ImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,000
And1: 17,217
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Around the League 

Post#2181 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Crymson wrote:
Your trying to hard, nobody gifted anything in Harris and they wanted out of that deal they gave him in the offseason once he wasn't taking the next step but going the other way and we were scrutinized for taking it on at the time by many.


Rob Hennigan moved Harris because he believed that Aaron Gordon was the team's future at power forward. Harris was at the time only 23 years old, in the midst of a solid season, and on a reasonable contract with an advantageous, frontloaded salary structure. He was an effective scorer who was still developing. Hennigan traded him for expiring contracts and then replaced him, with Jeff Green, whom he paid a nearly identical salary, in the offseason. He was absolutely castigated for that trade, and rightly so: he gave away a young, effective scorer on a respectable contract for nothing but cap space in return. The Pistons made out like absolute bandits: they got said commodity for free.

Same with Mook, at the time he was known as the worse of the Morris twins but we seen something in him in a deal anybody could of had and took the chance.


Ryan McDonough traded Morris and Bullock in a cap dump as part of an effort to sign LaMarcus Aldridge, a gambit in the course of which he also handed out that large and very ill-advised contract to Tyson Chandler. Morris was at the time a solid player on a fantastic contract.

Bowers was basically a puppet doing the office work so SVG could focus more on coaching but SVG was filled in and had the final say so over him.


I don't perceive your point.

That Drummond to Kings is nothing more than a rumour now but I believe it and even Valenti had a show on some inside sources at the time saying it was real and Gores said no (which is not hard to believe at all)


I suspect you are referring to this rumor from the 2017 trade deadline, which actually stated that the Pistons had offered a package centered around Drummond but had been turned down by Sacramento.

Though the Kings weren't particularly well-managed at that time, no team in its right mind would have traded Cousins for Drummond. Cousins had always been the much better player, and Drummond was in the midst of a regressive season. New Orleans was his ultimate destination in part because Sacramento's owner was infatuated with Buddy Hield.

They signed Harris to a big contract at that time with the cap and traded him half way through the season cause they didn't think he was gonna develop so tried dumping the contract to us for expirings.

There was no big praise about us doing that trade at the time as Harris was not as good as a stretch player till he got to Detroit. They didn't just sign him to a big contract to move him for expirings. His stats just didn't get better under the Magic after signing him and they thought they would try to erase a bad decision on their part.

These were trades that involved taking on players their teams didn't want without us giving up anything and them working out. Trying to twist it around as anything else is just silly.

Also Cousins was already gone at the time of that Rumor and I cant remember if they had two lottery picks or what it was now at the time.
Crymson
Senior
Posts: 737
And1: 265
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: Around the League 

Post#2182 » by Crymson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:47 pm

MotownMadness wrote:They signed Harris to a big contract at that time with the cap and traded him half way through the season cause they didn't think he was gonna develop so tried dumping the contract to us for expirings.

They didn't just sign him to a big contract to move him for expirings. His stats just didn't get better under the Magic after signing him and they thought they would try to erase a bad decision on their part.


Again, they traded him because Hennigan believed that Aaron Gordon was Orlando's future at the position. Harris had value on the trade market; there was no reason for Hennigan to dump him for expiring contracts. It was a bad management move by an inept and absolutely unsuccessful general manager.

There was no big praise about us doing that trade at the time as Harris was not as good as a stretch player till he got to Detroit.


This is verifiably false. You may look for yourself. In any event, the Pistons got a young, effective scorer for free. It wasn't a major trade, but it was absolutely one of the most one-sided trades in recent memory.

These were trades that involved taking on players their teams didn't want without us giving up anything and them working out. Trying to twist it around as anything else is just silly.


These were fortuitous happenstances that fell into the proverbial lap of Detroit's front office. Kudos to that front office for taking them, but good fortune was certainly on its side. It wasn't a case of excellent management.

Also Cousins was already gone at the time of that Rumor and I cant remember if they had two lottery picks or what it was now at the time.


