ImageImageImage

SOMEBODY understands basketball: new Jerebko article

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,060

SOMEBODY understands basketball: new Jerebko article 

Post#1 » by vic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Its always good to know that somebody, somewhere does have an understanding of the game of basketball:

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/23 ... -Conundrum

I've been saying for years Jerebko is a quality player, he needs to be backup SF and backup PF. Get him more minutes! (On this team, he could actually be starting SF). I'm losing respect for SVG by the day... Its only politics and contracts that keep Jerebko him on the bench and this article hits the nail right on the head...

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/23 ... -Conundrum

"
One button that Van Gundy might want to press more often, is the one that unleashes reserve forward Jonas Jerebko off the bench. The early returns on Jerebko’s play in Van Gundy’s high-low system have been fantastic. According to NBA.com’s stats, the Swedish big man leads Detroit in overall net rating at plus 9.1 and features in six of the Pistons ten best two-man lineup combinations that have played at least 25 minutes together.

It’s also promising for the Pistons to see the impact Jerebko has on his teammates. DJ Augustin is probably the best example of the “Jerebko boost.” In 110 minutes with him on the bench, Augustin 28.2 percent on 29 attempts (again, small early season sample that could change). In the 105 minutes Jerebko is on the floor, Augustin is shooting 43.2 percent on 44 attempts. Not surprisingly, the Pistons as a whole are -41 when Augustin plays sans Jerebko and +13 when those two are together...

All of these numbers, despite being too limited to stamp as a trend, seem to reflect the type of player Jerebko has transformed into. He’s always been a high energy type, but Jerebko’s maturation into a player that can knock down 3’s (41.9 percent last year, 43.8 percent this year) and put the ball on the floor from the perimeter has changed his impact -- especially now that he is playing for a coach that knows what he’s doing. And because of surrounding personnel, Jerebko’s biggest flaw for a frontcourt player, a lack of a presence on the glass, is mitigated somewhat by the fact that two bigs he often plays with -- Monroe and Drummond -- range from good (Monroe) to great (Drummond) when it comes to rebounding.

In general, Jerebko is pretty much the anti-Smith in every way (both good and bad). This single play against the Nuggets is good example of their core differences..."
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
vic
Veteran

Re: SOMEBODY understands basketball: new Jerebko article 

Post#2 » by vic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:07 pm

wow I just realize Jerebko is in all 3 of the top performing 2-man lineups, and all 3 are with other starters:

Jerebko/Monroe
Jerebko/KCP
Jerebko/Jennings

You know who's no where to be found in top performing duos? Josh Smith.

You know who's number 6?
Monroe/Drummond.

Jennings
KCP
Jerebko
Monroe
Drummond

just happens to be the best lineup on this team (and I've said this from the beginning of the season), but you'll never see them start because of ego and politics and contracts.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,804

Post#3 » by DBC10 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:12 pm

The gift of Dumars just keeps on giving.
vic
Veteran

Post#4 » by vic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Jerebko is probably the only guy on the team both long enough and quick enough to stay with SFs AND stretch 4s on the wing.

But guess who the Pistons get burned by every game, when it counts?

SFs and stretch 4s on the wing.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,530

Post#5 » by whitehops » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:27 pm

in other words... play the only stretch 4 we have?
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#6 » by princeofpalace » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Sooner or later, I have to believe that SVG will realize that Smith hurts more than helps and will reduce his role. I wouldn't mind starting Jonas at SF then bringing Smith off the bench.
vic
Veteran

Post#7 » by vic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:50 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Sooner or later, I have to believe that SVG will realize that Smith hurts more than helps and will reduce his role. I wouldn't mind starting Jonas at SF then bringing Smith off the bench.

That would absolutely be the most ideal situation. At some point you have to have some kind of self-respect as a coach, and coach to win the actual games, not give your most entitled players the most minutes just because they're supposed to have the most minutes.

Any self-respecting coach has to coach for his own record. Period.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,804

Post#8 » by DBC10 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Honestly, SVG is trying to build up Smith's trade value. I'm sure nobody but the Kings want him right now.

So if Smith continues to turn up defensively while doing at a consistent basis, he'll find a role in a good team somewhere. Just not here.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,612

Post#9 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Just a few months ago, pretty much everyone hated on Jerebko and wanted him gone and now he is proving them all wrong. Gotta love this kind of story.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,450

Post#10 » by Billl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:19 pm

I like JJ, but he's not a starting SF. He's doing well outquicking backup PF's. That is the type of roll he can excel in - hustle, scrap, knock down the occasional shot.
He Filled it Up
Veteran
And1: 1,439

Post#11 » by He Filled it Up » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:49 pm

DBC10 wrote:Honestly, SVG is trying to build up Smith's trade value. I'm sure nobody but the Kings want him right now.

