ImageImageImage

2023-2024 Rotation/Minutes

Moderators: theBigLip, Cowology, dVs33, Snakebites

Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,620

Re: 2023-2024 Rotation/Minutes 

Post#81 » by Canadafan » Tue Jul 4, 2023 2:46 pm

Kilo wrote:My fear with Tobais is that he'll want an extension if traded anywhere. And probably at his current number.

Ya true. Or maybe coming to us he'll realize he'll be more featured in our offense. Gets us out of Bagley deal. And gets him a better contract next year in free agency
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#82 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Jul 4, 2023 2:49 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Is Ausar that much of a project as a 5th overall pick at 20 years old that he’ll be fighting for playing time?

Jaden Ivey is only a year older than him and he was immediately anointed a starter (which was the right decision) and averaged over 31 mpg.

Ausar will play- my money is on him starting.

To me you might draft a player the age Duren was with the expectation he doesn’t play much right away. But if you’re drafting a 20 year old who’s already been in a professional league you expect him to step in and play.

I'm mostly with you, but I wouldn't call Overtime Elite experience a compelling part of your argument. There are 15 year olds in that "professional" league right now and you wouldn't expect them to start if they were draft eligible. They may get paid, thus being technically professional, but it's a glorified prep league, IMO.

I thought he dominated 16-yr olds... 15?
As long as he's a Top 5 player in the regular season, I'll be happy.
Kalamazoo317
Analyst
And1: 1,753

Post#83 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 2:57 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Ausar will play- my money is on him starting.

To me you might draft a player the age Duren was with the expectation he doesn’t play much right away. But if you’re drafting a 20 year old who’s already been in a professional league you expect him to step in and play.

I'm mostly with you, but I wouldn't call Overtime Elite experience a compelling part of your argument. There are 15 year olds in that "professional" league right now and you wouldn't expect them to start if they were draft eligible. They may get paid, thus being technically professional, but it's a glorified prep league, IMO.

My bad. Looks like the minimum age of players is 16. Still, I'd argue the difference between 15 and 16 is way smaller than the difference between 16 and 20!
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 22,229

Post#84 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jul 4, 2023 3:11 pm

Canadafan wrote:Would you guys do Bojan+Bagley+Hayes for Tobias? Gets us insane cap space for next summer. Evens out our roster.

Duren Wiseman
Tobias Stew
Ausar Harris
Ivey Burks
Cade Morris

Or maybe Instead of Killian we give them Burks. So we don't guge up on ol Killa. Then use our $7.2 exception to sign a forward.

Duren 30 Wiseman 18
Tobias 30 Stew 18
?30 Ausar 18
Ivey 30 Harris 18
Cade30 Morris 18

Kelly Oubre Jr and Matisse Thybulle are available

Don't know how to really feel about it one way or another. Your lineup certainly looks better and it does get rid of Bagley.

I wouldn't include Burks though
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#85 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Jul 4, 2023 3:13 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:

My bad. Looks like the minimum age of players is 16. Still, I'd argue the difference between 15 and 16 is way smaller than the difference between 16 and 20!

The Thompson Twins were picked 4 and 5, so I'm not that worried. I'm a guy who never saw Overtime Elite, but I've seen the disparity when guys go to another league. There's 40-yr old players from the NBA who were bench guys, who now average 40 ppg. Looking at Ausar, I think he's way too skinny. If he can defend, I'll be satisfied. Weaver says he's a better shooter than his numbers show. It seems like the minute a guy leaves Detroit, they become better shooters. But it's been like this for a long time.
TPA
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#86 » by TPA » Tue Jul 4, 2023 3:16 pm

Canadafan wrote:Would you guys do Bojan+Bagley+Hayes for Tobias? Gets us insane cap space for next summer. Evens out our roster.

Duren Wiseman
Tobias Stew
Ausar Harris
Ivey Burks
Cade Morris

Or maybe Instead of Killian we give them Burks. So we don't guge up on ol Killa. Then use our $7.2 exception to sign a forward.

Duren 30 Wiseman 18
Tobias 30 Stew 18
?30 Ausar 18
Ivey 30 Harris 18
Cade30 Morris 18

Kelly Oubre Jr and Matisse Thybulle are available

I could go either way, on either package you propose. While I would like to see what Stewart and Livers can give us at the 4 this year, I think the team would be better this year with Tobias there, and Stew could fill in backup minutes at the 5. We'd still have pretty good outside shooting and spacing, but we'd lose a lot of depth with the departure of Burks and Bojan. But we'd also open more minutes for Sasser, Monte, and Joe Harris, and by my calculation, we'd gain an extra 14 mil next off-season (with Tobias expiring, getting rid of Bagley's last year, and the 2 mil minimum owed to Bojan (19 mil contract with only 2 guaranteed for 24')).
I don't think it's a necessary move. And we'd probably be missing out on a better return for trading the contracts of Bojan and Burks, since Tobias is probably just a rental (although, he is probably flippable as well, mid-season). On the other hand, the team would likely be more balanced and competitive and REALLY push for a play-in, and there is a lot to be said for establishing that winning culture and expectation, moving forward.

Duren 30 Stewart 12 Wiseman 6
Tobias 24 Stew 18
Ausar 24 Tobias 8 J Harris 16
Ivey 30 J Harris 6 Sasser 12
Cade 30 Morris 18
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,146

Post#87 » by theBigLip » Tue Jul 4, 2023 3:50 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:

Yikes. I had no idea that the age limit was so low.
Kalamazoo317
Analyst

Post#88 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 3:58 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:

The Thompson Twins were picked 4 and 5, so I'm not that worried. I'm a guy who never saw Overtime Elite, but I've seen the disparity when guys go to another league. There's 40-yr old players from the NBA who were bench guys, who now average 40 ppg. Looking at Ausar, I think he's way too skinny. If he can defend, I'll be satisfied. Weaver says he's a better shooter than his numbers show. It seems like the minute a guy leaves Detroit, they become better shooters. But it's been like this for a long time.

I don't understand why their draft position would make you less worried? NBA draft history is littered with examples of busts in the top 5.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#89 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Jul 4, 2023 4:54 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:

I don't understand why their draft position would make you less worried? NBA draft history is littered with examples of busts in the top 5.

True, but I'd be more worried If Pistons drafted Ausar, and then his brother isn't drafted until 27... I'm the guy who wanted us to pick the safe guy - Haliburton, etc.. Give me "high floor" any day. There's no guarantee on the future, and will take a guy who can play now. But, if you're a contending team, then you can and should take a chance, since they won't play much anyway. I just wish he took Wade :)
Sort
Rookie
And1: 470

Post#90 » by Sort » Tue Jul 4, 2023 5:36 pm

I just don't see Ausar being a bust. Look, if his shot was as broken as Hayes, then yeah, chances are his time in the league will be short no matter the other benefits - we all have seen Dialo's career arc. But when you're evaluating a young person, you're not looking overall, but at their growth, and Ausar has gotten better, and unless he's injury prone or has a bad injury that takes away his athleticism and commitment on defense, his floor is relatively safe. And every person with a "high floor" does not turn into Haliburton. He's special.

From what I have seen of Ausar, he also doesn't flash his athleticism into highlight reel dunks or cuts. And if you don't showboat it, I'm not sure how seriously folks take it in the age of social media. It will be fun to see without him having to do too much.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#91 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Jul 4, 2023 6:05 pm

Watch Hamidou go to Denver (or some other contender) and win a title with them.. Just like Bruce Brown - same things were said about him by so many I know, especially most on Pistons.com

Diallo does almost EVERYTHING. So he doesn't shoot 3's. He did just fine going to the rim, using his athleticism, nice short jumper, quickness, even when he was the 2nd option when all our guys had COVID - still scored an efficient 30-something. He barely played, and still was a help. His hustle rubbed off on other guys.