Cousins was indeed already gone at the time the rumor arose, as he'd been traded to the Pelicans. The rumor concerned an offer than the Pistons had supposedly made to the the Kings, which they had rejected prior to trading Cousins to New Orleans.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,000
And1: 17,217
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Around the League 

Post#2183 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:56 pm

Crymson wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:They signed Harris to a big contract at that time with the cap and traded him half way through the season cause they didn't think he was gonna develop so tried dumping the contract to us for expirings.

They didn't just sign him to a big contract to move him for expirings. His stats just didn't get better under the Magic after signing him and they thought they would try to erase a bad decision on their part.


Again, they traded him because Hennigan believed that Aaron Gordon was Orlando's future at the position. Harris had value on the trade market; there was no reason for Hennigan to dump him for expiring contracts. It was a bad management move by an inept and absolutely unsuccessful general manager.

There was no big praise about us doing that trade at the time as Harris was not as good as a stretch player till he got to Detroit.


This is verifiably false. You may look for yourself. In any event, the Pistons got a young, effective scorer for free. It wasn't a major trade, but it was absolutely one of the most one-sided trades in recent memory.

These were trades that involved taking on players their teams didn't want without us giving up anything and them working out. Trying to twist it around as anything else is just silly.


These were fortuitous happenstances that fell into the proverbial lap of Detroit's front office. Kudos to that front office for taking them, but good fortune was certainly on its side. It wasn't a case of excellent management.

Also Cousins was already gone at the time of that Rumor and I cant remember if they had two lottery picks or what it was now at the time.


Cousins was indeed already gone at the time the rumor arose, as he'd been traded to the Pelicans. The rumor concerned an offer than the Pistons had supposedly made to the the Kings, which they had rejected prior to trading Cousins to New Orleans.

You are so wrong about the Harris thing. Look at his stats he went from avg 17 ppg in a contract year while shooting 36% from 3. He then got paid what was a big contract at that time to come back the next season and avg 13ppg while shooting 31% from 3.

It was flat out buyers remorse and tried to dump what looked like a fluke contract year shooting followed by bad numbers after locking him up.

Nobody was praising us and it was a gamble to take him on which is why he was dealt for only expirings. Good god I remember it took forever just too convince Magic fans they messed up.

What Value do you think Harris had on the trade market at that time like you said that they just passed up on?

And the Drummond Rumor I'm referring to wasn't for Cousins but a lottery pick after Cousins was already gone.
BJK1
Junior
Posts: 347
And1: 137
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Around the League 

Post#2184 » by BJK1 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Apparently Cleveland is “planning for the future” with Dre:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/j-b-bickerstaff-andre-drummond-120021774.html
Invictus88
Rookie
Posts: 1,218
And1: 404
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Around the League 

Post#2185 » by Invictus88 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:20 am

BJK1 wrote:Apparently Cleveland is “planning for the future” with Dre:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/j-b-bickerstaff-andre-drummond-120021774.html


So this is messaging put forth by the team after apparently Drummond's camp and Cleveland are far apart in numbers for an extention (see the blurb in the RealGM article posted on the front page right now).

The entire situation is pretty hilarious and entirely not surprising. Drummond's camp is posturing. Cleveland knows he's not worth his asking price but is acting to everyone else as if there is nothing wrong. They are trying their best to retain whatever leverage they think they might have in trade talks with other teams.

This will end in Drummond opting in and testing free agency after; where he will find no takers at the numbers he wants right now.

Anyone want to guess on what the over/under is for the number of threes he hoists up this year in an attempt to show he is a stretch big?
BJK1
Junior
Posts: 347
And1: 137
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Around the League 

Post#2186 » by BJK1 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:26 am

Invictus88 wrote:
BJK1 wrote:Apparently Cleveland is “planning for the future” with Dre:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/j-b-bickerstaff-andre-drummond-120021774.html


So this is messaging put forth by the team after apparently Drummond's camp and Cleveland are far apart in numbers for an extention (see the blurb in the RealGM article posted on the front page right now).

The entire situation is pretty hilarious and entirely not surprising. Drummond's camp is posturing. Cleveland knows he's not worth his asking price but is acting to everyone else as if there is nothing wrong. They are trying their best to retain whatever leverage they think they might have in trade talks with other teams.

This will end in Drummond opting in and testing free agency after; where he will find no takers at the numbers he wants right now.

Anyone want to guess on what the over/under is for the number of threes he hoists up this year in an attempt to show he is a stretch big?


