Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Re: Your Final Evaluation of KCP 

Post#321 » by Snakebites » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:29 am

sc8581 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
sc8581 wrote:
You said "best possible performance", that more than suggests you're speaking of one game. He shot about 40% from 3 the first half of the season, that's a decent sized sample and enough for me to believe he has a reasonable chance to shoot 37-38% over the next several years. His ball handling and playmaking continue to improve and he still takes care of the ball, combine that with his defense and hustle and I don't believe "a lot of guys" have that type of potential impact.

I've always argued that his problem is consistency. Always.

Maybe "best possible" wasn't the best choice of individual words but I believe I've been very consistent in my position throughout this entire discussion.

Splits aside, he's never had a year where he was close to a 55 TS%. Never. Not even remotely close. His efficiency has actually hovered pretty consistently between 50 and 52 TS% in all but his rookie year, and its because he's simply never been able to have enough good games to make for a good season overall.

Even if he hit 40% in the first half of the season, the reality is that his overall scoring efficiency did not improve on iota last season relative to the previous one. In other words, his second half was more than terrible enough to cancel out what happened in the first.
Why invest 20 mill per year in a guy who is well below average in efficiency, has been there for the last 3 years, and has made no meaningful forward progress from one season to another?

If you like the guy and feel in your gut that he can be better that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But the data doesn't support that unless you look at it selectively, as you have been. I'm looking at it wholesale. And wholesale the numbers don't say this guy is worth that. They just don't.

You can't look at a single player on the Pistons individually and say they are efficient yet somehow we still were in the playoff hunt until that awful streak toward the end, we were actually in the hunt for the 5th seed. Our defense certainly wasn't the reason for this, a bad conference helped but again not the only reason. If you judge simply off of typical offensive and defensive efficiency stats we should have been a bottom 3 team in basketball, there are so many other factors that can make a player efficient.

But that terrible stretch towards the end COUNTS. You can't just throw it out, look at the good part, and say that's what a player can be. The bad stretches have to impact where we evaluate a players ceiling.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DET/2017.html

Our expected W/L based on our overall defensive rating was 38-44. The advanced stats pretty much correctly predicted our W/L for the season. So I have no idea what you were getting at with that last paragraph.

And you know what? None of this matters. If you're going to claim KCP is a good enough player to warrant 20 million dollars per year, the burden of proof is on you, not on me to prove otherwise.

Show me something concrete that shows that KCP is good enough for 20 mill per year. I'm still waiting for it. Because there's no numbers that show it unless you're being selective. None whatsoever. The numbers paint him as a below average starter or solid bench player. And they're what we have to go by.

If the market says overpay, to hell with the market. This is NOT a group we want to get stuck in luxury tax territory with. And if KCP was worth the money I'd say pay the man and figure out how to get under the LT some other way. But the data says he's not. And to my mind it says that pretty loudly.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#322 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:30 am

With the addition of Luke Kennard I'd let KCP walk as the first domino to fall.

Trade Mook, Dre, RJ, Jon for whatever you can get and tank

Since that ain't gonna happen I need to accept reality:

KCP will be retained on a contract most of us here won't be happy with.

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#323 » by Snakebites » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:38 am

Pharaoh wrote:With the addition of Luke Kennard I'd let KCP walk as the first domino to fall.

Unfortunately at this point VanBower is in the same situation Dumars was in his closing time here- probably under the gun and feeling pressure to show signs of improvement in the team and get them back into the playoffs or they're outta here.

Being in that situation doesn't lend itself to the sort of long term thinking it would take to follow this path. It lends itself to shortsighted, risky, and expensive moves designed to hopefully maximize our short term win total. It also lends itself to gambling, because why do you care if the team is screwed after you're fired? Just throw money at the wall and hope that something sticks.

Unfortunately, nothing succeeds like success, and nothing fails like failure.

We haven't broken that cycle yet. We're probably going to overpay to keep KCP, and he's probably not going to improve. :(
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#324 » by bjones521 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:19 am

Pharaoh wrote:With the addition of Luke Kennard I'd let KCP walk as the first domino to fall.

