about, and so far Weavers track record on players he's brought in/drafted has been nothing short of amazing during his short tenure here in Detroit.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on a 2nd round pick.

Regardless of how its spun, its better to have 2nd rounders than not. Especially with this caliber of return.
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#28 » by DNice68 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:02 am

thesack12 wrote:

As I mentioned, I don't particularly care that Svi got moved, but man you should consider pumping the brakes on classifying this as a "great move." Diallo has just as much potential to wash out of the league as Svi does.

Diallo has actually improved every year and is only 22. Svi has been up and down. Diallo won’t be an All Star, but I’m inclined to believe he will be better than Svi.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#29 » by thesack12 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:08 am

DNice68 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Diallo has actually improved every year and is only 22. Svi has been up and down. Diallo won’t be an All Star, but I’m inclined to believe he will be better than Svi.

I mean yeah, Diallo isn't a terrible prospect. But like I said earlier, there isn't much to be excited about here other than the inherent initial curiosity/homerism that comes along with every new addition.

The question I have to ask is, why does OKC do this? As mentioned Svi is on a downward trajectory, Diallo will be a free agent so no contract concerns there, and they aren't looking to bring in a spot shooter to try and compete, and he's not blocking anybody's minutes. Either they like Svi as a reclamation project or they valued the distant 2nd round pick more than Diallo.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,451

Post#30 » by Han Solo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:10 am

Love, love, love this trade!
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#31 » by Phobo_Phile » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:10 am

Surprised to see some negativity towards this trade. Yeah it's low hanging fruit to say that Weaver doesn't take care about second rounders, but Diallo is legitimately a second rounder better than Svi. Especially with what's been shown this year.
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#32 » by Han Solo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:12 am

:cry:
Snakebites wrote:Confession time: I don't know anything about this guy.

I am not surprised Svi is being moved. I still had hope that he would get his shot back, but he hasn't been good this year.

He’s a baller. Can tell by half the posts in this thread most here haven’t watched him. He’s electric. For what we gave up, couldn’t be more excited about this.
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#33 » by Han Solo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:15 am

When Diallo has every Pistons fan in love with his game two months from now, this thread will be some more comedic gold.

Surprised any of you doubt Weaver’s ability to identify talent at this point too. He’s also had a front row seat for Diallo. So he knows exactly what he’s getting.

He’s going to be good here.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,332

Post#34 » by vege » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:16 am

DNice68 wrote:
vege wrote:Are we giving away a 2nd here? I'm confused, but not surprised if that's correct, Troy Weaver got robbed in every trade so far, this wouldn't be different.

I swear we have some dumbass fans!

We have some blind fans, that's for sure.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,283

Post#35 » by NYPiston » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:17 am

vege wrote:Are we giving away a 2nd here? I'm confused, but not surprised if that's correct, Troy Weaver got robbed in every trade so far, this wouldn't be different.

Diallo is a better player than Svi and it's a pick in 2027. Do you ever tire of being a miserable fan?

Others are complaining about the 2nd too? Jesus people, it's a 2027 2nd. Diallo has upside as an athletic wing or 2 guard, Svi had no future here.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#36 » by chrbal » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:19 am

thesack12 wrote:
DNice68 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I mean yeah, Diallo isn't a terrible prospect. But like I said earlier, there isn't much to be excited about here other than the inherent initial curiosity/homerism that comes along with every new addition.

The question I have to ask is, why does OKC do this? As mentioned Svi is on a downward trajectory, Diallo will be a free agent so no contract concerns there, and they aren't looking to bring in a spot shooter to try and compete, and he's not blocking anybody's minutes. Either they like Svi as a reclamation project or they valued the distant 2nd round pick more than Diallo.

Their weird obsession with collecting all the draft picks
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#37 » by mattao313 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:21 am

Why are people acting like Diallo is so great? he is like a Josh Jackson clone. Athletic guy who cant shoot with questionable bball IQ. Same tier as Svi who is a guy that can catch fire every once and a while.
Championships
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,548

Post#38 » by whitehops » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:26 am

thesack12 wrote:I don't particularly care that Svi got moved, I just personally don't see the upside in this trade. Its a swap of meh to bad caliber players and both are free agents to be. To me its just a simple matter of Weaver bringing in one of his former draft picks with OKC, which on the surface is fine but nothing worth getting excited about, especially since Detroit is attaching an extra asset.

the upside with diallo is that he has improved a decent amount from last season, whereas svi is trending the other way. diallo is creating more of his offense and scoring more efficiently, both good signs for his future development. he always had potential with his insane athleticism but now that he's starting to add skill/production to that athleticism he's the kind of "project" player we should be targeting. if diallo ever develops a shot he could be a good player.

obviously we'd have to retain him this off season but this way at least now he gets a ~35 game audition.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#39 » by Piston Pete » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:27 am

Watching a lot of OKC film tonight. Seems like OKC played him at SG mostly and let him run point from time to time.

I like him a lot more at point.

I wonder if we play him at PG a good amount of we are able to trade Delon.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,286

Post#40 » by MrBigShot » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:28 am

I know very little about Diallo so i'll reserve judgement on the trade until we see how it pans out. Svi has been pretty bad this year while Diallo seems to have improved and has more upside.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James

Return to Detroit Pistons