There are stars who choke in those playoffs - over and over (but still get max or near max contracts). Shooting an abysmal 3-pt (and overall %) and not playing a lick of defense, or doing anything else, but hurting your team.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,449

Post#92 » by mattao313 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 6:51 pm

Sort wrote:I just don't see Ausar being a bust. Look, if his shot was as broken as Hayes, then yeah, chances are his time in the league will be short no matter the other benefits - we all have seen Dialo's career arc. But when you're evaluating a young person, you're not looking overall, but at their growth, and Ausar has gotten better, and unless he's injury prone or has a bad injury that takes away his athleticism and commitment on defense, his floor is relatively safe. And every person with a "high floor" does not turn into Haliburton. He's special.

From what I have seen of Ausar, he also doesn't flash his athleticism into highlight reel dunks or cuts. And if you don't showboat it, I'm not sure how seriously folks take it in the age of social media. It will be fun to see without him having to do too much.
His shot is broken though bad percentages from 3pt, midrange, and fts.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Kalamazoo317
Analyst

Post#93 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 8:27 pm

Diallo would shine on Denver for sure
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#94 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Jul 4, 2023 10:48 pm

I can't believe Bagley and Wiseman are our highest paid players after Bogie.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,998

Post#95 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 4, 2023 10:54 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Sort wrote:I just don't see Ausar being a bust. Look, if his shot was as broken as Hayes, then yeah, chances are his time in the league will be short no matter the other benefits - we all have seen Dialo's career arc. But when you're evaluating a young person, you're not looking overall, but at their growth, and Ausar has gotten better, and unless he's injury prone or has a bad injury that takes away his athleticism and commitment on defense, his floor is relatively safe. And every person with a "high floor" does not turn into Haliburton. He's special.

When one says that a shot is “broken” they’re referring to the mechanics of the shot.

Someone with bad mechanics is historically less likely to improve with experience.

So demonstrating he has poor percentages (which anyone can see) does not establish his shot is broken.

Sound mechanics don’t guarantee that a bad shooter will improve, but they do give hope.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,449

Post#96 » by mattao313 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 11:00 pm

Snakebites wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

When one says that a shot is “broken” they’re referring to the mechanics of the shot.

Someone with bad mechanics is historically less likely to improve with experience.

So demonstrating he has poor percentages (which anyone can see) does not establish his shot is broken.

Sound mechanics don’t guarantee that a bad shooter will improve, but they do give hope.
Yeah I don't see it that way form is gonna make me feel better about someone's shot if they have terrible percentages across the board.

Championships
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,998

Post#97 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 4, 2023 11:02 pm

mattao313 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
mattao313 wrote:His shot is broken though bad percentages from 3pt, midrange, and fts.

Yeah I don't see it that way form is gonna make me feel better about someone's shot if they have terrible percentages across the board.

Yeah, like I said you can have faith he’ll improve as a shooter or you can not- there is some historical precedent for it, my point was more to clarify what a “broken shot” actually means and that it tends to be a negative indicator.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#98 » by MortSahlfan » Wed Jul 5, 2023 12:27 am

I've seen more guys improve their 3-pt shot than their defense. Diallo averaged about 10ppg shooting 50% in limited minutes. Hustle, defense, toughness, edge, and a good teammate, even when he was out of the rotation. Not everything has a stat.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#99 » by MortSahlfan » Wed Jul 5, 2023 8:52 pm

I wonder if we would trade Bojan after signing him to an extension.

"External trade interest in Detroit’s Bojan Bogdanovic remains high, while the Pistons continue to insist that they are motivated to keep the veteran swingman. The Pistons’ stance is routinely dismissed as posturing, but they certainly held firm at the trade deadline in February after months’ worth of trade offers came in for the Croatian swingman. 3 hours ago – via Marc Stein"
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 22,229

Post#100 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 5, 2023 9:48 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:I wonder if we would trade Bojan after signing him to an extension.

"External trade interest in Detroit’s Bojan Bogdanovic remains high, while the Pistons continue to insist that they are motivated to keep the veteran swingman. The Pistons’ stance is routinely dismissed as posturing, but they certainly held firm at the trade deadline in February after months’ worth of trade offers came in for the Croatian swingman. 3 hours ago – via Marc Stein"

Bojan is still valuable to us as a scorer so if were getting offers like bad 2nd rounders or teams are wanting us to take a bad contract for a crappy 1st then i get it.

Hard to know how bad teams are trying to low ball us

Return to Detroit Pistons