ImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Re: Around the League 

Post#1401 » by tradez401 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 3:32 am

michael gbinjie signs with the warriors...wonder if he sees any playing time.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#1402 » by Pharaoh » Wed Sep 6, 2017 3:53 am

Rockets sold for $2.2 billion

Guessing Gores could flip the Pistons for a tidy profit any time he wants
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: RE: Re: Around the League 

Post#1403 » by Pharaoh » Wed Sep 6, 2017 3:53 am

tradez401 wrote:michael gbinjie signs with the warriors...wonder if he sees any playing time.

Non guaranteed deal from memory
Camp fodder due to being able to "play" 3 positions
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#1404 » by Richard Miller » Wed Sep 6, 2017 9:49 pm

chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Re: RE: Re: Around the League 

Post#1405 » by chrbal » Thu Sep 7, 2017 3:20 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
tradez401 wrote:michael gbinjie signs with the warriors...wonder if he sees any playing time.

Non guaranteed deal from memory
Camp fodder due to being able to "play" 3 positions

Who will then get cut, and offered a gig with their G-League team.

I doubt he sees much playing time in the preseason.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#1406 » by MotownMadness » Thu Sep 7, 2017 10:53 pm

Richard Miller wrote:

:o
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#1407 » by vege » Fri Sep 8, 2017 5:18 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

:o

Boban is the 3rd best FT% Center in the league. He shots 81% from the line. And now if he can hit 3`s :crazy:

UNLEASH BOBAN FFS
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#1408 » by tmorgan » Fri Sep 8, 2017 6:57 pm

Boban's got great touch. This isn't that surprising. It's the lead feet he just can't do anything about. Still like the guy and hope he gets regular run.
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#1409 » by Popovich » Sat Sep 9, 2017 9:53 pm

I did not wanted to start a new thread (something about big Boban) so I found this place somewhere around a league. My post is little bit farther, maybe off the league because it is about EuroBasket "017. Still, there are a lot of current and future NBA players among participants of this championship. Greg Popovic is there seemingly relaxing on a holiday but in the same time perfecting his trademark skills, which are in his case evident interest into European tactic than a style. When Boban did not want to leave the Spurs for a pile of money on the table, Pope told him kinda discretely, something like .. " Are you nuts, take the money and shut up" Pope"s stern coaching influenced on Marjanovic's decision but unfortunately for him he did not found minutes and role in the team like he hoped for. Boban is not young player any more but he isn't old either, he could be in his prime shape right now. Marjanovic returned to a national team after his controversial absence from Olympic when supposedly he did not got green light from his NBA team.

Now Marjanovic is playing but who is exactly starting center is not certain yet. Boban had to fight for his spot , because even after Jokic and Raduljica dropped of the team position as a 1st center is still greatly contended. Just proving the claims that he is the most dominant center at this competition is already a serious amount of pressure for Bobi already, yet he needs to cope with his big role in the national team. So far his opponents were eager to stop him by means allowed in the game but they were mainly unsuccessful. His presence at the FT line is quite often. I think that whit the time passe he will eventually gain more respect from the refs once when it become obvious that against big Boby there is not many choices you can take when deciding how to stop him one on one. So this is what now is expected from Boban, to be a "go to: player after Bogdanovic. It seems that he is starting to fulfill expectations by slightly improving his performance match after match and it will be good for all if improvements continue to be evident. What coach Djorjevic demands from him is that he starts to play better defense. Staff knows that Bobi will always be late in some rotations that is why he will get regular help from teammates but only if he shows some effort on his own. There is no matter if he scores double digits while stinking in the D. Anyway I wanted to give some attention to Boban, I think he deserves it and I hope he will get more minutes next season.

tmorgan
RealGM

Post#1410 » by tmorgan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:37 am

I mean, the giant man Boban is somewhat limited no matter what he does... he's slow. He's always going to be slow.

He's tremendously skilled. Best touch I've seen on a man his size. But he's not an athlete beyond nice coordination and touch for a man his size.

The Pistons would be wise to actually play him this year. He's under contract for 2 more years at a reasonable 7 mil a year, and he can cause problems on offense for the opposing team. He'll also cause problems for the defense, because he doesn't move around well, but he'll contest anything near him.

