Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,045

Re: Pistons Agree to Terms w/ Langston Galloway 

Post#341 » by Laimbeer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:21 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: KCP, Morris and Baynes aren't anything special either. Baynes IDK, the stats back it up but he was far from anything to worry about for me as I even like Boban better and want him to get a chance. Baynes just can't jump at all. It's about good ball movement and spreading the floor while actually being able to hit the shots when open. Guarantee this team will be better with Harris taking over for Morris, Bradley taking over KCP and Boban over Baynes. Also allows to develop Johnson and Ellenson more.

And who's taking over for Harris? We're basically going from Mook/Harris to Leuer/Harris. Neither that or Boban for Baynes is a win, IMO.

Was Leuer not our starter?

Last year Mook, Harris, and Leuer were basically our forward rotation. Mook is gone. Now it's Harris, Leuer, and...
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#342 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
And who's taking over for Harris? We're basically going from Mook/Harris to Leuer/Harris. Neither that or Boban for Baynes is a win, IMO.

Was Leuer not our starter?

Last year Mook, Harris, and Leuer were basically our forward rotation. Mook is gone. Now it's Harris, Leuer, and...

Right, so now we get to finally give our first rounders some time to show out. We were literally a lottery team blocking multiple 1st rounders playing time over mediocre older players. The main thing though is getting better at 3 point shooting as that's are downfall and none of those guys helped but instead just hurt
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#343 » by Snakebites » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:26 pm

It does appear that Stanley is going to be relied upon heavily for minutes.

One has to wonder if we'd have invested in a small forward rather than a guard knowing what we know now. Shrug.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#344 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Snakebites wrote:It does appear that Stanley is going to be relied upon heavily for minutes.

One has to wonder if we'd have invested in a small forward rather than a guard knowing what we know now. Shrug.

We gotta find out though while we still suck if the kid can be something as we spent a top 10 pick. This is make or break time. Hell these 1st rounders have a lot of value and I would rather just trade them if we don't want to play them.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#345 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Snakebites wrote:It does appear that Stanley is going to be relied upon heavily for minutes.

Also that was just a rare chance with Bradley we couldn't pass up on. Don't think a scenario where a two way SF of his level would have been available.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,045

Post#346 » by Laimbeer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:40 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: Was Leuer not our starter?

Right, so now we get to finally give our first rounders some time to show out. We were literally a lottery team blocking multiple 1st rounders playing time over mediocre older players. The main thing though is getting better at 3 point shooting as that's are downfall and none of those guys helped but instead just hurt

You seem to be assuming SJ and Ellenson are good now and they're just getting blocked. I hope you're right, but I don't see it. SJ was downright awful at times. Going out and getting drummed doesn't really develop young players.

I mean, it may be more beneficial in moving them along, I don't know. But my point was more to the fact we haven't improved for this season.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#347 » by bstein14 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:41 pm

I feel like with AB here we have a chance to have a big transition to becoming a defensive minded team. Bradley might just be the locker room leader and floor general this team really needed. With that being said, I think Ish and Galloway will earn most of the PG minutes and Reggie likely isn't part of the rotation most of this season.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#348 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

You seem to be assuming SJ and Ellenson are good now and they're just getting blocked. I hope you're right, but I don't see it. SJ was downright awful at times. Going out and getting drummed doesn't really develop young players.

I mean, it may be more beneficial in moving them along, I don't know. But my point was more to the fact we haven't improved for this season.

It's not that I'm assuming they will just be good but rather than we need to find out as SJ only has two years left on his deal.

I mean u spend a lot of time on the T&T board and know how valuable 1st round picks can be on there. If your not even going to develop your selection then just package it off for more NBA ready talent like the Mooks of the world but we both know we would be pissed doing that. Either way you only have 4 years of that rookie contract to see what you got. Can't draft the kids and then want to play mediocre players instead cause they are NBA ready now.
ChipButty
Senior
And1: 89

Re: RE: Re: Pistons Agree to Terms w/ Langston Galloway 

Post#349 » by ChipButty » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
jakebernat wrote:
What I'm arguing is that retaining him on the QO does nothing for us besides prolong the enevitable, KCP walking.

And you actually beilieve that SVG "did him a solid"? As if he actually owes these guys a favor?? Get real, he moved on because it was clear that both sides were so far apart that further negotiations would be pointless.

I hate when young players with potential are on expiring contracts. Its like the league hates them

That's not what he said dude.

We offered $16 mil per and Rich Paul said it wasn't even close.

What was close? $20 mil? $22 mil?

How far would you have gone for KCP?

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app

I believe we should have handled the situation the same way we handled the Monroe situation or the same way Cuban is handling the Noel negotiations. Pick the price you believe to be a good deal and stick to it. I think 5/80 was a good offer.

