ImageImageImage

Detroit Basketball Fantasy League - 2017

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Re: RE: Re: ESPN Fantasy Basketball League? 

Post#21 » by The Penguin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Which forces people to be more strategic when they draft!

If there's not enough top flight bigs and PGs to go around (& there's not) then some people in each league are gonna have to be smarter than the average player.

Tanking assists or blocks or FG% or boards...because even in a 10 team league there's really not enough quality bigs or PGs

That's what makes the league interesting IMO

If you have just 1 C you're likely to find half the teams are very similar

In this era of "positionless" basketball, ESPN is far too stingy with their position settings. How is Draymond eligible at SF but not at C, he plays many more minutes as their "center" than as a SF. Tobias has PF/SF eligibility, but Mook only has PF eligibility, he was our starting SF for the majority of last year. If you really wanted to dig into it, given his role shouldn't Lebron have PG eligibility? I digress.

I'm fine with whatever, but we need to get this thing started and people signed up, if we don't get enough we can always pull the plug. In regards to roster setting, I much prefer a daily setting over a weekly setting, as Coordinator mentioned, you can set it far in advance. I get absolutely slammed at work starting in February, so flexibility of when I can set my lineup would be greatly appreciated. I typically prefer a weekly "games played" limit for the matchup, which prevents people from just completely spamming games played and counting stats.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Re: RE: Re: ESPN Fantasy Basketball League? 

Post#22 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:33 pm

The Penguin wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Which forces people to be more strategic when they draft!

If there's not enough top flight bigs and PGs to go around (& there's not) then some people in each league are gonna have to be smarter than the average player.

Tanking assists or blocks or FG% or boards...because even in a 10 team league there's really not enough quality bigs or PGs

That's what makes the league interesting IMO

If you have just 1 C you're likely to find half the teams are very similar

In this era of "positionless" basketball, ESPN is far too stingy with their position settings. How is Draymond eligible at SF but not at C, he plays many more minutes as their "center" than as a SF. Tobias has PF/SF eligibility, but Mook only has PF eligibility, he was our starting SF for the majority of last year. If you really wanted to dig into it, given his role shouldn't Lebron have PG eligibility? I digress.

I'm fine with whatever, but we need to get this thing started and people signed up, if we don't get enough we can always pull the plug. In regards to roster setting, I much prefer a daily setting over a weekly setting, as Coordinator mentioned, you can set it far in advance. I get absolutely slammed at work starting in February, so flexibility of when I can set my lineup would be greatly appreciated. I typically prefer a weekly "games played" limit for the matchup, which prevents people from just completely spamming games played and counting stats.

I agree. I like the Yahoo leagues. Marcus and Tobias are SF/PF in Yahoos. And, that is more accurate because that is what they play.

But, even Yahoo is perfect. I noticed Josh Richardson is listed as SG/SF even though he plays PG/SG for the Heat and hardly even played SF except in certain situations.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Re: ESPN Fantasy Basketball League? 

Post#23 » by coordinator0 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:45 pm

For what it's worth ESPN's positional settings always start out pretty strict, but most players get eligibility at another one added after 10 or so games. Morris and Harris will be no exceptions. I'm not sure why they don't carry over their settings from last year but it's been that way for a while now.

In regards the the games played limit that's not a bad idea but I'm not sure what a good number would be to set it to. Using free agent auction waivers instead of regular waivers also discourages spamming games played because everybody only gets $100 to spend on free agents for the whole season. Minimum bid of $1. If anybody has questions about how it works I will explain. They're fairly simple once you get used to them.

We're still stuck on six members:

coordinator0
DBC10
BadMofoPimp
Han Solo
The Penguin
Pistons888

Definitely want more for the league be played. Like I said before I'm not sure how forum drafts work. How long do they take? What kind of time limits are put in place? I don't mind it at all just need some pointers before it gets going. I'm sure there's some random generator out there I can use to get an unbiased order up... when we get enough members.

Don't be afraid to play everybody! This is some good, clean competition that lets you naturally keep tabs on how players from other teams are performing. But fun is the biggest incentive. :D
RexRyan
Rookie
And1: 408

Post#24 » by RexRyan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm in.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by coordinator0 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:54 am

Up to seven! Would love to get three more. Come on everybody, you know you want to. 8-)
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#26 » by DBC10 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:31 pm

Yeah, come on folks, join in.

