sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Re: Around the League 

Post#1801 » by sfballa13 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:56 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
vege wrote:
jakebernat wrote:
Lol pistons fans have to be the most bipolar fan base in the league.

KCP is an ok player but he is not worth the money we offered and I'm ignoring the fact that he is very inconsistent. Before the personal life drama and the injuries, AB was a far superior player and we were actually a good team.

AB is injury prone. Always has been always will be. Go read the AB maybe we shouldnt resign him thread. I posted many times before he got hurt that resigning him is a mistake due to how oft injured he is. Another guy whos injury prone is Blake hence why i dont want him on the team for 5 years at 35% of our cap going into his 30s.

The KCP contract would of been a overpay for sure. Thing is we then have KCP/Morris/Harris/1st rounder instead of Blake. I think we make the playoffs with the former. It would of kept our core younger and if we miss the playoffs we at least had a lotto pick at the end of the season.

Not just that we would have had Mook for this season and next for 8M total...we are paying Leuer 10M to do jack ****

KCP, like Monroe, should have been moved for even a super late 2nd round pick

Instead we gave up a second round AND a 1st round pick to go after Blaake
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#1802 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:09 am

Howgood would this team be with Chauncey Billups instead of Reggie Jackson?
What about Chauncey and Rip instead of RJax and Bullock?

Finally, Chauncey, Rip and Prince instead of RJax, Bullock and Stanley?

This is just a thought experiment to deterime how far away Detroit is from being a contender.

Would the team be in Torontos air space with all three? Would they be the favorite to come out of the East with two of them? Would Chauncey have them competing for the ECF, and maybe a 2nd round team in the West?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,074

Post#1803 » by MrBigShot » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:08 am

Pairing prime Chauncey/Rip/Tayshaun with Blake and Andre would be the best team in the East.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,348

Post#1804 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:14 am

If you can add 2 all stars and a strong defensive wing to most rosters ITL their going to suddenly become the best team in the east. Theirs this thing called a salary cap though and its maxed out.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#1805 » by DBC10 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:37 pm

It feels sad that the Sixers are making the playoffs and have limitless potential while we're basically rotting away with the same short term mistakes that plagued this team since 07.

Just wow
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#1806 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:21 am

DBC10 wrote:It feels sad that the Sixers are making the playoffs and have limitless potential while we're basically rotting away with the same short term mistakes that plagued this team since 07.

Just wow

We haven't had a well run organization since 2004. And even before that we had the blunder of the Darko pick which in retrospect really assured our eventual decline. Harsh but true.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#1807 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:49 pm

DBC10 wrote:It feels sad that the Sixers are making the playoffs and have limitless potential while we're basically rotting away with the same short term mistakes that plagued this team since 07.

Just wow

Memories of SVG on Valenti's radio show ring loud in my mind from last year. Valenti told SVG with a straight face that the Pistons were going nowhere and he needed to blow it up. SVG argued back that Philly's strategy has yet to yield any results and basically buried the concept.

Here we are a year later. Embiid was an all star (note: not a replacement all star like Andre), Simmons is either ROY or runner up (because of a guy SVG passed on for a limited role player), and will definitely be an all star multiple times in his career. This isn't even considering what Fultz could possibly turn into for them. If he cashes in on his potential, the 76ers are likely going to inherit the east from LeBron when his sun sets, or he heads west.

But, hey, we can talk about how we traded a solid modern PF that fit really well with Drummond and a lottery pick for a guy who was a top 10 player in 2013. Yay? :lol:

Barring some wild dumb luck (like improbably winning the draft lottery), this team will continue to be a steaming pile of trash under Tom Gores' ownership and expectations. At this point, I don't feel like a fan of this team any longer. I follow the team, I'm interested in what the team is doing. But, I honestly can't root for such a terrible product, that's just awful from the ownership down to most of the players on the floor.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#1808 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:56 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Just wow

We haven't had a well run organization since 2004. And even before that we had the blunder of the Darko pick which in retrospect really assured our eventual decline. Harsh but true.

I think Joe did a reasonably solid job up through 2007. It was when we lost Flip that things took a down turn (not to say Flip was propping this team up, just as a point in time where you can distinctly see the decline). Then, Joe gave Michael Curry a shot at being a HC with zero sum coaching experience. We traded Billups for the ghost of Allen Iverson, while backing Stuckey as the PG of the future. And, that followed with the absolutely horrible signings of Ben Gordon and Charlie Villnueva. And, worst of all, the passing of Bill Davidson.

You give any GM that long in office, the screw ups and misses will amass against them. I can't honestly say if Joe was better or worse than other GM's that had as long as he had, as I don't know any other team's history as well as the Pistons. He had some massive blunders, like Darko and not matching Ben Wallace's Chicago offer. But, he did build the team that won a title in 2004.

But, by the end of his time in Detroit, he probably should have been fired 2 years prior to that. Before he had the opportunity to dump a pick and sign Josh Smith to a huge contract in a vain attempt to save his job. The same can be said of SVG, who clearly should have been fired last summer.

It really goes to show that Gores learned nothing from the Dumars situation.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#1809 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:53 pm

Bucks just signed B.Jennings to a multiyear deal. If we had a good GM this is the guy we would of got over Nelson. Get another pg on the roster that can actually play basketball. We gave up a 2nd rounder for Nelsons scrub azz too.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nba/bucks/2018/04/01/bucks-sign-brandon-jennings-multi-year-deal/476802002/
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#1810 » by Crymson » Tue Apr 3, 2018 5:41 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:It really goes to show that Gores learned nothing from the Dumars situation.