Yeah, there’s already video out there of him working out in some gym launching 3s.
chrbal
RealGM
Posts: 18,262
And1: 559
Joined: Mar 02, 2001
Contact:

Re: Around the League 

Post#2187 » by chrbal » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
BJK1 wrote:Apparently Cleveland is “planning for the future” with Dre:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/j-b-bickerstaff-andre-drummond-120021774.html


So this is messaging put forth by the team after apparently Drummond's camp and Cleveland are far apart in numbers for an extention (see the blurb in the RealGM article posted on the front page right now).

The entire situation is pretty hilarious and entirely not surprising. Drummond's camp is posturing. Cleveland knows he's not worth his asking price but is acting to everyone else as if there is nothing wrong. They are trying their best to retain whatever leverage they think they might have in trade talks with other teams.

This will end in Drummond opting in and testing free agency after; where he will find no takers at the numbers he wants right now.

Anyone want to guess on what the over/under is for the number of threes he hoists up this year in an attempt to show he is a stretch big?


3-3.5 a game. 3pt% will be like 27% as a starter. Him trying to be a stretch big will make the Cavs start nance over him after some time and experimenting. Drummond will play to fit thinking he can still get paid. Boston gives him around the mle in 2021 on a one year after sitting in free agency for a while.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,000
And1: 17,217
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Around the League 

Post#2188 » by MotownMadness » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:39 pm

chrbal wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
BJK1 wrote:Apparently Cleveland is “planning for the future” with Dre:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/j-b-bickerstaff-andre-drummond-120021774.html


So this is messaging put forth by the team after apparently Drummond's camp and Cleveland are far apart in numbers for an extention (see the blurb in the RealGM article posted on the front page right now).

The entire situation is pretty hilarious and entirely not surprising. Drummond's camp is posturing. Cleveland knows he's not worth his asking price but is acting to everyone else as if there is nothing wrong. They are trying their best to retain whatever leverage they think they might have in trade talks with other teams.

This will end in Drummond opting in and testing free agency after; where he will find no takers at the numbers he wants right now.

Anyone want to guess on what the over/under is for the number of threes he hoists up this year in an attempt to show he is a stretch big?


3-3.5 a game. 3pt% will be like 27% as a starter. Him trying to be a stretch big will make the Cavs start nance over him after some time and experimenting. Drummond will play to fit thinking he can still get paid. Boston gives him around the mle in 2021 on a one year after sitting in free agency for a while.

Feel like 27% is being nice and it's probably more like 20% lol
chrbal
RealGM
Posts: 18,262
And1: 559
Joined: Mar 02, 2001
Contact:

Re: Around the League 

Post#2189 » by chrbal » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:40 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
chrbal wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
So this is messaging put forth by the team after apparently Drummond's camp and Cleveland are far apart in numbers for an extention (see the blurb in the RealGM article posted on the front page right now).

The entire situation is pretty hilarious and entirely not surprising. Drummond's camp is posturing. Cleveland knows he's not worth his asking price but is acting to everyone else as if there is nothing wrong. They are trying their best to retain whatever leverage they think they might have in trade talks with other teams.

This will end in Drummond opting in and testing free agency after; where he will find no takers at the numbers he wants right now.

Anyone want to guess on what the over/under is for the number of threes he hoists up this year in an attempt to show he is a stretch big?


3-3.5 a game. 3pt% will be like 27% as a starter. Him trying to be a stretch big will make the Cavs start nance over him after some time and experimenting. Drummond will play to fit thinking he can still get paid. Boston gives him around the mle in 2021 on a one year after sitting in free agency for a while.

Feel like 27% is being nice and it's probably more like 20% lol



Either way not great
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 8,286
And1: 2,263
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Around the League 

Post#2190 » by DBC10 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:36 pm

And Morey to the Sixers which I thought was one of his destinations should he ever get fired from Houston early this year.

