Free Agents

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Re: Free Agents 

Post#41 » by chrbal » Wed Aug 5, 2020 9:29 pm

LaSheed wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:My thoughts are that we avoid overpaying anyone in free agency. My main goal is to resign Wood. If we can get him to resign for Max amount allowed via bird rights and delay the signings to use cap space in salary dumps for first rounders would be my direction. I dont want the FVV types who would have to be overpaid to be brought here. I’d like Ball in the draft (if he falls) or Deni (he can be a good point forward player for this lineup). This team needs scoring/play making. I really want to build around the success of Christian Wood.

Building around Wood makes me nervous. Such a small sample size. Really wanna keep him around though.

100% with you on the max allowed bird rights and absorbing deals for assets.

Best way to go.

I don’t think we would building around him. It’s more like he has the potential to be a good 4 in the current nba. He’s young enough at 24. Teams were giving out similar per year deals last season to guys with lesser upside.

I just think if we can get him at 4 years and 60 million, it makes sense. 3 guaranteed and a 4th year option would be better, but not worth haggling over.

That all being said, I’m not passing on a certain player because I want to hang onto christian
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 485

Post#42 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 9:38 pm

chrbal wrote:
LaSheed wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:My thoughts are that we avoid overpaying anyone in free agency. My main goal is to resign Wood. If we can get him to resign for Max amount allowed via bird rights and delay the signings to use cap space in salary dumps for first rounders would be my direction. I dont want the FVV types who would have to be overpaid to be brought here. I’d like Ball in the draft (if he falls) or Deni (he can be a good point forward player for this lineup). This team needs scoring/play making. I really want to build around the success of Christian Wood.

There’s no current unrestricted free agent that I’m passing on resigning Wood for at this time.

Building around Wood makes me nervous. Such a small sample size. Really wanna keep him around though.

100% with you on the max allowed bird rights and absorbing deals for assets.

Best way to go.

I don’t think we would building around him. It’s more like he has the potential to be a good 4 in the current nba. He’s young enough at 24. Teams were giving out similar per year deals last season to guys with lesser upside.

I just think if we can get him at 4 years and 60 million, it makes sense. 3 guaranteed and a 4th year option would be better, but not worth haggling over.

That all being said, I’m not passing on a certain player because I want to hang onto christian
chrbal
RealGM

Post#43 » by chrbal » Wed Aug 5, 2020 10:55 pm

My post was so nice you didn’t need to add?
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,120

Post#44 » by Kilo » Wed Aug 5, 2020 10:57 pm

No interest in Chris Wood if he's going to try and leverage half a season into a 4 yr big money deal. He needs to bet on himself and prove it a couple more seasons. Sign a two year deal here for a couple million over MLE each year and then hit the FA market again when you're 26yrs old. I mean I don't begrudge the guy for chasing the biggest offer, but I hope it's not us if he is getting 80M offers over four years. He's never made that kind of money and the knock on his was his immaturity - guarantee somebody 80M with that knock is asking for trouble. Also signing two years here would get him about $23M over two at which point if he balls out like he believes he can he'd more than make up for the money he could be passing up now.

I could be way off but EBR's is 175% of previous years contract. If that is the case, it won't apply here as Chris will make more than 3M.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
chrbal
RealGM

Post#45 » by chrbal » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:13 am

I’m not saying it has to be 4 and $60 million, I just think that is about the cut off point. Knicks offer 4 and 80, I’ll post a Christian wood appreciation thread
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#46 » by jakebernat » Thu Aug 6, 2020 1:09 am

y’all are crazy. wood is a true unicorn and about to be a full-fledged star that just landed in our lap. pay the man.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,927

Post#47 » by theBigLip » Thu Aug 6, 2020 2:47 am

I like Wood but we can't overpay. We need Blake to be healthy and be tradeable before the deadline next season, and get expirings. And get something for Rose. At that point, our cap situation will be in great shape for the first time in many years. So this offseason, only short 1 year deals so we have space again next year. Keep letting young guys play. No reason to commit a lot of money to anyone right now unless we really believe a player like Wood will be worth 25-30M in a few years. I'm not so sure about that.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,975

Post#48 » by MotownMadness » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:01 am

jakebernat wrote:y’all are crazy. wood is a true unicorn and about to be a full-fledged star that just landed in our lap. pay the man.

