ImageImageImage

Break it up

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#81 » by HeroicKennedy » Sat May 31, 2008 5:31 am

A 6'7 Power Forward who struggles to rebound isn't the future.

If we're going to build the team around anyone, it'll have to be Stuckey and Amir. They're the only ones with All-Star level potential.
effjay
Pro Prospect
And1: 53

Post#82 » by effjay » Sat May 31, 2008 5:50 am

HeroicKennedy wrote:Rasheed and Prince to the Rockets for T-Mac.

Sign Jeff Foster at the MLE.

Roll with:

Billups/Stuckey
Hamilton/Afflalo
McGrady/#29
Maxiell/Johnson
Foster/McDyess/Samb

I doubt the Rockets would do it, and I'm not a huge fan of McGrady and his first round exits, but at least it'd be something different, and T-Mac only has two seasons left on his contract, so it's kind of a low risk/high reward type situation.

Not too bad of an idea. Unfortunately, like someone said, I don't think they would need a guy like Prince with Battier there already. Also, knowing Joe, I doubt he would trade two starters for an all-star.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#83 » by GJense4181 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:50 am

LOL@rebuilding around a 6th/7th man.
effjay
Pro Prospect

Post#84 » by effjay » Sat May 31, 2008 5:56 am

Update and slightly off-topic: I'm a Scout! :)
effjay
Pro Prospect

Post#85 » by effjay » Sat May 31, 2008 5:59 am

Piston Pete wrote:Or we could make a blockbuster move and trade Rip, Maxiell, Prince, and McDyess to Orlando for Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis, and fillers.....

I highly doubt the Magic will trade away their future (Dwight Howard) that easily.

Also, do you guys think it would be smart to give Joey Dorsey from Memphis a shot by drafting him this year? I know he's not an offensive threat and he may be a little on the shorter side for a PF, but he has great strength, defense, and rebounding ability. Kinda like a modern Ben Wallace? Thoughts?

Then again, we do need a bigger presence downlow, an offensive threat in the paint...
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,262

Post#86 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 am

Detroit sending Rasheed to Denver for Camby or Hilario seems doable to me.

Saves Denver money and gives them a big who scores (albeit not that much in the paint).

Retains Detroit's defense and adds rebounding if Camby goes to the Pistons.
Bye bye Beal.
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#87 » by Master Shake » Sat May 31, 2008 6:21 am

It's time for Joe to completely rob some poor lottery team again... he hasn't done that in a while.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,100

Post#88 » by Warspite » Sat May 31, 2008 6:26 am

1. Draft day trade Max for Hibbert
2. Rip and Sheed for TMac
3. Childress or equivilant with MLE (Only 2 teams are under the cap somebody is taking a pay cut)

Billups/Stuckey
Tmac/Afflalo
Prince/Childress/Herrman
Amir/ #29
Hibbert/Dyse

I honestly dont know if this makes us much better but we would be younger and at least have a player who can take over a game. We would also be alot bigger.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#89 » by GJense4181 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:30 am

Hibbert, to me, is Kendrick Perkins as a third option and not a fifth, in the NBA.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,100

Post#90 » by Warspite » Sat May 31, 2008 6:41 am

GJense4181 wrote:Hibbert, to me, is Kendrick Perkins as a third option and not a fifth, in the NBA.

How can he be a downgrade after the Pistons just allowed 68% shooting and our C went 2 for 12???
stillalive
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#91 » by stillalive » Sat May 31, 2008 6:48 am

well the pisssssssstons reign is over :( . i guess itz time for you to experience what losing is like for 3+years. i rooted for you guys against the lakers but ever since then itz been a decline. at least you can say that you proved people wrong who said you needed a superstar to win a title. i think you guys should trade billups and prince to miami for their pick and then look to rebuild. :lol:
BMiller52
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#92 » by BMiller52 » Sat May 31, 2008 7:47 am

Time to give Amir a shot and deal Sheed. I think McDyess should probably go too, not big enough to play C full time IMO and the Pistons already have 2 young PFs who need to develop in JMax and Amir. If I were Joe D. the only guys I would make sure to keep are:

Rip, Stuckey, Amir, Aflallo

I'd look to deal Sheed, probably Tayshaun too

I'd be iffy on keeping Chauncey. On one hand he's still good and he won't have to play a lot with Stuckey behind him, so you can make the transition from Billups to Stuckey over time. But also he has pretty good trade value now and he's not gonna be good forever.

2/3 of Sheed/Tay/Chauncey need to go though. Only starter I would keep for sure is Rip. I like McDyess but I don't think he should start next season even though he was good this year.
Hunter
Sixth Man

Post#93 » by Hunter » Sat May 31, 2008 8:00 am

Non of this should be any revelation. Some of us have seen this coming for quite some time. I guess that's why I'm not as upset as several other people. In fact I'm not upset at all. I'm just numb. Disappointment only comes with expectations.