And marvel at my drafting genius. /sarcasm
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#27 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:03 pm

I posted on Magic board hopefully get a few.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by coordinator0 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:25 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I posted on Magic board hopefully get a few.

Fine by me. As long as we have a full league of active members I don't care what team they cheer for. :lol:
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by coordinator0 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:07 pm

http://games.espn.com/fba/leagueoffice?leagueId=102938&seasonId=2017

That's the link to the league. Check out the settings. Right now this is how I have it set:

Roster: PG / SG / SF / PF / C / G / F / UTIL / BN / BN / BN / BN / BN

Scoring: PTS, REB, AST, STL, BLK, 3PM, FG%, FT%, TO (negative)

One division, top four teams make the playoffs. Playoff matchups are two weeks long.

No undroppable players. Waivers are free agent auction that process every day at 11 a.m. EST. Everybody gets $100 for the whole season to spend on free agents. There's a limit of 7 players that can be signed per matchup, but that changes depending on how many days a matchup covers.

Trade deadline is February 22nd, which I believe is the last day of the all star break. Two days for trade review and it takes six votes to veto a trade.

I think that's about it. Not a whole lot of time left to discuss things before getting the draft going if we're doing it on the forum. Hopefully three more members join soon.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#30 » by TPA » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:05 pm

I don't want to take from the OP's original, but I also don't want to clutter the board with a bunch of similar posts. I hope that's OK.

I have a long running Yahoo league that I have commissioned with members of another Pistons board. I had to drop a couple of managers this year, and I'm having trouble filling those spots. If you'd like to join, we draft tomorrow night at 8PM. Join @ the link, below.

https://yho.com/nba?l=30688&k=bb36c0a75fac8452&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=ff2491717246cd37

10 Teams
PTS, REB, AST, STL, BLK, 3PM, FG%, FT%, A/TO%

Rosters:
POINT GUARD (PG) 1
SHOOTING GUARD (SG) 1
GUARD (G) 1
SMALL FORWARD (SF) 1
POWER FORWARD (PF) 1
FORWARD (F) 1
CENTER (C) 2
UTILITY (UTIL) 2
INJURED LIST (IL) 1
BENCH (BN) 3
Cappadon22
Junior
And1: 17

Post#31 » by Cappadon22 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:56 pm

I just left my dynasty league in ESPN; and would admittedly miss what I've been doing the last few years. I'm in.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by coordinator0 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:00 am

We have eight! Two more to go! Please?
mattyj
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#33 » by mattyj » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Im in
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by coordinator0 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:25 pm

Nine!!! One more volunteer, then we really need to get going on the draft.

If we are doing the draft on the forum, what sort of time limits should be set? Right now we're looking at 10 teams with 13 players on a roster, so 130 players drafted over 13 rounds. A hour for each pick would mean 130 hours, or roughly five and a half days at the grand total. That's cutting it close and doesn't even factor in an overnight freeze. I know not all picks will take an hour, especially if we have a dedicated group, but we REALLY need to stay on top of it or else doing it online via the ESPn app or website is our only option.

Hopefully someone else signs up tonight so we can go.
mattyj
Veteran

Post#35 » by mattyj » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:29 am

Go with live draft ... doing it offline takes too long with the season so close
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by coordinator0 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:19 am

Yeah, I think we're forced into a live draft. Just not enough time to comfortably complete a forum draft now that another day has passed on no member singed up.

So I'm going to need email addresses from everybody so I can send out invites to the ESPN league. Just PM them to me if you don't feel comfortable posting them in the thread. I will send them out ASAP. Draft will probably be Monday night, around 7-8 p.m. EST.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Re: ESPN Fantasy Basketball League - Invites Being Sent 

Post#37 » by coordinator0 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:02 am

DBC10 - Invite sent.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#38 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:25 am

PM me invite and I will reply with my email.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
mattyj
Veteran

Post#39 » by mattyj » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:45 am

Pm sent with my email
coordinator0
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by coordinator0 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:33 am