Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,781

Re: Around the League 

Post#2001 » by Snakebites » Mon Jan 7, 2019 12:59 am

Kilo wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Thibs fired.

I'm surprised it happened this far into the season. There's speculation that Fred Hoiberg could replace him. That'd be downright bizarre if he replaced Thibs in 2 jobs in a row.

And after they traded Butler - it seemed they chose Thibs over Butler.

I wonder if SVG would get any consideration as a coach only. Tolliver is there to put in a good for for him. And maybe SVG would want some current Pistons he acquired/gave contracts out to as shotcaller here.

I don't think they chose Thibs over Butler.

This isn't a Magic Johnson/Paul Westhead type situation, where Magic gave an ultimatum with respect to the coach. Butler wanted out regardless of who the coach was.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#2002 » by dVs33 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 am

Did anyone see the GR Drive are wearing flint tropics inspired uniforms hahaha I thought that was funny

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#2003 » by DBC10 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 pm

We gave up Dinwiddie for BAirstow.

Just let this sink in when we literally need any better guard play right now. Now he’s playing like a rejuvenated Mcgrady.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#2004 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:44 pm

DBC10 wrote:We gave up Dinwiddie for BAirstow.

Just let this sink in when we literally need any better guard play right now. Now he’s playing like a rejuvenated Mcgrady.

Yeah I don’t even know who that is we traded Dinwiddie for.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#2005 » by chrbal » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:43 pm

Image Cameron Baristow. Picked that picture because it looks like "nba player or Subway employee photo?" Spencer was struggling to adjust to the NBA, Cameron was much worse. A smarter GM would've kept Spencer as cheap depth. But in all honesty, very few people would've thought that back then.
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 563

Post#2006 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:21 am

chrbal wrote:Image Cameron Baristow. Picked that picture because it looks like "nba player or Subway employee photo?" Spencer was struggling to adjust to the NBA, Cameron was much worse. A smarter GM would've kept Spencer as cheap depth. But in all honesty, very few people would've thought that back then.

He might be better at golf, looking like a young Phil Mickelson and all. :biggrin:
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#2007 » by Billl » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:26 pm

That trade obviously sucks in hindsight, but we were doing spencer a favor. He was buried here and his contract was going to run out before he had any realistic chance of playing for us.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#2008 » by Kilo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:35 pm

Dinwiddie asked to be traded. He was traded to Chicago. Not to Brooklyn. So he crapped out in Chicago as well.

All the good trades SVG gets credit for and this one might off-set them all when it's all said and done. Really will come down to Blake's next three years.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 563

Post#2009 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:53 pm

↑Was there really that much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair when SVG let go of Dinwiddie? Hindsight is 20/20... Has anyone in here from a few years back come forward to declare "I told you so," having known well in advance that despite early struggles, Spence would finally be killing it in his new team 4 years later while also hurting the Pistons every time he plays against us?

Wasn't around here back then, so I honestly don't know...
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#2010 » by Kilo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:14 pm

I was completely fine with it. But then I never liked Dinwiddie from the get-go though mostly because of his personality with his thinking his mustache was some sort of "thing" and then his immature 69 joke references.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#2011 » by dVs33 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:40 am

_Und3r][D4wg_ wrote:↑Was there really that much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair when SVG let go of Dinwiddie? Hindsight is 20/20... Has anyone in here from a few years back come forward to declare "I told you so," having known well in advance that despite early struggles, Spence would finally be killing it in his new team 4 years later while also hurting the Pistons every time he plays against us?

Wasn't around here back then, so I honestly don't know...
There was nothing because dinwiddie had shown very little and we didnt have minutes for him at the time.

No one knew that he'd get to this level of play and who's to say he would reach it buried on the pistons bench.
I'm happy for him. He seemed like a good guy. S happens

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#2012 » by El Chivo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:25 am

**** was choosing Reggie Jackson as point guard for half a decade.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#2013 » by chrbal » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:56 pm

_Und3r][D4wg_ wrote:
chrbal wrote:Image Cameron Baristow. Picked that picture because it looks like "nba player or Subway employee photo?" Spencer was struggling to adjust to the NBA, Cameron was much worse. A smarter GM would've kept Spencer as cheap depth. But in all honesty, very few people would've thought that back then.

He might be better at golf, looking like a young Phil Mickelson and all. :biggrin:
He really does look like Phil
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#2014 » by Southern Piston » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:08 am

I was against it, I liked Dimmwiddie and just thought he needed extended run for extended time to get it righty, he outplayed Derrick Rose and basically hit a game winner his first starting game, he had it in him. I’m still wanting that 6’7+ point guardas , and I think Stanley might be a good option as a backup, Winslow’s working out pretty good.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#2015 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Feb 1, 2019 3:19 am

I can understand why we didn't end up with DSJ.
Dallas: So, the Knicks are offering us Porzingis.
Detroit: Ummm...We'll give you Ellenson. He's kind of a bloated version of him.
Dallas: *click*
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#2016 » by joeposh » Fri Feb 1, 2019 8:14 am

Kilo wrote:Dinwiddie asked to be traded. He was traded to Chicago. Not to Brooklyn. So he crapped out in Chicago as well.

All the good trades SVG gets credit for and this one might off-set them all when it's all said and done. Really will come down to Blake's next three years.

Most of the posts on this board at the time thought Spencer wasn't a pro-level player. I remember the jokes about him literally dribbling off his foot in games.

The player he is now is the guy we hoped we would get after he recovered from his college injury. It just took a lot longer than anyone thought, and odds were definitely against it happening after the first few years went so poorly. Great for the Nets now, but hard to knock SVG for doing him a solid at the time.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#2017 » by DBC10 » Sat Feb 2, 2019 12:11 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:I can understand why we didn't end up with DSJ.
Dallas: So, the Knicks are offering us Porzingis.
Detroit: Ummm...We'll give you Ellenson. He's kind of a bloated version of him.
Dallas: *click*

Yep. The time DSJ was even on the table for offers, is probably when they had already conspired with the Knicks to have this trade in place. It just so happens that somehow, the opportune time came about now and the lolKnicks went for it.

Also extremely hurts to see Khris Middleton getting an all-star spot when we let him go over Singler and was included for Brandon Jennings who no longer is even in the league.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#2018 » by Invictus88 » Tue Feb 5, 2019 6:10 pm

Yikes :(

If it wasn't a guarantee before that Washington is never trading Wall, it is now:

Read on Twitter
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#2019 » by MotownMadness » Tue Feb 5, 2019 6:13 pm

Invictus88 wrote:Yikes :(

If it wasn't a guarantee before that Washington is never trading Wall, it is now:

Read on Twitter

He’s basically out all next year as well now
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#2020 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:26 am

The Tobi & Bobi show has moved on to Philadelphia now. Is there a clause in their contracts saying they can't be traded separately?
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!

Return to Detroit Pistons