Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Re: Around the League 

Post#1701 » by zeebneeb » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:11 pm

vege wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Man the Clippers look brutal. I wonder if some players are going to be on the move soon...

If the Clippers ever decide to blow up, Blake Griffin to DET is my dream scenario

I thought you were crazy when you posted this, I'm sure you're pretty happy right now :lol: you called it in November...
Hey now, two people got this. ;) I didn't say it but Blake was the only player I wanted off that team.

I still can't believe Andre Drummond and Blake Griffin are on the same team. Beast ass frontcourt.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#1702 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:53 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
vege wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:
If the Clippers ever decide to blow up, Blake Griffin to DET is my dream scenario

I thought you were crazy when you posted this, I'm sure you're pretty happy right now :lol: you called it in November...
Hey now, two people got this. ;) I didn't say it but Blake was the only player I wanted off that team.

I still can't believe Andre Drummond and Blake Griffin are on the same team. Beast ass frontcourt.

We definitely have the best frontcourt in the East now
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#1703 » by Phenomenonsense » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:08 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
vege wrote:

I mean I'm hopeful that Dre's passing and Blake's passing can be good together, but neither one of them plays defense lol..
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#1704 » by jakebernat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:10 pm

Phenomenonsense wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Hey now, two people got this. ;) I didn't say it but Blake was the only player I wanted off that team.

I mean I'm hopeful that Dre's passing and Blake's passing can be good together, but neither one of them plays defense lol..

Idk man, have you been watching Drummond lately? Dude legitimately looks locked in on defense...
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1705 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Feb 1, 2018 3:22 am

Moose released. Wonder where he ends up

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#1706 » by DETermination » Thu Feb 1, 2018 3:38 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:Moose released. Wonder where he ends up

I still love Moose and hope he finds a solid role for a contender but the guy hasn't improved much since his rookie season.
Detroit vs Everybody
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#1707 » by vege » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:34 am

DETermination wrote:

I still love Moose and hope he finds a solid role for a contender but the guy hasn't improved much since his rookie season.

I still can't stand him screaming aannnnnnnddddddd oneeeeee every **** time.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#1708 » by Billl » Thu Feb 1, 2018 1:56 pm

DETermination wrote:

That's not shocking. He came in as a very polished post player lacking the AA to ever really dominate in the paint. People were hoping he would develop a decent jumper to go with that, but that's just not his game. The biggest problem for him was the way the game has changed. Mobile bigs, motion offense, and 3 point shooting is in, methodical post play is out. By all accounts, he's a nice guy that works hard, but his skill set is just out of step with where the league is right now.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,256

Post#1709 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 1, 2018 4:58 pm

Billl wrote:
DETermination wrote:

That's not shocking. He came in as a very polished post player lacking the AA to ever really dominate in the paint. People were hoping he would develop a decent jumper to go with that, but that's just not his game. The biggest problem for him was the way the game has changed. Mobile bigs, motion offense, and 3 point shooting is in, methodical post play is out. By all accounts, he's a nice guy that works hard, but his skill set is just out of step with where the league is right now.

A lot of these "old school" bigs are fortunate they got paid before GMs changed directions for roster construction.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#1710 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:11 pm

I’ve long contemplated what might get me to stop following the NBA.

I think Lebron going to the Warriors might just do it for me if it happens.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#1711 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 1, 2018 7:34 pm

Snakebites wrote:I’ve long contemplated what might get me to stop following the NBA.

I think it would be funny to see his diva ways ruin their chemistry.

Him failing in that environment would make for a great story line.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1712 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 1, 2018 7:52 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I’ve long contemplated what might get me to stop following the NBA.

I think it would be funny to see his diva ways ruin their chemistry.

Him failing in that environment would make for a great story line.

It wouldn’t fail. That’s the problem. As it is there’s probably not anyone who can compete with these Warriors. There barely was pre-Lebron.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#1713 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:29 pm

Yeah that would be really lame. Can you imagine the insane amount of blowback he would get though? It would be like Durant x100. At least his run there would be short-lived since he will be 34 in December of next season.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1714 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:32 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:

Yeah that would be really lame. Can you imagine the insane amount of blowback he would get though? It would be like Durant x100. At least his run there would be short-lived since he will be 34 in December of next season.

The precedent these moves are setting would be felt long after Lebron retires.

The league needs to move to limit these moves. The Durant deal has already done a lot of damage.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#1715 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:41 pm

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:

The league needs to move to limit these moves. The Durant deal has already done a lot of damage.

I'm normally not a huge fan of too many regulations but I agree. Maybe something like not allowing more than 3 players with a certain amount of caphold to sign on one team. Making a trade would be fine, just not signing. Something along those lines could be implemented and should be if the competitive balance begins to be severely disrupted.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1716 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:48 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:

I'm normally not a huge fan of too many regulations but I agree. Maybe something like not allowing more than 3 players with a certain amount of caphold to sign on one team. Making a trade would be fine, just not signing. Something along those lines could be implemented and should be if the competitive balance begins to be severely disrupted.

It was a colossal failure on the part of the league (and players union) not to soften the salary cap increase. That abrupt ris is what caused us to be in this mess with the Warriors to start with.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#1717 » by MrBigShot » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:54 pm

It'll never happen but if the NBA actually wants any semblance of parity (which I don't think they prioritize highly at all) they have to get rid of max contracts. Maybe throw in in 5 game 1st round series instead of 7 to increase the chance of upsets a bit.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
ChuckVanBrown
Senior
And1: 352

Post#1718 » by ChuckVanBrown » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:43 pm

I actually think SVG had a pretty interesting solution to this whole super team issue. Just remove the maximum salary cap on players. Keep the team cap, but allow teams to pay whatever they want for players. If Durant was offered $60m annually from some team as opposed to $30m by GS, he may have thought otherwise about joining their team.

Money isn’t always the driver, but there’s a big difference taking a 10% pay cut to a 50% cut.

This solution would actually be less regulatory, and may result in more parity. After all, why cap what someone can earn? If a team thinks LeBron is worth $70m annually, then so be it.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1719 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 2, 2018 5:53 am

MrBigShot wrote:It'll never happen but if the NBA actually wants any semblance of parity (which I don't think they prioritize highly at all) they have to get rid of max contracts. Maybe throw in in 5 game 1st round series instead of 7 to increase the chance of upsets a bit.

Silver has essentially publicly said he doesn't care about it, not that he'd ever openly admit they screwed up letting Durant go to the Warriors.

And I'm not sure he's wrong about not caring from a business perspective. Super-teams generate big buzz.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#1720 » by GreekAlex » Fri Feb 2, 2018 10:05 pm

Blake Griffin definitely gives the Pistons a much larger national appeal.

I was watching a Rockets home broadcast and they mentioned how they're excited to see him come back to Houston with his new team.

Return to Detroit Pistons