Gores wants fans back in the seats as soon as possible, and he's foolishly believed that he could take shortcuts to get there. In taking those shortcuts, he's doomed the Pistons to years more of the same, soul-grinding mediocrity that drove fans away in the first place.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach

Post#1811 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Apr 3, 2018 11:14 pm

Crymson wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:It really goes to show that Gores learned nothing from the Dumars situation.

Gores wants fans back in the seats as soon as possible, and he's foolishly believed that he could take shortcuts to get there. In taking those shortcuts, he's doomed the Pistons to years more of the same, soul-grinding mediocrity that drove fans away in the first place.

People may call posts like these "negative", but it's just an honest, realistic view. It is a very negative situation that this team is in. Tying $60-70 million into two players who overlap one another opposed to complimenting was a terrible long term decision.

I've lived through some rough eras of Detroit basketball, specifically the mid-90's teams. And through all that mediocrity, I still thought they would eventually right the ship and get out of the valley and climb back up (which they eventually did). But, with Gores as owner, I honestly can't believe this team will ever be able to make smart decisions for the long term health of the team. Everything under his ownership is going to be short sighted, and strictly focused on what financial return it will bring him.

I can't help but find it hilarious how Blake only boosted attendance for a week or so. Even then, it when from laughably bad to paltry.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#1812 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Apr 4, 2018 6:36 am

The Jazz trading Lyles to Denver for Donovan Mitchell was a coup on paper. Reading this article, it's going to pay huge dividends in the future too. Lyles apparently hates having a coach that runs practices.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/trey-lyles-had-not-nice-234546122.html

Via Deseret News:

Jefferson: “I liked playing in Utah. I really did.” Lyles: “Who was your coach then?” Jefferson: “I had Tyrone Corbin.” Lyles, grumbling: “So y’all didn’t practice? Y’all didn’t do nothing, yeah. See, we had practice every day (under Quin Snyder). I thought I was in Kentucky again.” Jefferson, sarcastically: “You had practice every day? Oh, sorry for making you work hard. Sorry. What’s wrong with working hard, Trey?” Lyles: “I didn’t say nothing about working hard. Three-hour practices? C’mon now.”
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#1813 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Apr 4, 2018 8:03 am

T.Harris just keeps being a star for the clippers. 31 on 19 shots 9reb 3assist 3TO 2stl in the clutch 113-110 win over the spurs. Blake who?

Even Boban got down for the clippers. Get this 0 shots but 8pts on 8-10 from the line 4reb 2assist 0TO in only 11mins of play.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#1814 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 4, 2018 12:05 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:T.Harris just keeps being a star for the clippers. 31 on 19 shots 9reb 3assist 3TO 2stl in the clutch 113-110 win over the spurs. Blake who?

Even Boban got down for the clippers. Get this 0 shots but 8pts on 8-10 from the line 4reb 2assist 0TO in only 11mins of play.

Omg get over it already lol.
I'd hate to see you buy a car. You'd have instant buyers remorse. Or a new pair of jeans.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#1815 » by Richard Miller » Wed Apr 4, 2018 1:08 pm

Can't help but feel Boban is being used in Clippers much smarter, in short bursts when they need a boost and it has worked several times now, against good teams too, why SVG couldn't think of that?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#1816 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Apr 4, 2018 1:09 pm

Canadafan wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:T.Harris just keeps being a star for the clippers. 31 on 19 shots 9reb 3assist 3TO 2stl in the clutch 113-110 win over the spurs. Blake who?

I'd hate to see you buy a car. You'd have instant buyers remorse. Or a new pair of jeans.

I wouldn't get rid of car that's 4 years younger and half the price for a more known brand name car that also happens to break down every year. If I were considering such a stupid thing I wouldn't throw my first round pick+Boban+Bradley in the trunk.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#1817 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Apr 4, 2018 2:20 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

I wouldn't get rid of car that's 4 years younger and half the price for a more known brand name car that also happens to break down every year. If I were considering such a stupid thing I wouldn't throw my first round pick+Boban+Bradley in the trunk.

What if you were a filthy rich millionaire with a big ego that likes to have unique cars that nobody else has?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#1818 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Apr 4, 2018 2:34 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

What if you were a filthy rich millionaire with a big ego that likes to have unique cars that nobody else has?

Then I'd be searching for a car that would actually be the envy of everybody else. Something like a Kawhi Leonard https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249441/Teams-Preparing-To-Pursue-Trade-For-Kawhi-Leonard.

I wouldnt be going after a model thats injured every year approaching 30 and 3 years removed from a all star game thats for sure.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#1819 » by Crymson » Wed Apr 4, 2018 3:05 pm

Canadafan wrote:

I wouldn't trade in my newer, improvable vehicle for an older, outdated, breakdown-prone car in the first place.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#1820 » by Crymson » Wed Apr 4, 2018 3:05 pm

Richard Miller wrote:Can't help but feel Boban is being used in Clippers much smarter, in short bursts when they need a boost and it has worked several times now, against good teams too, why SVG couldn't think of that?

Because SVG is a terrible coach. A truly awful coach. I've been saying this for more than two years now.

Return to Detroit Pistons