I Wish, Id love if SVG traded RJ for some better mades and let Ish start with Kennard and Ellenson starting.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Your Final Evaluation of KCP 

Post#325 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 am

Snakebites wrote:

Unfortunately at this point VanBower is in the same situation Dumars was in his closing time here- probably under the gun and feeling pressure to show signs of improvement in the team and get them back into the playoffs or they're outta here.

Being in that situation doesn't lend itself to the sort of long term thinking it would take to follow this path. It lends itself to shortsighted, risky, and expensive moves designed to hopefully maximize our short term win total. It also lends itself to gambling, because why do you care if the team is screwed after you're fired? Just throw money at the wall and hope that something sticks.

Unfortunately, nothing succeeds like success, and nothing fails like failure.

We haven't broken that cycle yet. We're probably going to overpay to keep KCP, and he's probably not going to improve. :(

IMO we haven't broken that cycle because we haven't had that one guy that can lead the team.

Kinda like what Ben Wallace gave us...it took getting Chauncey for that to really matter

KCP might be the Big Ben...but we don't appear to have a Chauncey - unless Tobias is it?

Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,777

Post#326 » by Collymore » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Pharaoh wrote:KCP might be the Big Ben...but we don't appear to have a Chauncey - unless Tobias is it?

:lol:
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Your Final Evaluation of KCP 

Post#327 » by Pharaoh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 am

Collymore wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:KCP might be the Big Ben...but we don't appear to have a Chauncey - unless Tobias is it?

:lol:

I meant as far as leadership goes:

Big Ben was a "actions speak louder than words" leader. Worked extremely hard

Chauncey was the type of leader to include everyone - much like Manu with the Spurs.

From all reports KCP is like Big Ben but we dont have a Chauncey...& Tobias seems to be more of a isolationist as far as working out

I wasn't talking about them as players or skills - it was in reference to leadership styles

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,965

Post#328 » by tmorgan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:33 am

The closest thing this team his to a leader, Chauncey-style, is clearly Mook Morris. But he's just an average player that uses too many possessions on iso ball.
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#329 » by StunnaStan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:00 pm

for no reason should we break the bank to max out kcp of all people. why would we max a guy who ccant create his own shot, cant triple threat, and has no ball handle. let kantavious kickback pope walk and start sj or luke. or start them both and bench mook
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#330 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:17 pm

StunnaStan wrote:for no reason should we break the bank to max out kcp of all people. why would we max a guy who ccant create his own shot, cant triple threat, and has no ball handle. let kantavious kickback pope walk and start sj or luke. or start them both and bench mook

His max is $27 mil - nobody wants to pay that!

$20 mil? Likely market value since Hill & Jrue are being spoken about in that range.

pistontr
Analyst
And1: 275

Post#331 » by pistontr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:01 pm

he has only 1 all defense vote (I am sure that I will heard "but they vote isaiah thomas, too" as an argument)
Sorry for my poor english
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,048

Post#332 » by bstein14 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:05 pm

KCP at 4 years $80 million is probably where we want to be with that contract.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,105

Post#333 » by Kilo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:31 pm

I wonder if Stanley Johnson could play shooting guard for us - he slimmed down during last season, and looks even slimmer in the SL interview. I think after going H2H with Lebron during the playoffs during his rookie year he took the message that he needed to get bigger and stronger to be able to guard Lebron so he bulked up but it just slowed him down.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
pistontr
Analyst
And1: 275

Post#334 » by pistontr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Kilo wrote:I wonder if Stanley Johnson could play shooting guard for us - he slimmed down during last season, and looks even slimmer in the SL interview. I think after going H2H with Lebron during the playoffs during his rookie year he took the message that he needed to get bigger and stronger to be able to guard Lebron so he bulked up but it just slowed him down.

I think he is slow even for SF position.
Sorry for my poor english
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#335 » by coordinator0 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Kilo wrote:I wonder if Stanley Johnson could play shooting guard for us - he slimmed down during last season, and looks even slimmer in the SL interview. I think after going H2H with Lebron during the playoffs during his rookie year he took the message that he needed to get bigger and stronger to be able to guard Lebron so he bulked up but it just slowed him down.

I don't think so, because even if he's slimmed down I wouldn't want him switching onto point guards defensively. Stanley doesn't have absurd length to help him make up for being slower and less quick.

Return to Detroit Pistons