Worst case he signs the QO. Not ideal, but I do not believe it was the most likely outcome or would have necessarily been a bad situation. I can't think of many players that have played for the QO and I do not remember it ever being a problem. Ben Gordon played some amazing ball in the playoffs when he played for the QO, although that situation didn't work out very well for us. :lol:

I think Galloway was a signing we could afford to wait on, even if it meant possibly missing out. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#350 » by DCintheD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:23 pm

Still trying to figure out why we signed Galloway...
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#351 » by hoophabit » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:06 pm

DCintheD wrote:Still trying to figure out why we signed Galloway...

3 & D rotation guard. Team isn't spending big money on him, despite all the whining.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Pistons Agree to Terms w/ Langston Galloway 

Post#352 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:08 pm

ChipButty wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:
I hate when young players with potential are on expiring contracts. Its like the league hates them

That's not what he said dude.

We offered $16 mil per and Rich Paul said it wasn't even close.

What was close? $20 mil? $22 mil?

How far would you have gone for KCP?

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app

I believe we should have handled the situation the same way we handled the Monroe situation or the same way Cuban is handling the Noel negotiations. Pick the price you believe to be a good deal and stick to it. I think 5/80 was a good offer.

Worst case he signs the QO. Not ideal, but I do not believe it was the most likely outcome or would have necessarily been a bad situation. I can't think of many players that have played for the QO and I do not remember it ever being a problem. Ben Gordon played some amazing ball in the playoffs when he played for the QO, although that situation didn't work out very well for us. :lol:

I think Galloway was a signing we could afford to wait on, even if it meant possibly missing out. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

That's a line of thinking before acquiring Bradley. After that the 5/80 is definitely off the table and we wouldn't even waste time with him as our cap situation is crap and not wasting more of it on a below avg SG at the moment when the position is covered. He's just not that good of a player to warrant luxury tax zone.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#353 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:10 pm

hoophabit wrote:

3 & D rotation guard. Team isn't spending big money on him, despite all the whining.

It just looks a bit worse cause of the new cap but it's still just using part of the MLE on him.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#354 » by jakebernat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:45 pm

I mean, we did get him for a fair price, and he is a 3&D rotational guard on just about every team in the league. It's not like he's some albatross contract that we'll be stuck with.

Remember when SVG traded Augustine only months after signing him? That's how I see this deal. We acquired an asset without giving anything up, so if the right deal came along, I'm sure we could/would move him. Otherwise, he's just a good depth piece.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#355 » by flow » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:57 am

July 1 - Langston Galloway is signed by a team for $21 mil, 3 yrs.

August 1 - Ian Clark is signed by a team for $1.6 mil, 1 yr.

:noway:
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#356 » by MotownMadness » Wed Aug 2, 2017 3:05 pm

flow wrote:July 1 - Langston Galloway is signed by a team for $21 mil, 3 yrs.

August 1 - Ian Clark is signed by a team for $1.6 mil, 1 yr.

:noway:

Master Of Panic
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#357 » by The Penguin » Wed Aug 2, 2017 5:15 pm

The small forward market was really really bad this offseason. I wouldn't have minded giving Galloway's contract (or the full MLE) to Mirotic or Jamychel Green, but who knows if they would have signed for that much or if that would simply be matched. Other than that I'm not sure there's anyone we missed out on.
The Penguin

Post#358 » by The Penguin » Wed Aug 2, 2017 5:18 pm

People don't agree with me and that's fine, but I don't think Stan had any intention of matching a KCP offer sheet above what we offered him originally. I think Galloway + Kennard + maybe Stanley was the direction he was going to go at the 2 guard, unless KCP came down to Stan's price. Bradley was just a happy accident, a clear talent upgrade from Mook.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#359 » by Canadafan » Wed Aug 2, 2017 5:56 pm

RJ Bradley
LG Kennard
All 4 guys can shoot the 3. All can handle the ball and make plays.
Ish had a good year but he's expendable and can get us a decent Return. Pair him with Ellenson and you got yourself a brand new shiny forward.
Galloway is our new backup PG. This makes the Kennard fans happy too instead of just letting him rot on the bench. Ellenson will be rotting on the bench lol so we might as well deal him with Ish for somebody that can help now. Any suggestions fellow positive minded pistons fans? :)
The Penguin

Post#360 » by The Penguin » Wed Aug 2, 2017 6:03 pm

Canadafan wrote:RJ Bradley
LG Kennard
All 4 guys can shoot the 3. All can handle the ball and make plays.
Ish had a good year but he's expendable and can get us a decent Return. Pair him with Ellenson and you got yourself a brand new shiny forward.
Galloway is our new backup PG. This makes the Kennard fans happy too instead of just letting him rot on the bench. Ellenson will be rotting on the bench lol so we might as well deal him with Ish for somebody that can help now. Any suggestions fellow positive minded pistons fans? :)

I think we'll be keeping Ish until Reggie proves he's fully healthy. Ish and Boban will likely have higher trade value next year as expiring deals, so if Stanley and/or Ellenson don't step up and prove themselves as part of this team going forward, hopefully they maintain enough value whoever we want to move can be included in the ~$13 mil expiring from Ish/Boban and maybe with a pick so we can get a real starting forward out of the deal.

Return to Detroit Pistons