ImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Re: Around the League 

Post#2061 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:50 am

Raptors proved em all wrong! Congrats to an epic finals.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#2062 » by vege » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:05 pm

ChipButty wrote:Dubs had some bad luck with injuries, but happy to see the Raptors win the championship. Zero lottery picks on the entire Raptors roster. Wow. Great team win. Let the offseason begin.

With KD and Clay GSW would've win easily, but that show that a good team will always be a injury or 2 away from a championship, so it's worth keep trying.
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,667

Post#2063 » by Cowology » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 pm

vege wrote:
ChipButty wrote:Dubs had some bad luck with injuries, but happy to see the Raptors win the championship. Zero lottery picks on the entire Raptors roster. Wow. Great team win. Let the offseason begin.

With KD and Clay GSW would've win easily, but that show that a good team will always be a injury or 2 away from a championship, so it's worth keep trying.

Sucks for GS, but it's part of the game and happens to numerous playoff hopefuls and championship contenders every year. No world exists where the eventual champion had to play their top competitors at full strength. And the top teams, like GS, play more games. It takes a toll.

Toronto was the better team in that series, and frankly it wasn't even that close. They went on the road and beat the W's in their own house multiple times.
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,667

Post#2064 » by Cowology » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:36 am

I really like what Philly is doing; keeping Tobias, signing Horford and trading Butler. Not good for us, but solid moves.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#2065 » by ElectricMayhem » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:15 am

Even if we're not interesting, it's nice to see the rest of the league getting interesting.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#2066 » by El Chivo » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:45 am

Cowology wrote:I really like what Philly is doing; keeping Tobias, signing Horford and trading Butler. Not good for us, but solid moves.

Tobias Harris looks like the worst contract of the League.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#2067 » by dVs33 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:54 am

Very true. It's been a pretty crazy day
ElectricMayhem wrote:Even if we're not interesting, it's nice to see the rest of the league getting interesting.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#2068 » by DBC10 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:07 pm

From a garbage fire of a team after Billy King's catastrophe, to overhauling the entire FO and ownership group, rebuilding through taking on contracts and assets here and there. To now getting both KD and Kyrie. The Nets are a dream scenario for majority of the teams out there.

Granted they're still in NY, which is a huge draw, since it's America's city. But still, it's commendable what they've done.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#2069 » by thesack12 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:34 pm

DBC10 wrote:From a garbage fire of a team after Billy King's catastrophe, to overhauling the entire FO and ownership group, rebuilding through taking on contracts and assets here and there. To now getting both KD and Kyrie. The Nets are a dream scenario for majority of the teams out there.

Granted they're still in NY, which is a huge draw, since it's America's city. But still, it's commendable what they've done.

Sean Marks has done a masterful job there. He inherited a geriatric roster in cap hell, that was also didn't own multiple future FRP's.

Cases like this should encourage more new blood hires, instead of the super uninspiring tired retreads we see all too often.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#2070 » by Kilo » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:38 pm

Too much movement? No more team continuity? Or do you enjoy the movement and chaos of it all?
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2071 » by thesack12 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:40 pm

Man, Sacramento is having a helluva offseason... for the wrong reasons.

They didn't have a 1st round pick.

Sign Harrison Barnes to a 4 year/$85 mil contract
Sign DeWayne Dedmon to a 3 year/$41 mil contract
Sign Trevor Ariza to a 2 year/$25 mil contract
Sign Cory Joseph to a 3 year/$37 mil contract

None of those guys are going to help them take the next step, and there is high potential all of those eventually look like awful contracts.

Then they lose Cauley-Stein for nothing.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#2072 » by DBC10 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:05 pm

thesack12 wrote:Man, Sacramento is having a helluva offseason... for the wrong reasons.

None of those guys are going to help them take the next step, and there is high potential all of those eventually look like awful contracts.

It's a cap disaster what they've done. Why would they need Trevor for that much anyways? They could've just rehashed Garrett Temple again, granted he probably didn't want to go there. Or maybe Bullock, since it's a wash defensively comparing both of them at this point in Ariza's career.

Cory Joseph got PAID too.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2073 » by thesack12 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:50 pm

DBC10 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Man, Sacramento is having a helluva offseason... for the wrong reasons.

It's a cap disaster what they've done. Why would they need Trevor for that much anyways? They could've just rehashed Garrett Temple again, granted he probably didn't want to go there. Or maybe Bullock, since it's a wash defensively comparing both of them at this point in Ariza's career.

Cory Joseph got PAID too.

Just when you think the Kings might be starting to turn the corner and graduate from being one of the worst run franchises in the league...
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#2074 » by Snakebites » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:47 pm

My general belief is that 2 year deals aren't crippling for a franchise. At worst Ariza and Joseph will likely be tradeable even if they don't fit. Playoff teams are often looking for players like that near the deadline.

The Dedmon contract is a head scratcher though, and the Barnes deal is just flat out awful.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2075 » by thesack12 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:50 pm

Snakebites wrote:

My general belief is that 2 year deals aren't crippling for a franchise. At worst Ariza and Joseph will likely be tradeable even if they don't fit. Playoff teams are often looking for players like that near the deadline.

The Dedmon contract is a head scratcher though, and the Barnes deal is just flat out awful.

Joseph is a 3 year contract.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#2076 » by Snakebites » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:53 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Oooh, yeah, not sure how I misread that.

I thought it was 2/27. So yeah, I think the Ariza contract is fine. The rest...yeah. Joe D isn't exactly helping Vlade make better decisions is he?

At least the Knicks are signing (almost) everyone to 2 year deals.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2077 » by thesack12 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:08 pm

Snakebites wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:My general belief is that 2 year deals aren't crippling for a franchise. At worst Ariza and Joseph will likely be tradeable even if they don't fit. Playoff teams are often looking for players like that near the deadline.

Oooh, yeah, not sure how I misread that.

I thought it was 2/27. So yeah, I think the Ariza contract is fine. The rest...yeah. Joe D isn't exactly helping Vlade make better decisions is he?

At least the Knicks are signing (almost) everyone to 2 year deals.

Dumars was brought in just 9 days before the start of free agency, so who knows how much input he actually had. But yeah, it definitely doesn't reflect glowingly on ole Joe D.
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 560

Post#2078 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:18 am

Kilo wrote:Too much movement? No more team continuity? Or do you enjoy the movement and chaos of it all?

It's all just a bit too NBA2K-ish for me these days, but that's just me... YMMV.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#2079 » by ElectricMayhem » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:18 am

How could Sacramento just hand out all these bloated contracts to guys who don't move the needle?

:reporter:
Joe Dumars is back in professional basketball, this time on the west coast as he's set to join the Sacramento Kings as a special advisor to general manager Vlade Divac, announced by the team Friday.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2019/06/21/ex-piston-joe-dumars-joins-sacramento-kings-front-office/1528244001/
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#2080 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:22 am

DBC10 wrote:From a garbage fire of a team after Billy King's catastrophe, to overhauling the entire FO and ownership group, rebuilding through taking on contracts and assets here and there. To now getting both KD and Kyrie. The Nets are a dream scenario for majority of the teams out there.

It really wasn’t long ago that I said “hey, at least we’re not the Nets”.

There’s still totally a chance it blows up in their faces. Those aren’t the safest signings and I have doubts that Durant/Kyrie/DAJ is a championship core.

But it’s damn sure an amazing improvement.

Return to Detroit Pistons