Not a surprise, considering of his caliber, since a good GM mind like his and with his experience would probably not go to a rebuild team like ours or Charlotte or something. having the chance to work with two young all-stars in Simmons and Embiid would be any out of work GM's dream scenario
BJK1
Junior
Posts: 347
And1: 137
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Around the League 

Post#2191 » by BJK1 » Wed Nov 4, 2020 5:50 pm

If this is true (a BIG IF), talk about the luck of the Irish for the Celtics:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-rumors-gordon-hayward-wants-164116288.html
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 22,120
And1: 2,234
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Around the League 

Post#2192 » by bstein14 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:04 pm

Suns reportedly interested in trading for Chris Paul. I'm not really sure what that does for the salary cap situation for Phoenix and OKC. Overall, the less people with money to pay Woods the better off we are having a chance to get him at a reasonable rate.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 36,170
And1: 6,422
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Around the League 

Post#2193 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:18 pm

bstein14 wrote:Suns reportedly interested in trading for Chris Paul. I'm not really sure what that does for the salary cap situation for Phoenix and OKC. Overall, the less people with money to pay Woods the better off we are having a chance to get him at a reasonable rate.

I think there's a 90 percent chance the Knicks offer Wood a contract that we'd have a difficult choice of whether to match.

And that's assuming Wood even wants to stay here.

Remember that "what team should I go to?" tweet from a month or so back that everyone just kinda forgot about.

I personally don't think Wood is a franchise changing guy- it's just not the feeling I get about that guy. I know some disagree.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 36,170
And1: 6,422
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Around the League 

Post#2194 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:07 pm

The Schroder trade puts to bed any Rose-to-Lakers speculation for good.
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 8,286
And1: 2,263
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Around the League 

Post#2195 » by DBC10 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:18 pm

RIP to the dreams of trading Rose for a 1st rounder to the Lakers. That was their last pick IIRC for a while besides swaps, so that one was surprising they got an agreement in principle so soon

Means Rondo is gone?
BJK1
Junior
Posts: 347
And1: 137
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Around the League 

Post#2196 » by BJK1 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Yeah, it sounds like they’re expecting Rondo to move on.
DarkSyde
Junior
Posts: 365
And1: 101
Joined: Mar 15, 2016
       

Re: Around the League 

Post#2197 » by DarkSyde » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:21 am

Heard Anthony Davis will be a free agent. Break the bank for him.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 36,170
And1: 6,422
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Around the League 

Post#2198 » by Snakebites » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:27 pm

DarkSyde wrote:Heard Anthony Davis will be a free agent. Break the bank for him.

Yeah, I’m sure Weaver will be all over that.

Looks like Al Horford is going to OKC for Green. The Thunder are also getting a first rounder and a second. No detail on what picks are involved.

Is an interesting indicator of what “buying picks” by taking on bad contracts will cost (since many of of hope we’ll do that), though Green does also have some use as a player in Philly.
chrbal
RealGM
Posts: 18,262
And1: 559
Joined: Mar 02, 2001
Contact:

Re: Around the League 

Post#2199 » by chrbal » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:41 pm

Snakebites wrote:
DarkSyde wrote:Heard Anthony Davis will be a free agent. Break the bank for him.

Yeah, I’m sure Weaver will be all over that.

Looks like Al Horford is going to OKC for Green. The Thunder are also getting a first rounder and a second. No detail on what picks are involved.

Is an interesting indicator of what “buying picks” by taking on bad contracts will cost (since many of of hope we’ll do that), though Green does also have some use as a player in Philly.


Lightly protected 1st in like 2025 and 34 this year. Works for the sixers, thunder add more picks while probably moving on from Adams
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 36,170
And1: 6,422
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Around the League 

Post#2200 » by Snakebites » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:54 pm

chrbal wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
DarkSyde wrote:Heard Anthony Davis will be a free agent. Break the bank for him.

Yeah, I’m sure Weaver will be all over that.

Looks like Al Horford is going to OKC for Green. The Thunder are also getting a first rounder and a second. No detail on what picks are involved.

Is an interesting indicator of what “buying picks” by taking on bad contracts will cost (since many of of hope we’ll do that), though Green does also have some use as a player in Philly.


Lightly protected 1st in like 2025 and 34 this year. Works for the sixers, thunder add more picks while probably moving on from Adams

That’s a discouragingly high price for a first rounder that’s years away and an early second, TBH.

Maybe Horford is considered redeemable so his value is less negative?

Return to Detroit Pistons