Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,766

Re: Miles Bridges - trade deadline version 

Post#81 » by Invictus88 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 5:15 pm

theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:Not sure why we have a big Ivey discussion in a Miles Bridges thread, but oh well…

Ivey is 21 years old. He has great athletic skills. Who peaks at 21 in this league? He’s going to get better. Very silly to trade him away and he hasn’t even played a season and a half in the league. SMH

He turns 22 in 10 days. The entire point of selling now with a high lotto pick is the unknown ceiling factor providing extra value back in a trade. Players with high draft capital automatically have some extra value on the market early due to unknown ceiling and rookie contract value. When you wait until year 4 to "see what he develops into" the player is off their rookie contract and its much more obv of what the true value of said player will be.

We should of traded Drummond at 22 he had tons of value. We should of traded Bey after year one he had tons of value. Should of cashed out Killian right away too his value dropped consistently to zero.

Combo guards who cant 3 or D at high levels rarely ever turn into players that are key pieces of a title roster. If Ivey was a more premium archetype like a 3+D wing I wouldnt be interested in moving him.

Edit-

Also gotta factor in the head coach doesnt even seem to like Ivey. People can say "fire Monty"' all they want but chances are hes gonna be here at least 2-3 years with the contract he just landed. That was Gores guy he went all in to get him. Best to get some players your very highly paid coach likes on the team to give everyone the best chance at success.

It’s easy to look back and say we should have sold high on everyone. Knowing when the peak is is the challenge. Middleton and Dinwiddie are examples of letting go too soon. This is like saying I should be a multimillionaire if I just knew when to buy and sell those stocks :lol:

I’d much rather hold on too long than too short. These guys are inexpensive and should get better. Unless you get some crazy offer, better to keep them.

At least in terms of Bogey and Burks it really wasn't difficult at all to know when to sell high. We knew last trade deadline and we know now.

It's more difficult with Ivey or other young prospects as you've mentioned though.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,310

Post#82 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:54 am

He’s really playing well lately. After a 41 point game against the Lakers on 61.5% shooting and 50% from deep, tonight he’s got 36 through 3 quarters on 14-17 shooting & 5-7 from 3 with 5 boards and 7 assists.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,414

Post#83 » by mattao313 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:01 am

He should be the #1 target this off-season

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#84 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:09 am

mattao313 wrote:He should be the #1 target this off-season

He’s the most realistic target with the highest upside and he’s the perfect age.

I think that we can get him for a reasonable contract considering his baggage and the teams that won’t pursue him.
mattao313
General Manager

Post#85 » by mattao313 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:32 am

GreekAlex wrote:

He’s the most realistic target with the highest upside and he’s the perfect age.

I think that we can get him for a reasonable contract considering his baggage and the teams that won’t pursue him.
Yup the fit on court is just too good we need to be on his heels as soon as the off-season kicks off

Championships
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,384

Post#86 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:38 am

mattao313 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Yup the fit on court is just too good we need to be on his heels as soon as the off-season kicks off

Hes playing at a level that may cost us big money still. That said in normal circumstances this type of talent would never even hit the market. Us being his home state, off court problems, and having the cap is going to give us the lead in landing him. I'm willing to spend whatever it takes.

My only concern is that Weaver always preaches "how he wants good people first" blablabla. We need a GM who is willing to do what it takes to win.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#87 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:40 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Hes playing at a level that may cost us big money still. That said in normal circumstances this type of talent would never even hit the market. Us being his home state, off court problems, and having the cap is going to give us the lead in landing him. I'm willing to spend whatever it takes.

My only concern is that Weaver always preaches "how he wants good people first" blablabla. We need a GM who is willing to do what it takes to win.

What other teams can and will make him a significant offer?
mattao313
General Manager

Post#88 » by mattao313 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:40 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Yeah I'm worried about that too but I think Weaver is desperate enough to throw that good people talk out the window to keep his job.

Championships
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,384

Post#89 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:47 am

GreekAlex wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Yup the fit on court is just too good we need to be on his heels as soon as the off-season kicks off

What other teams can and will make him a significant offer?

I'm not certain today. Talent wise hes surely a player another team may adjust their cap space for though this summer if their interested.

He likes Michigan though from Flint chose MSU when he could of went anywhere as 8th overall recruit. We should be the favs to get him if Weaver mans up.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,333

Post#90 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:00 pm

WOJ says he’s not getting traded, and also seems to think there would be mutual interest in him re-signing there.

For what it’s worth.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,649

Post#91 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:02 pm

Snakebites wrote:WOJ says he’s not getting traded, and also seems to think there would be mutual interest in him re-signing there.

For what it’s worth.

I think Charlotte probably realizes they’ll get more in a sign and trade than they would now because of the bird rights issues (?) that come up when a guy playing on the QO gets traded (as I understand it).
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,333

Post#92 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:04 pm

BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:WOJ says he’s not getting traded, and also seems to think there would be mutual interest in him re-signing there.

For what it’s worth.

I think Charlotte probably realizes they’ll get more in a sign and trade than they would now.

That’s not what Woj said though. He said Miles likes playing with Clifford and they think he can be an all star level guy with them.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,649

Post#93 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:07 pm

Snakebites wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

For what it’s worth.

I think Charlotte probably realizes they’ll get more in a sign and trade than they would now.

That’s not what Woj said though. He said Miles likes playing with Clifford and they think he can be an all star level guy with them.

Could be. Or they could be trying to juice his value by saying they don’t want to move him.

I never understood really why he was automatically going to leave anyways, as seemed to be the narrative. They already took the PR hit in bringing him back and playing him and he fits pretty well with the Lamelo, Miller, and Williams core (Other than the off the court influence on young guys potentially).
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#94 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Looks like he’ll have to be a backup plan in the offseason.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,973

Post#95 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:07 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think this was the plan all along. We can certainly sign him outright, or do a sign and trade w Charlotte.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#96 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:10 pm

theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think this was the plan all along. We can certainly sign him outright, or do a sign and trade w Charlotte.

What would be the point of a sign and trade considering how much cap space we hold?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,973

Post#97 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:13 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Read on Twitter

What would be the point of a sign and trade considering how much cap space we hold?

Wouldn’t Bridges get a longer deal if done through Charlotte?
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Post#98 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:14 pm

theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

No

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#99 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:17 pm

theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

We can offer 4 years. Charlotte can offer 5.

I don’t know if the sign and trade can be 5 years, nor do I think any team is eager to give him 4 or 5 years unless it’s deeply discounted and you know clutch sports isn’t giving discounts.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Post#100 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:20 pm

A player can no longer get the 5th year in a sign and trade.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons