ImageImageImage

Budenholzer steps down as team president, remains coach

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#1 » by flow » Fri May 5, 2017 2:13 pm

Stan should take a cue and do the opposite.

DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Re: Budenholzer steps down as team president, remains coach 

Post#2 » by DCintheD » Fri May 5, 2017 2:34 pm

flow wrote:Stan should take a cue and do the opposite.

or just resign completely.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#3 » by bballnmike » Fri May 5, 2017 2:42 pm

Or do neither. So many options!
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 731

Post#4 » by A_dub06 » Fri May 5, 2017 2:53 pm

I think he should step down completely and take the position of an "advisor" as he's made some good trades, but his coaching and vision for the team/players is putrid. I think he would have some good input but I don't want him making calls essentially.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#5 » by theBigLip » Fri May 5, 2017 4:19 pm

Tough crowd :-)

I was disappointed as anyone was this season, but I don't think Stan needs to quit because of it. We really do have a much better roster than when he first came, and he totally did the smart thing by signing RJ and maxing Dre. Unfortunately, RJ got hurt and Dre is getting soft, and now they both make Stan the coach and Stan the GM look not so smart. But we all agreed at the time that those were the right moves.

I expect more moves this offseason, I certainly think Stan should stay as both coach and GM one more year.
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#6 » by bballnmike » Fri May 5, 2017 4:45 pm

theBigLip wrote:Tough crowd :-)

I was disappointed as anyone was this season, but I don't think Stan needs to quit because of it. We really do have a much better roster than when he first came, and he totally did the smart thing by signing RJ and maxing Dre. Unfortunately, RJ got hurt and Dre is getting soft, and now they both make Stan the coach and Stan the GM look not so smart. But we all agreed at the time that those were the right moves.

I expect more moves this offseason, I certainly think Stan should stay as both coach and GM one more year.

I'm with you. I think people here must be used to firing a coach every 2 or 3 years
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#7 » by flow » Fri May 5, 2017 4:50 pm

Not all. :wink:
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#8 » by Kilo » Fri May 5, 2017 4:56 pm

Meh, he'd just name Bob Beyer as his head coach. And probably give him a ridiculously long leash as well because he knows the life of a coach.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
ChuckVanBrown
Senior
And1: 352

Post#9 » by ChuckVanBrown » Fri May 5, 2017 5:02 pm

I don't see SVG firing himself or having himself take a pay cut/demotion. The whole reason we made him president is because he didn't want to coach without front office control, based on what went down in MIA and ORL.

It was a disappointing season, and I think SVG the president and coach both deserve blame for underperforming. I still think he's a good coach overall though, and made some nice front office moves. I'm ok with him having another year at both positions to see if he can get us back in the right direction.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#10 » by mattao313 » Fri May 5, 2017 5:07 pm

I think should step down as coach if we go into full rebuild mode.
Championships
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,598

Post#11 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 5, 2017 5:35 pm

Stan is doing fine and still recovering the team after Dumars regime.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#12 » by Billl » Fri May 5, 2017 5:57 pm

I think our overall talent level is up considerably under stan. Missing the playoffs now counts as under performing vs just being the norm.

The question is where we go from here? We have some decent offensive talent, but they all play different styles. Defensively, stan seems to want to play low risk position defense, but our PG and Center only seem interested in making the flashy play and totally drift otherwise.
Pugz
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#13 » by Pugz » Fri May 5, 2017 6:21 pm

tough crowd. i was upset with the season but we cant keep hitting the reset button on the sideline.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#14 » by DBC10 » Fri May 5, 2017 8:20 pm

Yeah, I still like SVG despite my criticisms of him. There were bright spots in this season when players like Ish, Tobias, and KCP really stepped up and played a well functioning offense. Really, the problem is the personnel and certain guys being rigid in their discipline.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#15 » by Manocad » Fri May 5, 2017 10:26 pm

bballnmike wrote:

I'm with you. I think people here must be used to firing a coach every 2 or 3 years

2 or 3 years? People here want to change the coach and the entire roster EVERY year.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#16 » by whitehops » Sat May 6, 2017 12:19 am

SVG stepped into a team with an awful roster, completely re-hauled the roster in two years and the third year was underwhelming. i think he deserves more time before people are calling for him to resign to be honest.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#17 » by dVs33 » Sat May 6, 2017 1:10 am

if reggie was healthy, we don't have this conversation.
Complete overhaul of the roster in a couple years is pretty impressive imo. Despite how frustrating last season was, id take it over the Stuckey/rip/bg/Charlie v years where playoffs weren't even a consideration.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#18 » by Pharaoh » Sat May 6, 2017 2:07 am

The fact that missing the playoffs meant we underperformed is a 180 from where we were before SVG

No surprise people want him gone lol

Same old story where some believe that if we keep turning over coaches and players at some point we'll stumble upon a gun team

That's hilarious!

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 731

Post#19 » by A_dub06 » Sat May 6, 2017 2:51 am

My issue is that I expect SVG to have a much greater feel and idea for the direction of the team, the development of players and the path taking us to contending then virtually everyone but 29 others in the world. I expect him to be able to see players for what they are and the fact he would see these guys interact, train and play for the majority of the year he should be able to spot weaknesses and adjust accordingly.

We as fans were happy with both RJ's and Drummond's deals at the time but we are simply fans and only get to see them play. Many of us saw the glaring issues early on and at that time, I expect SVG to be able to identify these and trade players before it becomes a league wide fact that our major guys have major holes that may never be fixed so we can still capitalise on the perceived talent. Sure it's easy for us couch Gm/coaches to comment and speak is if we know better, but the fact remains RJ seems unwilling to change his selfish ways and Dre doesn't give a **** about fulfilling his heavenly high potential. Those are qualities that don't just change overnight, there would have been signs if not blatantly obvious signals that neither of these guys will pan out in practice and behind the scenes.

In terms of being a gm SVG has failed to properly evaluate talent and in terms of being a coach he inconsistently applies his values/philosophies to players and heavily struggles to adapt on the fly. These negatives to me are as bad if not worse than the struggles of RJ & Dre as players.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#20 » by DETermination » Sat May 6, 2017 3:21 am

I'm as disappointed as anyone in how we played last season but really who out there is a better option then SVG as our coach? Our roster was 10 times worse than it was before SVG came here and no doubt he knows we need to add shooting to this team so hopefully he does. I was down on SVG a lot this season and part of me wanted him gone too but I really don't see who would be a better option, lets hope he makes some positive changes this offseason and gets these players to play hard for him next season and if that doesn't happen and we suck again next season then yeah he should be gone.
Detroit vs Everybody

Return to Detroit Pistons