Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Re: Trade w/Utah 

Post#21 » by DetroitSho » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:44 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:Weaver is so bad. Fonteccio is meh, bad defender, can shoot but doesn't do much on offense and we gave up an almost late 1st for him and he will be a RFA next season, which means he will need to get paid.

Why do you say he is a bad defender?

First of all, Fontecchio can actually play; he’s not a star or anything, but he’s been a pretty solid 2-way wing this year. More importantly, the sense of trading a second-round pick and a halfway decent prospect in produce for him now, rather than signing him over the summer, is that he doesn’t have the same impact on their cap sheet.

He is a very bad defender, and an average offensive player. The only thing he is really good at is shooting.
Do you have actual metrics of him being a bad defender? Or are you watching Utah Jazz basketball on the regular or something?

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,439

Post#22 » by vege » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:48 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Why do you say he is a bad defender?

He is a very bad defender, and an average offensive player. The only thing he is really good at is shooting.
Do you have actual metrics of him being a bad defender? Or are you watching Utah Jazz basketball on the regular or something?

I watched a few games and yes, the numbers say he is as bad as Burks, which matches what I've watched.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,351

Post#23 » by Snakebites » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:54 pm

I do sorta wonder if this is a prelude to a Bogey trade.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,600

Post#24 » by whitehops » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:55 pm

vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
vege wrote:

I watched a few games and yes, the numbers say he is as bad as Burks, which matches what I've watched.

his defensive EPM is +0.2 which is 66th percentile. i'll admit i haven't seen him play much at all but that's a solid number for sure. knox was 29th percentile.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 520

Post#25 » by MortSahlfan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:55 pm

What's interesting is that the Celtics and Suns wanted him. I can't imagine they couldn't top our deal.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,538

Post#26 » by Canadafan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:56 pm

I gotta say, I'm happy we at least did something. Gives us some level of excitement since our seasons a write off
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,922

Post#27 » by eminence » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:57 pm

Hope y'all enjoy him, he's a bit stretched as a starter, but was a solid rotation forward for us in Utah this season.
I bought a boat.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,095

Post#28 » by mg » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:58 pm

He hustles, can shoot the 3, and is surprisingly pretty good at defending big wings. I think you guys will really like him but he's also a RFA this summer. Jazz needed to open the spot for Hendricks and won't have enough cap to resign all their guys this summer and extend Lauri. This is a much better option for Detroit than chasing a declining vet such as Tobias Harris. I thought some team such as Celtics would offer a FRP but they would've had trouble trying to resign him this summer.

Jazz fans aren't real thrilled but it makes sense.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#29 » by DetroitSho » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:59 pm

whitehops wrote:
vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Do you have actual metrics of him being a bad defender? Or are you watching Utah Jazz basketball on the regular or something?

his defensive EPM is +0.2 which is 66th percentile. i'll admit i haven't seen him play much at all but that's a solid number for sure. knox was 29th percentile.
Soooo, NOT what vege said, as usual? Gotcha.

El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#30 » by El Chivo » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:04 pm

Fontecchio is a decent defender and a smart player. I'm italian, so I'm quite thrilled about the italian connection in Det!
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,316

Post#31 » by GreekAlex » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:07 pm

El Chivo wrote:Fontecchio is a decent defender and a smart player. I'm italian, so I'm quite thrilled about the italian connection in Det!

Hopefully he’s everything that Gigi Datome wasn’t lol
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,273

Post#32 » by bstein14 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:09 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:What's interesting is that the Celtics and Suns wanted him. I can't imagine they couldn't top our deal.

Suns have no assets left, and the Celtics must not have wanted to give up a first for him. It's entirely possible he would just be a few month rental for a lot of teams because they might not want to pay him in a few months.
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 137

Post#33 » by AGE1207 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:11 pm

vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
vege wrote:

Not too sure what u have been watching though
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,498

Post#34 » by Billl » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:12 pm

meh. Haven't watched him a ton, but from what I saw he looks like a decent rotation player. He can knock down shots , and while not a stopper, seems to put an effort in defensively. Every team needs a stable of 6'7" guys who can hit 3's at this point. Honestly, I'm just thankful he's not a center at this point.

I'm sure we'll all read too much into this for the next 24 hours, but I don't see how he fits if Burk and Bogey are still here though. That's more a problem of our overall lack of multi-dimensional wings than a knock on him though.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,407

Post#35 » by flow » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:18 pm

Based on the Jazz board's reaction, he's better than most of what we have on our roster. I like the fact that they don't like the trade.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,541

Post#36 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:20 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say that Fontecchio is actually a pretty good defender, physical and puts in a lot of effort.

I've seen Woj and others say he'll be a RFA but in all the sites I've looked he's going to be a UFA in the end of this season so I'm actually unclear about his contract status. Until now I assumed he'd be a UFA when this season is over.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#37 » by bstein14 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:22 pm

One thing you can't deny, is that since he's been starting the Jazz have been playing well. He's been incredibly consistent in shooting from deep this season 39% to 42% depending on the month. In two games against us he averaged 16 PPG and 63% from deep so not a surprise that Weaver had some interest. I'd have to imagine that at worst he's a similar level player to Bey that would be willing to come off the bench and not expecting to be a starter... likely he's going to be better than that for us though.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,600

Post#38 » by whitehops » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:23 pm

i wonder how the logistics of the trade is going to work. we start a 5-game west coast trip today so i guess he'll be flying into portland tomorrow and meet up with the team? hopefully he'll be able to play saturday against the clippers.

my guess is stewart is out until the all star break so he should get some solid burn right off the bat.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#39 » by bstein14 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:24 pm

One thing is clear also is that its a mistake to just stick Ausar in the corner... especially when the game is on the line. Here's a guy you can have sitting at the three point line ready to catch and shoot.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,316

Post#40 » by GreekAlex » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:24 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say that Fontecchio is actually a pretty good defender, physical and puts in a lot of effort.

I've seen Woj and others say he'll be a RFA but in all the sites I've looked he's going to be a UFA in the end of this season so I'm actually unclear about his contract status. Until now I assumed he'd be a UFA when this season is over.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/simone-fontecchio-78654/#:~:text=Current%20Contract,annual%20average%20salary%20of%20%243%2C125%2C000.

This is where I’m getting the RFA from but it doesn’t completely make sense since he’s only played 2 seasons.

Return to Detroit Pistons