He's a fun guy to watch, and the Pistons certainly aren't contenders, so he needs to get 15 minutes a game.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#1411 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:41 pm

If Boban had even average NBA athleticism he would be an all-star
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#1412 » by Kilo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:12 pm

First Gbinije signs two-way deal with Golden State, now Darrun Hilliard signs a two way deal with San Antonio...
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#1413 » by MotownMadness » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Kilo wrote:First Gbinije signs two-way deal with Golden State, now Darrun Hilliard signs a two way deal with San Antonio...

watch em go off with our luck. Not that they will get PT anyways though.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#1414 » by jakebernat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 pm

At least that shows we weren't the only team interested in these guys in the draft. Some of you were ready to crucify SVG for "wasting a 2nd round pick".
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#1415 » by pad300 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:27 am

Kilo wrote:First Gbinije signs two-way deal with Golden State, now Darrun Hilliard signs a two way deal with San Antonio...

I'm a Spurs fan - talk to me about Hilliard. Is he a 2 or a 3? Also, he shot 38% from 3 in his rookie year, but in his 2nd year, he shot 26%; what happened? Also, his TO's went way up. Did he start trying to do too much?
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#1416 » by tmorgan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 pm

pad300 wrote:

I'm a Spurs fan - talk to me about Hilliard. Is he a 2 or a 3? Also, he shot 38% from 3 in his rookie year, but in his 2nd year, he shot 26%; what happened? Also, his TO's went way up. Did he start trying to do too much?

There's basically no sample size for either of those numbers. He didn't play much. Random variation.

Hilliard is a smooth offensive player that has some moves and can score in multiple ways. He's also slow, in terms of both physical ability and mental reaction time, because he hasn't played enough NBA minutes. I doubt he's going to figure it out, but it's possible.

Nothing else of note. Defense is not good, nor is passing or rebounding or whatever. Just a smooth looking scorer.
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#1417 » by Southern Piston » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm

I always thought Hilliard had potential, these guys are perfect for top tier teams, solid all around players, who are above average on defense. Mbenje is in a perfect spot, all he has to do is function in the system, husstle, and play defense, his offense is hidden behind Curry, Durant, and whoever else they put on the floor, he will take nick Young's spot in yr two. It shows our scouting is good, these guys just do better with higher level talent guys around them.we just don't have any high level guys, so there role play is less valuable.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#1418 » by El Chivo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:49 am

Southern Piston wrote:I always thought Hilliard had potential, these guys are perfect for top tier teams, solid all around players, who are above average on defense. Mbenje is in a perfect spot, all he has to do is function in the system, husstle, and play defense, his offense is hidden behind Curry, Durant, and whoever else they put on the floor, he will take nick Young's spot in yr two. It shows our scouting is good, these guys just do better with higher level talent guys around them.we just don't have any high level guys, so there role play is less valuable.

so it's wrong to pick potential role players in our situation... we should go for the homerun with 2nd rounders, or drafting and stashing a talented euro.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#1419 » by Billl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:09 pm

You draft the guy you think has a chance to be an NBA player. The second round is a crap shoot.

Conventional wisdom is that you go for a big. There tend to be more "late bloomers" in the middle than perimeter. (Gasol, Jordan and Whiteside ) That, or a great shooter. That's a skill that will overcome a lot of shortcomings.

Both of those categories would be considered "Role Players". The guys we should probably avoid are the ones that do a lot of things OK, but no dominant nba skill/trait. eg Hilliard can shoot the ball and score. He's got a better chance of working his way into a rotation Gbinije even though he is less well rounded.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#1420 » by El Chivo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:27 pm

Billl wrote:You draft the guy you think has a chance to be an NBA player. The second round is a crap shoot.

Conventional wisdom is that you go for a big. There tend to be more "late bloomers" in the middle than perimeter. (Gasol, Jordan and Whiteside ) That, or a great shooter. That's a skill that will overcome a lot of shortcomings.

Both of those categories would be considered "Role Players". The guys we should probably avoid are the ones that do a lot of things OK, but no dominant nba skill/trait. eg Hilliard can shoot the ball and score. He's got a better chance of working his way into a rotation Gbinije even though he is less well rounded.

sometimes you can find a gem. drafting 24yo players with average skills is the best way to waste picks, IMHO.

pick raw talent and at least you've tried.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Return to Detroit Pistons