Yeah no kidding, dude completely destroys anything in his path at the rim and has smooth 3 point shot.

He's young to where it would it would be like having a successful draft pick play at a Allstar level and letting him go after his rookie contract.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,975

Post#49 » by MotownMadness » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:04 am

theBigLip wrote:I like Wood but we can't overpay. We need Blake to be healthy and be tradeable before the deadline next season, and get expirings. And get something for Rose. At that point, our cap situation will be in great shape for the first time in many years. So this offseason, only short 1 year deals so we have space again next year. Keep letting young guys play. No reason to commit a lot of money to anyone right now unless we really believe a player like Wood will be worth 25-30M in a few years. I'm not so sure about that.

If he plays like he did as a starter then he's definitely getting that type of cash. His impact is pretty high as a starter in alot of advanced and raw stats.

Plus his PER36 has suggested this level of play ever since he's entered the league so I dont think it's a fluke.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,927

Post#50 » by theBigLip » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:16 am

MotownMadness wrote:
theBigLip wrote:I like Wood but we can't overpay. We need Blake to be healthy and be tradeable before the deadline next season, and get expirings. And get something for Rose. At that point, our cap situation will be in great shape for the first time in many years. So this offseason, only short 1 year deals so we have space again next year. Keep letting young guys play. No reason to commit a lot of money to anyone right now unless we really believe a player like Wood will be worth 25-30M in a few years. I'm not so sure about that.

If he plays like he did as a starter then he's definitely getting that type of cash. His impact is pretty high as a starter in alot of advanced and raw stats.

Plus his PER36 has suggested this level of play ever since he's entered the league so I dont think it's a fluke.

I guess it depends on what we can get him for. Good thing is the cap is down so we shouldn't have to bid against too many teams.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,571

Post#51 » by Pharaoh » Thu Aug 6, 2020 5:13 am

Think we keep Wood on a reasonable deal given what the cap situation is likely to be around the league.

We don't have a lot of young talent and really can't afford to let him go.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,620

Post#52 » by pistonsbball » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:59 pm

If we let Wood walk we'd just spend the next 5 years trying to draft a rim-running, smooth moving, shot blocking, 3pt shooting big man.

Don't overthink it! The consequences aren't grave if we pay and he doesn't come to play.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,391

Post#53 » by flow » Sun Aug 9, 2020 5:15 pm

Read on Twitter

When you're looking to sell off and rebuild, these are the type of free agent signings to pursue. Cheap; under the radar; maybe get lucky, but if not, oh well.

chrbal
RealGM

Post#54 » by chrbal » Sun Aug 9, 2020 6:31 pm

Joe young seems to much like a jimmer type. Might make more sense for a team closer to really competing
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,571

Post#55 » by Pharaoh » Sun Aug 9, 2020 9:30 pm

I'd take a run at him. If he fails then such is life but he's worth a shot

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,993

Post#56 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:37 pm

Any thoughts on Hartenstein?
chrbal
RealGM

Post#57 » by chrbal » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:30 pm

I feel like he can make it in the nba as a depth center. I just feel with Patton, we already have a camp invite big with better upside.

They are both kind of at the same level, so kind of redundant to have both try out
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 487

Post#58 » by Crymson » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:49 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:Any thoughts on Hartenstein?

Cannot stretch the floor, cannot defend the rim, poor overall on defense, not athletic by NBA standards. Pass. That roster spot would be better used on a player with more upside.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,620

Post#59 » by pistonsbball » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:53 pm

Torrey Craig would be a pretty good signing. Plays hard and can get after it on defense with Bruce Brown. He's the kind of player that could help establish some sort of culture.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,201

Post#60 » by bstein14 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 pm

FVV Killed it in game 1 of the playoffs today. He's going to play himself into a big contract and I've got a feeling its going to be the Pistons that give him $100+ million contract.

Return to Detroit Pistons