Anyway, I think Flip is top of the "must go" list. It's clear the players don't respect him, and frankly I don't particularly like his offensive or defensive schemes. His adjustments and substitutions improved, but are still pretty poor. Axe him.

I think you definitely shop Sheed, although he doesn't neccesarily need to be moved prior to the start of training camp. In fact he may hold more value as both an expiring and a (semi) productive player closer to the trade deadline.

I think Dice could be shopped if he doesn't simply retire. Even if you are a fan of Dice you should recognize that we need to rebuild/retool and an aging Dice doesn't fit into that scheme.

Billups I think you look at moving simply because he has a lot of value, and is an older player. But I don't think you take 80 cents on the dollar or anythig. If there no move to made then you keep him. Nothing wrong with a solid 3-guard rotation of Chauncey, Rip & Stuckey.

Tay I'm up in the air over. We clearly need to address our rebounding issues and SF is one area we could potentially upgrade. I still feel like if we got him a legit backup and limited him to 32 mpg he'd be more productive though, so I'm not gonna completely throw him under the buss.

Keep Amir, Stuckey & Rip. And probably Maxiell, unless you can flip him for a C (unlikely).

That's my 02.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
Muzzleshot
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#94 » by Muzzleshot » Sat May 31, 2008 8:05 am

You trade Rasheed this team is taking a huge step backwards. I think most people would agree that Rasheed was the X-factor going into these playoffs. They were going as far as he took them.

Rasheed goes, CB might as well be traded while his trade value is still pretty high. Minus Rasheed this team is in rebuilding mode and I don't see much of a reason to keep a soon to be 32 year old point guard around.
Hunter
Sixth Man

Post#95 » by Hunter » Sat May 31, 2008 8:09 am

Muzzleshot wrote:You trade Rasheed this team is taking a huge step backwards. I think most people would agree that Rasheed was the X-factor going into these playoffs. They were going as far as he took them.
I don't think many people are disputing that.

But if this is as far as we go with Sheed, then you might as well cash him in now while he still has some value. If you wait to long then the team continues to decline and it's that much harder to recover.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,709

Post#96 » by BDM22 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:14 am

Move Sheed. It's time. I always hesitated on that because I thought he was theoretically the only guy who could score in the post, but realistically he doesn't. He's extremely inconsistent even when he does go into the post.

To be honest I would not be opposed to any of the starters being moved. If I were Joe they would all be on the market. Look to build this team around Stuckey and the other young guys while keeping around 2-3 core vets to keep a winning mentality.

Obviously Flip is gone. Hire a guy like Tom Thibodeau who will bring in a defensive mentality. I'm not sure about Curry for the simple fact that you would think if he was ready to be a coach, you'd see his imprint on this team. I didn't see that. With Thibodeau, his impact is clear.
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,508

Post#97 » by Rasheeed!!! » Sat May 31, 2008 8:57 am

Thib also had the renewed committment of players. KG set the intensity, Pierce started playing hard defensively, they got better efforts out of Perkins & Rondo and they signed Posey.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#98 » by Liqourish » Sat May 31, 2008 9:13 am

Piston Pete wrote:My thoughts....

We've made it to the ECF's 6 years in a row, with 3 different coaches...when do we stop blaming the coaches??

I don't remember anyone really ciriticizing Carlisle and Browns back in the day the way they are with Flip.

Carlisle got into a bad situation with the front office and thats why he was canned (also because Larry Brown, who was a better coach, was available).

Larry Brown was never questioned for his coaching, but his priorities when he was looking for other jobs during the ECF's and Finals and it was his choice to leave.

Flip Saunders is a bad coach. His ABA offense has no place in the NBA. His zone defenses go against everything this team was built on defensively. He doesn't develop the young guys even though 3 of our starters are 32+ yrs old and Joe Dumars bascially demanded it. And I'm not counting Stuckey because Joe basically put his foot down on that one.... no credit goes to Flip there. At last but certainly not least, Flip Saunders never garnered the respect from these players and they tune him out.

Sure getting rid of players might help the coaching situation, but how deep does the resentment of Flip and lack of respect really run? We'll never know for sure.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,997

Post#99 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat May 31, 2008 9:16 am

Wow so you guys really are not high on Maxiell?

I am not going to give my advice on what you should do because I am a celtics fan who really doesn't know much about detroit, I just wanted to know why your so down on max? And wish your team luck in future endeavors.
Hunter
Sixth Man

Post#100 » by Hunter » Sat May 31, 2008 9:26 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:Wow so you guys really are not high on Maxiell?

I am not going to give my advice on what you should do because I am a celtics fan who really doesn't know much about detroit, I just wanted to know why your so down on max? And wish your team luck in future endeavors.
I don't think anybody is all that down on Max. It's just that most people view him as being limited in terms of potential. He's a solid 6th man, but is an inconsistent rebounder and rebounding is one of our glaring flaws. He's also taking minutes from Amir who most feel has a much higher ceiling.

Return to Detroit Pistons