I don't see how this could be true if Smith is currently killing the team and his trade value.
Count that baby and a foul!
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#12 » by Ghost » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:04 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Just a few months ago, pretty much everyone hated on Jerebko and wanted him gone and now he is proving them all wrong. Gotta love this kind of story.

Well, you know.. he was Poop, now he's Kevin Love. :roll:

Jonas has played well thus far and SVG acknowledged him putting in a ton of work over the summer, and it appears to have shown so far. That doesn't mean we should start him or play him 30 minutes per night, or make him the only backup PF/SF which basically would get rid of Smith/Singler/Martin. We should use him wisely, off the bench paired with Drummond or Monroe, and dependent on matchups-maybe playing some SF.
I also can't believe you said you're losing respect for SVG :lol: like seriously, 11 games in to our new coaches tenure (THE BEST ONE WE HAVE HAD SINCE Larry Brown, or maybe Flip Saunders), and you're losing respect. Because this team, which is basically the same thing as last year, was suppose to pull a 180 record-wise, just with a coach change. NO. He agreed to come and inherit this trainwreck, and we should be **** glad. C'mon man. Let's give the man the benefit of the doubt that he's playing a longer game.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by Billl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:34 pm

My only complaint about SVG is that he doesn't seem to be showing smith the type of tough love he showed jennings. The first couple games, Jennings just wasn't getting it and stan sat him immediately. Jennings responded and has been much better since. Smith? Against orlando he had ZERO rebounds, jacked 3 3's, and had 4 TO's..... and plays 30 minutes. I know Dre was in foul trouble, but letting smith stay out there undermines the changes we are trying to make.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,612

Post#14 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 pm

I hope SVG is really just hyping up Josh Smith so that he can trade him. If he is trying to move Josh, then he doesn't want to piss him off so that anything hits the news. I sure hope this is the scenario. I would just about to attach assets to move him at this rate.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,189

Post#15 » by Notanoob » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:24 pm

Billl wrote:My only complaint about SVG is that he doesn't seem to be showing smith the type of tough love he showed jennings. The first couple games, Jennings just wasn't getting it and stan sat him immediately. Jennings responded and has been much better since. Smith? Against orlando he had ZERO rebounds, jacked 3 3's, and had 4 TO's..... and plays 30 minutes. I know Dre was in foul trouble, but letting smith stay out there undermines the changes we are trying to make.

Was Smith really that awful last night? He only took 7 shots and dished 5 assists to go with a steal and a block.

The lack of rebounding is really bad, but 7 shots is right around the number I want Smith shooting on a nightly basis.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#16 » by rmfc » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:34 pm

This is Jerebko's contract year, right?
vic
Veteran

Post#17 » by vic » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:52 pm

rmfc wrote:This is Jerebko's contract year, right?

yeah but his 3 pointer was improved last year also.
Other than that he's been the exact same player except for the year after he was injured:

A quality/defensive SF/hustle PF. He's always hustled, always slashed, always cut, always defended the wing.

He is what he is, and now with an added 3 point shot he's better than anything currently on the roster at SF.
vic
Veteran

Post#18 » by vic » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:22 pm

http://stats.nba.com/team/#!/1610612765/lineups/

If you look at the top 6 performing 5 man lineups:
Jerebko is in 4 of them and Smith is in one of them. And the one that Josh Smith is in averages 0 minutes. in other words, its a free throw lineup. No actual minutes played.

If you look at the bottom 6 worst performing 5 man lineups
Jerebko is in 2 of them and Smith is in 4 of them.

Guess who is in ALL 6 top performing lineups: CARON BUTLER.

Caron Butler should be starting and Jonas Jerebko should have 25-30 minutes a game at both Forward positions.

YOu can't tell me SVG is stupid enough to continue this!!!!!!!
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,950

Post#19 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm not sure Caron Butler is up for starter's minutes at this point in his career, not for an 82-game season.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by Billl » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Notanoob wrote:
Billl wrote:My only complaint about SVG is that he doesn't seem to be showing smith the type of tough love he showed jennings. The first couple games, Jennings just wasn't getting it and stan sat him immediately. Jennings responded and has been much better since. Smith? Against orlando he had ZERO rebounds, jacked 3 3's, and had 4 TO's..... and plays 30 minutes. I know Dre was in foul trouble, but letting smith stay out there undermines the changes we are trying to make.

Was Smith really that awful last night? He only took 7 shots and dished 5 assists to go with a steal and a block.

The lack of rebounding is really bad, but 7 shots is right around the number I want Smith shooting on a nightly basis.

Yes, smith really was the awful. He's wasn't in full jack mode - just do nothing mode. He was a net negative and played a bunch of minutes anyway.

Return to Detroit Pistons